Why do you enjoy cruising?

breeze123

I was thinking about this the other day. People who enjoy cruising really seem to LOVE it and don't vary their vacations very much (meaning cruise regularly instead of planning some other form of vacation). So why do you love to cruise?

We tend to do port intensive cruises where there are sights to see and things to do. We aren't beach people so we aren't interested in cruising to a beach and hanging out in the sand all day. So for us it's great to have hotel and food paid for for a week and get to visit various places that we could never do on our own for the same cost.

We love to cruise. We go on about 2 cruise vacations (often b2b's) each year, but we also usually go on one land based vacation, ie a land tour or a river cruise. For instance last fall we went on a Russian River Cruise. Next year, we go to Poland, the Chech Republic and the a cruise on the Elbe.

We love to cruise for a variety of reasons. The first one being we like to unpack once and stay unpacked. The second, the ease of cruising. Everything is included, the relative safety of the ship, someone else does the driving, etc.

We too like port intensive cruises and we're not really beach people. We like to snorkel, but not lay out at the beach. Cruising enables us to see locations that we would never otherwise see - meaning you can't drive to an island.

Not healthy enough for any other type of vacations, don't want just to fry on a beach, don't drive - so for me it's nearly the only option to see other parts of the world.

And now I'm spoiled by not having to think where to have the next meal, how to get to the next hotel, what to do if it rains.

Unpack once

Everything included (except drinks of course)

See places we would not likely get to

Its just great value for the money.

I agree completely. Also- I absolutely love the ocean. Being able to sit on my balcony or out on deck and watch the sea is wonderful. You can also see the stars so clearly at night- I haven't seen anything like that on land.

The number #1 reason I like to cruise is because it allows people with different traveling styles to both choose their own activities and preferences while still vacationing together. I can get up and join in the activities while my companion sleeps in and spends the day reading by the pool. We're both happy and we have plenty of chances to reconnect over the course of the day for excursions, meals, and entertainment. Neither of us worries about safety or security or losing our way back to the meeting point :)

#2 is for the service. You just can't be pampered in the same way unless a crew member takes the time to get to know you and your preferences. Having the same waiter, etc. for an entire week means they will start to ancticipate your needs, which really makes it feel like vacation!

#3 is that I don't end up as tired at the end of the vacation as I do on other trips. I don't have to get myself from place to place so I save time in transport and instead spend that extra time enjoying vacation or simply relaxing.

#4 is that I get to visit places that seem interesting, but not interesting enough to justify a week-long vacation in the same place. For example, I'm really looking forward to my day on St. Kitt's, but there's not enough to do there that I would ever book a whole trip just to that island. So I get a taste of the best the island has to offer and then the next day I'll head to another island!

To be fair...I do prefer "land" vacations more than cruising, but I think mixing and matching both types of trips is a best case scenario :)

I love cruising but for sure wouldn't do it as my only vacation or yearly.

But... what I love about it:

Sitdown breakfast, lunch, tea, and dinner

No worries free entertainment, pool, etc., but I know I couldn't do this more than once a year.

Wakeup in a different port every day or so for a different adventure without packing and unpacking.

I was thinking about this the other day. People who enjoy cruising really seem to LOVE it and don't vary their vacations very much (meaning cruise regularly instead of planning some other form of vacation). So why do you love to cruise?

We tend to do port intensive cruises where there are sights to see and things to do. We aren't beach people so we aren't interested in cruising to a beach and hanging out in the sand all day. So for us it's great to have hotel and food paid for for a week and get to visit various places that we could never do on our own for the same cost.

I love cruising but for sure wouldn't do it as my only vacation or yearly.

We're on the other end of the spectrum, preferring cruising to most other types of vacations when the main reason for the vacation is relaxation (at least, in the Caribbean). We've done land vacays and even all-inclusives. They're just not the same.

I think we would probably prefer land vacations in Europe. I went to Spain a while back and really enjoyed it. I think it would be wonderful to spend a few weeks in Italy.

For the sea- rough or smooth, I like to be on it or near it.

For the sail-ins.....there's a vast difference between sailing into Santorini caldera and flying into a dusty airport at the other side of the island.....that holds true for most ports.

For the opportunities to learn about countries and people you may never otherwise visit.

And for the sail-aways.....watching ports slowly disappear in the evening light, and knowing there's another one coming soon.

Jo. :)

You know, my husband for years and years and years kept saying he'd never enjoy going on a cruise and wasn't interested (something to do with being in the Navy). Talked him into his first cruise about 11/2 years ago and now he loves it! I was worried, it was a 16 day cruise. He loved sitting on the deck 'watching the world go by' and just kicking back. I think he also enjoyed meeting and chatting with new folks. We've got our next cruise booked for 1/2012.

The number #1 reason I like to cruise is because it allows people with different traveling styles to both choose their own activities and preferences while still vacationing together. I can get up and join in the activities while my companion sleeps in and spends the day reading by the pool. We're both happy and we have plenty of chances to reconnect over the course of the day for excursions, meals, and entertainment. Neither of us worries about safety or security or losing our way back to the meeting point :)

#2 is for the service. You just can't be pampered in the same way unless a crew member takes the time to get to know you and your preferences. Having the same waiter, etc. for an entire week means they will start to ancticipate your needs, which really makes it feel like vacation!

#3 is that I don't end up as tired at the end of the vacation as I do on other trips. I don't have to get myself from place to place so I save time in transport and instead spend that extra time enjoying vacation or simply relaxing.

#4 is that I get to visit places that seem interesting, but not interesting enough to justify a week-long vacation in the same place. For example, I'm really looking forward to my day on St. Kitt's, but there's not enough to do there that I would ever book a whole trip just to that island. So I get a taste of the best the island has to offer and then the next day I'll head to another island!

To be fair...I do prefer "land" vacations more than cruising, but I think mixing and matching both types of trips is a best case scenario :)

What a good answer!! (Are you my twin? - I agree with you completely!!:D) My DH and I have different styles of vacationing, and cruising makes it easier for us to do it together.

I really enjoyed my day with Thenford Grey last time in St Kitts - went to the beach afterwords. The Fort was amazing! Next time there we plan to go to Nevis. Whichever - have fun!

cruising allows us to see alot in a short amount of time and go to places we never would travel to, experience different things and come away with amazing lasting memories!!

its very affordable if we didnt have to fly it would be down right CHEAP...sometimes we CANT AFFORD TO STAY HOME!!!

hubby likes 'someone' else doing the driving on our vacation and we just enjoy being on the ship--it just a whole new world when you step on a ship--i dont see us getting tired of this vacation way for a very very very long time!!

As others have said, there are many reasons.

1. The friendly service is unsurpassed. At a hotel, the staff doesn't get to know my name, where I'm from or how I take my coffee. Like the old Celebrity commercials used to imply, for the time I'm on board, I feel like I'm treated like someone important. On my budget, I don't get that anywhere else!!

2. The social aspects of cruising appeal to me. Unlike a land vacation - even an all-inclusive - on a cruise everyone is starting and finishing their vacations together. Those folks you meet on day one will be sharing your vacation for the entire cruise. I've made great friends on cruises. So many wonderful memories!!

3. Like others have said, I like visiting multiple locations on the same vacation, without having to pack and unpack to do so.

4. My cabin steward! Not having to make my bed and having a towel animal every night...awesome!!

5. Great shows, activities, night life, music, games...

6. The SEA!! I've never sprung for a balcony, but waking up and looking out the window at the ocean is the perfect way to start the day!!

7. And yeah...I like to food too!!:D

As others have said, there are many reasons.

1. The friendly service is unsurpassed. At a hotel, the staff doesn't get to know my name, where I'm from or how I take my coffee. Like the old Celebrity commercials used to imply, for the time I'm on board, I feel like I'm treated like someone important. On my budget, I don't get that anywhere else!!

2. The social aspects of cruising appeal to me. Unlike a land vacation - even an all-inclusive - on a cruise everyone is starting and finishing their vacations together. Those folks you meet on day one will be sharing your vacation for the entire cruise. I've made great friends on cruises. So many wonderful memories!!

3. Like others have said, I like visiting multiple locations on the same vacation, without having to pack and unpack to do so.

4. My cabin steward! Not having to make my bed and having a towel animal every night...awesome!!

5. Great shows, activities, night life, music, games...

6. The SEA!! I've never sprung for a balcony, but waking up and looking out the window at the ocean is the perfect way to start the day!!

7. And yeah...I like to food too!!:D

All of the above, and I don't have to do anything but enjoy and leave any stress and worry back home . I just love to be on a ship on the sea, it is the most beautiful and relaxing times.

Cori

As we have a small farm and both have busy long houred employment, we are constantly on the go and busy.

With our children, animals and work, we have a "Life on the Move".

Cruising for us, gives up the ability to stop completely and smell the roses. We love to dress up and stay clean. We love to have everything laid on for us. For us to simply not have to get into our cars to drive to the next job is pure pleasure. I can plan all our tours before we go and then relax and let it all happen. We are free to enjoy a guilt free drink or snack at any time of the day. An afternoon lolling about is pure bliss. We don't have to get up if we want to - no listening to a cacophony of demanding animals or noisy kids....

ahhh crusing - just a total relax and see the some wonderful different ways of life. Without lifting too many fingers....

Archived