A little nervous about a sold-out cruise

warmwinds

I may have been on completely sold out cruises before but didn't know it...this one is showing no availability whatsoever. What happens if someone has a terrible problem with their cabin (plumbing problems, etc.)...where do they put them?

If you've been on a sold out cruise before, was it more crowded than usual?

many cruises are sold out as the cruise lines dump unsold cabins at the last minute to fill up the ships. If you have a cabin problem, they will fix it rather than change cabins.

It depends on the ship a bigger ship can handle it more easily. There is always one or two cabins not sold (due to people being 3-4 in one room). Once they reach max number they can not sell any more cabins. They always keep one or two cabins in reserve for emergencies (rescue missions ect) They can give you a room if yours is not good for you (ie leaky toilet that can not be fixed.)

many cruises are sold out as the cruise lines dump unsold cabins at the last minute to fill up the ships. If you have a cabin problem, they will fix it rather than change cabins.

This is not really true. If that was the case, everyone would wait until the last second to book their cruise. Cruise lines blowing out inventory at the last second is the biggest myth of all.

We had a problem with our cabin on a Holland American cruise a few years back. It was not so bad and that we couldn't use it, just a nuisance. The cruise was 100% full. Luckily for us after 2 days they had a cabin open up. Unfortunate for the poor woman who had to leave the cruise. She fell while on a shore excursion and had to go home. I would hate for a major plumbing problem to occur and be forced to live in a sub-standard cabin. I would not worry. Most cruise lines are equipped to handle nearly any maintenance emergency.

This is not really true. If that was the case, everyone would wait until the last second to book their cruise. Cruise lines blowing out inventory at the last second is the biggest myth of all.

Can you elaborate ???

I live in San Diego and twice got last minute cabins at great prices. Once with as little as 5 days before the trip. I don't think they intentionally hold any cabins back. And not booking a cabin due to "capacity" issues is a safety requirement for excess passengers. In other words, they may not put 4 in a cabin (even if the cabin has the beds) if they have reached the overall ships excess capacity for third and fourth passengers.

Well, it's not sold out anymore...when I checked it a few days ago, it had only the PH suites left, then yesterday it was not even listed, so that's why I thought that. But I guess it's still fluid since there are a few weeks left (it was to Alaska in Sept).

The 4 day coastal I took on HAL had shown as booked out at least 6 months before the sail date. There was a problem with the cabin, and they moved me to a different one. I believe the people in that cabin moved elsewhere on the ship - I got some invitations for them & the pursers desk took them to forward on. So even though the cruise looks full, likely there are still a couple cabins left empty.

Perhaps the Captain would relinquish his cabin if the ship is full. That happened on the Victoria Luise in about 1913 when the editor of the NY Times decided to take a cruise at the last minute on a full ship. Guess if you're important enough they'll find a way. Of course that eliminates any possibility that they would clear a cabin for me.

I have to disagree with you as I have met some of the last minute pax who signed up within the last 2 weeks before sailing at substantially reduced rates. It costs the cruise line very little to fill up the last few cabins on the ship and makes the crew much happier to get a full load for tips. These offers are only advertised for locals since they are the only ones who can get to a ship more easily.

I also have to diagree with that statement.

If I could drive to a port, I would wait for the price drop if it is an itinerary I like. I you had to fly to a port at the last minute, it would cost a fortune, and you would not be saving that much.

Cruise lines blowing out inventory at the last second is the biggest myth of all.

I have to agree.

We have been onboard and the price of remaining cabins were not reduced if we wanted to extend our stay. I think Celebrity uses a Ouija board to determine prices. Recent price reductions on some sailings would not have had to be so drastic if passengers are given sufficient lead time to plan flights together with more realistic original pricing... eg. Constellation.

Not sure if it was Princess or Royal Caribbean but one of my first cruises had a serious issue in the cabin we'd booked and we were moved into an officer's cabin...he was actually moved to a sister ship for that cruise.

I suspect it was Princess

We had a problem with our cabin on Connie a few years ago and ship was completely sold out ( Xmas and NY cruise) and they have no rooms available. 3 days into a cruise, guest relations notified us that there is a family missed the cruise due to the weather and we will be moved into available cabin ( turned out an upgrade for us). But I was checking twice a day with guest relations if something got opened up.

I have to disagree with you as I have met some of the last minute pax who signed up within the last 2 weeks before sailing at substantially reduced rates. It costs the cruise line very little to fill up the last few cabins on the ship and makes the crew much happier to get a full load for tips. These offers are only advertised for locals since they are the only ones who can get to a ship more easily.

I also do not think it is a myth, although it may only happen if there are alot of vacancies. I know there are cruises out of PR which are loaded with locals due to last minute bargain rates. Same happens in Florida and other US ports - they may be deals only offered locally and perhaps are not even available to others. I think if you are onboard and try to get a discount rate to extend they may have a general policy against it because if word got around that they would do that, you can imagine how most people would start chosing to book their back-to-backs. It could also be that they need 'x' percent of cabin openings before they consider discounting (although I think the general policy reason is probably the right one)

I would have though that there would be empty cabins on most cruises even if they were sold out as people have to cancel last minute or fail to show up due to illness, family problems, bereavements, travel related problems etc.

If you think of todays large ships with 3000+ passengers, many travelling from different parts of the world, then what's the chance of ALL of them getting to the port on time as planned.

It's the same reason why many airlines overbook-they know that it's rare for everyone to show up.

Archived