Anyone opt to not participate on formal night?

Buckeyefan1

We have done 5 cruises and have packed dressy clothes and suits for all of them. It's literally a process hunting down suits ties shirts that still fit, dress shoes etc for my three boys ranging from 13 - 21.

We are going on the RCL Freedom of the seas in a few weeks and I am so tempted to not go through that fire drill this trip and just do the buffet or Johnny Rockets etc.

Anyone else just not done the formal nights on a cruise? I'm afraid that when it gets to those nights we will feel out of place! Plus I like to get a family photo and standing in line in just dressy casual attire with everyone else all decked out I'm afraid we will really be out of place.

Yes, I've opted out.

As a matter of fact it was me and my son. Just doing a guys golf cruise. Since the ladies weren't with us we took complete advantage of doing what we wanted when we wanted. No MDR, no formal nights, no pix, no playing dress up.

When we boarded the ship, we informed the Maitre 'D that we would not be dining in the MDR but to rest assured that our gratuities would remain in place.

Just skip it if you want. A lot less packing, as well as trying to make sure you have the right sized clothes for growing teen boys. Yuck! It's nice to mention to your wait staff/tablemates you will be skipping formal night. That way they don't try to wait for you.

We were on our 12th cruise this past June and skipped our first formal nights...yes,both of them! We didn't plan on this. Each night just fell into place!It was great! We were on a Princess cruise and there buffet was essentially the same food as the MDR. We went to the buffet and brought back a feast, we filled it out b and spread it out on our bed and enjoyed our meal with a movie. The second formal night we had beef wellington and lobster and ate at a great table on the back of the ship with drinks from the bar! The food was delicious and the view was better than anything we would find in the MDR! DH and I were in our shorts and tshirts and had the best formal nights in all our cruising. We may never do formal nights again!-Kade

I never have - I don't even own a suit. :p I tend to dress up slightly, have dinner in one of the speciality restaurants, or just wear shorts & a polo and head for the buffet.

*hand up* Skipped.

Back from a 12 night Med cruise, packed suit, dress, shoes, etc. in garment bag, hauled it all to Europe. Decided every night.... do you want to go to dinner in the MDR? Nah.... let's do Windjammer. We ate in the WJ every night for 12 nights straight! It was FABULOUS! The food was fresh and hot, great selection, casual and relaxing atmosphere, incredible sunsets as Brilliance has outdoor WJ seating. So we not only skipped all 3 Formal Nights, but the entire dining room experience.

Yes, we still tipped. :)

We miss the odd formal night because we are on a holiday and can't be bothered to get all dressed up. the food is just as good in the buffet if you are not too picky. Of course you have to pick your own food and carry or ask one of the staff to carry it for you.

There is absolutely no reason that you have to go to the formal dinner. If you have fixed seating let them know so they aren't waiting to order until you arrive, that's why we choose open seating.

Every person or family is different so it all depends on what you want out of your vacation. Its yours and no one elses. DH and I feel like we are on vacation and have no desire to get dressed up while on it. So we opt for the other dining experiences go in our jeans and nice shirts.

What ever makes your vacation special is what you need to do. Its your money, your memories etc. Have fun

We have skipped formal night on the last 2 cruises and really didn't miss it. It was easier to pack and we wanted to just relax. We were on Princess and went to one of the alternative restaurants one night and did the ultimate balcony dining on the other! Still on the fence if we will dress up this coming cruise in September:)

A simple survey of the MDR on formal night will show you that many skip formal nights in the MDR. The attendance those nights has always been significantly less than other nights on all the cruises I have been on. Personally I seldom skip but for various reasons not related to what I wore, I have skipped it. I once sailed with a couple that dressed up with tux and the works and ate in the buffet both nights. They stayed dressed up the entire night and loved the piano bar. I have been told the specialty restaurants are booked up early on formal nights.

Personally my one suit no longer fits, I would never wear a tux and being retired these days refuse to put a noose around my neck. My blue blazer works quite well. On my first cruise not having brought even a sport coat, both my table mates and the waiters encouraged me to come to formal night dressed as I was on informal nights. I took their advice, had a great time and never looked back.

Lots of different answers from lots of different people. To me Formal Night is special, and I will always participate in it. But that's just me. I don't have a husband or children to worry about packing for, my opinion might change if I did.

I'm sailing NCL Star in Sept, and they don't even have a Formal Night, they call it "Dress Up or Not Night", but I have my silky, shimmery pantsuit all packed and ready to go.

I cruise for the many different parts of the world I get to see, the elegance of a bygone era, and the ambiance of a sailing vessel. I don't just cruise to the Caribbean for the sun & fun. I would have no interest in Johnny Rockets at all, I can go to one of those or similar in So Cal, and not have to pay $$$$ for a cruise to do so. And I don't usually go to any of the specialty restaurants, as I've paid for my meals in the MDR.

I even dress semi-formal for Brunch on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

Happy travels to all.

Count us in as another couple who does not care for the aura of formal nights. I have never belonged to a country club, do not wish to belong to a country club, nor do I wish to pretend to belong to a country club.;)

We have never missed a formal night and DW loves to dress. While everyone is on their own vacation I don't thing that I would be comfortable not dressing and at least having consideration for the people who value the formal night dress code. Just Me.

Anyone else just not done the formal nights on a cruise? I'm afraid that when it gets to those nights we will feel out of place! Plus I like to get a family photo and standing in line in just dressy casual attire with everyone else all decked out I'm afraid we will really be out of place.

On the CCL Liberty a few weeks ago, most made an effort to dress at least resort casual the first elegant night, not so much the second night. I wore dress pants, shirt and tie the first night. I didn't feel out of place, but was wishing I brought a jacket. The second night I wore decent jeans and a "beach" style shirt. Felt okay that night.

A year ago on the CCL Imagination, most got a little dressed up. Later at the show there was a small group really dressed down. Judging by the looks on their faces, it seemed like they wanted to crawl under a rock. (Before anyone makes accusations :rolleyes: I didn't see anyone glaring at them, giving them dirty looks, or smirking.....)

Had to wonder on the Liberty recently. Saw a couple of guys in ratty jeans and sneakers walking around with with a really nice shirt on, and the tails out. Looked a little old to be making a statement to their parents.......

We have never missed a formal night and DW loves to dress. While everyone is on their own vacation I don't thing that I would be comfortable not dressing and at least having consideration for the people who value the formal night dress code. Just Me.

And me. And lots of other people or they wouldn't continue it.

Count us in as another couple who does not care for the aura of formal nights. I have never belonged to a country club, do not wish to belong to a country club, nor do I wish to pretend to belong to a country club.;)

This is funny, actually. I never have equated dressing up to social climbing but I guess it depends upon your mindset.

I don't dress up and pretend I'm going to the Academy Awards, either.:rolleyes:

i prefer to have it MY choice if i dress-up or not and still be able to eat in ALL the venues~NCL allows me to do that.

when we did cruise other lines, it was to much stress and rush to have to be dressed a 'certain' way every night at a certain time to enjoy dinner in the MDR--one of the reasons we LOVE Freestyle!!!

We are not super-social people. Don't get me wrong - we LIKE people, but we don't drink much, don't gamble at all, and we get up at 5 am even on vacation, so we aren't much for hanging out all night.

So, we do enjoy the social aspect of the MDR, even though we don't give a crap about dressing up. But we do dress up enough to "pass" in the MDR so as not to make others uncomfortable. My profile photo here was taken on formal night, and I think I fit in just fine. So did hubby with his suit. We will not wear those clothes again until our next cruise :)

But for those people who do not feel like dressing up, for whatEVER reason, and instead choose to eat in the WJ or specialty restaurant....what have they taken from me? Absolutely nothing! I don't even get mad if someone chooses to not dress up in the MDR on formal night, but I do think it's 'nicer' to observe the formalities inside the MDR (not counting NCL - their rules are whatever, whenever, and that's fine too). As far as wandering around afterward...we go directly to our room after the formal dinners and change clothes, since we have no interest in expensive formal portraits. But if you want a portrait taken - no matter what you choose to wear - you shouldn't feel bad about not dressing up just like the others.

As an aside, one of the members of our group, world-renowned physician Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, wore a gorgeous tux - and a pair of Vibram Five Fingers on the first formal night! Most of us didn't even notice until he mentioned it later, but the photos I saw were very entertaining.

Archived