Golden or Sapphire to Hawaii???

Frivolous

Planning Hawaii trip...Which is the better ship, Golden or Sapphire Princess??:confused:

This is a frequently discussed question & I prefer the Golden but both ships are good and the best option for you could be based on date & price.

CD David Cole and entertainers Elua provide an outstanding Hawaiian experience on the Golden which sails full time to Hawaii from fall until spring. I've sailed both ships & enjoyed both of them and after the Sapphire's lengthy January drydock it will have many of the improvements already on the Golden. I don't think you could go wrong either way & hope you'll enjoy it.

Here are some links to the many recent threads discussing the pros & cons of sailing the Golden or the Sapphire to Hawaii which should give you more details...hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do! :D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444128&highlight=sapphire+golden+hawaii

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432588&highlight=sapphire+golden+hawaii

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1429291&highlight=sapphire+golden+hawaii

I'm attaching a flyer showing the activities on the Golden but they may also be available on the Sapphire?

E Komo Mai BW1.pdf

E Komo Mai BW2.pdf

Golden has an International Cafe and I am pretty sure the Sapphire does not- That makes the decision for me. Love, love, love the IC!:)

The Sapphire will have not only add the IC to the Piazza after their lengthy January drydock but also a sitdown pizzaria similar to the new Alfredo's on the Grand. They're also adding Vines, MUTS & Sanctuary to the Sapphire so they'll have many of the new things on the Golden & one thing the Golden doesn't have...a promenade deck wide enough to have lounge chairs to relax on.

The Sapphire will have not only add the IC to the Piazza after their lengthy January drydock but also a sitdown pizzaria similar to the new Alfredo's on the Grand. They're also adding Vines, MUTS & Sanctuary to the Sapphire so they'll have many of the new things on the Golden & one thing the Golden doesn't have...a promenade deck wide enough to have lounge chairs to relax on.

Sounds lovely...:)

The Golden would still be my 1st choice for the reasons I already listed but I'm looking forward to the improved Sapphire in late April for a CA Coastal cruise...with NO flights! :D

Hopefully, you will treat us to a review of the new and improved Sapphire. I was on the Golden about 4 weeks after drydock-- all I can say is "wow"!

Nothing like that new ship smell...:)

We're booked on Sapphire after the upgrades. I want to see that IC. !! :)

Pat

We're booked on Sapphire after the upgrades. I want to see that IC everyone talks about. :)

Pat

We're booked on Sapphire after the upgrades. I want to see that IC everyone talks about. :)

Pat

We've found it to be a great place to eat a light meal...kind of like a deli with several selections for breakfast & lunch and very popular when passengers return from shore. ;)

My understanding is that the Hawaii themed program is also being implemented on the Sapphire, but IMO, it just would not be the same without David Cole and ELUA. Those people's participation is what makes the program the special thing it is.

My wife and I got off the Golden 2 weeks ago and it was spectacular. David Cole as CD was excellent in Alaska and I can only imagine how good he is with the Hawaiian itinerary.

Preggo Pizza up at Neptune's pool produces great pizza, it will be interesting to see how much better the pizza can be on the Sapphire with the new sit-down pizza place.

But my wife and I are already thinking about our next cruise and 14 day Hawiian is probably our next one, and frankly, after such a great experience on the Golden to Alaska, I want to go back just because of the CD and the ship. Hawaii will be spectacular on it own, but when you have 8 sea days to spend on board, you definitely want a great CD and a nice ship to be on and the Golden with David Cole is just exactly that.

Preggo Pizza up at Neptune's pool produces great pizza, it will be interesting to see how much better the pizza can be on the Sapphire with the new sit-down pizza place.

The reports on Alfredo's Pizzaria on the Grand have been very good & I've read there are 5 options for a 12" pizza (no slices I've been told) and that it's very popular. Now if they only had a ship's Piazza with the combination of an IC with gelato, Vines & a pizzaria that would keep me very happy. :p

We have been on both ships and love them both. For me, if I were given the choice I would pick the Golden for Hawaii. If for no other reason it is worth having CD David Cole. We had the same choice for Alaska and I still picked the Golden because of David Cole. Just my 2 cents worth.

We are just off the Sapphire (Alaska cruise) and really liked the ship. The dry dock will definitely improve it.

We have booked the Golden for Feb 2013 so I will have a comparison but it will be a while. :)

We booked one of the covered mini suites like we had on the Sapphire...can't wait!

Archived