Which would you choose: Valor, Legend or NCL Sun?

MentalVacation

Ok, we are debating.... :)

Things we MUST have: child camp for 2 and up, balcony stateroom and a cruise ship. The rest is flexible.

We have three ships/itineraries identified:

1st Valor out of Miami

2nd Sun out of Port Canaveral

3rd Legend out of Tampa

I will say price order low to high is Valor, Legend, Sun (with the last two VERY close)

I know this is a Carnival board, but I figure you can still be moderately unbiased, right? :)

Our group will have people who have cruised Carnival and Princess, people who have sailed only Carnival, people who have only sailed Princess and people who have never cruised.

Budget is a concern across the board.

Airfare from the midwest is cheaper to Tampa and Orlando than Miami/FLL. Valor is 6 day. The other two are 7 days.

So............which one would you pick...and WHY? :) Or why NOT?

I will tip my hand and say I am *currently* leaning towards the Legend. But last week I was leaning towards the valor, so who knows, right? :)

I love the NCL itinerary but it seems to me that the more traditional cruise experience is not to be found on NCL (more pay dining, freestyle only option, for example...) but again...great itinerary...I don't know....

Well, that eliminates NCL Sun, their kids program starts at 3.

I would pick Legend. Nicer ship, less crowded, Tampa is a great port of embarkation, with shops, restaurants, and the aquarium right there, and you get to sail under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Plus, you mentioned that airfare to Tampa is cheaper, so I think the decision is a no brainer...:)

legend for the win!!! sailed her 9 months ago! and I LOVE spirit class ships! never feel crowed and easy to navigate! I'm sailing her sister ship the Spirit in 4 months :D oh yeah and the ports of call on the legend are GREAT!!!, Tampa is a great little city to fly into and soo much cheaper then other places for sure! love going under the skyway bridge as well! Here is my review of it - If you like hearing a lot of details it's all in there!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314201

Legend in the lead. LOL

I am interested in Tampa...we've never been there. I've always sailed out of Miami/FLL or Galveston.

I do have to correct you, though -- according to their website, NCL does have "kids crew" for 2 and up...but unlike Carnival, you get beeped if you have a diaper to change. :) That is how we landed at these two lines. If I had my preference, I'd probably try RCCL as an alternative to Carnival or Princess (my prior two lines)...I am going to further tip my hand and say I am not keen on NCL's ship painting either. LOL

So, between Valor and Legend, Legend is the nicer ship? I do like the size. Giant sized isn't something I need/want, especially on a first cruise with young kids.

Legend in the lead. LOL

I am interested in Tampa...we've never been there. I've always sailed out of Miami/FLL or Galveston.

I do have to correct you, though -- according to their website, NCL does have "kids crew" for 2 and up...but unlike Carnival, you get beeped if you have a diaper to change. :) That is how we landed at these two lines. If I had my preference, I'd probably try RCCL as an alternative to Carnival or Princess (my prior two lines)...I am going to further tip my hand and say I am not keen on NCL's ship painting either. LOL

So, between Valor and Legend, Legend is the nicer ship? I do like the size. Giant sized isn't something I need/want, especially on a first cruise with young kids.

The Legend is a slam dunk winner. One, the airfare is the cheapest and you stated that price is a concern. Two, you have stated that you always wanted to sail out of Tampa. Three, it has the adults only serenity area that the Valor does not have yet. Four, it is only 88,500 tons versus the 101,000 tons of the Valor, so the smaller ship is easier to navigate for first time cruisers. Five, one of the ports you're vising is Belize, which is a great place...check out cave tubing. Six, you're not stuck with anytime dining like you are with NCL.

Whatever your decision....enjoy!

I agree that Legend is the best choice. I love the Spirit class ships the best of all the ships I've sailed on. Our recent Legend cruise was very nice. The staff was especially helpful and kind. And you will not be disappointed with Camp Carnival. They are awesome. I like the Tampa area. We've made two trips there this year, and enjoyed both stays. Tampa has a really nice airport too, but their security lines seem to take longer than other airports. Security lines are slow.

Enjoy your cruise. :-)

I do have to correct you, though -- according to their website, NCL does have "kids crew" for 2 and up...but unlike Carnival, you get beeped if you have a diaper to change. :) That is how we landed at these two lines. If I had my preference, I'd probably try RCCL as an alternative to Carnival or Princess (my prior two lines)...

The correction is appreciated! I had been looking earlier this year at a Western Caribbean cruise and the NCL Spirit was one of the options and I could've sworn the representative I spoke to said 3 and up. We ended up choosing RCI's Allure of the Seas though. Their regular (free of charge) kids program starts at 3, but they have the Royal Babies and Tots program from 6 to 36 months (for a charge) which was better suited for us since our son is only 20 months. :)

I have to say the SUN. the quality and atmosphere has fallen so far on Carnival that it should only be picked as a last choice or if money is the primary concern. You will be disappointed with both food and entertainment.

I'd go with either the Legend or the Valor (I've been on both of these Ships). I'm not being a "Cheerleader" as I have cruised other lines (some not owned by Carnival and wouldn't hesitate to go back on them). However, my first NCL cruise was on the Sun and that was my last NCL cruise....I would not go back on NCL again!

We all thought the food was horrible, the rooms especially the bathroom was small (we had balcony rooms), they tried to rip you off everywhere you turned with extra charges, etc. I saw Management reprimanding Staff in front of passengers and the ATD was not enjoyable. Oh, and Wishbone Salad Dressing bottles at the Salad Bar....Wow! We ate in the Specialty restaurants a couple of times and the food was better than the Sun's MDR but thought they were more in line with Carnival's MDR. The Specialty Restaurants did not compare to the Steakhouse on Carnival.

I have no experience with NCL's Children's Program but I do with Carnival and Carnival has an excellent program for the kids.

Have a GREAT cruise no matter which Ship you decide!!!

Ok, we are debating.... :)

Things we MUST have: child camp for 2 and up, balcony stateroom and a cruise ship. The rest is flexible.

We have three ships/itineraries identified:

1st Valor out of Miami

2nd Sun out of Port Canaveral

3rd Legend out of Tampa

I will say price order low to high is Valor, Legend, Sun (with the last two VERY close)

I know this is a Carnival board, but I figure you can still be moderately unbiased, right? :)

Our group will have people who have cruised Carnival and Princess, people who have sailed only Carnival, people who have only sailed Princess and people who have never cruised.

Budget is a concern across the board.

Airfare from the midwest is cheaper to Tampa and Orlando than Miami/FLL. Valor is 6 day. The other two are 7 days.

So............which one would you pick...and WHY? :) Or why NOT?

I will tip my hand and say I am *currently* leaning towards the Legend. But last week I was leaning towards the valor, so who knows, right? :)

I love the NCL itinerary but it seems to me that the more traditional cruise experience is not to be found on NCL (more pay dining, freestyle only option, for example...) but again...great itinerary...I don't know....

We usually choose by itinerary and then price. I will say that we have cruised out of all three ports and they are all nice ports and easy to get in and out of. Port Canaveral is an hours drive to OIA, while Miami and Tampa are close by.

The Legend is a great ship, one of our favorites along with the Miracle. You will definately enjoy the Legend.

The different dinning options on the Sun might be something a lot of your party would like. I know they are an extra cost, but it does give you choices. Our cruise on NCL was OK. The food was excellent but the service was really poor. Things have changed from what I have read and Jerry Sheehan has improved NCL. I wish I could say the same about Jerry Cahill, but he is more interested in cutting back to make a profit than to take care of Carnivals guests, imho.

If budget is main concern, I would tally up all the given costs and start from there. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, but I would choose the Legend again. That's just me though.:D

I have to say the SUN. the quality and atmosphere has fallen so far on Carnival that it should only be picked as a last choice or if money is the primary concern. You will be disappointed with both food and entertainment.

Everything you have written about Carnival recently has been negative. Why do you waste your time on the Carnival boards spewing out negativity? Seems like you would be happier on Royal or NCL boards telling everyone how great they are.

, you're not stuck with anytime dining like you are with NCL.

Whatever your decision....enjoy!

You are not stuck with anytime dinning on NCL either. There is the MDR and several different options to choose from with reservations and an added cost.

Choose the Valor, It has new family sized rooms. It is just out of dry dock. It goes to both Eastern and Western Carribean. I booked a OV family room( only $8 more than regular OV room) and it is 320 square foot. This is as big or bigger than a suite but OV prices with Floor to Ceiling windows. Kids would love it, lots of progams for kids, great food choices, shows, and events!

Archived