Birth Certificate "card" good enough?

I know I know.. he should have gotten a passport but we didnt have enough time.. we booked this cruise less than 6 weeks out. My boyfriend has a birth certificate "card" that has the raised seal on this... will this along with a drivers license be enough to get on the ship? He was born 20 minutes from where we live now so getting a certified copy wont be an issue if he needs that instead... we will be applying for his passport when we get back asap just to have... just no time this time around.. THANKS! Steph

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329&faqType=faq

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

if it has the raised seal then it may be official enough to pass. My daughters boyfriend only had a registry of birth from the hospital and I said "nope, no, na, no, no." He called his mom in Wisconsin and she went to the County Clerk's office and got a duplicate paper with the raised seal that she had filed with the Clerk when he was born. I think they want the gov't issued official paper that is filed with the clerk's office when you are born as proof of citizenship.

if it has the raised seal then it may be official enough to pass. My daughters boyfriend only had a registry of birth from the hospital and I said "nope, no, na, no, no." He called his mom in Wisconsin and she went to the County Clerk's office and got a duplicate paper with the raised seal that she had filed with the Clerk when he was born. I think they want the gov't issued official paper that is filed with the clerk's office when you are born as proof of citizenship.

Just be careful with the seals. Mine has a seal from the hospital and has my baby feet prints on it. It is not a "real" birth certificate.

They stopped giving those out years ago. When my children were born we were given a nice "congratulations" certificate so there was no mistake that it was not a legal document

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814&faqSubjectId=329&faqType=faq

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

yes the bc will get you on the ship, however, should you need to fly home from a foreign port you will need a passport to do so.

My DS was born in MD in the mid 80's. His official birth certificate is a card. That's how they were issued. If it's the original bc, what exactly is everyone's problem? My DS got his passport using his bc card. Just because it's card sized doesn't make it not an official bc.

If at all possible get a passport! There are ways to get expedited passports although it is pricey to do so.

When getting a passport also do NOT go cheap and get the credit card version as you are not supposed to be able to fly internationally with it.

Just this past week my sister's high school friend and her husband had a medical emergency (his appendix ruptured) while they were in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico and they had to disembark in Progresso Mexico for emergency surgery to save his life! :eek: Their whole experience was a nightmare from having to pay 10K up front before they would release him from the hospital to trying to fly home with the passport CARD and not the book. We were told the US Embassy was no help at all and Immigration had to get involved. Was told the bigger issue was that they were trying to fly out of Mexico when that was not how they arrrived in the country. The card was a hassle but it wasn't the bigger issue....go figure....

Now that they are home they are fighting with Humana to see if any of the medical stuff can be reimbursed.

Anyway, going the birth certificate route will get you on the ship but if a crisis develops and you end up in another country be prepared for it to take a few days for strings to be pulled to get you home again.

My DS was born in MD in the mid 80's. His official birth certificate is a card. That's how they were issued. If it's the original bc, what exactly is everyone's problem? My DS got his passport using his bc card. Just because it's card sized doesn't make it not an official bc.

Just be aware... it may not meet the new standards of what the US considers proof of citizenship as a birth certificate. These rules apply to everyone getting a passport after April 1, 2011.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5401.html

Certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

• Full name
  • Full name of parent(s)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority
  • Registrar’s signature
  • The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

Does that card include all of that information on it?

Just be aware... it may not meet the new standards of what the US considers proof of citizenship as a birth certificate. These rules apply to everyone getting a passport after April 1, 2011.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5401.html

Certified copies of birth certificates must also include the following information to be considered acceptable primary evidence of U.S. citizenship:

• Full name
  • Full name of parent(s)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of issuing authority
  • Registrar’s signature
  • The date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year)

Does that card include all of that information on it?

Be aware of what? He has a passport (AS I SAID) issued using it. It's the OFFICIAL birth certificate sent to us after his birth. I think it's probably fine. It's a real, official birth certificate issued by the state of MD. As I said, he got his passport with it.

It has all of the above, but it's a card. Why does it matter if it's card sized or letter sized? I never said it didnt' have the above info. I said it was a CARD size.

But, thanks anyway.:rolleyes:

Be aware of what? He has a passport (AS I SAID) issued using it. It's the OFFICIAL birth certificate sent to us after his birth. I think it's probably fine. It's a real, official birth certificate issued by the state of MD. As I said, he got his passport with it.

It has all of the above, but it's a card. Why does it matter if it's card sized or letter sized? I never said it didnt' have the above info. I said it was a CARD size.

I don't understand why you're getting so upset. This thread actually wasn't even about you. But since you mentioned the card and didn't say if it met all of the current requirements I wanted to clarify what is now needed. People that already have passports are exempt yes, but we weren't really talking about yoru son but the ID being used. If it meets all of those criteria then it is legit. The real discussion was about being aware of what is legitimate and what is not. Many cards may not be and you should never assume that just because yours is that everyone elses will be too.

DH has one of those. I think it was like an extra $2 when he requested and purchased his certified birth certifiicate copy from the state of ME. We are in California.

They sent the certified birth certificate card along with the 8&1/2 x 11 one. It's cute...it's like a little mini certified official birth certificate. :D

No real use for it, but I think it would work just fine for a closed loop cruise. :)

Whether it will work depends on the state. Some states issue the birth certificate cards but they are not acceptable for travel, Arkansas for example specifically states that the cards are usable for some purposes but not for traveling outside the country or getting a passport. If you aren't certain, get another certified copy of the birth certificate.

Just sayin', 5 years ago I got on a cruise with a "certificate of birth" from the hospital. I knew it wasn't a birth certificate, but long story short, we were desperate! Not recommending it, it was very stressful worrying about making it through customs even after it got me on the ship! Yeah, I wouldn't risk the card, because I know firsthand the stress of "will it work" or not!

I applied for my first adult passport 12/31/08. Received it 1/10/09. No rush or priority paid on it. Downloaded the form online, picture for free from AAA, and Processed at the local courthouse. May want to just go ahead and do it, they might surprise you and get it done without any fuss or muss.

I just applied for new passports for my kids the other night and the clerk said that the current turnaround time is 4-6 weeks.

That's what they tell you...but my fiance got his in less than two weeks...I think it was 8 days or something crazy. I got a renewal in the same amount of time.

We went and got a full size birth certificate just in case.. the town clerk said he wouldnt be allowed on the cruise with what he had because there is no address on it? Just the town he was born in... who knows if she is telling the truth but at least he has a birth certificate! Funny to see that my 6'3 250lb boyfriend was born at 4lbs 8oz and 18in long!!! When we get back we are getting him a passport.

Archived