Regatta engines

Benita

I sympathize with all the people losing port time on Regatta.

However, let's look at O's side. The repairs will likely require replacement of at least some parts. It's not like going to the Ford dealer and getting a new generator. Remember, there are only so many of these ships, so it is possible some parts have to be fabricated special. Once any parts have been obtained a contractor has to be scheduled to make the installation and the necessary parts, technicians and equipment must meet the ship in port. Time lines for manufacture and installation contractors are beyond O's control in today's complex world, so someone was going to have to deal with the slow down. Sorry it's you, but if not you then another cruise. A $500 credit per cabin is substantial for the loss of one port and a few hours in two (?) other ports.

As discussed, the R ships are not new, and like that older Ford noted above, maintenance is not convenient for anyone, but it is necessary. The alternative to this service is possibly having to take Regatta out of service at some point in the near future for an entire cruise, thereby disappointing those passengers even more, or even worse having problems at sea and having to be towed to port and really ruin some people's cruise.

I expect this does not make O any happier than it makes you all, but they must look to the safety of their passengers and their ships, in that order. I don't think any of us would want anything else.

I sympathize with all the people losing port time on Regatta.

However, let's look at O's side. The repairs will likely require replacement of at least some parts. It's not like going to the Ford dealer and getting a new generator. Remember, there are only so many of these ships, so it is possible some parts have to be fabricated special. Once any parts have been obtained a contractor has to be scheduled to make the installation and the necessary parts, technicians and equipment must meet the ship in port. Time lines for manufacture and installation contractors are beyond O's control in today's complex world, so someone was going to have to deal with the slow down. Sorry it's you, but if not you then another cruise. A $500 credit per cabin is substantial for the loss of one port and a few hours in two (?) other ports.

As discussed, the R ships are not new, and like that older Ford noted above, maintenance is not convenient for anyone, but it is necessary. The alternative to this service is possibly having to take Regatta out of service at some point in the near future for an entire cruise, thereby disappointing those passengers even more, or even worse having problems at sea and having to be towed to port and really ruin some people's cruise.

I expect this does not make O any happier than it makes you all, but they must look to the safety of their passengers and their ships, in that order. I don't think any of us would want anything else.

You are correct. Note this is not the first time with issues -- Insignia has been having them for several months. However both Insignia and Regatta were recently in dry docks for a refit. At that time Oceania should have done an overhaul on their motor/gen sets, it would have been an appropriate thing to do if you were doing normal preventative maintenance.

Also Oceania has a sneaky habit of changing itineraries. We are on one from Capetown - Singapore in December -- where a 2 day stop to Burma was deleted recently. This WAS to be the highlight of the cruise.

We sailed on the Alexandr Pushkin in 1974 then she was the Marco Polo in 2003 she was built in 1965

Probably in the knackers yard now ;)

Still very much alive serving the budget end of the UK market with some really good ex UK itineraries & low, low fares.....joined now by her fleet mate the "classic" Ocean Countess, which covers UK regional sailings.

Another tidbit, Mura, the ship was built, I believe, in 1997 because I sailed on her in 1999 when it was a Ren ship, so it's not quite 20 years old. Mr. Del Rio, if you are looking, how about a better explanation to this "slow do

Arlene, my correction probably posted shortly before you wrote but also before you saw it. I also sailed on the R2 in 1999 (October) and somehow I had it in my head that she was older than she was. But I checked around and saw my error.

Jim/Stan, as to the QE2 -- I had my tongue a bit in cheek when I said I didn't think she was falling apart when she was falling out of service! We enjoyed our two cruises on her very much. The first (iin April 2003) was a very last minute booking (NYC to the Caribbean) that was in a mid-level cabin but a lot smaller than we had expected. (We were in the third dining room of the four for dinners.) But aside from the concrete-like beds, the room was amazingly well laid out. It was only 128 sf but everything was so cleverly arranged that we had room for everything, and a larger than expected bathroom.

Our second cruise in December 2004 was also a last minute booking (Southampton-NY) but we were in Queen's Grill this time. What a huge room! TWO walk in closets. But it was here that I noticed cosmetic signs of wear and tear ... She was by no means decrepit even after so many years of service, but you saw chips in the wood panelling. That kind of thing.

But I was very sorry to see her go. And she could sail backwards faster than anything else afloat. The captain put the pedal to the metal on our way in to St. Thomas because he wanted to beat another ship to the best parking spot. He did. (We still had to tender, we were just closer to shore.)

Mura

Mura

Lyn,

It looks like you were right and I was wrong. I apologize. I firmly remembered that the first "R" ships dated from the early 1990s.

Mura

Thanks Mura

friends again ;)

I think some of their smaller ships (in the 4000GRT range) were built in the early 90's like Ren III now Galapagos Explorer II, RenVI now Hebridean Sprit

Still very much alive serving the budget end of the UK market with some really good ex UK itineraries & low' date=' low fares.....joined now by her fleet mate the "classic" Ocean Countess, which covers UK regional sailings.[/quote']

Good to know

I thought they renamed her & she went to China but guess not ;)

Lyn

Thanks Mura

friends again ;)

I think some of their smaller ships (in the 4000GRT range) were built in the early 90's like Ren III now Galapagos Explorer II, RenVI now Hebridean Sprit

Always were -- friends, I mean!

I do think you're right that the small ships were older. We never had the opportunity to sale on them. I know that people loved them.

Mura

JimandStan, I am still amazed at the wealth of photos and info that you manage to produce on all these topics.

Could you answer this question: Why would O cut out a 6 hour stay in Victoria and add those 6 hours onto the front end of a stay in the next port, Sitka? I'm just looking for a plausible explanation.

And, I wonder if there have been any modifications to the itinerary of the "overbooked" cruise that just began on the 14th? I was looking at their roll call from time to time to see what private excursions people were taking and with what company. I don't recall them mentioning any itinerary changes.

If Regatta is having mechanical problems due to its age, who's to say that these mid-cruise fixes will work? I think future itineraries on the Regatta are in jeopardy. We have a B2B scheduled in the Eastern Med next summer and I would be very upset if some of the key ports were deleted as they did with Victoria. We are seriously rethinking next summer's cruise. We're a month away from booking air and so this Alaska cruise will help us make our decision. We love all the small ships. The larger ships are OK (however, their food venues are better than on the small ships---if that's possible).

Everyone here seems to mention mechanical issues as the problem however

in BENITA's post she says

I just received notice that Oceania is planning preventative maintenance

So which is it???

Anyone know:confused:

Everyone here seems to mention mechanical issues as the problem however

in BENITA's post she says

So which is it???

Anyone know:confused:

According to the letter I have before me from Oceania "As part of our preventative Vessel Operations Program, we have scheduled maintenance to one of the four engines that power Regatta". That implies preventative maintenance to me, which does not make sense as the Regatta was recently in dry dock, where preventative maintenance could be performed without wrecking havoc on a pretty good itinerary. Also, maintenance is something that is scheduled, as compared to an emergency, so an itinerary taking this into account could be built into a cruise schedule.

Then, they go on to explain that the speed will have to be reduced, which necessitates dropping Victoria and the other changes and to make it up, they will apply $250pp to a future cruise.

Kind of strange. If I prepayed for a set menu in a restaurant and came for dinner and was told that they decided to do preventative maintenance in the kitchen, so they were cutting out the lobster, halving the steak size, and giving extra noodles, while keeping the prepayment, but are offering a credit equal to about 5% of the meal payment towards the next time you came to the restaurant, I think you would give the restaurant manager the same incredulous look that I am giving Oceania, now.

Since none of the posters are afraid to speak their minds, am I crazy to feel this way?

According to the letter I have before me from Oceania "As part of our preventative Vessel Operations Program, we have scheduled maintenance to one of the four engines that power Regatta".

I agree the credit should be an OBC or a refund .

as to the timing of maintenance seeing how long they estimated the work on Insignia to get done it may not have been feasible to do it during dry dock when it appears they did the soft furnishing & not mechanical

Or as someone pointed out they may not have been able to get qualified people at that time.

These things have to be scheduled well in advance

Missing ports & changes ..disappointing YES

I guess Nautica's cruise will be next on the slow down list;)

lyn

oooops ....

Still, I'm wondering about the age of the "R" ships. First Insignia's generators, now Regatta's engine ...

It's not like they are 50 years old, but they are about 20 years old. Don't get me wrong, I love the ships ...

And I know they are well maintained.

Mura

They are not nearly 20 years old, from what I have read. The Regatta class ships were built in 1998—2000 for Renaissance Cruises.

The Crystal Symphony, which is in tip-top shape, was built in 1995.

Too bad they can't do the work during our SF-to-NYC Panama Canal cruise -- I certainly wouldn't begrudge missing a couple of ports in Mexico.

Thank you most kindly for the offer. ;)

I am sure there are many on our Alaska itinerary who will be only too happy to pass our $250 future cruise credit onto you and your fellow passengers if we can keep to our schedule.

Personally, I will be pleased to send a liter of Scotch Whiskey to your stateroom for your thoughtful suggestion, if Oceania agrees with you! :)

I am sure there are many on our Alaska itinerary who will be only too happy to pass our $250 future cruise credit onto you and your fellow passengers if we can keep to our schedule.

Personally, I will be pleased to send a liter of Scotch Whiskey to your stateroom for your thoughtful suggestion, if Oceania agrees with you! :)

We are also on the SF/NY cruise & we too would gladly give up a port or two in Mexico for extra sea time if it would help your cruise. (BTW my husband drinks nothing but scotch.:D)

Are you listening, Frank ?

I guess I spoke too soon. We are getting ports cut & time in other ports cut down. This really annoys us since one of the ports is Cartegena & we have a tour booked there & another one is Savannah which we wanted to really explore. :(:(:(

A SBC would be nice but not a credit for a future cruise.

DQ

A very kind offer (Might I switch out the scotch for - I'm sorry - a premium vodka? ;)), but, as I'm sure you know by now, we on the 09/09/2011 Panama Canal cruise have received our very own "we'll be slowing down" letters, with the same gesture of a $250 future cruise credit per passenger. We're skipping Cabo, but we were only to be there for six hours anyway -- and we have slightly abbreviated schedules elsewhere, but nothing dramatic or excursion-cancelling. In no way does it equal the nature of the changes in your Alaskan itinerary. Very sorry for you and your fellow passengers. However, I'm sure it will be a wonderful cruise, and we will all offer supplicatory gifts to the gods for perfect weather to accompany you.

Now, I am getting concerned. Preventative maintenance seems to be a euphemism for "we are planning on sailing with one less engine" - I can't see it taking 4 -5 weeks to perform maintenance. Mr. Del Rio - we know you are reading this board, as we saw the posts about the future sailing of Regatta from you earlier today. I think it is time to ask for a realistic assurance as to the seaworthiness of the vessel. As we are loyal members of the Oceania family, pretend we are part of your family.

I guess I spoke too soon. We are getting ports cut & time in other ports cut down. This really annoys us since one of the ports is Cartegena & we have a tour booked there & another one is Savannah which we wanted to really explore. :(:(:(

A SBC would be nice but not a credit for a future cruise.

DQ

Ah, but dear DQ, we have only "lost" Cabo - six hours, a great deal of which would have been spent tendering to and from shore - and an hour or two here and there in other ports. As far as Cartagena, where we also have a scheduled tour, we arrive one hour later than originally scheduled, still have a full eight hours there, more than enough time for any tour/excursion you might have. I think it will probably work out well for us, certainly better than the changes made to the Alaska cruise. (Of course, everything I've said goes out the window if we have to engage in a few days of Dodge-the-Hurricane!)

We recently returned from the Glacial Wilderness cruise of July 23. The only issues we experienced were plumbing problems, not only our problem, but others on board.

Oh, great... We'll be on a slow cruise to nowhere (at least not VICTORIA) with plumbing issues.

FDR, if you'll put back in Victoria, I'll send you a box of macadamia nuts fresh from Hawaii in December (when we go back there for the holidays). Puuuleeese give us back Victoria!!!!!!!

According to the letter I have before me from Oceania "As part of our preventative Vessel Operations Program, we have scheduled maintenance to one of the four engines that power Regatta". That implies preventative maintenance to me, which does not make sense as the Regatta was recently in dry dock, where preventative maintenance could be performed without wrecking havoc on a pretty good itinerary. Also, maintenance is something that is scheduled, as compared to an emergency, so an itinerary taking this into account could be built into a cruise schedule.

Then, they go on to explain that the speed will have to be reduced, which necessitates dropping Victoria and the other changes and to make it up, they will apply $250pp to a future cruise.

Kind of strange. If I prepayed for a set menu in a restaurant and came for dinner and was told that they decided to do preventative maintenance in the kitchen, so they were cutting out the lobster, halving the steak size, and giving extra noodles, while keeping the prepayment, but are offering a credit equal to about 5% of the meal payment towards the next time you came to the restaurant, I think you would give the restaurant manager the same incredulous look that I am giving Oceania, now.

Since none of the posters are afraid to speak their minds, am I crazy to feel this way?

Whew, you hit the nail on the head!!

[...] probably all 684 of us are so very disappointed. [...] Mr. Del Rio, if you are looking, how about a better explanation to this "slow down" of the Regatta. You have some very loyal passengers out there, but you're upsetting a lot of people and for very good reasons.Cancelling a port for safety reasons in a country where there is unrest (just came back from a Middle East cruise, and Port Said and Alexandria were cancelled because of unrest, which is totally acceptable), but for maintenance for an engine, I don't think so. Why is it being done 11+ days from the day you told us. [...] Arlene

I truly sympathise with your loss. We were on Insignia's Land of the Midnight Sun cruise which went through major itinerary changes. Originally they announced (actually "announced" is not quite right - we suddenly noticed itinerary changes on their website days before any official announcement through TAs was made.) these changes immediately following date of final payment, which gave us a fair amount of time to voice our complaints. Maybe as a result of numerous letters, phone calls etc they restored some of the itinerary and in the end we lost only 1 port (not 3). However, shore times were shortened considerably (overnight stay at Honninggsvag/North Cape cancelled and we sailed 11pm instead of 7am following morning) and an extra day at sea added.

While we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise, we did come across a number of still very unhappy (mainly dissatisfied with O's handling of the affair - not the same story given to all TAs/passengers) passengers, even 1 couple who had done 6 O's cruises and said they would not be doing another one.

The timing (11 days from sailing?) is worse than ours - maybe they learnt from their earlier mistakes...don't tell the passengers too soon :rolleyes:

Most of the time we sailed at 17 knots (unless in fjords or coming into/leaving ports) I believe top speed is 22 knots (seen in an earlier brochure) In our issue of currents (from last June cruise), it is listed at 20 knots, though I just checked their website and it shows top speed as 18 knots. :confused:

This is pretty much the same letter we received on Insignia - and I suppose our cruise was more affected by this than Insignia's other cruises because of the greater distance to be travelled. (Mediterranean was barely affected). This could be why your Alaskan cruise is taking the brunt.

We decided to send a letter addressing our dissatisfaction with the changes, and then to put it out of our minds and make the most of the cruise being offered. Happily, as stated earlier, they did restore part of the itinerary and it was one of the most spectacular holidays ever (IMHO! ... on another thread, at least 2 posters thought it the most boring cruise ever... so, one person's heaven is another person's hell). We didn't pursue the itinerary changes further, though we did speak to people who tried to get information from officers on board without satisfaction.

[...]Kind of strange. If I prepayed for a set menu in a restaurant and came for dinner and was told that they decided to do preventative maintenance in the kitchen, so they were cutting out the lobster, halving the steak size, and giving extra noodles, while keeping the prepayment, but are offering a credit equal to about 5% of the meal payment towards the next time you came to the restaurant, I think you would give the restaurant manager the same incredulous look that I am giving Oceania, now. I like your analogy

Absolutely not!

It is so easy to let the anger and disappointment ruin the what-should-be happiness leading up to the holiday. I can remember feeling the same, and in the end, the cruise was magical. I can only hope that the same happens for you.

trina2, you mention that maybe our cruise "has a greater distance to be travelled" and that's why we are taking the brunt of the changes. I believe all the Alaska cruises are traveling about the same distance. And, this is what creates the issue. Why did O decide to alter the August 26 itineray and leave the August 14 one intact. How about the September 9 itinerary. Have they been impacted? They should have spread out the repairs. They could have started with the August 14 cruise and done some work on the August 26 cruise and finished with the September 9 cruise.

Archived