New (unasked) question about visa for Turkey

This is just another case of cruise lines trying to sell more Shore Excursions. Another trick they use is how delayed you will be getting off the ship if you are independent. Lets face it the fares are so cheap that they need to make it up on excursions, drinks, photos, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I too,was misinformed by my TA about needing a VISA for entry for Turkey and Egypt. When I called our ship"s representative, she was not sure but assured me that I would have all that information plenty of time before sailing with our travelling information. Since we were having a Post strike here in Canada, I googled " Visas for Canadians abroad" I got all the information I wanted and more. Canadians on cruises DO NOT need to get a Visa before embarkation. A custom officer,from the country you are entering will board the ship and stamp your passport.If you are a Canadian citizen,you can visit the country in question a maximum of 3 days, as long as you do not stay overnight,meaning you must enter and exit for the night,and have your passport stamped 3X. Weird!! I called my TA and ship's representative to pass on the information to Canadian fellow passengers. Maybe you should also Google this information. I hope this helps.;)

I appreciate your response, but this specific question has not been asked unless I'm confused.

I was not asking about needing a visa. I was asking about whether the lines are long in port to get one if you are not on a ship-sponsored SE. It was a question about delay, not need.

Now if no visa is required, then the question is moot. But my search on this board for that information was inconsistent as to what I'd need, and the NCL rep was fairly certain that pax needed to get a visa for Turkey either ahead of time or at the port. So I assumed one was needed and was asking a question about time and delay.

Clarification?

Thanks.

J

You do not need a visa for a cruise stop in Turkey. It is only needed if your cruise begins or ends in Turkey.

I have another question, which is similar, but slightly different: We will be on a cruise which ends in Istanbul and staying on for four days. I know that I can purchase (and need) a visa on board ship for $50.00. Is it possible to purchase one after I leave the ship in the port area for less? I don't want to spend extra just for the convenience of buying it on the ship if there is not a good reason to do so.

Fran (and Jeff)

We had 3 days in Istanbul before embarking on a cruise last November. Our visas were purchased at the airport upon arrival for US$20. I would be very surprised if the same facility was not available at the port (ie point of entry into the country), but perhaps someone who has disembarked in Istanbul might confirm this.

I realise that I'm Australian and not from USA, but that was the price for everyone arriving on the plane. There were obviously many different nationalities as the plane was arriving from Singapore via Dubai.

US$50 sounds way too expensive.

I would be suprised as well, but I would like "first hand" corroboration before we leave. I know that they can be purchased at the airport. Don't want to be stuck in a Turkish jail!

Fran (and Jeff)

If you are arriving in Turkey by plane, you will have to purchase this visa before you can go through immigration and customs. It's impossible to miss the counter where you do so.

If you are worried, you can get your visa in advance, before you leave the US.

If you are arriving in Turkey by plane, you will have to purchase this visa before you can go through immigration and customs. It's impossible to miss the counter where you do so.

If you are worried, you can get your visa in advance, before you leave the US.

Poster (jrkfrk) is NOT asking about buying it at the airport.......

but rather when they disembark from their cruise (at the end) at the port. He wants to know if there will be a counter at the port to buy one instead of spending 50.00 to buy one on the ship.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for asking yet again. I am sure this has been recently asked/answered but I've not yet found an answer for what I like to know. and I know things can be a little different depending on nationality etc.

we are Canadian residents with Canadian passports

Kusadasi will be our first port of call then overnight in Istanbul and disembark the next day, and tour for a couple more. the point is we are not cruisingfurther after Turkey but disembarking.

Though not yet had confirmation from the local consulate it appears that do not issue visas but I can obtain a visa in advance by mailing my passport to Ottawa or Toronto. An obvious concern with that is IF the passport is delayed or worse gets lost en route, the ensuing scramble to get a replacement. We leave Vancouver mid-July.

I believe we would need a tourist visa that can be obtained upon arrival in Istanbul. I am assuming we do not need one for our first port of call, Kasadasi as we are in effect, passing through.

Hmmm now I am wondering if I CAN get one here and avoid the possible lineups in Istanbul.

I also think the visa that can be purchased when we arrive in Istanbul will cost around US$20. But then that's a little confusing to because I have read that depending on where you're coming from it msut be paid in British pounds or Euros, etc so I have no idea what currency I would need for Canadian.

Another concern is assuming that I can obtain the required visa at the ship's port (I have read many posts that refer to the airport and the government websites reference border crossings) for some reasonable amount of money that I'm likely to have the correct currency, how long the process will take. While our ship will only have <700 pax I suspect the majority will be disembarking here. I'd hope it would be a fairly quick process because we have arranged for a private tour. however as the process may be easier for others to obtain a visa in advance many of those passengers may have already done that.

As I write this I have perhaps answered my own questions. it would not be good to stand in a line for a couple of hours trying to get a visa. I just hate to mail my passport off three months before we leave.

I would appreciate hearing your suggestions especially if you have had experience with sending their passport to one of the Canadian embassies to obtain the visa in advance or simply obtaining one when they arrive in Port I would appreciate hearing your suggestions.

sorry to be so long. I know I worry too much.

You will not need a visa for your visit to Kusadasi.

I see your point about getting one there in advance of your needs, but that needs immigration staff & I'm guessing this will only be possible if a ferry from Greece arrives at a convenient time. And if there's no language barrier.

I'd be inclined to take my chances in Istanbul

As a Canadian, your visa when you disembark in Istanbul at the end of your cruise will currently cost you USD60 or €45. Cash. You can choose either of those currencies

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-fees-at-border-gates-for-2010.en.mfa

Sorry, I can't help with the visa routine at the port because each time I have arrived by air.

But I never experienced a long visa line at the airport even though only one person was issuing visas at the very busy airport.

I am also dubious about the claim of long lines to get visas at the port - that comment to the poster earlier in the thread was accompanied by other erroneous info suggesting that those on ship's tours didn't have the delay.

Or mebbe I'm just plain cynical ;)

BTW that official Turkish website makes no mention of the dispensation for visitors calling as a port-of-call.

But trust us, it exists :)

JB :)

Many thanks JB for this info and the other info you have so kindly posted. I keep a look out for your posts and have cut and paste many of them into a set of notes that will go with us when we to go Turkey. The info you provide is greatly appreciated!

I see your point about getting one there in advance of your needs, but that needs immigration staff & I'm guessing this will only be possible if a ferry from Greece arrives at a convenient time. And if there's no language barrier.

As a Canadian, your visa when you disembark in Istanbul at the end of your cruise will currently cost you USD60 or €45. Cash. You can choose either of those currencies

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-fees-at-border-gates-for-2010.en.mfa

Sorry, I can't help with the visa routine at the port because each time I have arrived by air.

But I never experienced a long visa line at the airport even though only one person was issuing visas at the very busy airport.

I am also dubious about the claim of long lines to get visas at the port - that comment to the poster earlier in the thread was accompanied by other erroneous info suggesting that those on ship's tours didn't have the delay.

Or mebbe I'm just plain cynical ;)

BTW that official Turkish website makes no mention of the dispensation for visitors calling as a port-of-call.

But trust us, it exists :)

JB :)

thanks for the reply John. Before posting for help I did find that 'mfa' website but did not find that fees page - very helpful. A bit of a difference needing $120 versus $40. Even better to know we can pay in Euros. saves having to stock up further on another currency.

Your cynicism or doubt is not misplaced. I found many posts that, while well-intentioned, assume facts or situations that may be slightly different but can make a world of difference to the issue at hand.

I appreciate your note on your experience with lineups at the airport despite there being just the one clerk. We may take the chance at the cruise port on a delay versus taking the chance on a passport delayed or misdirected if we mail it off for a visa here in Canada.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the local consulate next week. If they can issue a visa then we'll definitely get one ahead of time and get it out of the way. Otherwise may just wait until we arrive in Turkey and deal with whatever happens at that time.

Excellent point, JB. I checked the schedule of the ferries from Greece, and there are ferries arriving at 9:45, 10:00, and 18:15.

YoHoHo, we're on the same boat (literally, we're actually on the same cruise). I called the Turkish consulate about getting visa in advance, and found that in my case it is much more expensive due to reciprocity fees that apply at a consulate but not at a port. Consulate advised against getting a visa from them unless I was planning on staying in Turkey more than 90 days.

We will try to get the visa in Kusadasi, but because our ship schedule is not a good match to the greek ferry schedule, we may not find an immigration officer. In that case, we'd get it in Istanbul.

Excellent point, JB. I checked the schedule of the ferries from Greece, and there are ferries arriving at 9:45, 10:00, and 18:15.

YoHoHo, we're on the same boat (literally, we're actually on the same cruise). I called the Turkish consulate about getting visa in advance, and found that in my case it is much more expensive due to reciprocity fees that apply at a consulate but not at a port. Consulate advised against getting a visa from them unless I was planning on staying in Turkey more than 90 days.

We will try to get the visa in Kusadasi, but because our ship schedule is not a good match to the greek ferry schedule, we may not find an immigration officer. In that case, we'd get it in Istanbul.

I'll probably see you in line then!

One of my concerns is that we will be joining a private tour with a few others and don't want to hold them up (much). Thanks for the replies. I'll have to re-read the Roll Call as I obviously missed much. It has been pretty quiet lately and also not sure due to difference between visa requirements differing depending on country of origin.

You and JB have been helpful.

Archived