New (unasked) question about visa for Turkey

I've used the search function but did not find an answer to this question.

A rep from NCL just recommended on the phone that I get my visa for Turkey ahead of time. It is an Eastern Med cruise with a one-day stop at Izmir.

She said that you can actually get the visa from the port but that the lines were very long. If you go on a ship-sponsored shore excursion, you don't have to wait in the line (did not say if this was because they handle it ahead of time, or if it's not needed at all for ship SE's, or what). She said that if I do not want to do a ship SE, I should get my visa ahead of time so I don't have to wait in the long line to get one at the port.

Basically, she said that any DIY or private tours on the Izmir stop would be jeopardized time-wise because so much time would be spent in the visa line for non-ship SE's, unless the pax got their visas before the cruise. I didn't ask if all the people in the line would be pax from the ship who had decided against the ship SE's. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any experience in Izmir with long lines at the port if you are not on a ship-sponsored shore excursion?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, not a new question, it's been asked many times. You do not need a visa when visiting Turkey for a one day cruise stop. This agent is totally wrong, and a good example on why one should not rely on obtaining accurate visa information from a cruise line representative.

I wonder if this NCL rep receives a commission for ship excursions she scares people into purchasing.

I appreciate your response, but this specific question has not been asked unless I'm confused.

I was not asking about needing a visa. I was asking about whether the lines are long in port to get one if you are not on a ship-sponsored SE. It was a question about delay, not need.

Now if no visa is required, then the question is moot. But my search on this board for that information was inconsistent as to what I'd need, and the NCL rep was fairly certain that pax needed to get a visa for Turkey either ahead of time or at the port. So I assumed one was needed and was asking a question about time and delay.

Clarification?

Thanks.

J

I was on the Jade for the Mediterranean in January 2011. We did not have to get any visas separately. The ship kept our passports until we went to Egypt I guess for visa purposes and they got them all for us. I'm not really clear on what they did with our passports for sure. But we didn't even take our passports off with us in Turkey.

If it is just a one day (no overnight stay) in Turkey, you do NOT need a visa at all. Your passport on RCL is held by the ship and they process all these at once.

If you overnight IN PORT (Not two days in Turkey back-to-back --- but the ship literally does not move overnight), you need a visa. I do not know of an RCL itinerary that does this.

I think it is on their script that if the ship has Turkey as a stop to advice you may need a visa. Again, you only need this if you overnight in Turkey.

I've used the search function but did not find an answer to this question.

A rep from NCL just recommended on the phone that I get my visa for Turkey ahead of time. It is an Eastern Med cruise with a one-day stop at Izmir....

Sorry you say the search did not turn up what you needed - these boards have been very informative and this has been discussed many times. Indeed, you do not need a visa for a cruise ship, one day stop - just returned from Brilliance of the Seas last month and we did not need a visa. I guarantee it. So indeed, you point is moot.

The rep was wrong, ignorant, or lying - I don't know which.

My o/h was on an NCL cruise with a stop at Izmir just a few weeks ago, guessing it's the same cruise (Venice/Venice).

I can confirm there was no visa requirement.

Cruiseline reps who don't know their stuff is nothing new.

But to tell you about non-existant lines for visas ????????????

Either a confused & truly dumb rep :rolleyes: ........ or a rep on a sales mission. And that's even more dumb.:mad:

Did you get the rep's name?

Her supervisor needs to know what she's doing.

JB :)

We will be arriving Istanbul via Ataturk airport for 2 nights advance stay. I know we need the VISA.

At the airport, I understand the VISA area is to the left of the passport stations. Should we get the VISA stamp before passport control or go through passport first? I recall reading about getting the VISA first but can't find the post.

Also, do we need to complete any paperwork to get the stamp? I have seen a VISA application online but I suspect that is not necessary for short term visitors. I want to get through the airport VISA and passport controls as expeditiously as possible.

Any information from those who has received their VISA at Ataturk Airport would be appreciated.

We will be arriving Istanbul via Ataturk airport for 2 nights advance stay. I know we need the VISA.

At the airport, I understand the VISA area is to the left of the passport stations. Should we get the VISA stamp before passport control or go through passport first? I recall reading about getting the VISA first but can't find the post.

Also, do we need to complete any paperwork to get the stamp? I have seen a VISA application online but I suspect that is not necessary for short term visitors. I want to get through the airport VISA and passport controls as expeditiously as possible.

Any information from those who has received their VISA at Ataturk Airport would be appreciated.

You have to get the visa first. Passport control will check to see that you have it; if not, you must get out of line, get the visa, then get back in line.

There is no paperwork, it is simply a "convenience" visa. You hand over your US $20 per person and you get a visa. Simple as that.

My goodness, a travel agent who gives out incorrect info! This is a real shock :) Best advice for any traveler (cruise or otherwise) is do your own homework on Visa and other related issues (such as whether a passport needs to have at least 6 months before expiration). For US citizens you can simply go to the State Department website and click to their travel site where they have info on every country in the world (its alphabetical). If you have further questions you should contact the embassy of the specific country. We have not only been given bad info by TAs (we seldom ask questions of TAs anymore) but have also been given incorrect info by a cruise line (in our case it was Princess). Cruisers need to accept that it is their own responsibility to comply with Visa and Passport requirements. If somebody gives you bad info you will be the one who will pay the price. That being said, if you have a US Passport and are in Turkey for a single day port stop you do not need a Visa. Not sure of the Turkey rules for folks holding passports from other countries.

Hank

The Turkish Government website says quite explicitly on this issue :

"Question: I am taking a Mediterranean boat cruise with my family. Our ship will also visit Kuşadası. Do we need Visas to enter Turkey?

Answer: Foreigners who are travelling to Turkey by cruises are allowed to enter Turkey without Visa for a maximum period of 72 hours, with the permission given by the local security authorities. "

And for those still non-believers here is the web link :

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/frequently-asked-questions.en.mfa

So the NCL Cruise Rep is totally wrong and no doubt conveying an impression that if one takes an NCL Excursion that things will be taken care of, otherwise you will be detained for some time as a solo traveller to get processed. She is overall in the business of trying to sell as many Shore Excursions as possible .

So no Visas, carry a photo copy of Your Passport inner photo page (if ship retains your passport on boarding) and off you go .

All Cruise lines give priority in disembarking their Shoreex pax first, and then solo travellers can get off .

Did you get the rep's name?

Her supervisor needs to know what she's doing.

Hey JB - I thought about this, just from the standpoint of education, training, giving out correct info, etc. But I had called for several things - hotel arrangements for departure port, transportation to and from port, etc. The questions about visas were almost an afterthought. The rep was so helpful with all of my other business. I would hate for her to get dinged for the misinformation on a call that was mostly very successful. I decided it would be unfair and misleading of me to try to "help" by pointing out that I was given wrong information by a well-intended person.

The rep was so helpful with all of my other business. I would hate for her to get dinged for the misinformation on a call that was mostly very successful. I decided it would be unfair and misleading of me to try to "help" by pointing out that I was given wrong information by a well-intended person.

I can understand that, terracool. :)

Mebbe quietly & politely mention it to the rep herself next time you speak ?

I'm thinking about other folk who are likely to be given the same duff info - and indeed the rep herself, if / when the **** hits the fan cos someone else kicks up.

Regards, JB :)

Just to clarify a bit further. You do not need a visa for an overnight in Turkey on the ship. I guess this fits in with the 72 hour rule. We were in Istanbul overnight and visited four other ports in Turkey, all without a visa.

For our ancient empires cruise in 2009, some of our friends who went with us were told by three different travel agents that they needed visas for Turkey, and they needed to organize their own visas in Egypt if they were not taking ships tours. That is not the case. I have read on CC that TAs say the same thing about needing a visa for Russia if you are not taking a ship's tour. That is apparently not the case either.

I think TAs are trying to push ship's tours. Maybe they make a commission on the visas.

Before our cruises I checked thoroughly both here and online with the embassies of the companies. I have not been led astray yet.

If it is just a one day (no overnight stay) in Turkey' date=' you do NOT need a visa at all. Your passport on RCL is held by the ship and they process all these at once.

If you overnight IN PORT (Not two days in Turkey back-to-back --- but the ship literally does not move overnight), you need a visa. I do not know of an RCL itinerary that does this.

I think it is on their script that if the ship has Turkey as a stop to advice you may need a visa. Again, you only need this if you overnight in Turkey.[/quote']

Sorry, this is also wrong. While visiting Istanbul we arrived one day and left the next......thus staying overnight ON THE SHIP.

We DID NOT need a visa.

If visiting turkey -your ship will take your passport at check-in.....keep it until AFTER you visit Turkey and then return it to you.

This is a requirement of Turkey as they send a customs agent onboard and they check all the passports before letting anyone off. You will be given a white card to fill out with basic info including your passport #. You are asked to carry that while in turkey.

It is amazing how customer service reps can be so misinformed. Sheesh.

I have read on CC that TAs say the same thing about needing a visa for Russia if you are not taking a ship's tour. That is apparently not the case either.

I think TAs are trying to push ship's tours. Maybe they make a commission on the visas.

RUSSIA is a little different.

You do need a visa, and organising your own visa is time-consuming & expensive.

But if you take a tour you can be included on a group visa - the cost of the visa is included in the price of the tour.

This applies to ship's tours.

But it also applies to private tours organised by recognised local tour operators, of which there are several frequently recommended by cruisers, generally offering a service which is both cheaper & more personal.

T/As & cruiselines tend to forget to mention this. :rolleyes:

I think it's the commission on ships' tours that makes T/As so forgetful ;)

I appreciate your response, but this specific question has not been asked unless I'm confused.

It's been asked hundreds of times.

I was not asking about needing a visa. I was asking about whether the lines are long in port to get one if you are not on a ship-sponsored SE. It was a question about delay, not need.

No need = no delay

Hopefully, this issue has now been clarified, until someone asks it again.

• 2 weeks later...
RUSSIA is a little different.

You do need a visa, and organising your own visa is time-consuming & expensive.

But if you take a tour you can be included on a group visa - the cost of the visa is included in the price of the tour.

This applies to ship's tours.

But it also applies to private tours organised by recognised local tour operators, of which there are several frequently recommended by cruisers, generally offering a service which is both cheaper & more personal.

T/As & cruiselines tend to forget to mention this. :rolleyes:

I think it's the commission on ships' tours that makes T/As so forgetful ;)

You are correct about the Russian visas. But the TA commission on ship tours? Maybe in the UK that happens, but not generally in the US.

Archived