Oceania's Free Shuttles List

hoffdahl

Does anyone have recent experience with shuttles in Marseilles, Monte Carlo and Barcelona. I am starting to make plans for our August cruise on the Riviera, and would be interested in what is available at these ports.

See above we bought our bus tickets at tourist info in port en route to town.

See above

We paid 5 euros for a day pass which you can buy on the bus in Monte Carlo or 8 euros for a 2 day pass which you have to buy in a tourist office or just go for another 5 euro next day on the bus. You can plan your routes and get on and off at will. Frequent stops all round the city.

End of August 2014, shuttles for "Iberian Sojurn" cruise, in addition to ones I mentioned above, were:

Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canaries - correction from above (my typo): O arranged a shuttle which ran every half hour, not hourly.

Santa Cruz, Palma, Canaries - Don't believe there was a shuttle, but center city is about a 5 - 10 minute walk from port gates. We docked at "Dique del Este."

Funchal, Madeira: O arranged a shuttle to Marina Shopping Center (can see it once you get on avenue that runs along waterfront) every half hour. As others have mentioned, it's a bit of a walk to that waterfront avenue. We docked on the long pier (south terminal, pier 3, in front of passenger terminal). Shuttle ran every hour & was arranged by Oceania.

Motril: The port provided a shuttle every 30 minutes to Motril city center. Note if you want to get to the Alhambra & Granada, it is not very easy from Motril, so take an excursion of some sort unless you just want to wander in Motril.

Valencia - We didn't arrive here until almost 3 (and left at 9 PM), so people were chomping at the bit to get on the first shuttle, which was provided by Oceania. There was a long line for the first shuttle, which ran to center city (old area - very scenic) to a street called Pintor Lopez just south of the Torre de Serranos (great location). I didn't get a schedule and didn't take the shuttle back (took a public bus instead from Arts and Sciences) so I don't know for sure, but I think they went back and forth every half hour. At the port, there was a short line of people waiting for taxis right after we docked. The public bus (EMT) is about a 5 - 10 minute walk from the port exit and there are red lines on the sidewalk (with "EMT bus" or something like that) to help you get to it. There's a tourist info place in the port terminal with maps; also a rep came on board the ship (as is almost always the case) and there was a rep near the shuttle buses with maps.

Palma - shuttle went to near the Cathedral in city center and was provided by Oceania. It ran on a half hourly schedule with a break for lunch from 12:30 to 2 PM. There's a stop for the public bus right outside the port (and a HOHO bus stop too) if the shuttle is not to your liking. This assumes you dock at the most common docking location (Poniente Sur). EMT (bus company) has a great website and the buses are easy to take and show the stops on an electronic board inside. On the way back on bus 1, you can see the ship from the main maritime avenue. We got off at the Club de Mar stop.

In all cases, Oceania put the shuttle info in the "Currents" passed out the night before arriving in a new port. They also provided a little shuttle schedule in the morning (see attached sample). Of course, as always, I think it is helpful to remember that just because this was our experience on this particular itinerary and ship, it may not be identical in the future for all ports. ships and cruises. Also, there are a lot of people who do not do any organized excursions and/or expect to use the free shuttles, so they can get crowded.

shuttle sched example.pdf

Edited by roothy123

We took cruise in 2011 on Nautica. Bangkok no shuttle needed we were right there, Saigon docks right in the city, Ko Samui able to walk to the town, Hanoi we docked in Ha Long Bay and were three hours from Hanoi however they did have a shuttle from the dock to a little market place and where you can take a tour of Ha Long

Bay.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for your response. It really helps:)!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know about:

Boston

Newport

Portland

Bar Harbour

Saint John N.B.

Halifax

Sydney N.S.

Corner Brook

Looking forward to Regatta in september

Merci

For all the above in red no shuttles but none needed as very close to town.

Look at Oli's trolley for Bar Harbor, great trip.

Edited by jo-b

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For Bruges last April on the Marina a free shuttle dropped us 200 yards from the train station to catch a 20-30 minute train to Bruges. Long line to purchase tickets but the line moved quickly and if you had a credit card with chip technology the self service machines were available. I don't think you could purchase a ticket on the train. Well worth the minor hassle vrs the expensive ship's tour and Bruges is completely flat and walkable. Free wifi at the tourist center also a plus.

• 2 months later...

We were there in 2012, so things may have changed since then, or you may find yourself at a different dock location that we did, making this info not all that useful. However, here are notes I compiled and kept:

Helsinki: Shuttle goes to end of Esplanade near “main shops” (think Lonnrotsgatan – see #27 on tram map). [Post-trip note: not sure if shuttle runs for all cruises, all day. Think bus drivers took a long break for lunch. Long lines in late afternoon, too, so plan accordingly!]

Riga: Post trip note: Some O cruises had shuttle that went to park near House of Blackheads & St. Peter’s Church, by Akman’s Tilts (bridge), but ours did not. It is easy to walk, however. To get to Old Town from ship, just walk along river for about 10-15 mins. If go over overpass soon after docking, you can also get there, but it’s a little longer. We followed crew members over there, thinking they knew a shortcut. They were going to the gas station with free wifi!

If want to see art nouveau section of Riga, it's not hard to walk, although I did find it a bit confusing. Post-trip notes: Elizabetes 10B is across street from places on Elizabetes without a “B” – about a ten to 15 min. walk from Eksporta iela where we docked – but in opposite direction from Old Town. Get a good map and find Eksporta iela (spelling?) to find the street. Alberta is the best street for art nouveau – again, use map.

Tallinn: Portoftallinn.com has port map (4 terminals) including gates; Terminal D farthest from Old Town; A-C together. portoftallin does not show what terminal we will be assigned to. TI is in Terminal A & main terminal has café & shops. Go to TI (or one at Raekoja Plats) & "pick up free walking tour map. Start in reverse to avoid crowds.” Also, at end of dock is small port shop with free WiFi. Shuttle runs every half hour from end of dock to near Kanuti Aed near Mere Puiestee.” [Post-trip note: Not sure if this shuttle is available to all cruisers or if Oceania arranged it.]

We docked in Warnemunde rather than Rostock, so I can't help with that - or Klaipeda.

• 4 weeks later...
We are looking at a Oceania cruise that leaves from New York and we were wondering if Oceania provides transportation from JFK to the docks. Does anyone have experience with this?

They will for a fee

I bet a taxi will be a lot less expensive ;)

We were there in 2012, so things may have changed since then, or you may find yourself at a different dock location that we did, making this info not all that useful. However, here are notes I compiled and kept:

Helsinki: Shuttle goes to end of Esplanade near “main shops” (think Lonnrotsgatan – see #27 on tram map). [Post-trip note: not sure if shuttle runs for all cruises, all day. Think bus drivers took a long break for lunch. Long lines in late afternoon, too, so plan accordingly!]

Riga: Post trip note: Some O cruises had shuttle that went to park near House of Blackheads & St. Peter’s Church, by Akman’s Tilts (bridge), but ours did not. It is easy to walk, however. To get to Old Town from ship, just walk along river for about 10-15 mins. If go over overpass soon after docking, you can also get there, but it’s a little longer. We followed crew members over there, thinking they knew a shortcut. They were going to the gas station with free wifi!

If want to see art nouveau section of Riga, it's not hard to walk, although I did find it a bit confusing. Post-trip notes: Elizabetes 10B is across street from places on Elizabetes without a “B” – about a ten to 15 min. walk from Eksporta iela where we docked – but in opposite direction from Old Town. Get a good map and find Eksporta iela (spelling?) to find the street. Alberta is the best street for art nouveau – again, use map.

Tallinn: Portoftallinn.com has port map (4 terminals) including gates; Terminal D farthest from Old Town; A-C together. portoftallin does not show what terminal we will be assigned to. TI is in Terminal A & main terminal has café & shops. Go to TI (or one at Raekoja Plats) & "pick up free walking tour map. Start in reverse to avoid crowds.” Also, at end of dock is small port shop with free WiFi. Shuttle runs every half hour from end of dock to near Kanuti Aed near Mere Puiestee.” [Post-trip note: Not sure if this shuttle is available to all cruisers or if Oceania arranged it.]

We docked in Warnemunde rather than Rostock, so I can't help with that - or Klaipeda.

thank you roothy 123!

Cruising NZ to Tahiti on Marina. Stopped at Bay of Islands, NZ, and was tendered to Wataingi. A free shuttlebus is available there to Paihia, where you can catch a Ferry to Russell and book tours from local operators. Oceania Cruises Currents noted that taxis could be used to get to Paihia, but did not mention the free shuttlebus. I changed currency on the ship to pay for a taxi, but did not have to use it for taxi fare after all.

• 4 weeks later...
No reflection on you Riana, but that is just one of the big problems with formatting this information as a thread.

Very few people are willing to scan through more than 100 posts, and even if they were, I meet an amazing number of otherwise very bright Cruise Critics who are unaware that anything exists beyond the first page of a thread,or the first page of the Oceania Board for that matter.

There must be a better way to do this

there is, but the scheduling of buses and the on/off reliability with the locals to provide such conveniences means that Oceania will not do this for us and there are few of us who have the time or contacts to keep such a list current. Having said this, it is a good start, and as long as one remains skeptical about there being a shuttle based on previous voyagers experiences, then it works.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, much appreciate this thread ;)

Will be off soon on our first cruise with O, was wondering if anyone can help me with the following ports? Do the shuttles run on a schedule?

Sorrento, Italy

Taormina (Sicily), Italy

Argostoli (Cephalonia), Greece

Kotor, Montenegro

Zadar, Croatia

Koper, Slovenia

Venice, Italy (shuttle to people mover or some such?)

Thanks for any insight - safe travels everyone :)

Will be off soon on our first cruise with O, was wondering if anyone can help me with the following ports? Do the shuttles run on a schedule?

Sorrento, Italy

Taormina (Sicily), Italy

Kotor, Montenegro

Zadar, Croatia

Koper, Slovenia

Glad you posted this. We will be doing these same ports in August and will be anxious to see what someone posts. I do however, know that when we did Sorrento with O they did have a shuttle to take us to town.

Carol

Sorrento, Italy

Taormina (Sicily), Italy

Kotor, Montenegro

Zadar, Croatia

Koper, Slovenia

As has been said before I can only comment on how things were when we visited these ports in the post. Oceania or the ports may have changed things.

Sorrento - shuttle provided to the town centre. It is walkable but a very steep hill up to the town.

Taormina - no shuttle provided but found instructions on this site for local buses. Waited at bus stop but no bus came, it was a Sunday and it poured with rain. Gave up and went back to the ship. If I went there again I would definitely take a tour

Kotor - tiny but beautiful place. No need for a shuttle, easy walk to the town centre

Venice - quite easy and interesting walk to St Mark's Square. A lot will depend on where you are docked

Haven't been to the other places but hope this helps.

Sweep