Liquor in Water Bottles

Years ago when boarding the Grandeur out of Tampa during Spring Break, there was an entire cart filled with confiscated booze ... and this was just in carry-on. I heard the security guard openly remark how AMAZING it was that so many people were worried about their breath and need large, full bottles of mouthwash on a 5-night cruise. ;)

So will my bag go to security because I’ve packed a bottle of mouthwash? I already have to carry on my 2 bottles of water rather than pack them as I don’t want the hassle of going to security to retrieve my suitcase for WATER!

Yes – it has happened, -they held my suitcase in security because of two bottles of water. The folks in security are very nice but having to wait in line, open the case and most importantly not having the luggage at a decent time in the afternoon is a hassle.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll put the mouthwash in my carry-on. By the way - carry-on security has NEVER checked my water bottles to make sure they were in fact water.

M

I can't imagine "minty" vodka!

So funny. On my last cruise my tablemate complained about just that. How he had bought 2 big Listerine bottles filled with brown liquor. He saved money, but said after he forced himself to finish the first bottle he couldn't stand it anymore. Said he washed the bottles very well but this liquor still tasted like Listerine. Yuck!

So will my bag go to security because I’ve packed a bottle of mouthwash? I already have to carry on my 2 bottles of water rather than pack them as I don’t want the hassle of going to security to retrieve my suitcase for WATER!

Yes – it has happened, -they held my suitcase in security because of two bottles of water. The folks in security are very nice but having to wait in line, open the case and most importantly not having the luggage at a decent time in the afternoon is a hassle.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll put the mouthwash in my carry-on. By the way - carry-on security has NEVER checked my water bottles to make sure they were in fact water.

M

Assuming you are driving to the port and not flying.

Won't room service deliver a glass or 2 of wine or other "spirits" if you called them?

Tried it once. Wanted to have a brandy on the balcony before bed. Waited 45 minutes. Not very convenient. And if we had wanted another...:mad: Thinking of buying a flask (empty) and buying brandy at the bar during day toi pour in flask and save for later. Otherwise only option currently available to suit our timing would be smuggling. Of course RCI could offer a third option and stop 80% of the smuggling - allow bottle purchase onboard, even if limited to one per passenger cruise (or week). The money they would save on screening would go straight to bottom line not to mention added revenue from sales versus smuggling non-sales.

By the way - carry-on security has NEVER checked my water bottles to make sure they were in fact water.

Last cruise I had two cans of beer in carry-on back pack. Figured options were leave in hotel, toss or take them and see - so no loss. Even told the x-ray person there was a couple cans of beer in there. No problem. Never did drink them so left them in cabin.

M

Me too about the mouthwash. I was getting a little worried that I shouldn't bring it but mouthwash is a daily must for me. I think I will get a couple of travel size ones and make sure the plastic seal is on the cap. That way it's obvious the liquid hasn't been switched.:)

one of my coworkers mentioned using mouth wash bottles. She said she got away with it on her last cruise and she's going to try again in January. I didn't say a word. I have never tried smuggling so I'm curious if she's successful or not ;-)

Last February when we were on a cruise. We were coming back from our excursion. When going through security I had a water bottle. The security guy shook the bottle then let me go through with it. He said he was checking to see if I was bringing any alcohol back onboard.

DD learned in college to wear the booze in in Ziploc bags....not me, I just put a few

miniatures in my shoes.......been doing that since '84 and so far so good. I just want a

little Bailey's before dinner while getting dressed.

First of all, be ready for the wrath of people judging you for suggesting it. Secondly, you will here about rumrunners and other tricks to get alchohol on the boat that can be successful but not always. Lastly, do what you need to but realize it can cost you. They will confiscate anything not sealed and not give it back or it can take your time on your vacation if you are called to the naughty room. I"ve read about someone trying to bring expensive scotch on board and losing it. Don't do mouthwash unless it is a liquer that tastes good with mint. Don't go crazy. If you are going to do it use reason and don't try to bring in the gang. I think it is possible to trick the system if you are cleaver and not ovbvious. Think about whether you can handle the embarrassment and cost and go from there.

Good response thank you

i know they are trying to make a buck and if they let people slide and bring alcohol on board they stand to lose money, but they charge a ton for drinks on board and its a captive audience with no other choice. i'm surprised to hear of a naughty room, that somewhat disappoints me that they would do that.

A post by the port person here mentioned the easy way to tell if a water bottle has liquor, just shake it bubbles not water, its probably liquor. try it yourself and see.

Uh oh, just shook my bottle of water and there were bubbles. What does this mean?!?! ahhhh...

DO NOT PUT GIN IN WATER BOTTLES - DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH:eek:

Okay, I am old enough to know better, but a couple of years ago DH and I did a last minute cruise in Galveston (pier is just down the road) and I decided I wanted to make some good dry martinis pre dinner Have the travel shaker, gin in water bottle, unbreakable glasses (real glass), thimble of vermouth and the olives.

Martinis were great - but didn't finish the gin.

A few months later, grabbed a water bottle from the frig, took a big swig on the front porch at 7:30 in the morning and felt eyeballs drop then roll down the steps::o

Straight Gin:eek:

Martinis are now special ordered in the bars on the ship with not a water bottle in sight;)

DO NOT PUT GIN IN WATER BOTTLES - DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH:eek:

Okay, I am old enough to know better, but a couple of years ago DH and I did a last minute cruise in Galveston (pier is just down the road) and I decided I wanted to make some good dry martinis pre dinner Have the travel shaker, gin in water bottle, unbreakable glasses (real glass), thimble of vermouth and the olives.

Martinis were great - but didn't finish the gin.

A few months later, grabbed a water bottle from the frig, took a big swig on the front porch at 7:30 in the morning and felt eyeballs drop then roll down the steps::o

Straight Gin:eek:

Martinis are now special ordered in the bars on the ship with not a water bottle in sight;)

Yikes! Good gin story. Reminds me of the time I tossed a beer in my lunch bag instead of a soda when I was heading off to work. Dawned on me when I was out in the car- had to run back and swop. Hey, anything can happen when you're in 'pre-coffee' status.:D

Question(s): (really scratching my head here)

1) Alcohol is sold at the 'duty free' shop on board.

2) We buy 'duty' free alcohol from the duty free shop on board.

3) We don't get to drink it until we leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

so far I get it....but...

4) Where and how does the cruise line BUY that 'duty free' alcohol?

5) Why would they not sell 'duty free' alcoholic drinks in the bars?

6) That would lower the prices of the drinks, would it not...or would it... not?

7) Is it bought 'duty free' by the cruise line..why are charged TOP dollar?

some answers

Question(s): (really scratching my head here)

1) Alcohol is sold at the 'duty free' shop on board.

2) We buy 'duty' free alcohol from the duty free shop on board.

3) We don't get to drink it until we leave the ship at the end of the cruise.

so far I get it....but...

4) Where and how does the cruise line BUY that 'duty free' alcohol? They buy it from exporters at the ship's home port where you board the ship. Since they are taking it out of the country they get it without taxes.

5) Why would they not sell 'duty free' alcoholic drinks in the bars? They use duty free alcohol in the bars which is why they can't open them until they are in international waters.

6) That would lower the prices of the drinks, would it not...or would it... not? Not. More profit for the cruise line

7) Is it bought 'duty free' by the cruise line..why are charged TOP dollar? it is called profit or bottom line

Archived