Soon to be hurricane Irene. Is this going to mess up departures next week?

kimberpuppy

It's been my experience that airlines like to pull their aircraft out of any situation where a potential hurricane might occur. If landfall is going to be Friday, you may have trouble getting to southern Florida anytime after Thursday night. There will be plenty of airplanes leaving Florida, but not many flying to Florida in this case. CNN is reporting that the exact track has it hitting land between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Of course there's alway the cone of uncertainty. Hopefully it will just go out to sea and you'll have a fantastic vacation! Good Luck.

Carnival Festivale - 2/1983

Adventure of the Seas - 2/2004

Enchantment of the Seas - 2/2006

Radiance of the Seas - 2/2008

Monarch of the Seas - 4/2010

Freedom of the Seas - 9/2011

If it is at all possible to get to Florida earlier I'd recommend it. Regardless, I would pay close attention to the cruise line's website for the latest updates. Timing is everything in these situations and if the storm is delayed or changes course you might be fine but things can change quickly. I hope you took travel insurance to cover any eventualities.:)

What are the chances it will affect my LAX-ATL-BCN on Friday/Saturday :eek::confused:

While I would keep a close watch on the weather forecasts, I believe that ATL should still be well out of the storm's path at that time. Check with your airline carrier as well to explore all your options.:)

Sailing on the oasis which leaves Saturday. Flying from Michigan Friday morning. I'm nervous about flight cancellations. Hopefully we all arrive on time!!!!

I'm on the same sailing as you this Saturday. From my understanding, it looks like it will hit early Friday and move to northern Florida by the afternoon and should be just at the northern border by Saturday morning. My flight from NJ goes along the east coast, so I should be fine with that. I'm not sure what your flight path is, but you should be able to get in because by that time the storm would either be out of your way or would have weakened after being over land. I just hope that it doesn't prevent anyone from boarding her on time :eek:

It is still too early to know when or where it will hit. I have seen them speed up or stall out and just dump tons of rain on a certain area. I would recommend watching the weather channel and thinking of a backup plan. I live in NC and have been in the cone of possibility many times and it all stayed off shore. Don't worry yet! Now if they are predicting it 2-3 days out take it more seriously. It will probably skip Fla and give our poor beaches a viisit! Hopefully it will curve out to sea!

Here's a funny (funny now) story that happened a few years ago. We were scheduled to sail out of Miami on an RCI ship, (can't remember which) but there was a hurricane headed to Miami. We were scheduled to fly to Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest Airlines. SW canceled their flights to Ft. Lauderdale and RCI said they were sailing on schedule, if we didn't show up, too bad, we lose our $$. This was before we were smart and purchased insurance. Anyway, we had friends who were flying from NC also, so we caught a flight to Tampa, our friends flew into Orlando, rented a car and picked us up in Tampa. We DROVE to Miami down the Western side of Florida, through Alligator Alley and into Miami as the storm hit. The freeway was deserted, the wind was blowing and the rain was pelting us all the way there. We were super stressed and asked ourselves the whole way if we were crazy to do this. We finally made it to the Doubletree in Miami to find out they postponed the cruise one day. We did take the cruise and got an future cruise credit. Moral of the story: get there early if possible, ahead of flight cancellations and buy trip insurance! We had a great cruise and a great story but I'd rather not do that again! Have a great cruise! By the way, we're on the Allure on September 11th, hope storms have gone away by then but we're prepared to fly in early if they rear their ugly heads!:D

My 23 old son and friends arrived in Domincan Republic this morning, due to be hit tomorrow and Tuesday, :( hope it blows over and affects no one.

Wow! Hope and and his friends are safe. I would rather be in DP than Haiti though in such a storm.

Freedom leaves on Sunday from Port Canaveral. The current NOAA tracks predict the storm around Orlando at the Friday 2:00 PM mark. Does anyone have experience with how soon airlines start flying post-storm? Will a Saturday flight 24 hours later into Orlando go on schedule, assuming the predicted track stays accurate?

What are the chances it will affect my LAX-ATL-BCN on Friday/Saturday :eek::confused:

Hurricane center has just reported it will be over Florida Friday. As it moves north, it very well may disrupt your flight connection in Atlanta. Atlanta is known for its weather related issues. If your able to rebook for Wed, I would go for it.

Hurricane center has just reported it will be over Florida Friday. As it moves north, it very well may disrupt your flight connection in Atlanta. Atlanta is known for its weather related issues. If your able to rebook for Wed, I would go for it.

I am hoping it will not affect flights out of ATL to Barcelona Friday night..Scheduled for departure @5:55pm..Can't rebook.

My flight leaves Detroit @ 10 am on friday, scheduled to land at Lauderdale at 12:24, precisely the time that seven of the ten hurricane models have Irene being directly over Lauderdale.

I called American Express travel to try to change to Thursday, which is possible, but it is a $150 fee per ticket to change, atop paying the new fare that ends up being $340 per ticket. For the two of us to fly down one day early is just under $1,000. The fees are understandable because I'm three days out..

I'm not really sure what to do. If our flights are cancelled or severely delayed on Friday, it does not leave us enough time to physically drive to Florida (22-24 hours). Our options would then be to hopefully get switched to flying to another airport as close as possible and renting a vehicle to drive the rest of the way.

Driving a day early would mean a round trip of 2800 miles, This would cost aprox $710 in fuel alone @ $3.70/gallon, plus I would miss an additional day of work which makes it cheaper to fly.

I absolutely hate the thought of dropping $1,000 to switch flights to a day earlier with the chance of having no problems with our existing itinerary, but I would hate to miss our cruise.

I think this will be our first and last cruise during hurricane season.

We normally go in February, and as long as we bypass Atlanta, and go with a direct flight, our trips have been fine. It takes a lot of snow to shut down Detroit's airport.

Freedom leaves on Sunday from Port Canaveral. The current NOAA tracks predict the storm around Orlando at the Friday 2:00 PM mark. Does anyone have experience with how soon airlines start flying post-storm? Will a Saturday flight 24 hours later into Orlando go on schedule, assuming the predicted track stays accurate?

It is still too early to know where or when it will hit. They will cancel most flights on the day that is effected. Then they have to reposition all the planes. Realize that the cone is the center. Wait until tommorrow to change or modify anything. Things can change alot in 24 hours. If it moves left or right the whole path changes. If you notice the cone is narrower 1-2 days out so they can't be accurate at this point. They can be off especially this far out. Don't worry yet.

I live here in South Florida - if all the hurricanes hit us - I would never go to work between June 1 and November 1. While sailing during this time is iffy, it is always good to fly in at minimum a day in advance.

I agree with this. I think Fla and the Carolinas are always listed as a possibilty. They would rather bring it up and be wrong than not mention it and all of a sudden it heads towards us. But think about it. It can't hit everywhere from Fla to the Outer Banks of NC. That is alot of miles! So watch it and don't worry until tommorrow. It can change alot in 24 hrs!

My flight leaves Detroit @ 10 am on friday, scheduled to land at Lauderdale at 12:24, precisely the time that seven of the ten hurricane models have Irene being directly over Lauderdale.

I called American Express travel to try to change to Thursday, which is possible, but it is a $150 fee per ticket to change, atop paying the new fare that ends up being $340 per ticket. For the two of us to fly down one day early is just under $1,000. The fees are understandable because I'm three days out..

I'm not really sure what to do. If our flights are cancelled or severely delayed on Friday, it does not leave us enough time to physically drive to Florida (22-24 hours). Our options would then be to hopefully get switched to flying to another airport as close as possible and renting a vehicle to drive the rest of the way.

Driving a day early would mean a round trip of 2800 miles, This would cost aprox $710 in fuel alone @ $3.70/gallon, plus I would miss an additional day of work which makes it cheaper to fly.

I absolutely hate the thought of dropping $1,000 to switch flights to a day earlier with the chance of having no problems with our existing itinerary, but I would hate to miss our cruise.

I think this will be our first and last cruise during hurricane season.

We normally go in February, and as long as we bypass Atlanta, and go with a direct flight, our trips have been fine. It takes a lot of snow to shut down Detroit's airport.

Not sure what airline you are flying but if the expected path of the hurricane will impact that airport, the airline might allow you to switch to an earlier flight and waive any change fees. That is what we did last February when we were flying Jet Blue to Florida when a snowstorm was approaching Boston. It was well worth the cost of any extra night at a hotel, especially since Logan airport was closed a few hours after we departed and didn't reopen until the day before we were scheduled to sail. Chances are that the backlog of delayed passengers wouldn't have been cleared up in time for us to make our cruise. Call your airline and enquire. The worst that they can say is NO.

Archived