On Board Cooking Classes

HollDoll

I read here on CC a while ago that I could call in advance of my cruise and get signed up, and prepay, for a cooking class during the cruise. I called Ship's Services today and was told that is not true; I can do nothing until I board and then need to go to the front desk. Do you think the policy has changed, or might I have been connected to someone who didn't know? If anyone here thinks I should be able to enroll now and prepay, let me know and I'll call back. Thanks much!

I read here on CC a while ago that I could call in advance of my cruise and get signed up, and prepay, for a cooking class during the cruise. I called Ship's Services today and was told that is not true; I can do nothing until I board and then need to go to the front desk. Do you think the policy has changed, or might I have been connected to someone who didn't know? If anyone here thinks I should be able to enroll now and prepay, let me know and I'll call back. Thanks much!

The cooking classes must be signed up for only after boarding the ship.

Ship's Services is correct.

Make sure that you go directly to the Front Desk as soon as you board as the classes (hands on) are limited to around 12 people. I believe we paid $29.00 per class.

Joanie

what cooking classes are offered?

Usually the dishes are things that are served in Pinnacle Grill. Included is Appetizer, Entree and Dessert. Not sure what exact dishes as hubby took them and not I. I know that after cooking you take the food to the Pinnacle Grill and dine there on the results. You also get an apron and other goodies.

Joanie

At one time it was possible to pre-purchase a "voucher" which would guarantee you a spot in a class, but you could not specify what class. You had to take that voucher to the front desk to enroll in the specific class you want.

I did a search and found a post on Mar 14 2011 that said you could do this, and another on June 1 that said you could no longer do it.

We've never been able to sign up before a cruise. HAL may have switched back and forth on its policy and we didn't cruise with HAL for a couple of years so maybe we missed the period where you could sign up ahead of time. Anyhow, we've taken five classes over the years. One of the first things we do after we've put our things away in the cabin is head for the front desk and get the schedule and menus for the classes. We've always taken at least one course on our cruises since they started the classes and sometimes two classes but it depends on if the menu to be taught sounds like something we'd fix at home. And yes, we've picked up a number of dishes that we fix at home and have one planned for this next Sunday that we learned on the Maasdam in March. :)

I was able to pay in advance on our March Noordam cruise but had to sign up for the class on board. My hope was that prepaying would guarantee a spot in class but that wasn't the case. Anyway, really enjoyed the class and will do it again. In our case we ate our finished dishes in the Culinary Arts Center, not the Pinnacle Grill.

We will be on the Zaandam in an S suite in October. Is the class something the concierge in the Neptune Lounge can book for us? Or should we plan on going to the Front Desk when we board?

You can definetly book through the concierge. She'll be able to tell you what classes are offered and sign you up but I don't think she can get you into a class that is already been booked up.

We prepaid in Feb. 2010 (Eurodam) and were guaranteed a space. Ha, went to the front office almost as soon as we boarded and thee classes were full. It was not easy to get the refund, but finally did. Prepaid again in Nov. 2010 (Ryndam), but we changed our minds once we got on board so we cancelled and got a prompt refund. We didn't inquire for our upcoming Veendam cruise so I don't know if you received correct info or not.

Before you book a cooking course, double check the itinerary to be sure that it isn't during any scenic cruising portions of the trip. A couple of years ago on a cruise to Alaska, one of the few times that they offered cooking classes was also when we were passing through the very scenic Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay.

If we're in a superior suite, can this booking be done as soon as we get on board via the telephone concierge?

Should be able to ... but you won't be able to "look over" the menus to be done. Might be easier to go to the front desk.

I also would like to know if we can book the cooking classes or get PG reservations, etc. from our telephone in our SS suite?
Should be able to make PG reservations that way, or you can simply call ext. 88 yourself and not have to play telephone tag if the time/day you want is not available.

The ones you pay for are definetly hands on. How hands on will depend on how many people are in the class. The class I took had some cancellations and would normally have been cancelled but they went ahead anyway. Only 3 of us so we each had a recipe to work on...great experience working with the professional chef. Had everyone shown up we would have had to share the work.

We will be on the Zaandam in an S suite in October. Is the class something the concierge in the Neptune Lounge can book for us? Or should we plan on going to the Front Desk when we board?

The concierge can do anything the front desk can do, and many things the front desk can't. All while seated comfortably.

Are the hands on classes offered on all itineraries? We will be doing 2 7 day Caribbean cruises, as a Collectors cruise, and I'd like to know if they are available and if we can book for the second week when we first board.

Thanks!

Are the hands on classes offered on all itineraries? We will be doing 2 7 day Caribbean cruises, as a Collectors cruise, and I'd like to know if they are available and if we can book for the second week when we first board.

Thanks!

Yes you can book for both weeks at the same time:) Been there, done that before and doing it again in 2 weeks:)

Joanie

Archived