Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

mikensuenfl ~ Have a grand old time.

TurtleTagger ~ This is what I saw. Cuttlefish? Squid?

West-Bay-Reef45.jpg

West-Bay-Reef47.jpg

West-Bay-Reef46.jpg

For those of you interested I have the West Bay snorkel pics posted here.

I still have to get to the Sandy Bay snorkel pics to post.

I checked out all your pictures and you've got some really great shots! :) The fish with the blue neon spots are my favorites, and I know what you mean about them not cooperating. I must have take 50 photos and not one came out!

According to TurtleTagger's eye location differentiation, those are squid... maybe that's what I've seen before and the cuttlefish never made it across the pond :o ,but that's what they used to say about Lionfish and I'm sure we all spotted them here off Roatan! :D

Some good info on this site regarding Caribbean squid. According to it, the Caribbean squid, as a species, do indeed look similar to Cuttlefish vs other squid species. But is just so happens that there are no Cuttlefish found off North American waters. Who knew? :confused:

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/Ssepioidea.php

Armedaneian ~ thanks! I believe those with the neon blue spots are my favs as well. Course I dig the half and half purple and yellow ones as well.

TurtleTagger ~ you are spot on correct Caribbean squid. Thank oodles for the info and the link.

You are most welcome.. I was out there today, saw myself 17 squid all in a nice little row.. I have no idea that the behavior is about but it was sure good fun watching them.

I swam through the kidney and down to the wall on Tuesday last week. Saw several squid in the channel between the inner and outer reefs, along with the usual assortment of reef residents.

Hi folks, we were at west bay last wed. Water was choppy,so we decided to stay close to shore and snorkeled around the wall. Had fun ,however we want to go back and swim through the kidney next time.. For sure we want to go back.thanks again to all of the posters on this thread.mike

Marbella Beach is perhaps what West Bay was before humans showed up. It is truly a beautiful spot but not so much as a port a potty much less a building.

There has been talk for years about John Edwards, the Parrot Tree guy, building a resort and marina on Marbellla beach. I have not been down to that part of the island in a few years so I am not sure what the what is at the moment.

This is Marbella beach on a good day.. speaking of critters I found on the beach. Imagine my surprise! :)

Guest 2000, I haven't been there yet, but, your description and pics, make me envious. How did you get 7 weeks in this seeming paradise? Also, who owns the beaches on Roatan? Is Marbella Beach for sale?

mikensuenfl ~ Choppy water, perfect excuse to return. :D

BeneClone,

As far as I know every thing on the island is for sale, for a price. Marbella included, or at least parts of it are. The same guy that developed Parrot Tree Plantation was going to build a gated community with condos and a marina on Marbella Beach..there are also private lots. When the world tried to blow up a few years back pretty much everything stopped. I googled "marbella beach roatan" and got may a hit. I have no idea what the current status is.Phillip Buck may be able to help you out with details if you are looking to buy.

Everyone will tell you all the of beaches on the are island public, just how much of the sand between the water and property line is often in question. Access is another challenge. West Bay Beach for example, only has one public access road, next to Bananrama, all the others are through resorts, while most of the time many of the resorts don't so much mind who comes and goes, the security does and may question. If you arrive on West Bay Beach on a boat or by foot..ya have not a worry in the world.

Half Moon Bay beach in West End is available to anyone cause it is is right on the main road, easy peasy. Sandy Bay beach is easy to get to. Fantasy Island has a beach but a person can't even get on the island without going through security and I think paying them. I think Coco View has the same deal. I think ya have to be a guest of Barefoot Cay to get to their beach. So, public beach is varied.

I am an international house/pet sitter, pretty much at my client's beck and call 24/7, no evening or weekends off. I managed to balance it out by arranging to have Feb and most of March off as long as I am available for Spring Break. It is a good balance, this way we all get to travel.

Speaking of..I must away to feed and clean two barns full of horses and get several dogs out for walks :)

Edited by Guest 2000

Awesome Thread! I'm just under a year out for my cruise, you can't start planning too soon right!?! Thank you all for the time you have put into your postings, I have taken several notes! Good thing I have a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii scheduled this summer so that I can get my snorkel fix!!!:D Thanks again!

Awesome Thread! I'm just under a year out for my cruise, you can't start planning too soon right!?! Thank you all for the time you have put into your postings, I have taken several notes! Good thing I have a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii scheduled this summer so that I can get my snorkel fix!!!:D Thanks again!

I agree, never to early to plan one's next adventure. :)

Great thread!

What would be the cheapest way for my family of 5 to get to this strip of beach from the Carnival port?

And can we rent snorkel equipment from this area? If so, how much? I'm considering purchasing equipment, but I'm not sure yet.

And can we rent snorkel equipment from this area? If so, how much? I'm considering purchasing equipment, but I'm not sure yet.

Yes, you can rent equipment there. We had taken our own mask and snorkel and just wanted to rent fins (but didn't end up doing it) and they had told us $10 each pair at first. We declined and they later came back telling us $10 for both. So, you can haggle with them. They are walking up and down the beach...several vendors you can rent from. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you can rent equipment there. We had taken our own mask and snorkel and just wanted to rent fins (but didn't end up doing it) and they had told us $10 each pair at first. We declined and they later came back telling us $10 for both. So, you can haggle with them. They are walking up and down the beach...several vendors you can rent from. :)

I went ahead and bought equipment for all five of us. I got U.S. Divers sets...$153 for all five sets. The investment will pay itself in less than two excursions, since it would likely cost me $20 per person to rent full sets.

I was going to get five "Cozumel" sets, since they have decent reviews for a beginner set. But then I realized that for two of the sets (Adult Medium), I was able to get the "Trek" for $33. For my set, I was able to get a child's size large in the Premium set for $30. For the two sets that we needed in Adult Large, it was going to cost $42 for the Trek set, so I went with the $28 Cozumel set instead. So we ended up with three premium sets and two Cozumel sets.

Edited by rockbock

We're getting close - I may have missed it if someone said - when we get on the ocean side of the reef, are there currents we need to be aware of?

There is often a current going toward the iguana wall but it is doubtful you will notice it until if and when you decided to go back the way you started, it is a bit more work to swim away from the wall.

If one's find themselves on the ocean side of black rock there are days the current hits the wall and with some amount of force slides around Lighthouse point... I would be very careful here if you are not a strong swimmer, may end up in open sea pretty fast. :)

Question - I have a family of 5. Can somebody tell me how much it would cost us (round trip) for transportation to get to one of these decent sites where we can snorkel right off the beach?

You will have to do some research on the topic, the cab fares are not regulated so it is all about the haggling. With five people you will need a van. I recommend you have a chat with several of the tour companies, they will either toss you in with other people wanting to do the same things or you can have a private tour. This way there is no haggling with the independent taxi.

Bodden, Ronys and Christopher tours come to mind.

If you want to take your chances with the independents and are happy haggling, I have seen reports of $15pp from Coxen Hole to West Bay Beach and $20pp from Mahogany Bay.

You will have to do some research on the topic, the cab fares are not regulated so it is all about the haggling. With five people you will need a van. I recommend you have a chat with several of the tour companies, they will either toss you in with other people wanting to do the same things or you can have a private tour. This way there is no haggling with the independent taxi.

If you want to take your chances with the independents and are happy haggling, I have seen reports of $15pp from Coxen Hole to West Bay Beach and $20pp from Mahogany Bay.

Thanks. I thought this might be the case, so I started looking into tours. I already emailed Bodden for some additional info. Honestly, there's no way I'm going to pay $15 - $20 per person for a cab ride when I can get a full day guide, sightseeing, snorkeling, monkeys, etc. for just $5 more!

Thanks. I thought this might be the case, so I started looking into tours. I already emailed Bodden for some additional info. Honestly, there's no way I'm going to pay $15 - $20 per person for a cab ride when I can get a full day guide, sightseeing, snorkeling, monkeys, etc. for just $5 more!

Exactly!! enjoy the island! :)

I know that most of the discussion on this thread is pretty old, but was wondering if anyone who has been snorkeling off the end of the dock at Maya Key and at some of the other locations could tell me which is better? I was at Maya Key last January and will be back in Roatan next January! I LOVED the snorkeling there; the guide they had took me way out to where the reef dropped off into nothing and it was amazing! But it was only my second time snorkeling, so I don't have a lot to compare it with. It did beat my snorkeling experience in Grand Cayman by a country mile! We saw a long row of squid all lined up, puffer fish, an octupus, numerous colorful smaller fish, sea urchins, jelly fish and what I think was a Barracuda right where the reef dropped off into infinity. We were probably in 30+ ft depth water over the reef at that point. My guide showed me how to dive down underwater so I could get a closer look at stuff. It was so fun and amazing that I can't imagine it could get better! But if it could, I want to know and go there! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics cause I didn't realize Maya Key offered snorkeling and left my underwater cameras on the ship. And since my grand Cayman experience wasn't all that, I didn't decide to go until the last hour there! If I go back, I definitely to snorkel and take pics! I loved it so much it made me think about learning to Scuba dive!

I know that most of the discussion on this thread is pretty old, but was wondering if anyone who has been snorkeling off the end of the dock at Maya Key and at some of the other locations could tell me which is better? I was at Maya Key last January and will be back in Roatan next January! I LOVED the snorkeling there; the guide they had took me way out to where the reef dropped off into nothing and it was amazing! But it was only my second time snorkeling, so I don't have a lot to compare it with. It did beat my snorkeling experience in Grand Cayman by a country mile! We saw a long row of squid all lined up, puffer fish, an octopus, numerous colorful smaller fish, sea urchins, jelly fish and what I think was a Barracuda right where the reef dropped off into infinity. We were probably in 30+ ft depth water over the reef at that point. My guide showed me how to dive down underwater so I could get a closer look at stuff.

I have not snorkeled Maya Kay, it is on my list but as a non cruise person it is a bit more a of challenge to get to. :) I attempted last March but it didn't come together.

From your description it sounds like West Bay from Infinity to the Wall (if you have not read this thread, please do) are much like Maya Key. The only thing on your list I have not seen in West Bay is an octopus, but I have turtles so it kinda evens out.

These are pics I took in West Bay, March of this year. There are no pics of the "great blue beyond" but believe me it is there. :)

I know nothing about the possibility of guides in West Bay so I can not help you there, sounds like the guide at Maya Key was very good indeed.

As an added thought, if you have not see West Bay Beach, it is a place I think everyone should at least have a peek of. If you have already seen West Bay, it may be worth while to go back to Maya Key being you are familiar with it. There will prolly be alot more people both on the beach and in the water in West Bay.. Tough Call.

Thanks so much for your reply and the link to the pics Guest 2000! I checked them out, and they definitely look similar to what I experienced at Maya Key. I have never been to West Bay Beach and I will definitely consider going! I may go back to Maya Key simply because the guides were provided at no extra cost beyond a tip and you could go at your leisure, no set times. Because I waited until later in the day, I had the guide all to myself and he was excellent. He knew his way around that whole underwater area like it was his back yard! It was nice to be guided through the corral so as to not have to search for the deeper channels to swim through to get all the way out. I do hope you get a chance to go there and snorkel yourself! Maya Key itself was very nice and clean, not crowded at all and the beach, while not huge, was very, very beautiful.

We got a rate of $20 per adult and $15 per child from Mahogany bay to the public access next to Bananarama when we went last fall. That was with only a small amount of haggle. I think it's a pretty standard fare if you don't take the first price automaticaly. We had a large party so it was a "Private tour" instead of a taxi ride. You just have to tell the guide to take you direct to the public acess point or they will want to stop all over the place.

I absolutely hate haggling. The best way I found is rather passive though. I just state what I am willing to pay and when the taxi coordinator predictably looks astonished or offended and counters, I say ok but sorry, that's not what we are willing to pay and take the whole group about 15 feet away and mill about. Every time, they have met my price after 5 min or so. Obviously you have to be somewhat reasonable in your price.

And yes, that spot marked on the overhead photo posted near the begining of this thread is great snorkleing. No need to hire a boat.