Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

Infinity and it's neighbor Tabyana will both be very busy...though it is all relative to what busy means to you.

I don't think Infinity rents chairs alone..one could email them to ask.

I saw loungers down by the wall the other day..part of Grand Roatan I think... that bar may be offer chairs.

Bananarama is the next property up the beach that offers loungers, they are $10..or were two weeks ago. Due to where Bananarama is the space is limited.

Course there are many places farther up the beach if you are willing to walk down to snorkel... some partners like to sorta keep each other in sight.

The beach is free, one could take a towel and plop about anywhere that is available though this year many of the resorts have signs up closer to their property saying it is for there guests only so one need worry about just how much of the sand is free and available. The other concerns is the sand fleas... they do love many people and there are whispers they truly enough salt encrusted skin.

In the end, no a day pass is not necessary but I would sure be more comfortable with one. :0)

Infinity and it's neighbor Tabyana will both be very busy...though it is all relative to what busy means to you.

I don't think Infinity rents chairs alone..one could email them to ask.

I saw loungers down by the wall the other day..part of Grand Roatan I think... that bar may be offer chairs.

Bananarama is the next property up the beach that offers loungers, they are $10..or were two weeks ago. Due to where Bananarama is the space is limited.

Course there are many places farther up the beach if you are willing to walk down to snorkel... some partners like to sorta keep each other in sight.

The beach is free, one could take a towel and plop about anywhere that is available though this year many of the resorts have signs up closer to their property saying it is for there guests only so one need worry about just how much of the sand is free and available. The other concerns is the sand fleas... they do love many people and there are whispers they truly enough salt encrusted skin.

In the end, no a day pass is not necessary but I would sure be more comfortable with one. :0)

Thank you so much, appreciate your valuable input along with everyone else's on this post. Now we have to figure out what is a great authentic place to dine while there..

Thank you so much, appreciate your valuable input along with everyone else's on this post. Now we have to figure out what is a great authentic place to dine while there..

On West Bay beach there is not one BUT ask your driver if he has a mother, sister, wife or auntie who cooks... or perhaps a friends mother cooks. That would be all kinds of authentic. :0)

On West Bay beach there is not one BUT ask your driver if he has a mother, sister, wife or auntie who cooks... or perhaps a friends mother cooks. That would be all kinds of authentic. :0)

Lol, okay got it:cool:

A few years ago, we snorkeled off of what was then known as "Fins and Flippers"...a small cay just seaward from the ship's dock.

I was amazed at how healthy the reef appeared to me....I have not seen a really "live" reef since Bora Bora in the 70's.

I would assume that the reefs all around Roatan island are in pretty good shape.

A few years ago, we snorkeled off of what was then known as "Fins and Flippers"...a small cay just seaward from the ship's dock.

I was amazed at how healthy the reef appeared to me....I have not seen a really "live" reef since Bora Bora in the 70's.

I would assume that the reefs all around Roatan island are in pretty good shape.

I was just at Maya Key (formally fins and flippers) in December and the place is STILL simply amazing! So much coral, fish and sealife. The place has become one of my favorite snorkeling places now. :)

• 9 months later...

Having snorkeled West Bay I would say that although it is quite beautiful it can be very tricky going through and over the coral. I wish we would have arranged a guided snorkeling tour with Victor Bodden. His brother Francisco guided our tour and they have grown up snorkeling and fishing the island.

• 2 months later...

This is a great thread!

Just wondering, what is the general consensus on taking a boat out to do some snorkelling VS just swimming from the shore into and around the kidney?

Also, I came across another aerial photo of the snorkeling spots at West Bay Beach that I though others might find helpful as well...

Mapa-wbba_front_maponly_1600x800_50.jpg

This is a great thread!

Just wondering, what is the general consensus on taking a boat out to do some snorkelling VS just swimming from the shore into and around the kidney?

Also, I came across another aerial photo of the snorkeling spots at West Bay Beach that I though others might find helpful as well...

Just my thoughts, but why take a boat out when you can get all the snorkeling your little heart desires right here from shore for free? It's not like this is a little snorkel area and you might see things here and there...it's an actual reef.

Thanks for the link to the picture. That is an awesome find. :)

What does everyone do with their belongings while snorkeling?

I want to enjoy myself - not worry about my bag (sunscreen, room key, ID, etc). Obviously you keep your money on you, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What does everyone do with their belongings while snorkeling?

I want to enjoy myself - not worry about my bag (sunscreen, room key, ID, etc). Obviously you keep your money on you, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I take everything with me in my dry pack...money, cc, room key, ID. Everything else sitting on the beach...towels, cover up, and shoes, can all be replaced if it's stolen. I don't take anything worth any value. I have never had a problem yet. (Fingers crossed) :)

Having a tough time deciding

Snorkeling with the nurse sharks and rays in Belize looks pretty amazing, and Caye Caulker looks nice....but on the other hand Cave Tubing sounds like a pretty unique experience as well.

Option A

-Cave Tubing in Belize

-Private tour in Roatan that would include West Bay beach (boat snorkelling at the reef and beach time), West End, and a visit to see the monkeys.

Option B

-Shark Ray Alley snorkeling and time at Caye Caulker in Belize

-Private tour in Roatan...same as above but likely without the boat snorkeling portion (and maybe just some shore snorkeling at West Bay beach instead).

Opinions?

Having a tough time deciding

Snorkeling with the nurse sharks and rays in Belize looks pretty amazing, and Caye Caulker looks nice....but on the other hand Cave Tubing sounds like a pretty unique experience as well.

Option A

-Cave Tubing in Belize

-Private tour in Roatan that would include West Bay beach (boat snorkelling at the reef and beach time), West End, and a visit to see the monkeys.

Option B

-Shark Ray Alley snorkeling and time at Caye Caulker in Belize

-Private tour in Roatan...same as above but likely without the boat snorkeling portion (and maybe just some shore snorkeling at West Bay beach instead).

Opinions?

I was having a similar problem deciding, same options for Belize. But for Roatan was also considering Maya Key due to great snorkeling reviews.

We watched you tube videos to help us decide. Although we have not gone yet, go in May, we will do the Shark ray Alley for Belize and Maya Key for Roatan. Cave tubing looked too boring for the daughters.

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered this for my stuff while snorkeling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJ7WHE

Wow, that's an awesome deal if it's only $14.95 and it comes with at least that $20 bill in the picture. :D Just kidding. I'm in "rare" form today.

I really need to get a new dry pack. The one I currently have is an Aquapack and I REALLY hate it. It leaks every time. :( Are these supposed to be good? Anyone with experience with them? Do they go around your neck or something? The thing I like about mine is that is has like a belt (kinda like a nanny pack) and it doesn't get in my way. I'm not sure I would enjoy something around my neck while trying to swim. Thoughts?

That's the same exact one we've used for about 10 years. One of the clips actually broke this past week, but it still worked. I'll be ordering another one before our next trip.

We put cash, ship pass, ID and sometimes a credit card. If any if those things get a bit wet it's no big deal.

Sometimes it stays perfectly dry, other times the items have gotten wet. I think that really depends on how careful my husband closes it up. Of course, we've never had a problem with anyone taking wet money :)

Usually,my husband will wear a bathing suit that has a loop style tag and pocket on it. He loops the cord through the tag then puts the pouch in his pocket. Sometimes he wears it around his neck.

Edited by ValerieJo

Sometimes it stays perfectly dry, other times the items have gotten wet. I think that really depends on how careful my husband closes it up. Of course, we've never had a problem with anyone taking wet money :)

See that's the problem with my current one. I can put it in regular sink water for hours before going on a trip and it will never leak. The minute I take it snorkeling in the ocean, it leaks. Everything always gets wet. :(

• 3 weeks later...
We either rent a locker or if I don't have my Nikon, we use a dry pac for cards and money. Everything else is easily replaceable.

This thread is great! Can someone please provide a ballpark cost for the locker rentals? Are they available in multiple locations? Thank you in advance...

:)

This thread is great! Can someone please provide a ballpark cost for the locker rentals? Are they available in multiple locations? Thank you in advance...

:)

I do not know the price.. I know for a fact Bananarama has lockers and I am almost sure Tabyana has lockers. The Bananarama web site may help answer your question..or you can email them.