Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

Can someone please simplify this for us? My party of three wants to get off the boat, take a taxi to someplace right there on the beach, rent clean snorkles and fins, swim in the kidney and have a good lunch with lobster or coconut shrimp, hang out in a chair and go back. There are so many posts on this thread. Walk to where to get a taxi? How much is reasonable for the 3 of us for the taxi? What all-inclusive place to go to? Bananarama's or Foster's? Please just give us a good plan :o

Can someone please simplify this for us? My party of three wants to get off the boat, take a taxi to someplace right there on the beach, rent clean snorkles and fins, swim in the kidney and have a good lunch with lobster or coconut shrimp, hang out in a chair and go back. There are so many posts on this thread. Walk to where to get a taxi? How much is reasonable for the 3 of us for the taxi? What all-inclusive place to go to? Bananarama's or Foster's? Please just give us a good plan :o

To make it as simple and painless as possible I suggest you take the Tabyana option from the ship. The reef snorkeling will be steps from your lounger. As will be food and snorkel gear.

If that doesn't appeal, contact Bananarama, they are the nest closest resort to the kidney that offers transport as well as snorkel gear, loungers and food. It will be a 2 min walk down the beach to the kidney.

On a side note, I don't know what you mean by clean snorkel gear... I would not use a strangers tooth brush you can bet I would not rent a public snorkel, I have rented fins.

We had really great lobster in two places on our recent one week visit.....

Infinity Bay had some wonderful lobster..... I had it for dinner one night. $32.00 for a huge plate ! Had a great white butter sauce on it - YUM. You can use the beach for free and the Palapa Bar Restaurant right on the beach is open to the public AS LONG AS YOU EAT ! To use the pool and chairs you need to buy a day pass. Don't bother - just go to Bananarama and rent a chair for $5.00. When you are hungry walk down the beach a bit and eat at IB.

The other place we had great lobster was Lighthouse Restaurant in WEst End Village. DH had 1.5 tails - fried with fries and fruit for $9.00 US. From right in front of Infinity Bay there is a pier. Hop on a water taxi for $3.00 per person and an 8-10 minute ride later you will be in WEst End Village. Cool area to explore too and shop !

As for getting there. Walk up the hill, negotiate a price with a taxi to take you, wait for you and bring you back.

We paid $15.00 per person from Coxen Hole dock (we were not on Carnival ship) for 3 people that was $45.00 for basically the whole day. Mahogany Bay will be a bit more...... do not take the first offer.... or even the first taxi you come to. We walked down the block a bit ....... or arrange it ahead with one of the local tour companies. There are quite a few recommended here on CC

Edited by texancruzer
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for your help. Between the taxi thread and this thread I decided to book Victor Bodden tours to do the driving (got the infamous Tex) and plan to visit both West Bay Beach and the West End Village, drive around the island a bit, let him pick a good restaurant and check out Penelope's Island Emporium. I also plan to buy our snorkeling equipment :o. Thanks again!

Thank you guys for your help. Between the taxi thread and this thread I decided to book Victor Bodden tours to do the driving (got the infamous Tex) and plan to visit both West Bay Beach and the West End Village, drive around the island a bit, let him pick a good restaurant and check out Penelope's Island Emporium. I also plan to buy our snorkeling equipment :o. Thanks again!

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful day !!!!! Enjoy Roatan :)

• 1 month later...

Texan, I know you were helping me out in the other thread of Roatan about Victor Bodden, and I have a question about snorkeling :) I want our tour guide from VB to take us to a great snorkeling spot that we can go in right from the beach. What is your recommendation? Thank you!!!

Texan, I know you were helping me out in the other thread of Roatan about Victor Bodden, and I have a question about snorkeling :) I want our tour guide from VB to take us to a great snorkeling spot that we can go in right from the beach. What is your recommendation? Thank you!!!

You really can't beat West Bay Beach. If you want to see some neat pics of the area click on the link below. Then go to the section marked West Bay Beach. Then go to the section marked Resort and there is an extremely awesome AERIAL pic of the reef/beach that you will not believe. However, it is real and it is that close to the shore. We snorkeled this whole area the day we arrived for our one week stay this summer. We mostly dove after that.

http://www.infinitybay.com/photogallery.html

There are lots of resorts/restaurants/bars etc all along West Bay Beach which is approximately one mile long. The entire beach is open to the public but you must use a public access OR buy a day pass from one of the resorts. Infinity Bay has them but do not book ahead and only so many are given out each day. It is a private condo resort but if you can get one from them it would be my first choice......beautiful resort, gorgeous infinity pool, great food at the palapa bar/restaurant. You can eat at the restaurant even without a day pass other wise the guards will not let you on the property. But again, the beach in front is public - open to all. Right next door to Bananarama is a beach access...... most taxis will let you off there. Tabayana also has day passes but I wasn't impressed with their amenities. It is next door to Infinity Bay.

Anyway, to sum it up - go to West Bay Beach and head down to the end near Infinity Bay/Tabayana. Depending on how many ships in port the beach could be a bit busy but you won't be sorry with the beach/reef.

Have fun !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up our 5th trip to Roatan and we've mostly stayed at Mayan Princess, but want to snorkel this time up at Tab.

What I would like info on is the bus system. We've been tempted to try to take the bus $3 pp over to West Bay but been in such a hurry to get over there we always take a taxi. Has anyone ridden the local bus...I think I read you have to walk up the road to the right past the cruise terminal to catch it and it takes a while to make all the stops and then up over the mountains. But I think it would be fun to do. Thanks if anyonehas any info on it.

Disregard, I found the Bus System thread.

Can't wait to catch the bus now. We'll go on to IB and get the day pass. I've been looking at Infinity for years and never knew they had day passes:D

From what I understand Infinity has a limited number of day passes and there may be restrictions...might want to toss them a mail to find out. They are also the most expensive day pass on the beach. :)

To be clear; it is walk to the bus in Coxen Hole -> Bus to West End -> Water taxi to West Bay. The buses don't go as far as West Bay.

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks!

Yes, we are used to paying $10 at Mayan Princess but it may be worth it to have the inviting pool and since the kidney is right there! Even with the bus fee and water taxi fee we should at least break even. And the excitement of the bus lures us!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

Thanks!

Yes, we are used to paying $10 at Mayan Princess but it may be worth it to have the inviting pool and since the kidney is right there! Even with the bus fee and water taxi fee we should at least break even. And the excitement of the bus lures us!:D

Most wonderful, enjoy your visit.

12 of us took the Tabyana Beach Break Excursion and really enjoyed it. The sand was soft and the water was as clear as can be. The beach was fabulous and the snorkeling was amazing! We'd definitely do it again. I put together a little Youtube video of the beach and used our underwater digital camera to take some underwater videos and pictures while we were snorkeling. Though it might give some people a perspective of what it's like to snorkel there! I was happy to know that there were employees on kayaks around the area keeping an eye on the snorkelers and even feeding the fish so you could see big schools of fish while snorkeling the area.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Donna!.... you guys will love WestBay Beach, the snorking is awesome right off the beach. Brenda and I were there in May and had a great time at Mayam Princess.... see ya later

Steve

Hey Steve! OMG y'all have been cruising a lot! I'm so jealous! Have you been on any more cabin crawls that were as fun as ours? Looks like y'all are hitting the seas again this month. Lucky guys!

Did y'all do the day pass at Mayan Princess? How much was it and what did it include? Was transportation included, or how did y'all get there? Did you take the water taxi over to West End? If you did, was it worth the time?

Thanks for the info. Tell Brenda that Rick and Donna say "HEY!" Have a great Thanksgiving cruise!

Donna

Hey Steve! OMG y'all have been cruising a lot! I'm so jealous! Have you been on any more cabin crawls that were as fun as ours? Looks like y'all are hitting the seas again this month. Lucky guys!

Did y'all do the day pass at Mayan Princess? How much was it and what did it include? Was transportation included, or how did y'all get there? Did you take the water taxi over to West End? If you did, was it worth the time?

Thanks for the info. Tell Brenda that Rick and Donna say "HEY!" Have a great Thanksgiving cruise!

Donna

Donna.... Mayan princess was $10.00 PP and included use of the gorgeous pool, bathrooms & beachchairs....the food we ordered was fantastic and we had a great time.... as far as transportation we took a Private van from the port because we had 8 people and it was $25 pp round trip and our guide stayed on the beach with us all day and watched our belongings while we walked down the beach to snorkel & swim. Yes we have been cruising alot this year and are leaving next weekend again... Think we are going to try Banarama this time since it is slightly closer to the good snorkeling and they have good reviews as well....We did a crawl in May but the turn out was not the same...people seemed more stiff & we didnt really meet any new friends like we did on the Conquest... We still talk to Corliss & David and they just asked us a few weeks ago to book a cruise with them next year.... I think it would be nice but have to see if we can swing it...Hope you guys stay in touch.... maybe we will all be on another cruise together someday ....I still crack up at the Video of you guys and Clyde Dancing on the stage! TTY soon

Steve

• 1 month later...
Great thread re: snorkeling in Roatan on West Bay beach! The youtube video that was posted - was that taken in front of Tabyana Resort? Was it anywhere near the famous "kidney" which is located in front of Infinity Bay resort?

Tabyana is right next door to Infinity Bay so, yes it is.

I read most of this thread and couldnt discern if the East side accessed by boat, or the West Bay accessed by shore is better for snorkeling. I know weather will effect both, but in general is one better than the other, if so- why?

WOW....this thread is awesome thanks all to have contributed some priceless information:D

Will be cruising to Roatan end of June and I CANNOT wait to go the West Bay to snorkel.

Few questions....

I have a 10 yr old who would like a pool and a mom who would like shade....also that bouncy thing in water looks awesome so.

Is there a pool at Tabyana beach?

Looks like plenty of shade....pics at Infinity Bay didn't look like too much shade? If I do Day pass at Infinity....Is there lots of places in the shade?

Also...does anyone have access to bouncy thing and slide in water? If so does anyone know how much?

Also....always terrified of missing my ship....How long is the ride to Mahogony Bay and Coxen hole in case we go there....figure best and worst case scenerio...traffic?

Lastly.....If I rent a private guide for the day??? Do they just wait outside till I am done with my hours at the beach? How does that work? With maybe a short tour of Island on way back to ship? Also....any chance they Will they come in the water snorkeling??? For an extra fee??. I am real nervous of getting caught in a maze....especially with my daughter.

Kerri

whizkidcat ~ Contact Mayan Princess through their web site.

xrxpx ~ Tis a wacky thing, the island doesn't really sit in east/west or north south lines... people call sides of the island North and South, they call ends of the island east and west...though that only works for about half way down. Anywho... In general the north side (West Bay) is bathtub smooth due to the south side being windward. If there is a northern storm coming in I have seen the waves in West Bay get over 6ft, this means the other side of the island is calm.

luv2gonow ~ There is no pool at Tabyana. There is one at both Mayan Princess and Infinity.

The amount of shade with depend on how many guests and other folks are around.. it will also depend on what time you get to the beach, I understand Infinity is a 1st come 1st sold a day pass kinda place.

The bouncy is public, anyone can play for a fee, the little booth is on the beach directly in front of it.

Mahogany Bay it is usually a healthy 45 mins. Coxen Hole 20/30min. Hard to say what worse case would be, I mean if there is a accident of some sort or something is up and the cops place check points..

I have never heard of anyone having a land guide get in the water.. you would have to ask the tour company. I have heard people on West Bay beach renting snorkel gear hire a guide for the water. I doubt you would have to rent if you offer money for a water guide.

I understand the land guides stay in the area..many people have said the land guide looked after their stuff while they were playing in the water.

As far as tour on the way back.. ask the tour company. I am sure it is doable..depending in what you want.

Truly, I think you best bet is to contact a few tour companies and ask them some of these questions.