Itinerary Change for NCL Gem, 8/21 Sailing

keichman

Per home page of CC:

Cruise Ship Itinerary Changes

Norwegian Cruise Line

star2.bmpNorwegian Gem, which left Sunday from New York for a week-long Bermuda cruise, arrived in King's Wharf, Bermuda Wednesday morning. The ship will leave Thursday at 6 p.m., a day earlier than planned, to avoid the path of Irene. Norwegian Gem will arrive in New York on Sunday, August 28 as scheduled.

Per home page of CC:

Cruise Ship Itinerary Changes

Norwegian Cruise Line

star2.bmpNorwegian Gem, which left Sunday from New York for a week-long Bermuda cruise, arrived in King's Wharf, Bermuda Wednesday morning. The ship will leave Thursday at 6 p.m., a day earlier than planned, to avoid the path of Irene. Norwegian Gem will arrive in New York on Sunday, August 28 as scheduled.

Something does not make sense. Why would the ship leave a day early only to get into NYC on the original return day? At the moment the storm is suppose to be a CAT 2 Sunday PM, not a good day to arrive in port

High surf happens a couple or so days before a hurricane reaches the area so that's why captain wants Gem to leave Bermuda early to reach close to New York to avoid rough seas. I reckon the Gem will hang close to the US coast before it's time to sail into New York.

High surf happens a couple or so days before a hurricane reaches the area so that's why captain wants Gem to leave Bermuda early to reach close to New York to avoid rough seas. I reckon the Gem will hang close to the US coast before it's time to sail into New York.

I would think it would make more sense to arrive a day early. But what do I know

The part that confuses me about this....isn't it more dangerous to have a ship in port during a major hurricane? It seems that there is much higher possibility of damage to the ship, the dock, or both. :confused:

I'm suppose to leave on the Gem on Sunday (the 28th). I wonder what is in store for us? Flying into Newark on Friday from Northern Calif. I'm use to earthquakes and floods, but I have never witnessed or been in a Hurricane before. Sure hope we can jump on the ship on Sunday and high tail it out of there. I'm a little nervous that our flight will get canceled along with the cruise. I haven't cruised in 25 years and was really looking forward to this cruise. What can you do, mother nature has her own plans and we have no control over her!

No matter what happens I'm a believer in you make your vacation what you want it to be. I plan on having a great time no matter what!!! :-)

The part that confuses me about this....isn't it more dangerous to have a ship in port during a major hurricane? It seems that there is much higher possibility of damage to the ship, the dock, or both. :confused:

Rogue waves or very high strong winds make rough seas, which makes people sick. Also, depending on the force of the wave or wind it can also make the ship list very badly which can capsize the vessel.

The ship is safer at sea than at dock, but in this case, they can change their itinerary as they see the need to do so. This may be just a preliminary plan -- subject to change.

NCL has updated their weather alert on the website to show the plans for all their ships in the area of the hurricane.

I'm suppose to leave on the Gem on Sunday (the 28th). I wonder what is in store for us? Flying into Newark on Friday from Northern Calif. I'm use to earthquakes and floods, but I have never witnessed or been in a Hurricane before. Sure hope we can jump on the ship on Sunday and high tail it out of there. I'm a little nervous that our flight will get canceled along with the cruise. I haven't cruised in 25 years and was really looking forward to this cruise. What can you do, mother nature has her own plans and we have no control over her!

No matter what happens I'm a believer in you make your vacation what you want it to be. I plan on having a great time no matter what!!! :-)

Flying in two days ahead will probably be fine. Have my fingers crossed for you and everyone flying in for our cruise. Hope you will be accessing the internet after you arrive to get the NCL updates just in case we are leaving a little early.

Something does not make sense. Why would the ship leave a day early only to get into NYC on the original return day? At the moment the storm is suppose to be a CAT 2 Sunday PM, not a good day to arrive in port

I agree- what was their thinking??? If anything I'd think they would delay its return so the storm would be past NYC.

Kathy

changes ports and times DURING the cruise is not that difficult.

Changing the arrival or departure is a major deal. Just ask the people with flights and other plans. And those with, or without hotel rooms, etc.

The Sunday thing is per TODAY's plan. It could change. If I was one of those people, I would surely travel with cell phones at the very least. A smartphone and/or computer is even better. Plan on the UNEXPECTED.

It is gonna be a rough weekend for all travelers. Cruisers even more so.

Boy what a no-win situation all around it could be.

If they come in a day early you've got people with scheduled flights for Sunday that most likely will never be able to fly in Saturday. THEN-- there's a good chance all the area airports are going to shut down by mid-Saturday.

Folks with land transportation have similar messes - trying to reschedule a car, bus, etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone concerned - people on cruises, those about to cruise and those of us in the path of this thing:mad:

Hope all goes well for those of you going on the Gem Sunday

Kathy

You should be fine flying on Friday - hubby is flying in Friday as well and I expect no problems at all (other than the usual EWR delays lol). This hurricane should be interesting - we live on the beach in Jersey, we're prepared except I am worried about one single tree that I haven't trimmed down yet (my bad). Expect a lot of wind and sideways rain, but NYC proper is well prepared. If you plan on visiting the Empire State Building, get it in as early as possible before the winds start. If you are staying in a highrise hotel, you might get a little wind sway, but you will likely be checked out before that starts. Be prepared to get to the dock early just in case they "rush you out".. Definitely call NCL and confirm that they have your cell phone numbers for any last minute changes (and check your online check-in to make sure it reflects these numbers as well)!

No big worries about the hurricane - the worst things to look out for are floods and flying projectiles (stay off the streets in NYC if you get stuck there, have a "movie day" in your hotel). I lived in CA for several of the bigger quakes and they were waaay scarier. This hurricane looks like it will follow a similar track as Belle in '76, and while Belle was slightly less powerful, it was a piece of cake here.

Robin

I agree- what was their thinking??? If anything I'd think they would delay its return so the storm would be past NYC.Kathy

What concerns me most is that this storm isn't unforeseen. The track has been about the same for a few days now. So, why would NCL post a message that contradicts all reason? Bermuda is over 600 miles from NYC but the GEM is leaving early from Bermuda to "miss the storm" and arrive in NYC the same day the hurricane is predicted there? I've seen disorganized swap meets better organized. What are they looking for? "NO REFUNDS - WEATHER RELATED? IMHO

What concerns me most is that this storm isn't unforeseen. The track has been about the same for a few days now. So, why would NCL post a message that contradicts all reason? Bermuda is over 600 miles from NYC but the GEM is leaving early from Bermuda to "miss the storm" and arrive in NYC the same day the hurricane is predicted there? I've seen disorganized swap meets better organized. What are they looking for? "NO REFUNDS - WEATHER RELATED? IMHO

my 2 cents...i think it was this past feb/march the Jewel arrived a day early to NYC because of a storm (?) and passengers were allowed to leave or stay, they probably didnt advertise they'd arrive early as to not disappoint those on board. maybe the Gem's arrival this sunday will actually arrive a day early and sit tight in port for the night, again allowing people to go or stay.

my thoughts go out to all in irene's way (and not just because i'm in her way too). fortunately i have a fond memory of 1985's Gloria, was on my birthday, school was cancelled! but i didnt have to worry about basement floods back then :mad:

Hurricane paths are notoriously unpredictable and the effects of these storms extend hundreds of miles out from their eye, so while the eye may still be hundreds of miles out from Bermuda and NYC, the effects will begin to be felt well before the eye approaches either location. The fact that the track has been the same for a few days now doesn't guarantee that it won't change dramatically at any time, especially as it gets into the cooler waters of the Atlantic Ocean and perhaps makes landfall at some location along the coast. Leaving Bermuda early may provide the Captain with more flexibility as he deals with sea conditions and any changes in the storm's path. We were on a ship in 2002 as it altered its course to avoid the worst effects of hurricane Gustave. Even then we encountered 60 to 70 foot swells and high winds for several hours but arrived at our destination in good shape and with no harm to the passengers. Another ship sailing a similar route arrived in its port with broken windows, broken dishes and glasses in the dining room, and some passengers with minor injuries. We were also in Florida a few years back when a hurricane crossed the Florida mainland went out to sea, stalled and then reversed course and recrossed Florida - so much for predicted storm tracks.

Archived