Pre cruise flight

divechick

We normal always fly in the day before the cruise however looking at air for our Feb cruise and saw non stop from LAX to SJU arriving at 920 am cruise doesn't depart until 6pm since it is a non stiop even in Feb thinking that we would be safe any feed back.

We normal always fly in the day before the cruise however looking at air for our Feb cruise and saw non stop from LAX to SJU arriving at 920 am cruise doesn't depart until 6pm since it is a non stiop even in Feb thinking that we would be safe any feed back.

Read all the threads on the Hurricane and although you will not hit a hurricane in Feb, it is a good learning lesson. I never go on the day of the cruise just in case of a problem and it makes the first day much more relaxing.

Do you really want to fly all night and arrive in San Juan jet lagged and tired and begin your cruise that way? Or would you rather have a day to catch up and relax in beautiful San Juan enjoying a walk around town and a nice mojito before a tasty dinner?

And where does that flight originate from? If there are delays elsewhere across the country can it get delayed or cancelled?

My husband was travelling this summer and had flight delays from rain. I would not take the chance, but I am not a risk takeer in life. I do not handle things well that go wrong, so we fly in the day before! Good luck in your decision!

You will PROBABLY get there just fine, but you will be exhausted.

You are traveling pretty far and are taking a risk.

Don't take known risks with your precious vacation plans!

Arrive one day early, and relax! :)

I wouldn't do it -- If this is your first departure from San Juan, there is a lot to see and well worth it to get there a day early.

On our first San Juan trip we did a red-eye and arrived the morning of departure. - DW dragged my sleepy butt all over old San Juan. The forts, cobblestone streets and architecture were all beautiful. It turned out to be a great deal of effort that was unnecessary. We spent three days docked in San Juan and then they flew us home .. the ship was broken and they were unable to repair it in time for even an abbreviated cruise. Regency took good care of us though. We saw a lot of San Juan! :)

The plane could have mechanical difficulties that would delay you. I agree with others, arrive the day before and walk around lovely San Juan and enjoy yourselves thinking of going on a cruise the next day.

We ALWAYS fly at least a day early; especially when cruising in the winter. It just takes one weather event to cause a cascading airline problem throughout the east coast. We're from Michigan and many times we would have caught some time of delay by traveling on embarkation day. Plus, it gets us 'warmed up' for the cruise. It's easier to cancel a nights motel room and switch flights than try to catch up to the ship. ;)

We have done ALOT of flying in the last 15 years...... and have heard every excuse for a delayed flight you can imagine......

no plane

no crew

bad weather here

bad weather there

storm in the flight path

problem with plane..........

Fly in a day early, and if there are problems you know you will at least arrive in time to make the cruise.....

and, San Juan is one of our favorite places...... enjoy !

If you are checking luggage, I would definitely fly a day early. In case the airline loses your bags, you still have a chance to for the airline to deliver them to you before your cruise leaves the next day. And if they don't find your bags, you have a chance at picking up replacements at more reasonable prices than what you find on board.

Thanks every one. We just booked our flights flying in a day early. We actually found a great deal and decided to fly to MN to visit the in-laws for a few days then flying to San Juan early Fri morning . Most of had a lapse there we always fly in early but the thought of non stop was tempting. I knew I could could count on Cc members to straighten me out

Archived