Cruise Insurance and Irene

cruisingberger

After reading about RCCL leving over 100 passengers in San Juan because they had to leave early to avoid Irene, my DH wanted to know if the cruise insurance would cover a fight to the next port to catch up to the cruise? I think that it would but really didn't know for sure. I know that someone here must know. What would the cruise insurance cover in that situation?

After reading about RCCL leving over 100 passengers in San Juan because they had to leave early to avoid Irene, my DH wanted to know if the cruise insurance would cover a fight to the next port to catch up to the cruise? I think that it would but really didn't know for sure. I know that someone here must know. What would the cruise insurance cover in that situation?

Really can't answer that question without being able to see the terms that are spelled out in the actual policy.

Without a policy, any answer would be a total guess.

Along with what Sea Shark said...

Every company, and even policies within that company vary. Do not be a "sheepling", and figure you know the answer based on what your Cousin Eddy said happened to them.

With that said... good luck.

Makes one think about those people left ashore, with or without insurance. I wonder how many of them were traveling without credit cards. Foolish as that seems to some of us, many people do not carry them. To me, that is the cheapest insurance around.

Along with what Sea Shark said...

Every company, and even policies within that company vary. Do not be a "sheepling", and figure you know the answer based on what your Cousin Eddy said happened to them.

With that said... good luck.

Makes one think about those people left ashore, with or without insurance. I wonder how many of them were traveling without credit cards. Foolish as that seems to some of us, many people do not carry them. To me, that is the cheapest insurance around.

Not to correct you, but to expand the point...

It seems that some people think that the passengers left in San Juan were stranded during a port visit. This is NOT the case here. These people were to EMBARK in San Juan...none of them had yet to board the ship. They had all of their luggage and other belongings with them.

But my Uncle George said his best friend Frank said...;)

As for the credit card, there are reasons that some can't get one, so not really foolish, sometimes unfortunate.

Although not truly answerable for the reasons stated above, I think it was a very valid question.

The one thing I have learned with reading CC is to know more about the insurance you have and/or are getting and what exactly it covers. I've always travelled with the basic coverage I had and never worried much about it. For my next cruise I intend to look further into what exactly it has so I can top it up accordingly.

The unfortunate part is, insurance policies read a lot like contracts and you really have to trust the one you are buying it from to give you all the ins and outs if you don't understand exactly what you are getting due to some of the garbily goop they put in them. Which will usually mean you will probably pay a little more because you can't just search the cheapest for what you want.

There is a good starting point here on CC regarding travel insurance

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=274

Not to correct you, but to expand the point...

It seems that some people think that the passengers left in San Juan were stranded during a port visit. This is NOT the case here. These people were to EMBARK in San Juan...none of them had yet to board the ship. They had all of their luggage and other belongings with them.

I was actually wondering this myself. I wasn't sure if they were in port for the day or it was actually the start of a cruise. I just can't imagine going off at a port and coming back to find the ship had left. :eek:

I was actually wondering this myself. I wasn't sure if they were in port for the day or it was actually the start of a cruise. I just can't imagine going off at a port and coming back to find the ship had left. :eek:

Actually, the passengers would have been better off it it was a port visit.

If a ship leaves a port visit early because of weather, the cruise line is obligated to take care of all expenses/ arrangements for all guests left behind. When, as in this instance, it is the embarkation port, the only people the cruise line HAS to take care of are those who purchased air through the cruise line.

Not all insurance policies cover weather related expenses so that's another thing to explore before purchasing.

Even the "cancel for any reason" coverage wouldn't have helped those stranded by Irene because you have to cancel prior to 2 days before the trip.

On another note, I just called one of the online insurance brokers. I wanted to know if I would be covered if an elderly, ill parent passed away and I had to cancel. The answer was basically "no" unless the parent had been well enough that their doctor would have okayed they to take the same trip and participate in all activities. That "participate in all activities" clause means to me that the company has an out to deny coverage in nearly every case.

Insurance is great but you really have to do your research to get what you think you're getting.

If a ship leaves a port visit early because of weather, the cruise line is obligated to take care of all expenses/ arrangements for all guests left behind. When, as in this instance, it is the embarkation port, the only people the cruise line HAS to take care of are those who purchased air through the cruise line.

Wow, that's good to know I guess (since we are cruising shortly and it is hurricane season).

Not all insurance policies cover weather related expenses so that's another thing to explore before purchasing.

Even the "cancel for any reason" coverage wouldn't have helped those stranded by Irene because you have to cancel prior to 2 days before the trip.

On another note, I just called one of the online insurance brokers. I wanted to know if I would be covered if an elderly, ill parent passed away and I had to cancel. The answer was basically "no" unless the parent had been well enough that their doctor would have okayed they to take the same trip and participate in all activities. That "participate in all activities" clause means to me that the company has an out to deny coverage in nearly every case.

Insurance is great but you really have to do your research to get what you think you're getting.

I'm am going to have to read my policy a little better to see what "clause" they might have in theirs. I did go with a company that was highly recommend on this board. Hopefully I chose a good one.

Having spent a few decades in the insurance industry, having also owned a travel agency, and having purchased numerous trip cancellation policies for my personal travel...and having received reimbursement from a couple of them for trips that had to be cancelled due to illness of an elderly parent, without even reading the policy in question I believe it's likely you got a seriously incorrect answer.

The type of "participate in all activities" clause being cited is in the typical policy applicable only to the insureds who are traveling. You have to be capable of taking your cruise or other trip at the time you purchase the insurance. It does not apply to other family members who are not traveling and whose death or illness cause you to cancel your trip.

I'm looking at our coverage on line on the TA's website. We were given "free" travel insurance with the booking, but when I looked at the $$ coverages I upgraded all of us for an extra charge of $29. I did so mostly because of the increase in coverages for being airlifted, etc., more medical reasons than hurricanes, etc.

I do not see anything in this 1 page of coverages that states coverage of your cruise in full if you are left behind

Trip Cancellation Benefits

(for each insured passenger)

insurance plan pays 100% of cruise-

line penalty charges (up to the full cost of

the cruise with a maximum of $10,000 per

person) if the client cancels for a covered

reason (e.g., serious illness or injury,

death in family, etc.).

Nothing there about being stranded by "other" circumstances.

Travel Delay Benefits

Insurance plan reimburses up to $150 per

person per day ($500 per person

maximum per cruise) for accommodations

if departure is delayed more than 6 hours

for a covered reason.

And this is not covered at all in the basic plan

Insurance plan reimburses up to $500 per

person travel expenses to “catch-up” to the

cruise if departure is missed due to an

airline delay due to bad weather or

accident en route to the pier.

Now this might have helped those stranded in PR to get to the ship at its next port, but it still seems to say they'll cover if you PERSONALLY got delayed by weather EN ROUTE, not they left because of the weather. This, as well, is only covered by the "upgraded" policy

The standard plan had no coverages for "accidental death" like the upgraded policy.

By upgrading the emergency medical coverage went from $5,000 to $15,000 and emergency medical transportation went from $10,000 to $100,00.

Well worth $29.

You definitely have to read the fine print. Any specific questions I'd be asking the insurance company directly about.

Kathy

Missed Connection

What company/policy was it that said that you could not cancel if an elderly parent passed away? I just had this very situation in April and we were able to cancel and receive a full refund when my mother passed the day before our departure. I purchased through the cruise line as tey were having a special.

I suggest you email your questions so you'll get a written response for your records. If needed, a written confirmation of your understanding is MUCH better than a "he said she said" I was covered but I can't prove I even talked about the issue.

If the answer is yes, you'll be covered in your questioned situation, also insist for a reference to the specific section &/or wording in the policy that confirms that yes coverage. That way you can read the section yourself.

I've been referred to sections that no way could be interpreted as covering my questioned situation. I can then insist on a better reference. If there isn't one and I really think there's a good chance I'd need the questioned coverage, I can decide to risk coverage or look elsewhere.

Remember the phone/email rep you'll talk to or email with is not the lawyer(s) who wrote the policy.

What company/policy was it that said that you could not cancel if an elderly parent passed away? I just had this very situation in April and we were able to cancel and receive a full refund when my mother passed the day before our departure. I purchased through the cruise line as tey were having a special.

I had called tripinsurancestore.com. We were discussing Travel Safe Vacation Classic specifically but all of them generally. I re-asked my question several different ways because her answer just didn't make sense to me. If she's wrong she just cost her company $200 because I decided not to buy from them.

So I'm looking at my insurance policy and mine says under travel delay: $750pp after 5 hour delay (which I assume this is before boarding the ship.

Then it says: Missed connection: $250pp. Covered after 3 hour delay. What does that mean?

I see a missed connection as you missed the ship. But what is the 3 hour "delay" mean?? I'm confused.

Also, I couldn't find this thread at the time I was posting another policy question...if anyone could help me on it, it's located: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30431815#post30431815

The BEST thing you can do is call the insurance provider and ask these questions of them.;)

I got caught up in Irene and was almost stranded in NYC. However, ALL of us were insured up the ying yang. I will NEVER travel without insurance (especially after getting stranded in England for 8 days last year). I got reimbursed a hefty sum. I would have gotten nothing if I hadn't have had insurance.

Imagine 8 days of hotel, food, transportation, phone, intenet...

Archived