Do you think NCL owes them anything?

Cruiser303!

No, OBC is not cash in its pure form. But, OBC does reduce profit, so that makes it cash of a different form.

But it's real cost to NCL is significantly less than the same amount of cash. Use a $50 OBC for a dinner for two in Cagney's that has an actual cost to NCL of, say, $25, and that $50 OBC has a real cash cost to NCL of only $25...the amount of the lost profit, whereas a $50 refund has a real cash cost to NCL of $50.

I also believe that giving OBCs creates a psychological impetus to spend more...a sort of "money burning a hole in your pocket" effect. You have the OBC, you have to spend it, and unless you're disciplined you might spend more than you otherwise would have. It's sort of a small scale version of why some lottery winners go broke.

That's why cruise line often use OBCs rather than fare reductions to attract bookings on cruise that aren't selling well.

Maybe a look at the bigger picture is in order here.

An agent berating a cruise line for being 40 minutes late posting information doesn't bode well for future business with that cruise line.

I really believe that looking at the big picture means not focusing on 40 minutes.

It's about coming to a resolution that is reasonable and not based on a boiler plate consumer contract.

Also I was responding to another post that was abusive to TAs. I am not in anyway connected to this industry.

It is clearly under siege. TAs have my sympathy. As I stated, fighting for your clients doesn't make you a bad agent.

I'm kinda surprised that many don't feel anything should be given as compensation. No, a hurricane is not NCL's fault, but a 6 night cruise should indeed cost less than a 7 night cruise so I would expect something.

Will the people currently on board getting an extra night have to pay extra for their dsc? I would absolutely not pay 7 nights of service charge for a 6 night cruise.

You're kidding, right ?

If your 7 night gets cut short, you want reimbursement but if your 6 day turns into a 7 day you won't pay $12.00 ? :eek:

I know this is a cruise message board, but am I the only one a little disgusted by this conversation? It's highly likely that hundreds, maybe thousands of people will have to deal with more then a missed port over the weekend. Seems to me the ammount of obc we "deserve" for the inconvience of having a cruise delayed is a little insensitive under the circumstances.

I agree 100 %.

Which ship had the 1 day short - Gem, Jewel or Sky?

How much time was really lost?

My sister is leaving on the Jewel this morning, she is pretty happy cause she gets 3 hours extra vacay time due to the early embarkment :)

But, the folks on the Jewel that just got off, what did they lose? Did they still have last nights events? Or did they have to get off the ship last night? From what I read, it sounded like they had to get off the boat at 6am, which is early (obviously).

From the reports, it sounds like Gem got an extra day unless I am not reading them correctly.

IMO, whoever got the trip should get cut short, should get OBC for their next cruise.. Everyone wants to go on another cruise anyway & then NCL gets you back. Or, maybe they can make it a fun reimbursement & give people a choice (go freestyle) maybe a spa treatment, a night at cagneys or the OBC. that would work for me (but i'm easygoing :)

-Stacey

Pretty spot on as to what happened. One Gem cruise got an extra day, one Gem cruise got another. How about we charge the former for an extra day ?

Is there anyone posting on this thread who is actually booked on the cruise in question?

Yeah those people should be getting their butts to the NYC port to board the Gem this very second. :D;)

And if they are still arguing with us instead of enjoying every second of their already shortened cruise, then no OBC in the world is going to make them feel better. :p

You obviously didn't read the HIGHLIGHTED clauses 10 & 14 in your contract, which you specifically agreed to, when you completed your registration. You were unable to sail without specifically reading these clauses, and your attention was drawn to them in RED:

"The passengers’ attention is specifically directed to Paragraphs 10 & 14 of the Terms and Conditions of the Guest Contract. These paragraphs and all of the other Terms and Conditions of this Contract affect important legal rights, and the passenger is advised to read them. "

10. [snip].... " shall be referred to and resolved exclusively by binding arbitration pursuant to the United Nations Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (New York 1958), 21 U.S.T. 2517, 330 U.N.T.S. 3, 1970 U.S.T. LEXIS 115, 9 U.S.C. §§ 202-208 ("the Convention") and the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. §§ 1, et seq., ("FAA") solely in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of any other forum."

(red & bold in section 10 are my emphasis)

Not to hijack this thread (God forbid), but I love your signature :D

I have been on 2 other cruises that weren't even worth mentioning, they were so long ago and so short. I do know that they all plug their lines as much as possible, but it didn't take years of cruising experience to learn, just from reading cruise critic (and other cruise) boards, that NCL is big on pushing. I still went on the line knowing this ahead of time, and it didn't bother me personally, but if you research it a little they really are more into making the big bucks than some other lines.

Horseradish.

A psychology major would have a field day!:D

I often say that about CC in general...it would be a GREAT study....sometimes I swear the trolls are really just psych majors tossing out stuff and watching us like lab rats to see how we respond

LOL!!!

Amazing how many people now are posting their very first post to complain....before they even find out what will happen once they board. I hope they were at least lurking and know something about cruising. Quoting reporters is almost as bad as quoting politicians. We all know they always check their information and never finish sentences for anybody.:rolleyes:

I really think NCL will be giving you something for your troubles but I'm beginning to think they are crazy to even bother.:(

Love your posts, Peg :)

I often say that about CC in general...it would be a GREAT study....sometimes I swear the trolls are really just psych majors tossing out stuff and watching us like lab rats to see how we respond

LOL!!!

I can see it all now "Students, today in class we are studying the release of cortisol and the raise of blood pressure on our test subjects - now go post a thread on babies who wear shorts while smoking in the hot tub" :D

Is NCL obligated to offer anything? Nope.

Should NCL offer something? Absolutely. OBC or something, they always give some sort of OBC if they miss a port, I don;t see why they wouldn't treat this as severe or if not more severe.

No they don't always. I have personally missed three ports on NCL and one on RCL and have never received an OBC. I have received a refund of Port Fees & Taxes several times but never any OBC as compensation for missing a port. There have been drink specials and an open bar once or twice but, I repeat, never an OBC as compensation for a missed port.

No they don't always. I have personally missed three ports on NCL and one on RCL and have never received an OBC. I have received a refund of Port Fees & Taxes several times but never any OBC as compensation for missing a port. There have been drink specials and an open bar once or twice but, I repeat, never an OBC as compensation for a missed port.

Ok, my point was they still compensated you somehow. I was trying to make the point that the people sailing today on the Gem will get some sort of compensation. Some people seem to think they wont.

Does NCL legally have to? No.

Would it be wise to refund 1/7 of the cost? YES! If anything, to avoid the mutiny and protest in the atrium and save some staff sanity.

BINGO

You just won the prize for most respectful answer to this endless thread.

There is no legal obligation to do anything but you are correct, the passengers will be upset and take it out on the staff with an endless line of people removing the auto gratuity, etc. Save the madness. But I doubt they will so so because NCL will lose money on the cruise.

I agree 100 %.

Following that line of thinking a little further, Cruise Critic, most of the Internet, most television shows,, almost all movies and every other form of entertainment should be shut down because we have brave members of our armed forces putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan. Only grim-faced reporters should be allowed on television.

I was posting on this thread while being in Irene's line of fire, including just before and after having to take cover during a half hour tornado warning.

Entertainment is a necessary form of stress relief. Major League Baseball resumed in NY City only a short time after the tragic 9/11 terrorist attacks, and believe me, it was welcomed by most and did nothing to detract from the gravity of the situation.

Didn't they give you your refund in the form of a credit to your onboard account? :confused:

Didn't they give you your refund in the form of a credit to your onboard account? :confused:

Allow me to chime in and confirm what others have said. We've missed a number of ports due to weather conditions on NCL and other cruise lines and have never received an OBC other than a small amount for port taxes (and not even that in all cases). We also had an open bar for an hour or two on one cruise, but that was it.

As the OP of this thread...I have to say I am sorry that I even started it. I just checked out CCL board and this thread was noted. WOW! Lots of bitter remarks going on over there too amongst other things. People calling eachother stupid for sailing during hurricane season - some kidding - some not. :eek::eek::eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1472223

If NCL is keeping tabs on these threads...please let us know if a decision is made to do something for those GEM Pax on this week's sailing to Bermuda.

I think we should all stop now. Thanks everyone and enjoy your future cruises whenever or wherever they may take you. ;)

Archived