Kids in CL?

By reading most of the posts on this subject it gives one insight on why this country (USA) is destined to fail. A perk goes from a perk to a right. Forbid anyone who tries to deny a "right" of access to the CL without children. As we now are burying the "Greatest Generation" we are now left with the "Greediest Generation". Gimmee..Gimmee...Gimmee...:eek::(

Just like parents with children should not feel like their children are entitled to use CL after 5, those without children should not feel entitled to have adult only CL after 5pm. It is up to RCCL to set the rules and if someone does not like them, that someone can exorcise the right not to attend CL after 5 pm. This is true for parties on both sides of the issue.

I've been following this thread for couple of days it appears to me that after the rule change those who don't want to be around children have the same attitude you described: "Give me adult only venue with free drinks".

Just like parents with children should not feel like their children are entitled to use CL after 5, those without children should not feel entitled to have adult only CL after 5pm. It is up to RCCL to set the rules and if someone does not like them, that someone can exorcise the right not to attend CL after 5 pm. This is true for parties on both sides of the issue.

I've been following this thread for couple of days it appears to me that after the rule change those who don't want to be around children have the same attitude you described: "Give me adult only venue with free drinks".

I agree with you, but please explain to me why it is wrong to expect an hour or so without kids? We don't get drunk, we don't act foolishly, but we do enjoy talking with adults during what we consider adult time. Guess we are wrong, huh?

Got ahold of my contact this afternoon and whoever posted that this change came about because Suite guests complained is right on.

This policy is being "tried"..if they encounter problems or get many complaints it may yet change again.

They have been inundated with emails about this, as well..more con than pro but are going to give it a try since they have implemented it.

I feel sorry for the Concierge..who will be in the middle, naturally, and they will get thrown under the bus no matter what they do. If they tick off a Suite guest who has the kiddies in the CL, his tip will suffer..and if he does nothing everyone else in the room will be miffed. Typical RCI. The Concierges are getting thrown under the bus just like the staff that used to have to be the ones telling pax to go change in order to enter the MDR. And the corporate "genius" that came up with this idea will be able to hide out in his/her office and let someone else take the heat.

Here's an idea. Maybe RC will be making some changes to their ships in the near future. Maybe eliminate their current CL and replace it with a couple rooms that generate cash flow (ie 2bd rm suite). Then, also at same time building a much bigger CL and also including a seperate room for D and above C/A members in places they feel are not utilized as much by passengers and would not be missed if used for private lounges. ..... No wait, they already have this being used in a working model, and the outcome I think is a success! I'd say, lets take the wait and see approach. Just my 2 cents...

The lounge isn't a right for anyone including suite guests, it is a perk for all who have access to it.

I feel sorry for the Concierge..who will be in the middle, naturally, and they will get thrown under the bus no matter what they do. If they tick off a Suite guest who has the kiddies in the CL, his tip will suffer..and if he does nothing everyone else in the room will be miffed. Typical RCI. The Concierges are getting thrown under the bus just like the staff that used to have to be the ones telling pax to go change in order to enter the MDR. And the corporate "genius" that came up with this idea will be able to hide out in his/her office and let someone else take the heat.

Well said

Here is the Facebook post from Royal Carribean.

Royal Caribbean International

Royal Caribbean International offers the Concierge Lounge as an exclusive benefit for our guests in Grand Suites or higher category staterooms, as well as Crown & Anchor Society’s Diamond Plus- and Pinnacle- level members.

It appears to apply to all guests that have access to the CL, not just suite guests. .

Wonder if it means the DL will allow kids too??As DP,I can go to either......so can my kid go??(this is rhetorical since my "kids" are grown anyway)OR will the DL remain kid free?

If some cruisers feel "It's my cruise and I'll wear what I want, where I want and when I want!" and choose to ignore the suggestions/guidelines/rules for the dining room and other venues, then what's the chance all cruisers will follow the suggestions/guidelines/rules for the CL? Especially since RCCL is known for not enforcing their own suggestions/guidelines/rules....

Wonder if it means the DL will allow kids too??As DP,I can go to either......so can my kid go??(this is rhetorical since my "kids" are grown anyway)OR will the DL remain kid free?

On our June Explorer cruise, kids were definitely allowed in the Diamond lounge 'event'. I questioned the bar servers (because there were several kids at the tables) and they told me that 'as long as the kids were Diamond' it was ok. Looks like only the parents have to be Diamond though.

My kids came in one night to see what was going on but they got bored and left. They didn't want the soda or the trail mix.

On our June Explorer cruise, kids were definitely allowed in the Diamond lounge 'event'. I questioned the bar servers (because there were several kids at the tables) and they told me that 'as long as the kids were Diamond' it was ok. Looks like only the parents have to be Diamond though.

My kids came in one night to see what was going on but they got bored and left. They didn't want the soda or the trail mix.

You're talking about the Diamond Event..I was asking about Diamond Lounges,like on the Freedom and Oasis classes..

Big spender,John....you drive a heard bargain..:p

Three years ago (or so) as a diamond member I was "asked" (kicked out) to leave the lounge because it was too small and only D+ and suite guests could stay. Now we are going to let kids in...goodbye RCCL, hello to Celebrity or Princess!

BILL

You're talking about the Diamond Event..I was asking about Diamond Lounges,like on the Freedom and Oasis classes..

Big spender,John....you drive a heard bargain..:p

oh ok. That's a good question. It should be the same, really, but who knows.

I agree with you, but please explain to me why it is wrong to expect an hour or so without kids? We don't get drunk, we don't act foolishly, but we do enjoy talking with adults during what we consider adult time. Guess we are wrong, huh?

I never said that it is wrong for you to want to have an hour without kids (so do I and many other parents). However it is always wrong for anyone to think that their rights should supersede others rights.

If all you wanted was adult time, I would be much more sympathetic (and I am sure RCCL would be more accommodating), but you want adult time with free drinks. As it stood before the rule change parents with young kids could not enjoy free drinks - the perk that RCCL gives to D+/P and suite guests - because the day care is not open during happy hour, so RCCL decided to let parents come with the kids. The perk was never adult time, the perk was always free drinks. There are other opportunities on a ship to have adult time, so if you want it you can have (just not with free drinks).

P.S. I am much more sympathetic to those who are afraid of unruly kids. Those kids and their parents should be removed from CL (and maybe not allowed to come back). If this policy is strictly enforced, these kinds of situations will be far and between. However, I see many posts when people don't want to be around kids because they are not adults. Do you have the right to want this kind of arrangement? Yes. Do you have the right to have it - not really (without incurring any additional costs - you can always charter a boat :)).

PPS. As evident by previous posts we have taken our kids to lounges and bars (on a ship) prior to dinner. I simply did not see how my kids imposed on other adults. They were sitting by our side, having a drink (no alcohol) and either being quiet or talking to us.

. As it stood before the rule change parents with young kids could not enjoy free drinks - the perk that RCCL gives to D+/P and suite guests - because the day care is not open during happy hour, so RCCL decided to let parents come with the kids..

I thought Adventure Ocean opened up at 7pm??:confused:

I certainly don't love the idea of children in the CL or Diamond Lounge at night. My Mom and I cruised together I was Diamond Plus she was Diamond and they won't let her join me in the CL lounge but they will let children.

I believe another reason for allowing the children in the lounge is lack of babysitters on board. During our Liberty cruise a number of passengers were complaining to the conceirge that they couldn't get a babysitter and asked if they could bring the kid in the lounge.

All I know is, we never cruise for more than a couple of days as soon as school gets out to when school returns or during spring break.

If all you wanted was adult time, I would be much more sympathetic (and I am sure RCCL would be more accommodating), but you want adult time with free drinks. As it stood before the rule change parents with young kids could not enjoy free drinks - the perk that RCCL gives to D+/P and suite guests - because the day care is not open during happy hour, so RCCL decided to let parents come with the kids. The perk was never adult time, the perk was always free drinks. There are other opportunities on a ship to have adult time, so if you want it you can have (just not with free drinks).

If the lack of the kids area being open during the 'free' drink time....MAYBE RCL should just keep the kids are open! Wouldn't that make everyone happy????

I just got a message on my I Phone from RCCL with regard to my inquiry on FB. They thanked me for reaching out to them:eek: and provided a link to the FB page where they laid out the new policy which is as we expected. Sorry I'm not techie enought to provide the link:o

haha...i didn't get a call..and i posted on their FB page too...we will see....last time i posted an issue there, they did call me...

If the parents are Diamond, then by the family policy they have, the kids are diamond as well. They match whatever their parents policy is.

I didn't even realize the Explorer allowed kids in, we were on there the first week of August and I didn't go to the event as my daughter was with us. I'm in the camp it's nicer that it remain a kids-free venue anyway, so I wouldn't have gone. However, I have to admit if I show up at the place and other people's kids are in there, I might think of bringing her with my wife (who otherwise would be with her)

Archived