Kids in CL?

The Diamonds were just as pissed when they got kicked out of the CL and the company still went on strong.

I'm just saying that constant complaining could possibly push him to make even more changes many will not be happy about.

You know, at this point I really don't care if he gets more t'd off and cancels everything. When we were diamond, he kicked us out, he took all ships away from the west coast, now he does this. I only have two more cruises booked with Royal and it's way past final payment. So, for the next two weeks, I have to choose to put up with kids or not use the lounge. I used to never book ANYTHING except Royal, now all the rest of my cruises are on other lines. Thanks Adam!

P.S. I sold my RCL stock last week and bought CCL. It gives a dividend and OBC.

You know, at this point I really don't care if he gets more t'd off and cancels everything. When we were diamond, he kicked us out, he took all ships away from the west coast, now he does this. I only have two more cruises booked with Royal and it's way past final payment. So, for the next two weeks, I have to choose to put up with kids or not use the lounge. I used to never book ANYTHING except Royal, now all the rest of my cruises are on other lines. Thanks Adam!

P.S. I sold my RCL stock last week and bought CCL. It gives a dividend and OBC.

In total agreement, RCI used to be our one first choice for cruises, but there is so much out that offers better unique itinerarys and better suite perks, we are now more interested in trying different things. I no longer see "access to the CL" as a perk if they continue to allow children.

In total agreement, RCI used to be our one first choice for cruises, but there is so much out that offers better unique itinerarys and better suite perks, we are now more interested in trying different things. I no longer see "access to the CL" as a perk if they continue to allow children.

.......note to Adam,

The plan is working perfectly.

Stay the course on "Lounge Air out".

Grateful Suite Guests.....

HAHAHAHA alright now I have to laugh. I posted a comment to AG's blog at 11:40am when it first appeared. I bet you can guess it wasn't agreeing with his latest decision. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the 3 comments they have chosen, so far, are all patting him on the back for making the right decision. Wonder how long it took to get those comments. Holy moderated! Was he afraid of hearing from RCI cruisers? :eek:

Feel free to comment, see if anyone gets on who doesn't agree with him. That's what I want - people who walk around always agreeing with me. :D I wonder if I can buy people to do that.

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=4174

Michele...they posted your comment, probably about 11 PM Tuesday...there are now say 20 some odd posts...not all are pats on the back!

There have often been comments about how this or that cruiser was leaving and never coming back. Well, I'm pretty sure that I'll be back some day, however, Royal has already forced me to "branch out" and try new lines. I enjoyed Celebrity (I know it's owned by Royal) and have booked two more on it. Next, I have booked a couple of Princess cruises. I have never tried them and am looking forward to it. I even booked a 28 day in a suite. That money could have been Adam's, but you never know, maybe he did me a favor and I'll love it over there. So, Adam if you are reading this, good job and I hope to some day sail on Royal again. Maybe you will be gone by then. Hey, come on, a guy can dream can't he?

I received my call from corporate and it was very professional and at least I got to state my opinion. I did say that if I repeatedly enter the CL during HH and never see a seat because of kids/teens in there, I will be speaking kindly and gently to the Concierge. The HH is the MAIN reason we booked the GS this trip - in order to spend HH in there with other friends who booked a GS........

Why would you think you have the right to speak to the Concierge about Suite Guests or Diamond Plus Members taking up a seat? Just because they are under 21? If the new policy is that Suite Guests and Diamond Plus Members under the age of 21 are allowed in the CL during Happy Hour why should they be denied a seat? You do not have more rights than them under the new policy.

I also find it strange that the MAIN reason for booking a GS would be to have free cocktails in the CL. For the difference in cost of a regular Balcony Cabin you could buy a LOT of drinks for you and your friends in one of the other lounges on board.

One result of this - concierges gratuities are going to sink. How many of those same suite guests taking their rugrats into the CL are going to give a gratuity based on their whole family. My guess - none.

They cut the wages of the concieges some time ago and a great number of the better ones left. What's going to keep them now?

Speaking as a cruiser now, not a TA, we won't be sailing with RCL much in the future. I've only sailed with them once in the last 2 years and that was not for pleasure.

We still have 2 or 3 nextcruise certificates from some time ago so I suppose we may use them for Transatlantics or at least longer cruises.

It's OK that RCL wanted to become a more family cruiseline but it's not OK when the kids are dictating the rules.

I don't think you know that a Guest with children will undertip the Concierge anymore than you know what any guest tips the Concierge.

RCL is going after the Family Market. But the children are not dictating the rules. The rule has been changed to please the Adult guests with children.

Calling children rugrats is more a poor reflection on you than on any of the children you are putting down. My children are all adults so I won't be bringing children into the CL, but I don't have a problem with this policy change. I am not going to assume that any particular young person will be any more disruptive than some of the boorish adults that frequent the CL.

We found "Michael's Club" to be a much more enjoyable environment on Celebrity Summit than the CL on Explorer. Excellent service also. My guess is the next shoe to drop will be the Diamond Plus members being kicked out of the CL altogether. It's just a matter of time.

I agree Tony. I think that it's a matter of time before D+ go next.

I had a call today from someone at RCI concerning my email. My email was not just about this situation but how they handled the San Juan incident and a few other things.

Bascially the new policy is here to stay for at least a while for RCI to test it out. I was told that feedback was very important but in the end, I don't see them changing it back. This will be like the the situation where Diamonds were removed from the CL. Caused an uproar and then life goes on.

I had to laugh when the person told me that each sailing averaged about five families per cruise booked in suites. Guess they left the Freedom and Oasis classes out of the equation.

I also told this person that I found AG's comments on his blog rather rude and she stated that this was not the way it was intended.

In the end, it will be like I tell everyone on this board, we all have a choice. Live with the changes or vote with your wallet. That is the only thing that will get their attention.

You may both be correct....but why do you think it would just end with D+ getting kicked out of the CL:confused:If kicking out D+ from the CL ends up being the case, I think you can expect a trickle down effect...at least one that goes into D tier and possible changes to who will be allowed entry of the DL.

I don't think you know that a Guest with children will undertip the Concierge anymore than you know what any guest tips the Concierge.

RCL is going after the Family Market. But the children are not dictating the rules. The rule has been changed to please the Adult guests with children.

Calling children rugrats is more a poor reflection on you than on any of the children you are putting down. My children are all adults so I won't be bringing children into the CL, but I don't have a problem with this policy change. I am not going to assume that any particular young person will be any more disruptive than some of the boorish adults that frequent the CL.

Very true. I do not have very young children, but I am sympathetic to suite bookers who can not use the lounge due to them excluding children from happy hour.

I think it is a good change in view of the fact that Royal seems to be encouraging new family cruisers; it makes sense to listen to them.

So many times posters complain, 'let them run the company', except when it is something they don't particularly like. I'm sure Royal would like some of their older cruisers to switch to X and buy the booze package rather than sit in the CL all night, complaining, and drinking for free.

There are so many rude comments from D+. I would think that it's easier to kick you all out of the lounge rather than deal with the ungratefulness for a free perk. But they're not kicking you out, they're letting others, who they feel warrant admission, in. And you all are complaining before the policy has even been in operation for a good amount of time.

I am D+ and usually book GS or JS for myself, kids in a balcony.

Why would you think you have the right to speak to the Concierge about Suite Guests or Diamond Plus Members taking up a seat? Just because they are under 21? If the new policy is that Suite Guests and Diamond Plus Members under the age of 21 are allowed in the CL during Happy Hour why should they be denied a seat? You do not have more rights than them under the new policy.

Bingo!!!!

What is everyone going to do when the children are all sitting well behaved and adults are making a scene!!!

love to be a fly on the wall for that one!!!

What is the standard response on these boards if someone says they don't like something about RCL?

It's usually something really helpful like....enjoy Carnival or just plain Bye!

Haven't seen any of that yet...wonder why?

Maybe this new policy will actually work and breeders of young children such as myself are able to control our rugrats or leave the CL as we will.

I can see it from both points of view and accept that if parents cannot or will not control their children then the CL will be a poor environment to be in. If this transpires to be the case then I'm sure RCL will consider a seperate CL overflow for families or scrapping the idea altogether.

Give it a chance just because one parent lets their children run wild does not mean we all do. There are adults who behave poorly when in a free drink environment but I don't see anyone (& rightly so) casting all adults as low life!

A much more elegant solution would be to give 2 drink coupons per day to all guests who would be otherwise qualified to use the Concierge Lounge. The guest could then use them at any bar of their choice for any standard drink. Coupon use could perhaps be limited to the same hours as the CL service.

Those that wanted to use the CL could still do so, with drinks still provided, as is the current practice. Those that prefer another venue would be free to choose any bar and use their coupons.

What is the standard response on these boards if someone says they don't like something about RCL?

It's usually something really helpful like....enjoy Carnival or just plain Bye!

Haven't seen any of that yet...wonder why?

I've been wondering the same thing after page one of probably 100 pages between all the threads!!

For quite some time now I've been seeing a pattern and usually what is complained about the most here usually is put forth over at Celebrity. One example was the new smoking policy at X.

Dreamworks was the start of Royal gearing towards families and Celebrity opting for the step up.

Children in the CL is step one I'll bet to who will have access to what lounge and that is what is getting everyone all fired up as changes are probably coming to the lounges and loyalty program and most know it. To each his own on what makes a cruise but it is very evident that so many base the entire cruise on the Concierge and freebies. I still say with todays economy-you're lucky to be able to cruise and that should be enough that you are stepping on a ship. :D

I also find it strange that the MAIN reason for booking a GS would be to have free cocktails in the CL. For the difference in cost of a regular Balcony Cabin you could buy a LOT of drinks for you and your friends in one of the other lounges on board.

I'm waiting for the "CL Chair Hogs" to start soon. The people who are going to run in there long before HH and put their things on a chair and come back later and expect "their" seat. *sly grin*

So as a D+ member with enough cruise points to be D+ three times over, I personnaly would prefer that kids be kept out of the previous adults only Concierge Lounge. However I have also witnesed some very nice and poilite young teenagers who have been brought up in a way that enables them to be welcomed into any adult group.

In fairness I do not have any kids in the age group that have caused such concern, but I know that if I did have, and had paid a large amount for a suite I would like to be able to have my familiy with me, BUT. If I had made a booking with the knowledge that there was a small area of the ship, that during certain hours younger children were restricted access, I would accept that to be the case. In exactly the same way that adults accept that certain areas of the ship are "off limits" as they are catering to the younger crowd.

I just hope that we can all be sensible and respect others, that would allow those that have children that will respect the atmoshere of the CL to enjoy it, without distruption to others.

I for one would welcome any person of any age into the CL or any other part of the ship when they are able to respect others, but will be one of the first to refer to the guest conduct policy when anyone of any age believes that their attitude can interfere with my cruising experience.

That said we all have our own ways of having fun, and hope that my I can be tolerant when others are having fun, just as I expect others have on occassions been tolerant of mine over the years that I have been cruising.

We should all remember that ships these days do offer facilities for everyone, there are quite areas and lively areas, we should all be able to know the difference. The CL has been known to be both, depending on the cruise and the cruisers on board. We have sat quitely and enjoyed a drink, and mixed with friends where the conversation becomes louder and at times hilarious, although not of us have ever run around the other tables, not climbed on the furniture.

Therefore if our younger cruisers can avoid that, then in my opinion they are welcome.

As a D+ member, I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been into the CL or DL for that matter, the reason for this is that up until recently my daughter, and her friends that we take with us, were not of the age to be hanging around the ship on their own, while Mom and Dad took advantage of the HH and free drinks, and the other family that we have cruised with the last few years had not yet made Diamond status so could not use the DL. I forgave a perk I was entitled to because of my situations at the time.

On my way home from work, there are a couple of bars and even restaurants that offer HH at about the time I go past, and I have on occasion taken advantage of this, BUT on the days that I collect my daughter from school sports activites on the way home, I would not dream of stopping for HH, because she is not of the age to be going into bars, maybe I should petition the bar owners to allow underage kids in during HH so I don't miss out on that perk;):rolleyes:

I am starting to think that this may be just the beginning of a much bigger loyalty change not far down the pike. The timing of this new policy is kind of interesting.......just leading up to the Diamonds in December event. Many are speculating that allowing children into an already overcrowded CL set's things up for D+ to be kicked out of the CL like they did with D members during the last big loyalty change. Well let's think about it....loyalty #'s are still going to grow in leaps and bounds...even with the new changes that took place to the point system to try to slow things down. Royal again is throwing the Diamonds in December Celebration...again giving double and triple points to entice C&A members to sail and use this event for C&A guests to grow themselves to the next C&A loyalty tiers....so they themselves are pushing people into higher tiers. Both DL's and CL's are already overcrowded at present and often need the use of overflow lounges. Let's face facts....the C&A program has got to be growing faster than those that are reaching high levels and then for whatever reason not sailing. Young children are D and D+ members well before they can even legally sail on their own.....when they turn 21 and sailing for the very first time on their own they will already be coming in as D and D+ members. It is inevitable that changes will again have to be made....the question is just when. They are adding DL's to older ships as they go into dry-dock....but these aren't big lounges and aren't going to be able to handle the #'s....heck the DL on Oasis/Allure can't handle the volume...and they are the largest ships in the world and were just designed and built and the C&A loyalty #'s have already exceeded the size of their DL's.

While many are fearful of D+ getting kicked out of the CL, reality would probably be a much bigger change....something that may be closer to Pinnacle and suite guests only allowed entry into the CL.....the DL becoming the D+L...and D having either some event of their own or probably closer to just adding some additional perks to the C&A Diamond book like free drink coupons. I know that no one wants to hear any of this but change is here and if it's here to stay like AG has stated in his blog than I think it's just the beginning of a much bigger plan that may be inevitable.

bajathree-the writing as been on the wall for this for quite some time now. Many just choose to not see it.

The CC leaks and hints have begun. Standard for this website when changes are coming.

If I remember correctly-before I left for business a thread started about children in the lounge and voila-I return to the new policy.

Hints were dropped numerous times last diamonds in december program to 'get to the level you want before January'

Hints were dropped when diamonds got the boot.

Did all think these new D lounges were being added so more folks could drink for free? I didn't think so and thought here comes a Diamond event for D's and the lounges are for D+.

This whole thing is indicative of society in general - children are NOT adults and there is a growing trend of treating them with all the same "rights". In all our 16 cruises, much to my surprise, I have never seen kids in the bars. So why they should be allowed in the CL during what has always been presented as a Happy Hour? It's a bad decision and another decision that alienates the most loyal segment of the passenger base. It's funny - when we started cruising in 1999, Royal's loyalty program far surpassed Celebrity. Now it's definitely the other way around.

Originally Posted by wolfganghowell

I received my call from corporate and it was very professional and at least I got to state my opinion. I did say that if I repeatedly enter the CL during HH and never see a seat because of kids/teens in there, I will be speaking kindly and gently to the Concierge. The HH is the MAIN reason we booked the GS this trip - in order to spend HH in there with other friends who booked a GS........

Response to my post:

Actually, I DO have the right to speak to the Concierge - I specifically stated this to Corporate in my phone call and he agreed that I should do so. Because if there are space issues due to kids, they will open up a satellite lounge. I would never berate the Concierge or be unkind to kids. But it is a bit disingenious for Corporate to take Diamonds out of the Lounge due to crowding and then a year or so later, add in MORE people.

Second, it's not your place to find my motivations STRANGE. It's a perfectly valid reason that the main reason to move from our usual JS to a GS would be to spend time with friends in a quiet adult environment every day. That's MY reason, you can pick your cabin based on YOUR preferences.

Actually, I DO have the right to speak to the Concierge - I specifically stated this to Corporate in my phone call and he agreed that I should do so. Because if there are space issues due to kids, they will open up a satellite lounge. I would never berate the Concierge or be unkind to kids. But it is a bit disingenious for Corporate to take Diamonds out of the Lounge due to crowding and then a year or so later, add in MORE people.

Second, it's not your place to find my motivations STRANGE. It's a perfectly valid reason that the main reason to move from our usual JS to a GS would be to spend time with friends in a quiet adult environment every day. That's MY reason, you can pick your cabin based on YOUR preferences.

Well, corporate yessed you to death because it doesn't pay to argue.

Business models change over time to suit the demographic. More families on board means more kids, which means that they may impact your vacation.

If you want a quiet adult environment, I would recommend your cabin, and not the public areas of a ship that is known to cater to families, and children! Otherwise look at the more adult-oriented cruiselines, there are plenty.

bajathree-the writing as been on the wall for this for quite some time now. Many just choose to not see it.

The CC leaks and hints have begun. Standard for this website when changes are coming.

If I remember correctly-before I left for business a thread started about children in the lounge and voila-I return to the new policy.

Hints were dropped numerous times last diamonds in december program to 'get to the level you want before January'

Hints were dropped when diamonds got the boot.

Did all think these new D lounges were being added so more folks could drink for free? I didn't think so and thought here comes a Diamond event for D's and the lounges are for D+.

Yea...I don't disagree with you here...there is little doubt that with all I see happening I think it will out-line very similar to what I posted above.

I just think that it would be much acceptable for everyone if Royal clearly outlined their future changes to the C&A loyalty tiers along with official dates that the changes would take place and release it all at one time. I think leaking info, changes without future notice and making changes in drips and drabs without C&A folk knowing what is going on is worse that just making their future C&A plans public. It may be a big pill for everyone to swallow but one that may be easier accepted all at once instead of dragging it out.

Archived