This is CRAPPY! If I want Mariner, Deck 9 for June, 2012 I have to sail out of Genoa

So now I think I figured out how they do the alternate embarkation/debarkation. I was searching for something on the Mariner for June or July, 2012. I really like Deck 9 and want an aft balcony. I could not get any E1 Balcony on Deck 9 at all. It only gave me options of Deck 8 or 10. This was true of every week, hmmm, that doesn't sound right.

So then I decided to see if they offerred alternate ports to embark on. Low and behold when I searched for Mariner departing out of Genoa, there were all the Deck 9 aft cabins! SO that's how they do the alternate ports.

But I want to sail again out of Civitavecchia so I can have more time in Rome.

Are there really that many people that rather go out of Genoa???

This may be enough so that I scrap the Med for next year (at least for a cruise) and go to the Caribbean instead.

So now I think I figured out how they do the alternate embarkation/debarkation. I was searching for something on the Mariner for June or July, 2012. I really like Deck 9 and want an aft balcony. I could not get any E1 Balcony on Deck 9 at all. It only gave me options of Deck 8 or 10. This was true of every week, hmmm, that doesn't sound right.

So then I decided to see if they offerred alternate ports to embark on. Low and behold when I searched for Mariner departing out of Genoa, there were all the Deck 9 aft cabins! SO that's how they do the alternate ports.

This may be enough so that I scrap the Med for next year (at least for a cruise) and go to the Caribbean instead.

When you say "it only gave me options...." are you referring to the website? If so, you should call RCCL and inquire about availability...not every available cabin is brought up when you choose a cruise on the website. Many other cabins are often available.

It may be that they have blocked the Deck 9 cabins from the website for Civitavecchia, but they would be available talking directly with an agent.

Call them and see if they will give it to you in Civitavecchia. Worst they can say is no. :rolleyes:

Genoa is a great non touristy city, we spend 5 days there and would go back. I suggest if you are a adventurous traveler, fly in there, and spend at least 3 days, in the city, take a train down to Santa Margarita, and go over to Portofino, try the Pesto Minestrone soup and enjoy the wonderful Lingurian coast. Genoa has some good walks, and good food, little english is spoken but you will get by, PS most good restaurants do open until 7ish

Dang I wish I had that problem.

This was off the website. Seemed to have all of Deck 9 blocked off for the E1 balcony.

I will try to call, but now I don't have as good a bargaining position with DH to go ahead and book, my argument was going to be "I went ahead and put a 24 hr. hold so we need to decide now, it's the room we want and the girls are wanting to go back to Rome, I promise I won't make you stay all day in the Vatican museum again, and you can spend a day on the Appian Way this time..."

It actually crossed my mind about flying into Rome, spending a few days, then train to Genoa for one night then board. But one of my DD's is disabled (similar to autism), diabetic and requires a gluten-free diet. I know she does really well in Rome and on the ship, but not sure Genoa will be as successful or have much she will like.

Your experience on deck 8 might be just as good. I don't know, I wouldn't choose the Caribbean over Rome just because of the deck.

Yea, stupid, I know, but I've husband that will ONLY cruise on an aft balcony. He's the one recently bringing up cruising instead out of San Juan to the southern carib. Girls and I want to go back to Rome.

I had a similar problem trying to book the cabin I wanted on Splendour out of Venice in May 2012. I could only get it if I embarked in Bari. This was through the RCI website. I went to a TA and got the cabin from Venice no problem.

Personally yes, I would rather sail out of Genoa than Civitavecchia. I've been there too many times and by itself it sucks. Rome is nice, but far away in a hot old train. Really not my favorite stop. A change to Genoa would be positive.

I will try to call, but now I don't have as good a bargaining position with DH to go ahead and book, my argument was going to be "I went ahead and put a 24 hr. hold so we need to decide now, it's the room we want and the girls are wanting to go back to Rome, I promise I won't make you stay all day in the Vatican museum again, and you can spend a day on the Appian Way this time..."

So CALL and put it on a courtesy hold. You don't have to book just because you called. Your husband won't know the difference.

why not spend a couple of days precruise in Rome and then train to Genoa to meet the ship. Super easy. We took the train from Rome to Monaco a couple of years go..very scenic.[/quotewe loved genoa and with close italy coastal destinations traveling either way from city , you will be missing slot in area. Also you will

miss mariner and your aft cabin.

Archived