My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

Just received an email from cl host Karen Fernandez. We, (wife and dd-6) are sailing on Navagator on Sunday in a gs. We are also D members, which seems like an albatross in this thread. Loyal customer who sails in a suite.:eek: In bold red on that email is the statement that for all guests to enjoy the cl, guests 20 and under must be accompanied and supervised at ALL TIMES, not just during happy hour.

Seems fair to me, we have supervised her every day of her life so far, and I guess I will agree to disagree with those that think, and give the impression that just the mere presence of children is disruptive. To you I say...

Traveling on a family oriented line must be hell for you, save those few hours you had in the cl that I'm sure you book your cruise for just that.

RCI happens to be a line that wants to attract ALL pax..not just those with kids.

I don't think it horrible that adults want ONE area where they can relax..have a few drinks...tell a few bawdy jokes..and not have to worry about seeing..hearing..associating with kids.

That doesn't make those adults kid haters.

I was out with friends the other day at a bar and someone at the next table had some children with them and my friends were being a little vulgar and I was almost ready to ask them to tone it down because I could see the grandma glaring at them, however, I decided not to say anything because it was a bar and not a playground.

Some places just need to be adult only.

Just received an email from cl host Karen Fernandez. We, (wife and dd-6) are sailing on Navagator on Sunday in a gs. We are also D members, which seems like an albatross in this thread. Loyal customer who sails in a suite.:eek: In bold red on that email is the statement that for all guests to enjoy the cl, guests 20 and under must be accompanied and supervised at ALL TIMES, not just during happy hour.

Seems fair to me, we have supervised her every day of her life so far, and I guess I will agree to disagree with those that think, and give the impression that just the mere presence of children is disruptive. To you I say...

Traveling on a family oriented line must be hell for you, save those few hours you had in the cl that I'm sure you book your cruise for just that.

Policy has always been that children are to be supervised. That doesn't mean they are and the concierge is not in the CL 24 hours a day.

As I said previously, we are also D and will continue to sail in suites for several reasons. One of the other reasons is that we HATE the bathrooms in balcony rooms. We prefer the tubs in JS and above.

And, we supervised our boys every day of their lives, much to their chagrin, but we also never took them to bars or adult only parties.

No one's asking for no children anywhere anytime. We're just wishing they hadn't change the rules on us midstream for a 3 hour period only. 1/8th of the time in the CL is not too much to ask.

I was out with friends the other day at a bar and someone at the next table had some children with them and my friends were being a little vulgar and I was almost ready to ask them to tone it down because I could see the grandma glaring at them, however, I decided not to say anything because it was a bar and not a playground.

This:)

I agree and if grandma didn´t like it she should have taken the kids out. Same goes for the CL, if people don´t like their kids being exposed to certain things - keep them out. I´m not going to amend my behaviour to only kid appropriate stuff, just because people chose to bring them.

Yup. This thread was started 6 months ago. The policy has been in place for that long and to what I have heard, is not changing [ as far as children ] so some here will have to understand the CL has changed as to who can walk in the door.

Instead of complaining about children and parents in the lounge-why not be constructive and come up with an alternate venue that could be adult only and e-mail the company. Forget the CL as an option and be productive and think of another place.

Yup. This thread was started 6 months ago. The policy has been in place for that long and to what I have heard, is not changing [ as far as children ] so some here will have to understand the CL has changed as to who can walk in the door.

Instead of complaining about children and parents in the lounge-why not be constructive and come up with an alternate venue that could be adult only and e-mail the company. Forget the CL as an option and be productive and think of another place.

So, you expect adults in suites traveling without children to be moved? Um, what they should have done is make another venue for families because the policy had been in place for so long, not the other way around.:rolleyes:

So, you expect adults in suites traveling without children to be moved? Um, what they should have done is make another venue for families because the policy had been in place for so long, not the other way around.:rolleyes:

I'm really thinking-cann't we all just get along.

Do you really think the policy is changing back??

There will be lots of changes along the way and some just have to move on and go with the flow.

BTW-I expect nothing and know Royal clearly states with many of the policies they have that they can change at any time.

Some ships have the solarium, and the gym is pretty much no-kids.

I don't understand why people think "adults only" means "free license for vulgarity and bawdiness"...not all adults care to hear nastiness. Maybe grandma was the one offended by your friend's behavior, and not for the sake of her young charges.

I agree and if grandma didn´t like it she should have taken the kids out. Same goes for the CL, if people don´t like their kids being exposed to certain things - keep them out. I´m not going to amend my behaviour to only kid appropriate stuff, just because people chose to bring them.

Well by your logic here, I you are offended by children suite guests in the CL with their parents behaving Withiut "amending their behavior" to only quiet an docile stuff...don't go. The fact of the matter is that the rules allow the kids in there and you being vulgar just because you can and having a rude attitude toward them beig there is kind of a childish rebellion against Royal's policy allowing kids in the CL?

Some ships have the solarium, and the gym is pretty much no-kids.

I don't understand why people think "adults only" means "free license for vulgarity and bawdiness"...not all adults care to hear nastiness. Maybe grandma was the one offended by your friend's behavior, and not for the sake of her young charges.

I fully agree with the highlighted in red. But it can help to turn the little monsters away:D:p

Well by your logic here, I you are offended by children suite guests in the CL with their parents behaving Withiut "amending their behavior" to only quiet an docile stuff...don't go. The fact of the matter is that the rules allow the kids in there and you being vulgar just because you can and having a rude attitude toward them beig there is kind of a childish rebellion against Royal's policy allowing kids in the CL?

I´m in no way offended by the kids and I fully agree with you that per RCI´s policy they have every right to be there. I have the right to be there as well though and in the welcome letters I received I´ve never been asked to welcome those kids in there. RCI welcomes them and I repeat they are there according to the rules RCI layed out. I however have no desire to be firendly with them and if my being there drives them away - great:D

I have the right to be there as well though and in the welcome letters I received I´ve never been asked to welcome those kids in there. RCI welcomes them and I repeat they are there according to the rules RCI layed out. I however have no desire to be firendly with them and if my being there drives them away - great:D

As long as you display common courtesy and not try to drive them out-it's all good.

There were some early on that point blank said they would try to make them, [parents and the children] feel uncomforatble, that's where common decency was thrown out the window and that's sad.

I fully agree with the highlighted in red. But it can help to turn the little monsters away:D:p

I have a teenager and a soon-to-be teenager. If you think that would turn them away, you certainly don't know teens too well. The 7-year old wouldn't even hear you as he spent his time in the CL with a PSP and earphones.

I however have no desire to be firendly with them and if my being there drives them away - great:D

nobody said you have to become BFFs with the kids or chummy with the parents who bring said kids. However I could see rude or overly repulsive behavior grounds for being invited to leave the CL.

I have a teenager and a soon-to-be teenager. If you think that would turn them away, you certainly don't know teens too well. The 7-year old wouldn't even hear you as he spent his time in the CL with a PSP and earphones.

nobody said you have to become BFFs with the kids or chummy with the parents who bring said kids. However I could see rude or overly repulsive behavior grounds for being invited to leave the CL.

Well I fully support your right to see it this way, unfortunately - unless you are hired as a Concierge - you are not the one to make the decision if I will be invited to leave:p

Certainly both side of this discussion have valid points. The desire of suite guests to allow their children into the lounge is understandably as is the desire of others to have an adults only venue.

Ideally RCCL could expand the lounges to include somewhat separate areas to accomodate both groups. There could be some activities for the kids so that they don't get bored and some snacks in that area that appeal more to the younger palates.

There is an ever increasing number of D+ members and without expansion of the lounges we suspect the D+ members will eventually face the same fate as the D's experienced not so very long ago when they got booted from the lounge do to overcrowding issues.

Since RCI is adding Diamond Lounges on almost all ships I think in the future the Diamond Lounge will be for Diamond and Diamond Plus. The CL will be for Pinnicle and Suite guests. If the services and extras offered are the same, it shouldn't be a problem.

This is a joke, right? These kids were not sitting at the bar, correct? Most restaurants have bars with loads of table seating (Chili's, Fridays, Applebees) where everyone is welcome. Seated at the bar, no, But at a table in a bar, yes, see it all the time. It seems to me that people who knowingly continue to be vulgar when they are aware children are seated close by should be ashamed of themselves. If we are out and I see kids close by I mind my words and actions. They have every right to be there. The boorish behavior you describe screams of entitlement "I'm out having a good time and I don't care if my behavior impacts you"

I'm really thinking-cann't we all just get along.

Do you really think the policy is changing back??

There will be lots of changes along the way and some just have to move on and go with the flow.

BTW-I expect nothing and know Royal clearly states with many of the policies they have that they can change at any time.

The point being you said they need to set up something for the adults only. I was only pointing out the irony in your idea.

My other issue is seating. How many seats does each suite get? Each D+? DH and I pay a lot for a suite and to not have a place to sit because a family of 4 or 5 is all seated is an issue too. Seating has always been my #1 issue. Do parents bringing their kids to the CL think that's fair? I personally think that each suite (or D+ in another cabin) should get 2 seats if it's crowded. It's only fair.

Well I fully support your right to see it this way, unfortunately - unless you are hired as a Concierge - you are not the one to make the decision if I will be invited to leave:p

That is an incredibly rude and entitled statement to make. I'm sure passengers who were offended by obnoxious behaviours aimed at running others out of the CL would cause enough complaints to the hired concierge for them to get your butt taken out of there. The passenger code of conduct (that you agree to when you cruise) states "Verbally abusive or offensive language directed toward anyone, to include guests, crew

members, governmental officials, or others is not permitted." There was also something in the fine print I noticed about "excessive offensive language" being prohibited by the conduct policy too.

That is an incredibly rude and entitled statement to make. I'm sure passengers who were offended by obnoxious behaviours aimed at running others out of the CL would cause enough complaints to the hired concierge for them to get your butt taken out of there. The passenger code of conduct (that you agree to when you cruise) states "Verbally abusive or offensive language directed toward anyone, to include guests, crew

members, governmental officials, or others is not permitted." There was also something in the fine print I noticed about "excessive offensive language" being prohibited by the conduct policy too.

The concierges on my cruises must have missed that somehow. As of yet I haven´t been thrown out a single time, but hey just a thought, maybe they know where ther tip is coming from and they don´t wat to offend someone and miss out on their tip. A nice hand$hake on embarkation day can go a long way :D:p

In our opinion RCI should have created a "family" CL...where children and parents could have mingled together and other pax who desired an adult venue could have continued and not had to mingle with kids.

The snacks provided in the family room could have been kid friendly and all of the pax with kids could have enjoyed their own kids and everyone elses too.:)

My other issue is seating. How many seats does each suite get? Each D+? DH and I pay a lot for a suite and to not have a place to sit because a family of 4 or 5 is all seated is an issue too. Seating has always been my #1 issue. Do parents bringing their kids to the CL think that's fair? I personally think that each suite (or D+ in another cabin) should get 2 seats if it's crowded. It's only fair.

I'm pretty sure seating will not be an issue once some more Diamond lounges are complete. We all know where that is going.

Of course it is fair that a suite guest and family may have a seat. Even if those seats are taken by children.

The point being you said they need to set up something for the adults only. I was only pointing out the irony in your idea.

Your post got me thinking. They should only give CL access to first and second passengers of suites.:cool:

Your post got me thinking. They should only give CL access to first and second passengers of suites.:cool:

Do you want to be the one to tell the person that has booked the Presidential family suite that!!!!:eek::p

Archived