My Experience in CL with Kids

klove613

Someone had mentioned earlier-what if they allowed Suite Guests (and D/D+) to have "free drinks" during the cocktail hour, using their Seapass card, at any venue on the ship? I'm not sure how they (or X) handle the drink packages (to keep 1 person from buying a drink and handing to a friend, then going to get another drink, etc) but they must have a system in place that could be implemented in a similar fashion. Perhaps only allow a drink every 20 minutes during that time frame, per card...???

Those that want "adult time" and don't like the new rules, can go to another bar and enjoy their Perk. They could even order drinks in the MDR. That would also help keep the small CL from being over-crowded.

Then everyone has a choice: stay in the CL with families (if there are any in there), or go somewhere else to enjoy the same "perk".

Not sure if that's a viable solution, but I'd be happy with it :p

Someone had mentioned earlier-what if they allowed Suite Guests (and D/D+) to have "free drinks" during the cocktail hour, using their Seapass card, at any venue on the ship? I'm not sure how they (or X) handle the drink packages (to keep 1 person from buying a drink and handing to a friend, then going to get another drink, etc) but they must have a system in place that could be implemented in a similar fashion. Perhaps only allow a drink every 20 minutes during that time frame, per card...???

Those that want "adult time" and don't like the new rules, can go to another bar and enjoy their Perk. They could even order drinks in the MDR. That would also help keep the small CL from being over-crowded.

Then everyone has a choice: stay in the CL with families (if there are any in there), or go somewhere else to enjoy the same "perk".

They (RCI) handles the drink package (alcohol) in the way that all passengers in the cabin have to buy the package.:p

Anyway as for me the CL is about the nice atmosphere and not the drinks it wouldn´t be a solution for me.

Your post got me thinking. They should only give CL access to first and second passengers of suites.:cool:

You know that's not what I meant.

The point is when the CL is crowded, not having anywhere near enough seats is an issue. DH and I always taught our children to give up their seats for those who need to sit, but I see more and more parents who act like their kids deserve the seat, regardless of who is standing-older people, pregnant women, disabled people etc. And I'm talking about buses, waiting rooms, etc. People on the Disney board have said, why should I give up MY seat for someone else? Um, it's called common courtesy, manners, gallantry. This also applies to opening doors for people.

Don't see this happening! The CL is meant to be an exclusive lounge for suite guests and D+ and Pinacle members. To most of us it is much more than just a place to get free drinks.

I still believe the solution is enlarging and reconfiguring the lounges to accommodate both groups.

This is a joke, right? These kids were not sitting at the bar, correct? Most restaurants have bars with loads of table seating (Chili's, Fridays, Applebees) where everyone is welcome. Seated at the bar, no, But at a table in a bar, yes, see it all the time. It seems to me that people who knowingly continue to be vulgar when they are aware children are seated close by should be ashamed of themselves. If we are out and I see kids close by I mind my words and actions. They have every right to be there. The boorish behavior you describe screams of entitlement "I'm out having a good time and I don't care if my behavior impacts you"

It was a BAR, not a Chilis,Applebees. There was no children menus, crayons, etc. Not a place for children. A place for grown-ups. I do not understand the attitude of some parents. If you want family time then take your child to a place where your children can have a good time. Sometimes you give something up when you have children. Never took my daughter to a bar or a place where she would have been bored and that included the CL when she was a child.

Don't see this happening! The CL is meant to be an exclusive lounge for suite guests and D+ and Pinacle members. To most of us it is much more than just a place to get free drinks.

I still believe the solution is enlarging and reconfiguring the lounges to accommodate both groups.

I don't think any of the lounges can be enlarged. The option is exactly what they are doing now. Make sure all ships have a DL and change who will be invited into what lounge. That's where I think they are going with this.

I don't think any of the lounges can be enlarged. The option is exactly what they are doing now. Make sure all ships have a DL and change who will be invited into what lounge. That's where I think they are going with this.

I think you are correct, not that I have any reason to know, just reading wall handwriting. The irony is that I've heard more complaining from Pinnacle Club members about children, so I hope that RCI's solution isn't, "fine. Go hang out in the Diamond Lounge, then."

You may very well be right. I am not completely up to date on what all is happening in RCCL's renovation program. I think the Voyager and Freedom Class already have a CL and DL. So the DL additions would primarily affect the Radiance the Vision Class ships. Unless something has changed the Radiance class had a very small CL and the Visions Class nada.

Sure would like to see the CLs located on the ship's suite deck. On the Voyager Class the suites are on deck 10 and he CL on deck 9. Also woukd like to have public restrooms in or near the CL's.

You may very well be right. I am not completely up to date on what all is happening in RCCL's renovation program. I think the Voyager and Freedom Class already have a CL and DL. So the DL additions would primarily affect the Radiance the Vision Class ships. Unless something has changed the Radiance class had a very small CL and the Visions Class nada.

Sure would like to see the CLs located on the ship's suite deck. On the Voyager Class the suites are on deck 10 and he CL on deck 9. Also woukd like to have public restrooms in or near the CL's.

Now on Deck 13 on Radiance so No-they are moving them further away from the suites.:(

shp_rd_deck13_v10-11_dpl.gif

I was out with friends the other day at a bar and someone at the next table had some children with them and my friends were being a little vulgar and I was almost ready to ask them to tone it down because I could see the grandma glaring at them, however, I decided not to say anything because it was a bar and not a playground.

Some places just need to be adult only.

"birds of a feather flock together" ............;)

I agree with you to an extent. I can see the appeal to the CL IF I wasn't traveling with my children. I can see where past cruisers would enjoy meeting up with old friends and making new ones in the CL. However, you have some people, like my DH, even if we werent with kids would stay to himself in the CL instead of mingling (but believe me I would be talking to anyone within ear shot). I won't take my kids in because I know they would be bored, it's their vacation too. It would be nice, if they offered some way to have it added to your S&S card for in cabin use. We could enjoy our drinks on the balcony and not have to worry about our kids being bored or bothering anyone else. Maybe they could load your S&S card with a bottle of wine/liquor each night for adults and maybe a soda each night for children?? Then again you would have some argue that isn't enough since CL is basically all you can drink :confused: It would even be great if they opened up a 2nd venue for those traveling with children because that would also allow the kids to meet other children as well as parent's with the same interests (we all know you have different interests when you travel with your own children than when solo).

Just to put my 2 cents in (or pennies technically as I'm from England!), I have booked an owner's suite for July holiday on Freedom with my 15 year old son. For the record, prior to reading this thread, I probably would have popped into CL for a free drink in the evening before dinner with my lad (we have gone for the late sitting) and would have thought nothing of it. If the leaflet delivered to my room says we're welcome I would have gone. Who is going to turn down a free drink?

Definitely wont be going now! I hate conflict or bad vibes in any situation but definitely not when I'm on holiday. I think it would be horribly uncomfortable sitting there thinking people don't want us there. Maybe if I had a hubby or a boyfriend or was with a friend I'd feel a bit braver. But still not convinced. Have to say though I am finding the whole suite thing a bit of a quandary. There was another thread talking about suite guests getting priorities to the shows and other priority lines for embarkation/debarkation etc which was quite heated also.

If you pay for a holiday and there are a list of cool things that come with it, it's a bit of a shame to feel like you can't use them when you are technically entitled. Not trying to be provocative. Just questioning why I booked a suite if the perks are disapproved of by so many. Two smaller cabins would have been cheaper and given us the individual space and privacy we will get in the very expensive suite.

I had read this thread and others like it at length before my first concierge level suite experience on freedom last january and had intended to post my experience on my return but it seemed to have died a death...as that is not the case - here goes!

I was also apprehensive about the decision to have booked my family (son 3.5yrs and husband) a suite however we immensely enjoyed the associated perks. We used the lounge for an aperitif every night bar one, it was crowded on a couple of evenings and we had to share a table. On one of those evenings we requested to join an older couple who had four spare seats at their table and they said they would rather we didn't. Fine, their choice as it would be in any establishment anywhere. The concierge invited us to use his desk to sit down until a table became free.

I enjoyed a glass of rose, my husband had a beer or two, my son a glass of water and some carrot and cucumber sticks. We chilled out, chatted and relaxed prior to dinner. Other families did the same. End of story.

If i wasn't in a suite we would have done the same in another bar on the ship but on reflection the personal attention, chance to chat to concierge and bonus of it being a non smoking environment make it worth some of the extra we paid. The lovely stateroom (especially the loungers on the balcony) made it worth the rest.

Back in a GS next cruise in November and can't see that changing. Have an awesome trip and enjoy all the privileges you have paid for.

Ps. One of the best 'suite' things we did was to have a family dinner on the balcony one evening after a particularly long day - ordered lots of yummy food from the enhanced room service menu and ate it in our pjs looking out to sea.

On one of those evenings we requested to join an older couple who had four spare seats at their table and they said they would rather we didn't. Fine, their choice as it would be in any establishment anywhere.....

Wow, sorry about that. I would have welcomed you to our table, 3 yo included.

btw you should have told them there was no seat saving and sat down. Let them move!

You know, I really don't get this great divide among CL users. The CL is for people to have a drink and/or snack before dinner, relax, and socialize with people. Some of these people are travelling with children.

It's not the Bawdy Lounge, or the Rude Storytelling Lounge. I find the arguments against children to be pathetic, at best.

I was also apprehensive about the decision to have booked my family (son 3.5yrs and husband) a suite however we immensely enjoyed the associated perks. We used the lounge for an aperitif every night bar one, it was crowded on a couple of evenings and we had to share a table. On one of those evenings we requested to join an older couple who had four spare seats at their table and they said they would rather we didn't. Fine, their choice as it would be in any establishment anywhere. The concierge invited us to use his desk to sit down until a table became free.

I enjoyed a glass of rose, my husband had a beer or two, my son a glass of water and some carrot and cucumber sticks. We chilled out, chatted and relaxed prior to dinner. Other families did the same. End of story.

If i wasn't in a suite we would have done the same in another bar on the ship but on reflection the personal attention, chance to chat to concierge and bonus of it being a non smoking environment make it worth some of the extra we paid. The lovely stateroom (especially the loungers on the balcony) made it worth the rest.

I'm sorry the older couple was so rude. We would have said yes, exchanged some pleasantries and depending on how the conversation went - stayed or left after we finished our drinks.

This is probably going to annoy a lot of people, but; in my life of not having children of my own I have found that most conversations with people who have their toddlers along are almost always centered on lil Jeffrey or Jenny. So from my side the conversation becaomes - Oh that's nice, how cute, he's how old? Wow, already, playing Mozart; etc. After a few minutes you smile, wish them well and say Oh Wow, look at the time. Gotta go! On the rare occasion when the conversation is actually about something other than finger painting I will stay and enjoy meeting you and your family.

It is all about dynamics. It is not that I will be telling off color jokes or using inappropriate language, but you've got to admit you are on your Ps & Qs when one of the group has very young ears; it changes the entire conversation.

I'm sorry the older couple was so rude. We would have said yes, exchanged some pleasantries and depending on how the conversation went - stayed or left after we finished our drinks.

This is probably going to annoy a lot of people, but; in my life of not having children of my own I have found that most conversations with people who have their toddlers along are almost always centered on lil Jeffrey or Jenny. So from my side the conversation becaomes - Oh that's nice, how cute, he's how old? Wow, already, playing Mozart; etc. After a few minutes you smile, wish them well and say Oh Wow, look at the time. Gotta go! On the rare occasion when the conversation is actually about something other than finger painting I will stay and enjoy meeting you and your family.

It is all about dynamics. It is not that I will be telling off color jokes or using inappropriate language, but you've got to admit you are on your Ps & Qs when one of the group has very young ears; it changes the entire conversation.

Couldn't agree more hence was in no way offended when they politely said they would rather not share our company. You never know what kind of conversation people are in the middle of!

Promise to steer clear of discussing finger painting if we ever meet in the CL. How do you feel about discussing the virtues of mickey mouse clubhouse? (can't add little smiley joke face here as on tapatalk but please imagine one!!)

A couple, sitting at a table for 6 that says they would prefer no one sitting with them-dear lord. You were much better off at the concierge desk!!!;)

People like that really need to get over themselves. :rolleyes:

Of course people who would rather sit alone should be labeled as rude and inconsiderate.:rolleyes:

Maybe there is a good reason why pax want to sit alone? Maybe there were others with them, who left and they were grateful for some alone time. If the place was full they may not have been able to move to a table for two?

Maybe all pax who like to dine at a table for two and not have to be seated with or converse with others should be labeled as well?

I doubt those who request such table arrangements will be told to get over themselves and that they need to sit at tables with other pax.

Of course people who would rather sit alone should be labeled as rude and inconsiderate.:rolleyes:

Maybe there is a good reason why pax want to sit alone? Maybe there were others with them, who left and they were grateful for some alone time. If the place was full they may not have been able to move to a table for two?

Maybe all pax who like to dine at a table for two and not have to be seated with or converse with others should be labeled as well?

I doubt those who request such table arrangements will be told to get over themselves and that they need to sit at tables with other pax.

Oh please-take up a table for 6 for 2!!! No matter how you try to wash that-it's rude. Considering those lounges are tiny enough to begin with!!

My husband and I prefer to dine alone and thus always request a table for 2. We like our own company and spending time together, which is rare at home due to work commitments/travel.

We also don't take cruises to meet new people. I have no problem with those who do but please understand that there are others who don't. We're not rude. We're not obnoxious. We're not self-centered. We simply want to do our own thing and enjoy time with each other -- not the rest of the ship.

Oh please-take up a table for 6 for 2!!! No matter how you try to wash that-it's rude. Considering those lounges are tiny enough to begin with!!

Have you ever tried to sit at a a table in the Windjammer with someone else? I'd say 60% of the time you'll get told no.

We do cruise expecting to meet people. It's not exactly an isolated vacation. But, we also never say no to ANYONE who asks to sit with us. The tables do not belong to anyone, just as the pool chairs don't.

Have you ever tried to sit at a a table in the Windjammer with someone else? I'd say 60% of the time you'll get told no.

We do cruise expecting to meet people. It's not exactly an isolated vacation. But, we also never say no to ANYONE who asks to sit with us. The tables do not belong to anyone, just as the pool chairs don't.

We're talking about the CL not the WJ and in no way shape or form will anyone post anything that gets me to think 2 people holding up a table for 6 in the CL is OK.

If these 2 had such a burning desire for quiet time-buy a drink and take it to your room-end of story!!!

Trust me-they could sit at one end of the table and those 3 at the other and no conversation needed to intertwine!!

Maybe (and apparently it was) the table for six was the only one vacant for that couple to sit at. I'm sure if there were a table for two available, they would have gladly taken it. They did not say absolutely not to the request to join them, just that they would rather not. Well, I'll be perfectly honest and say that I do NOT want to sit with a three-year-old over cocktails. I would be perfectly happy to share the table with other adults. If that makes me rude, well, then, I accept the title.

Well, I'll be perfectly honest and say that I do NOT want to sit with a three-year-old over cocktails. I would be perfectly happy to share the table with other adults. If that makes me rude, well, then, I accept the title.

Remember-you are entering an establishment that allows children. You have other options of places to go.

Archived