VT balcony on the Eurodam

cruz chic

Thanks everyone:). Ruth, you raise an interesting question. I can't imagine a lot of people liking that cabin unless it was uber cheap or an upgrade from an oceanview. It was also suggested (on another thread) that this cabin should be priced like the lanai cabins on the smaller ships. That makes sense. To call that a balcony is just wrong IMO.

I can't see where they call it a VH guarantee and VT is Upgrade.

I could see it an upgrade in the Oceanview Category.

I am glad you got it resolved and got a cabin with a real balcony.

OMG...we did a VH gty on the Eurodam a few years ago and yes, we too would have been very upset if we had been assigned a VT cabin with that tiny balcony. What a joke. Yes the location is neat, but honestly...you call that a balcony??!!

Glad to hear that you got moved to a "real" balcony cabin.

I think any unbooked VT cabins should be given as an upgrade to oceanview passengers, not to VH booked people.

So glad to see you got that issue sorted out. Having been on the Eurodam and seen those balconettes (beat you to that Ruth!) I cannot imagine why anyone would want one of them over a real balcony. They must have proven unpopular because they have done away with them on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Still planning on meeting you in Halifax on the 26th-----God willin' and the creek don't rise:D

So glad to see you got that issue sorted out. Having been on the Eurodam and seen those balconettes (beat you to that Ruth!) I cannot imagine why anyone would want one of them over a real balcony. They must have proven unpopular because they have done away with them on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Still planning on meeting you in Halifax on the 26th-----God willin' and the creek don't rise:D

I'm happy to hear that is still the plan. I just didn't want to ask you if we were still on because I know you've got more then enough on your plate. I'm really looking forward to it.

I know I'll never book another VH guarantee on the Eurodam unless they are giving it away. That certainly wasn't the case for me this time. This was the same price for me as my 16 day Panama cruise and that wasn't cheap either. I'm glad they got rid of these balconettes after the Eurodam.

Looking forward to hearing about Alaska. It's good to have you back:D.

Lorekauf - On Eurodam's inaugural, a friend booked an OV guarantee & wound up in one of those VT cabins. When visiting her, the best anyone could say was that it was a good thing she was travelling solo. :D

Not only are those Juliet balconets tiny, the cabin is small, too. It was perfect for one. I think the only way to sit out there is rig the door open & put a chair in the middle of the doorway. Not great for the AC system, tho. :( And being up that high, on Deck 11, I think, well, if it was a bit rolly-polly, you could feel the sway. If anyone if sensitive to the motion, not a great location.

But I'm so happy for you that you were able to get re-located! That's fantastic. Eurodam is a great ship. Be sure to eat at Tamarind & enjoy the Silk Den.

Im actualy quite interested in the VT and SQ, (Sup. Spa Suite)

If we ever do not sail a SC, SB, or SA-

I would book one of those because they are RIGHT next to the Retreat Cabanas, and although we had a huge balcony last year that is where we spent all of our time. Best service on the ship and pretty quiet. Right next to the VT's there is a very nice guest /public single bathroom that could come in handy when getting ready.

The make or break with the SQ is the TV for us, in all of the photos on here, the TV is small, and not the size of the SZ,SS, SY TV's/ BUT HAL emailed me that they had new TV's after the "signature of excellence upgrades" were added. DBA said to check again, that maybe that person who emailed me was wrong. I will book that cabin when I see a photo of the TV. All of the photos I have found were older. It has a ton of space and I think I would love it.

They def should call * and price* the VT's Balconettes. For sure.

Either way, I hope we will sail a VT or SQ soon- only if we have a Retreat Cabana booked! :)

I loved the VT on Eurodam! Great location, truly the penthouse on the ship. Right next to the Crows Nest and a very quiet location. Beautiful green color scheme. I would be happy to have that cabin.

Ditto! You have terrific privacy with only 6 cabins on each side of the ship and there are public restrooms just outside the door in case both of you want to brush your teeth at the same time. The access to Crow's Nest, ship's library and Internet Lounge is a real plus. Besides that, you have quick access to the Spa just below and Spa amenities come with the cabin that are not available to other verandah cabins. The view from the "Juliette Balcony" is incredible and whoever stated that there is room for only one person has never stayed in one. While the same category in Nieuw Amsterdam gives a bit more room, we would opt for VT on the Eurodam again in a heartbeat. If the size of the balcony is the only issue simply book a cabana on the deck immediately for the best of both worlds.

Ditto! You have terrific privacy with only 6 cabins on each side of the ship and there are public restrooms just outside the door in case both of you want to brush your teeth at the same time. The access to Crow's Nest, ship's library and Internet Lounge is a real plus. Besides that, you have quick access to the Spa just below and Spa amenities come with the cabin that are not available to other verandah cabins. The view from the "Juliette Balcony" is incredible and whoever stated that there is room for only one person has never stayed in one. While the same category in Nieuw Amsterdam gives a bit more room, we would opt for VT on the Eurodam again in a heartbeat. If the size of the balcony is the only issue simply book a cabana on the deck immediately for the best of both worlds.

I'm sorry but I don't want to spend more money for a cabana when I should be able to sit on the balcony I paid for. I enjoy being alone so I don't want to be around people that could make a lot of noise. I'm glad that someone enjoys those balconies but it isn't me. Different strokes for different folks.

I love a happy ending !!:):)

Wishing you a wonderful cruise ,enjoy the Eurodam, and have a fabulous time in Saint John.! (so jealous :D)

Colleen

I wish I was going to Saint John. Sapper and Mr.Sapper :D are coming to Halifax to see me. I've over the moon happy about it.

VT cabins are the same size as other veranda cabins........not smaller

Sorry....have to disagree. HAL's deckplans for Eurodam show VTs on the Observation Deck as 213-379 square ft. And on every other deck, all other V-category cabins are shown as the exact same square footage range. So the VTs ARE smaller than the other verandah cabins. It's one of the reasons for the price difference between a VT & a VA.

Yes, I know that the balcony is included in those measurements. Based on the pix, I'll guess the VT balconet is 6'x2.5' so lets call it 12 sqft. The cabin, including bath, could be only 200 sqft. The other V-categories have a much more generous balcony, maybe 9'x6' = 54 sqft. Even if the total is only 350 sqft, that still gives a 50% larger cabin at 296 sqft. :)

Sorry....have to disagree. HAL's deckplans for Eurodam show VTs on the Observation Deck as 213-379 square ft. And on every other deck, all other V-category cabins are shown as the exact same square footage range. So the VTs ARE smaller than the other verandah cabins. It's one of the reasons for the price difference between a VT & a VA.

Yes, I know that the balcony is included in those measurements. Based on the pix, I'll guess the VT balconet is 6'x2.5' so lets call it 12 sqft. The cabin, including bath, could be only 200 sqft. The other V-categories have a much more generous balcony, maybe 9'x6' = 54 sqft. Even if the total is only 350 sqft, that still gives a 50% larger cabin at 296 sqft. :)

I think you're being very generous giving the Juliette bacony 12 sq ft. One of the pics Joanie posted makes it look like it might be 6 ft long, but I think that's a distortion, and it really more semi-circular as shown in the other pic. So, I think the balcony is more like 7 sq ft.

Here are my own guesstimates of cabin sizes (including the balconies) on Vista and Signature ships:

205 - Eurodam VT with a semi-circular Juliette balcony

234 - Vista and Signature deck 5 VE&VF, Signature VQ

252 - most side VA/VB/VC on Vista and Sig

252 to 270 - stern VA on Signatures

261 - Signature deck 8 V

265 - Vista and Sig VD and deck 4 VF

297 to 324 - stern VA cabins on the Vistas, depending on deck and ship

324 - Signature VA& VD 4051,4052,4053,4054,4129,4131,4132,4134

333 - "double wide balcony" VD cabins 4164&4166 on Vistas, 4166&4168 on Sig

I don't see how any V cabin could come close to HAL's 379 number.

p.s. - here is a shot of the VT balconies from CC member boytjie:

2253299290102790654S500x500Q85.jpg

I think you're being very generous giving the Juliette bacony 12 sq ft. One of the pics Joanie posted makes it look like it might be 6 ft long, but I think that's a distortion, and it really more semi-circular as shown in the other pic. So, I think the balcony is more like 7 sq ft.

It's all quick & dirty. I figured the door is 2x3' glass sliders = 6ft wide. And 2' just didn't seem deep enough to step outside & a yardstick looks like too much. So I compromised in the middle. But I certainly wasn't gonna take the curve into a simple calculation! :eek: I'm no math wiz. :D

Yes, Miss Ruth - those were some closequarters. Two souls sharing in there would be tight!

Looking forward to one of those "double-wides." ;)

I thought the cabins were numbered using the alphabet. A being best and going B C D etc with them getting progressively less desireable. What logic arrives at the idea that a VT is an upgrade from a VH. I really think I missed something. I'm booked on a Eurodam VF guarantee and I am now really confused.

donh, I don't think you are confused; HAL seems to be the confused party in this ;)

Wow that pic IS worth 1,000 words!

Yeah, that pic is something else. HAL needs to make this more clear on their website that they consider this to be a "better" cabin. I wonder what marketing VP came to that conclusion. As a bean counter I don't want to be blamed for that:D:eek:.

I thought the cabins were numbered using the alphabet. A being best and going B C D etc with them getting progressively less desireable. What logic arrives at the idea that a VT is an upgrade from a VH. I really think I missed something. I'm booked on a Eurodam VF guarantee and I am now really confused.
On the Vista ships it's nice and clean and simple that way: VA highest to VH lowest.

Originally the 12 deck 11 cabins were not going to get any kind of balcony. They were just going to have floor-to-ceiling windows like the deck 5 G to HH outsides, and be designated as "TI" cabins. (Why TI, I don't know.) My guess is that when they decided to stick on the balconettes the "T" was carried over to make it VT. Somebody decided they could charge more than for a VF or VH because of their location, I guess, and stuck them in between VE and VF.

Also with the introduction of the Sig ships things got complicated when they moved the SS off deck 8 and instead put in verandah cabins that were 7 ft deep and in a "better" location than the 6 ft deep VA, so naturally these had to go above VA. Thus the plain V designation.

Next they introduced "spa" verandah cabins, and couldn't go higher than plain V, so these got labeled VQ. These cost more than any other Vx even though they only have a 4 ft deep balcony like the deck 5 VE and VF!!

On the Vista ships it's nice and clean and simple that way: VA highest to VH lowest.

Originally the 12 deck 11 cabins were not going to get any kind of balcony. They were just going to have floor-to-ceiling windows like the deck 5 G to HH outsides, and be designated as "TI" cabins. (Why TI, I don't know.) My guess is that when they decided to stick on the balconettes the "T" was carried over to make it VT. Somebody decided they could charge more than for a VF or VH because of their location, I guess, and stuck them in between VE and VF.

Also with the introduction of the Sig ships things got complicated when they moved the SS off deck 8 and instead put in verandah cabins that were 7 ft deep and in a "better" location than the 6 ft deep VA, so naturally these had to go above VA. Thus the plain V designation.

Next they introduced "spa" verandah cabins, and couldn't go higher than plain V, so these got labeled VQ. These cost more than any other Vx even though they only have a 4 ft deep balcony like the deck 5 VE and VF!!

This is good info. You were the one that made me aware just recently about these cabins. I had NO idea they existed. On the HAL website they appear to be a lesser cat. then the VH. That's just stupid IMO.

Archived