Dressed up characters on board

ovkerf

Hello

Could you let me know if Princess cruises have characters walking around the ship for the kids on board.

Thanks.

Define "characters". Just kidding! Normally, they do not have characters walking around the ship like DCL or NCL (on their themed cruises).

I just got off the Sapphire Princess to Alaska, and they did have characters. On certain port days, and our one scenic cruising day, they had characters available for pictures with passengers. Usually they were located where you get off the ship, and one day (the scenic cruising of Tracy Arm) they were up on deck. All of the characters were associated with Alaska (moose, orca, eagle, bear) so I am unsure if they are on other cruises.

I just got off the Sapphire Princess to Alaska, and they did have characters. On certain port days, and our one scenic cruising day, they had characters available for pictures with passengers. Usually they were located where you get off the ship, and one day (the scenic cruising of Tracy Arm) they were up on deck. All of the characters were associated with Alaska (moose, orca, eagle, bear) so I am unsure if they are on other cruises.

This is a good point, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of "characters" the OP (or the member of her party) were concerned about.

To clarify for the OP, at some ports when you disembark, they will have members of the ship's crew (usually cruise director and/or entertainer staff) dress up in costumes appropriate to the port standing at or near the bottom of the gang plank for a photo op. For instance, in the Caribbean, they may be dressed as a pirate and "wench" or in Mexican garb. I don't recall how they were made up in Alaska. And, depending on the ship/crew members, they may or may not be relatively easy to side-step if you're not interested in having your picture taken with them.

Not sure if this would be of concern to your travel companion.

But, they do NOT have people wandering around the ship like this on any kind of regular basis.

Only once on all of my cruises and I don't remember what he was. It was a Christmas sailing and it was an event where a lot of kids were at (Christmas gathering, reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas".

I think for the most part - you are safe compared to other lines.

When I read this post my first thought was, No, Princess has too much class for that.

But then I remembered all of the characters at port disembarkation, both inside and outside of the ship. And some of them can extremely annoying and pushy, too.

And one night there were pirates in the dining room.

I guess Princess isn't too classy for cheesy stunts!:o

Last year when disembarking the Emerald in port, I declined to have my picture taken with one of those 'pirates'. I was grabbed around the neck with one arm while the other held a 'sword' to my throat.

Now I have a phobia!

A pirate once grabbed me. He will think differently the next time he attempts to grab a woman.

Thanks, one of our party has a bit of a phobia of these.

Thanks very much for your help, really appreciate it.

I understand your situation very well.

My DD now 20 was petrified of characters in costumes til she was about 6 .

The only time in all her years of school that she faked being sick was the day McGruff the Crime Dog ( policeman in a costume) was scheduled to come give a talk.

We didn't even think of doing Disney World (much to the chagrin of my other kids ) til she was well over it.

To clarify, it is the TV/film related characters that wander around deck which are the big issue.

That's what I figured, but when I saw jac1976's post, it occurred to me that you might like more information on these other "characters" as well. I personally don't have much of a problem with them but, as you have read here, some people find them extremely annoying. But, you don't have to worry about turning a corner and running into Tigger or the Tasmanian Devil or anything like that. ;)

I hope you and your group have a wonderful cruise! :D

Sorry, but IMHO, these 'characters' at dinner and when getting off the ship are just 'cheesy' and I can definitely do without any of this, and often bypass them with a simple 'no thank you'.
I understand that they have a job to do and probably have a quota, but like you, I brush past them with a murmured "No, thank you," even when boarding at embarkation. They used to be far more aggressive, going through the dining room to every table and/or blocking the exit from the dining room to force you to have a photo taken. Haven't seen that in years. I hate when they block the gangway and slow disembarkation when you're in port. That really bugs me. I know some people like a photo taken on the gangway with the ship in the background but IMHO, they don't have the right to block me or make me wait. If they really want that photo, Princess should set up a time when most passengers aren't disembarking.

on some ships (where the photographers are more agressive), i've found its much easier to say 'sure', take the picture and be on my way. i don't have to buy them or even look at them and it takes less time than fighting with them!

The best are those that take formal and beach wear to the extreme and expose when they shouldn't. For the kids and characters Princess would be out of character for that!

Princess does do the stupid port act the last time I sailed but I wouldn't call that the traditional character thing.

Hello

Could you let me know if Princess cruises have characters walking around the ship for the kids on board.

Thanks.

I understand your situation very well.

My DD now 20 was petrified of characters in costumes til she was about 6 .

The only time in all her years of school that she faked being sick was the day McGruff the Crime Dog ( policeman in a costume) was scheduled to come give a talk.

We didn't even think of doing Disney World (much to the chagrin of my other kids ) til she was well over it.

This is why I mentioned the eagle/bear/whale. Until last year my daughter would start screaming and crying the minute she saw anything in a furry costume. She was absolutely petrified. She got over it in time for our Disney cruise (where I expected to see characters and prepared her for it) but I did not think I'd see anything like it on the Princess cruise. We always got off the ship as soon as it docked, so many times the people weren't in their costumes yet so it wasn't an issue.

Archived