Any advantage to pre-reserving shows?

gr82cu2

There's no compelling reason to have to keep track of every second on your vacation! The shows revolve around the main dining times, so if you do traditional dining, you're all set. If you do MTD, you'll have to schedule your eating times around whichever show you'd like to go to that night.

I don't completely agree with CB's answer in the case of ships such as Oasis and Allure--and now evidently Freedom. On ships that allow a process for pre-reserving shows, I think you should make the reservations if the show is at all important to you.

Here's what happens if you don't reserve really popular shows--the passengers with reservations are allowed to enter first, hence they get the best seats. Those without reservations must stand in line. Ten minutes before the show, those in the stand by line are allowed to enter a few at a time until the seats are filled.

At small venues such as the Comedy Club, it is not at all unusual for half the stand by line to be turned away because as soon as all seats are taken, no one else can enter. I don't now if Freedom has a Comedy Club now, but if Freedom is allowing reservations --perhaps for ice skating shows, for example, I would definitely make reservations to avoid disappointment or at least waiting in a long stand by line. Of course, if you are not really enthusiastic about a particular show you don't need to reserve your place.

Thank you for your replies. Do you know if they deliver tickets to our room for these? Like they do with excursions?

My experience is on the Oasis and from reading posts here - no you don't get tickets. They enter the data on your Seapass and scan it when you enter the theater.

I am a fan of pre-reserving but understand those opposed to planning on you are on vacation. I am a big planner and realize many people don't want to plan anything while on vacation.

You can always change or cancel a reservation and still show up and stand in line. Some shows fill quickly and you could end up missing something you want to see.

On the Oasis and Allure they only offer each show a limited number of times and if you wait you may not see it the night/time you want to.

Just MHO

We pre reserved our shows for Oasis in april and were glad we did because only 2 people that was waiting out side the comedy club got in and there were about 30 in line. And like they mentioned before you dont have to go the day you reserve you can cancel but if you do you get better seats since you are let in first.

I was on Alllure in May and due to booking only a month out I was not able to reserve before leaving home. I thought I would just show up to the shows I wanted to see and I could get in. Some I could and others I could not. Since I wanted to ensure I was able to get good seats and see every show I wanted I did book shows for my cruise on Oasis coming up. Right when you board the first day you can reserve as well. Both the shows and speciality dining fill up fast.

Ok, thanks everyone for your help :) I'm generally a fan of winging it when on vacation and not have to be so structured but I think we will pick out the shows we most want to see and reserve them so we can be sure and get a seat.

People who don't have reservations often start queueing up about 45-60 minutes before showtime, with no guarantee of getting in. Much more inconveninet than making reservations, IMO. Remember, if you have a reservation, you don't have to show up. So, you are no worse off than if you didn't make them.

On a Freedom class ship, not sure that I would worry about it. On an Oasis class ship, yes I would reserve my shows in advance. If not you're going to be standing in a long line waiting to get in. It takes five minutes to reserve on line and you do not have to keep track of your every second on vacation. It's actually a relief to know that you have your shows reserved.;)

Actually, a couple of people have said that pre-booking was worth it.

My question for those that have had stayed in GS and above, do they let Gold card holders in without pre-booking? We're in a GS in Oct and rather than pre-booking and taking seats someone else can use, I've been trying to get the answer for sure to this question. Anyone know?

I have been on Freedom twice before we could pre book the shows. One time was during the High Seas Rally Oct-Nov 2010 and the second time was Spring Break in April this year.

My opinion is the the Freedom did not need to go to this system because I had no trouble getting into any of the shows on both cruises. Even had good balcony seats walking in less than 10 minutes.

Archived