Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard Glacier

tiffnco

Hi everyone!

I have been tasked with finding the ideal cruise for our party of 10 for a 2012 Alaskan cruise. We need to find the right blend of ship for all (from 8 - 71 years old). My mother-in-law (who's treating everyone) wants to go into Glacier Bay (which I've done before and loved) but it looks like it's only Princess and HAL that have the permits to go there.

I do think that RCCL or X might be a better fit for the kids...and am just wondering how different Hubbard Glacier is from Glacier Bay. Are we missing a lot if we don't get a ship that goes to GB?

Thanks!

Having been to both on a few occasions, IMV there is not a lot to choose between the two. With Hubbard you will be impressed with the sheer mass of it, its height and size and remember it is made up of several glaciers that come together....there is also more likelihood of calving. Glacier Bay is very beautiful and not to be discounted. It's a difficult decision to make but there is no wrong decision.

Our favorite hands down is Glacier Bay. Hubbard is a massive glacier, no doubt, but we much prefered our day in Glacier Bay. The glaciers there are not as massive, but the nine hour cruising experience appealed to us far more than Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay and Hubbard are the two premier glacier viewing areas on the Alaska cruise route. As said, you really can't go wrong. I suggest you take the Princess southbound and see both. ;)

If you read on the HAL and Princess Boards, you will find many who were very pleased with the kids programs. I am quite sure you can meet your MIL's wishes and satisfy the cruising needs of the children. We had dinner one evening with a young boy about 7-8 and he hurriedly finished his dinner so he could get back to the HAL kid's club. His family said he was loving it!! Another family on our roll call brought a teenager and she was loving the teen club on HAL. Don't be too close-minded about HAL and Princess. No, you won't find climbing walls, bowling etc on HAL at least, but many children seem to enjoy the cruise. Whichever line you decide on going with, I would highly recommend taking the children to the library to get out books on Alaska. If that is not possible, then buy them some Alaska b books as gifts. When children learn more about where they are going they will be more excited once they get there. Make them responsible for some of the planning. Everyone will have a better trip with them involved.

Also, you missed out on NCL. At least in the past, they have had some itineraries that go to Glacier Bay.

We just did an inside passage cruise on HAL Zuiderdam with a family group of 10 similar to yours (my reviews are on my blog). Ages 1 to 78, and everyone had a wonderful time. We have taken the Infinity before, to Hubbard Glacier, but unfortunately the day we were supposed to go there the ship could not make it even close to the glacier, due to the amount of ice in the water, and so we got to look at the beautiful green water and a couple of small icebergs instead. Fortunately, we did that cruise BEFORE we did the HAL cruise, and we had no idea what we were missing by not seeing a glacier up close! This time around on HAL, Glacier Bay day was totally awesome! I really liked Celebrity and can't wait to take them again, but for Alaska, I highly recommend HAL, the itinerary can't be beat, and the ship's food and service, etc are extremely good, comparable to Celebrity. I think the kids clubs are pretty comparable too.

Good luck!

Hi everyone!

I have been tasked with finding the ideal cruise for our party of 10 for a 2012 Alaskan cruise. We need to find the right blend of ship for all (from 8 - 71 years old). My mother-in-law (who's treating everyone) wants to go into Glacier Bay (which I've done before and loved) but it looks like it's only Princess and HAL that have the permits to go there.

I do think that RCCL or X might be a better fit for the kids...and am just wondering how different Hubbard Glacier is from Glacier Bay. Are we missing a lot if we don't get a ship that goes to GB?

Thanks!

Personally, either Glacier Bay or Hubbard would be fine. What I did want to note is that I know others who were on a different cruise line than Backstage Traveler and they too couldn't get into Hubbard Glacier on another cruise earlier this summer due to the same reason. So, I am not sure whether or not that is potentially a challenge.

As to the children, Princess has an excellent children's program and I would easily recommend it. I would also recommend Celebrity's but personally think that Princess has a better program but both are good. Of course you'll have good programs with the other two lines you mentioned.

Since your Mother In Law is treating and really wants Glacier Bay, and Princess does have a nice program I would go with Princess.

Keith

We also got iced out of Hubbard Glacier a few years ago. I have never heard of a ship getting iced out of Glacier Bay.

I have done both RCCL and Princess in Alaska and Princess does a much better job in Alaska. There probably is a reason why HAL and Princess have such a good reputation in Alaska as RCCL was a disappointment in many ways.

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

I would think if you MIL is paying for the trip and wants Glacier Bay, then that is it. :) I would not make a selection based on the kids. :) And most important, both Princess and HAL offer plenty of kids activities, of which are going to similar to any line sailing Alaska. The kids will have a great time, no matter what cruise they go on. Key is their involvement and getting their feed back on the port touring. It is quite and adventure. :)

NCL also has Glacier Bay permits and Carnival has begining and end of season Glacier Bay itineraries.

We have been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard many times.

We really love Hubbard the best because the ice is so much bluer -- and in the past we have seen much more calving there than in Glacier Bay on our cruises.

But unfortunately this year we were not even able to get close to Hubbard at all -- didn't even see any calving in the distance. That is just what happens sometimes.

Archived