Three Star Mariners Get Higher Prices?!

Megsie1000

It seems you fall into a 'special discount group' for that cruise and your Mom and Dad do not.

Maybe it is for those with your number of Mariners days and not as many as your parents have?

Maybe it is for people in your age range?

It does seem to be attached to a demographic into which you fit but your parents do not.

Thanks for sharing all the info with us.

It is interesting to follow.

I am sure it is something to do with the demographic or some other mysterious quality I possess. :) However, this still doesn't explain why HAL agents themselves can't even find my rates when they use MY mariner number, KWIM? One of them even claimed they were using the public website and searching. I don't get that. LOL

For instance, for our J cabin, I can get 1600 something for the four of us (can't remember the precise number), but the lowest fare reduction they could find was $100 more than that. And that was with me sitting right there with the TA showing her the screen on my iPhone where I was doing a price search live. HAL just basically told her that rate didn't exist as far as they were concerned, so they couldn't give it to me. :confused: The same was true when the TA tried to do a new booking. Still ended up with a $1700 price.

$100 is one thing. It's probably not worth it to us to re-book. We don't have HAL insurance, so that makes it easier, but I do have the cabana issue and for $100 I will probably just let it go. $100 is a lot to us, but not the end of the world.

I am more concerned about the $500 difference on the suite b/c that is quite a lot of dosh. My Mom, Dad + my nephew premiums combined is around $475 (HAL cancellation - I don't know why they got that). Therefore, it's probably not worth it for them to rebook. I still think it is worth pursuing the OBC, though, because they'll burn through $500 no problem. Tips alone eat up half of that. :D

We will go back to the TA tomorrow. This time I have to drag my 3-year old along, so I don't know how that will go. LOL Gotta try, I guess.

DH and I are 1-star mariners. They are 3-star.

Just to clarify, cabin configuration and everything was the same. We have two adults & two children in our cabin and so do they.

Do they have 3 or 4 in their cabin? You said 4, but last post only indicates your nephew (3 persons). I know that is not it, or someone would have figured it out by now. I hope you took a screen shot and emailed it to HAL.

Here is what I tried to do tonight.

With my apparently magical super-powered Mariner number that can find rates that the TA and HAL can't find, :mad: I did a search tonight for Eurodam 1/14/12 7-day Eastern Caribbean. Sure enough, I got my low rate. Total quoted for the cabin for Me, my DH, DD and DS was $4831.20 for an SA cabin.

And to answer somebody's question above, I did it tonight on my mom's computer, so a totally different computer, to test out the "cookie" theory. I was still able to get the low rate.

It went through at the low price ($4831) and I even got an email confirmation with the price and a booking number. At least I know I'm not crazy. We compared it line by line with my Dad's reservation. I even requested and got the cabin next to him to prove that it is exactly the same category and even the same location.

I am completely dumbfounded as to what to do next. I have the hold for 24 hours. I could take in in with us and say "I want this price for my parents" but it's not in their name, so we can't just transfer the reservation.

I suppose we could do something where I book it with my Mom or something and Dad moves in with my DH and then we just shift around when we get on the ship, but that sounds very complicated and annoying. LOL Plus, that still doesn't solve the problem of the HAL insurance for them. If they lose the premium on the cancellation and/or can't apply it to the new reservation, that pretty much wipes out any savings they would get by trying for the new rate, if that makes sense.

Sorry this is so complicated. I am hoping somebody can learn from this or that maybe somebody has some magical solution. it is very frustrating to see that lower rate right there in black and white and not be able to attain it.

When I log in and try to book 1/14 on the Eurodam, I get $5,431.20 for 4 pax in an SA, which is $600.00 more than you found. That is $2,500.00 per person base (before taxes and fees) for pax 1 and 2, and $49.00 per person for pax 3 and 4.

What is you age range? It sounds like you are getting a lower rate based on a younger age (Note that I am under age 50).

The HAL agent couldn't even figure out where I was getting the numbers from. For the 1/14/12 Eurodam Eastern Caribbean I have a window open on my computer right this second that quotes me $4,831.20 for an SA suite. That includes two adults, two children. Base fare for the adults is $2,199 and the kids are $49 plus taxes and port fees for a total of $4,831.20.

The lowest fare HAL would give us with any combo of mariner numbers, different agents, etc was base fare of $2,449 for adults, kids still $49 for a total of $5,331.20 after taxes and port fees. So, exactly $500 more.

I want to know how HAL is getting their over the phone rate, which is $100.00 less than I get on-line. Are they allowed to give $50.00 off per person (first two passengers) just by asking?

Do they have 3 or 4 in their cabin? You said 4, but last post only indicates your nephew (3 persons). I know that is not it, or someone would have figured it out by now. I hope you took a screen shot and emailed it to HAL.

Sorry for the confusion. They have a quad, too.

The mention of the nephew was for purposes of the insurance. There are 4 kids going on the trip. 3 of them are mine (the whole family of 5 problem), so one of mine is in my parents' cabin. Her fare is covered under OUR insurance policy, though, so it doesn't matter to me if they cancel or re-book or whatever. Plus her fare is only $49, so it's not worth it to pay $79 for HAL cancellation insurance. :p

When I log in and try to book 1/14 on the Eurodam, I get $5,431.20 for 4 pax in an SA, which is $600.00 more than you found. That is $2,500.00 per person base (before taxes and fees) for pax 1 and 2, and $49.00 per person for pax 3 and 4.

What is you age range? It sounds like you are getting a lower rate based on a younger age (Note that I am under age 50).

I am in my late 30's.

Weird that your rate is even higher than the one they quoted my Dad. He is in his late 80's.

My Mom is only in her 60's in case anybody is having trouble doing the math. LOL

Just something else to throw in the mix.....

I am not sure if it affects the algorithm that the HAL computer uses to spit out a price, but in the past, my TA has told me that she can sometimes get a better fare for people who have a history of spending $$$ on the cruise ship.

Sorry for the confusion. They have a quad, too.

The mention of the nephew was for purposes of the insurance. There are 4 kids going on the trip. 3 of them are mine (the whole family of 5 problem), so one of mine is in my parents' cabin. Her fare is covered under OUR insurance policy, though, so it doesn't matter to me if they cancel or re-book or whatever. Plus her fare is only $49, so it's not worth it to pay $79 for HAL cancellation insurance. :p

Somehow it seems to me that if your parents rebook the same cruise that HAL might allow the insurance to transfer.

Or as Lisa (screen name: LAFFNVEGAS) who is a TA has mentioned on other threads, ask for the booking to be refared. That way you keep the same booking number.

Do you live in different states ?? Are you military or in the airline/travel industry ?? Sometimes there are different prices depending on where you live and occupation. Your TA should be able to sort this out. Hope you get to save some $$$.

Why does HAL care what state you live in? When booking, that question always baffles me, especially when we decline the HAL air.

Somehow it seems to me that if your parents rebook the same cruise that HAL might allow the insurance to transfer.

Or as Lisa (screen name: LAFFNVEGAS) who is a TA has mentioned on other threads, ask for the booking to be refared. That way you keep the same booking number.

We have already refared both cabins for a slightly lower price, but we still couldn't get HAL to refare for the lowest price because they couldn't even find that rate.

I'll ask today about transferring the insurance, although I think technically they don't have to do that.

Just something else to throw in the mix.....

I am not sure if it affects the algorithm that the HAL computer uses to spit out a price, but in the past, my TA has told me that she can sometimes get a better fare for people who have a history of spending $$$ on the cruise ship.

Um, that wouldn't be me. We're always on a budget because only one of us works (I stay home with the kids for now while they're little). My parents aren't high rollers, either, but they probably spend more on things like shore excursions or extra meals than we do. None of us gamble. We're not very attractive to the cruise industry at all, probably, except that we love to travel, so we are likely to go in the first place.

We have already refared both cabins for a slightly lower price, but we still couldn't get HAL to refare for the lowest price because they couldn't even find that rate.

I'll ask today about transferring the insurance, although I think technically they don't have to do that.

Did you purchase HAL's insurance or an outside provider from your TA?

Here is what I tried to do tonight.

With my apparently magical super-powered Mariner number that can find rates that the TA and HAL can't find, :mad: I did a search tonight for Eurodam 1/14/12 7-day Eastern Caribbean. Sure enough, I got my low rate. Total quoted for the cabin for Me, my DH, DD and DS was $4831.20 for an SA cabin.

When you have your booking all sorted out, can you look up the price for my next cruise.:D:D:D. Just kidding.;)

We are most definitely not a port state. LMAO

OK, so I am SO pleased to report that we were finally successful today. I am doing the happy dance! :D

Our success was due in no small part to the advice I was given here, so thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last night I got a "hold" on the low fare rate for the SA suite, printed out the confirmation with the lower price that HAL emailed to me and took it into the TA. It had a confirmation/booking code so hopefully somebody at HAL could look it up. Unfortunately, it was in our names and not my parents, so I wasn't sure how that would work. I told her I wanted to show that I'm not crazy that this fare does exist and that we wanted to try this one last ditch effort to get them to give my parents that rate for the suite.

Oh, when I was on the computer last night I linked our "hold" with my parents' existing reservation so that HAL could see the two reservations together with the very big price difference ($500 for the same category cabin, same location, etc).

TA called them up and said "look at these two booking numbers and see the price difference? We want to know why you can't give them both the same price." After lots of hemming and hawing, they finally relented and gave my parents' the low price. CHEER! The agent was not forthcoming re why the fare couldn't be found yesterday or why my parents were not able to get the same rate with their mariner numbers. I suspect that once they had the booking number with the low fare in front of them (the "hold") they could see a specific booking code that perhaps they weren't even aware was available? I don't know, but I am just happy it was resolved.

To put a cherry on top of the whole thing, they also reduced our cabin another $100 so I am now down to the low fare that I could see for that J cabin, too. Overall our cabin is down $480 from two days ago and my parents' cabin is down $1000. Woohoo.

I am not sure whether they just refared it or made a new reservation, but we both ended up with new booking numbers, so I wonder if they had to transfer everything over to a new booking to get that rate. My cabana reservation remains in place. I am very satisfied.

Thanks for sticking with me through this weird process. LOL I really do appreciate all the advice and thoughts shared. Thanks again.

Now I told my Dad we have to keep watching in case the fares go down again, although I suspect they will probably go up instead. I have a feeling the TA will probably hate me by the end of the process. ;)

OK, so I am SO pleased to report that we were finally successful today. I am doing the happy dance! :D

Our success was due in no small part to the advice I was given here, so thank you, thank you, thank you!

Last night I got a "hold" on the low fare rate for the SA suite, printed out the confirmation with the lower price that HAL emailed to me and took it into the TA. It had a confirmation/booking code so hopefully somebody at HAL could look it up. Unfortunately, it was in our names and not my parents, so I wasn't sure how that would work. I told her I wanted to show that I'm not crazy that this fare does exist and that we wanted to try this one last ditch effort to get them to give my parents that rate for the suite.

Oh, when I was on the computer last night I linked our "hold" with my parents' existing reservation so that HAL could see the two reservations together with the very big price difference ($500 for the same category cabin, same location, etc).

TA called them up and said "look at these two booking numbers and see the price difference? We want to know why you can't give them both the same price." After lots of hemming and hawing, they finally relented and gave my parents' the low price. CHEER! The agent was not forthcoming re why the fare couldn't be found yesterday or why my parents were not able to get the same rate with their mariner numbers. I suspect that once they had the booking number with the low fare in front of them (the "hold") they could see a specific booking code that perhaps they weren't even aware was available? I don't know, but I am just happy it was resolved.

To put a cherry on top of the whole thing, they also reduced our cabin another $100 so I am now down to the low fare that I could see for that J cabin, too. Overall our cabin is down $480 from two days ago and my parents' cabin is down $1000. Woohoo.

I am not sure whether they just refared it or made a new reservation, but we both ended up with new booking numbers, so I wonder if they had to transfer everything over to a new booking to get that rate. My cabana reservation remains in place. I am very satisfied.

Thanks for sticking with me through this weird process. LOL I really do appreciate all the advice and thoughts shared. Thanks again.

Now I told my Dad we have to keep watching in case the fares go down again, although I suspect they will probably go up instead. I have a feeling the TA will probably hate me by the end of the process. ;)

I guess persistence pays off. Glad you got it all sorted out. That is a huge price difference for you and your parents. Now you will have more money to spend on vacation. Enjoy the trip, you have earned it!!

I am so happy that this all worked out for you. Funny, but after our back and forth last night, I discovered a similar situation---using what I guess is a duplicate Mariner # (certainly not issued at our request) that arrived on a mailing--it also appeared to have the ability to pull magical rates. I went in to check our current cruise prices and discovered over $1,000. difference in the fares. So it appears that HAL offers very special fares to entice people with no or few cruises with them. Isn't that special? And for their long time guests, oh yes the Mariner Perks!!!! I am so not impressed!!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise......

I am so happy that this all worked out for you. Funny, but after our back and forth last night, I discovered a similar situation---using what I guess is a duplicate Mariner # (certainly not issued at our request) that arrived on a mailing--it also appeared to have the ability to pull magical rates. I went in to check our current cruise prices and discovered over $1,000. difference in the fares. So it appears that HAL offers very special fares to entice people with no or few cruises with them. Isn't that special? And for their long time guests, oh yes the Mariner Perks!!!! I am so not impressed!!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise......

Remember that somebody with 3 or 4 stars (can't remember) on this thread was able to pull the magical rate, too, so I don't know whether it is all down to how many stars.

Can you get the new rate for yourself doing the same thing I did?

I have been following your thread and I am SO happy for you! Woo Hoo! :D (I tried to look up fares with DH's number (1*) to no avail... the prices went up!)

Remember that somebody with 3 or 4 stars (can't remember) on this thread was able to pull the magical rate, too, so I don't know whether it is all down to how many stars.

No, I don't think that what you did to get your rate will work with us. I will think on it for a while and see what I can come up with. Unfortunately, we keep encountering situations such as these which is how we have learned to navigate the HAL waters. But, frankly I am getting a little tired of it and may start to shop around elsewhere......

In any event, have a great time on your cruise---you have earned it!

You're right.

We are four star Mariners and I found the low rate when I searched on Monday night.

Archived