Closet space in adjoining rooms.

CR dude

I have booked VE cabin 5120 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is an adjoining room – I did not book it for that reason but for its general location. It now occurs to me that I may have lost closet space or ????. Anyone one know?

Jim and Flora in Costa Rica

It is an adjoining room – I did not book it for that reason but for its general location. It now occurs to me that I may have lost closet space or ????. Anyone one know?

No loss of closet space. The door is at the end of the closets, in what is a blank wall in non-adjoining cabins.

I have booked VE cabin 5120 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is an adjoining room – I did not book it for that reason but for its general location. It now occurs to me that I may have lost closet space or ????. Anyone one know?

Error . . . . make that cabin 5126

Jim

For what it's worth, I have had extensive conversations with Seattle about closet space in adjoing cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and I have been told that adjoining cabins lose one closet.

Several months ago, I discovered by a CC post that there are adjoining cabins not marked as such on the website deck plans (when they created the website deck plan for the NA, they assumed the ship was identical to the Eurodam) and through contact with Seattle who actually had Guest Relations on board visit cabins, these adjoining cabins were discovered.

As of today, these deck plans have not been updated.

For what it's worth, I have had extensive conversations with Seattle about closet space in adjoing cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and I have been told that adjoining cabins lose one closet.
Well ... in the only adjoining cabin we ever had there were the normal three closets, but that wasn't on the N.A. :confused:

Several months ago, I discovered by a CC post that there are adjoining cabins not marked as such on the website deck plans (when they created the website deck plan for the NA, they assumed the ship was identical to the Eurodam) and through contact with Seattle who actually had Guest Relations on board visit cabins, these adjoining cabins were discovered.

have to agree as to the stateroom plans - ours wasn't showing as connecting and was - however there was no change in the closets. the door was on the other side (don't know if it affected their closets though) ;)

This makes no sense at all. I do believe you. It's HAL (or the architect, or Fincantieri) that's ridiculous. :rolleyes: On Noordam's V-category cabins at least, the connecting doors are opposite the bed, after you pass thru the short little hallway with the bathroom on 1 side & the 3 closets on the other. Nothing is lost, except that the handle for the connecting door sticks out maybe 2". :eek:

I guess cabins that are configured differently - some suites, or insides, or OVs - might have to lose something, but one would think that by now, a whole year after NA has launched, the deck plans would be correct. :confused:

Can anyone tell me about the msWesterdam connecting rooms? We're in VD category Deck 4 for the larger balconies (thank you Joanie) and will be sailing for 14 days. We are used to more than sufficient closet and shelf space on Princess, are we going to have a problem? Do I have to rethink packing? :eek:

we have always had sufficient closet space on all HAL ships. There are drawers under the bed, in the desk and in the night stands. On some ships the stool at the desk even has room in it. If you haven't enough room for suitcases the room steward will find storage for them. I guess we have found room for our belongings because we have not taken extensive cruises but then again each time we sail we take less junk. I also brought the J Magnano hangars from Target that you can hang more than one shirt on etc. Also we do laundry via the ship or handwash.

With the airlines charging so much for extra baggage, we found it is worth more $$ to us to take less.

.......There are drawers under the bed, .....

That raises another question. Is the "under bed" area completely filled with drawers or will there still be room to stow our luggage?

This changing cruise lines after all these years has me a bit discombobulated and I'd really like to be able to step aboard and settle right in without having to learn from scratch again.

Thanks!

That raises another question. Is the "under bed" area completely filled with drawers or will there still be room to stow our luggage?

The under bed drawers open from the foot of the bed, leaving plenty of space for a suitcase or two. The problem can be getting the suitcase under the bed when the aisles are narrow.

Some suitcases are to high to slide under the bed when they are closed, and there isn't sufficient space to get them under when they are open. If you're strong enough, though, lifting the bed a tad usually makes enough room to get the closed bag under.

Can anyone tell me about the msWesterdam connecting rooms? We're in VD category Deck 4 for the larger balconies (thank you Joanie) and will be sailing for 14 days. We are used to more than sufficient closet and shelf space on Princess, are we going to have a problem? Do I have to rethink packing? :eek:

We have had VD cabins (connecting) on the Zuiderdam and Eurodam - no difference in closet space compared to non-connecting cabins.

Under the the bed there is a lot of space: we places smaller bags (like carry-on) inside larger suitcases and store it under the bed. With enough room for two cases of wine we took on last time, and room for shoes.

John & I love OUR VD cabin on Noordam (4045). And yes, some of those special VDs have a larger balcony. On Deck 4, there are 4 on each side of the ship, fore & aft of the hump, for a total of 16, with verandahs that extend about an extra 1-1/2 ft. Westerdam's deck plans look very similar:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=we&deck=m

Most of the balcony is covered by the one above it, so you have some shade. But its really nice to have that extra depth, especially when you want to stand at the railing & look UP above you. The 16 cabins are also in great locations, ship-wise. Near the elevators, mid-ship(ish), above are only cabins, below 3 of the 4 sections are shops & the Promenade Deck. Below the port-aft section is part of the galley.

A lot of these VDs are marked as "triple" cabins. That's a good thing. The little sofa is really a sofa bed. Above it, instead of a painting, is a storage cupboard. John got that. Suzie got the 3rd closet all to herself. :D The nightstands are 2 drawers each. There are 2 drawers at the foot of the bed. The stool for use at the desk - that opens & you can put all kinds of things inside. You should be fine. It's always the bathrooms we find lacking. I buy an over-the-door, clear-pocket shoe organizer for the bathroom door. I've always left it onboard, gifting it to a crewmember. They are less than $10 at Walmart or Target. :)

Welcome to HAL.

Not sure about the NA, but on the Noordam, we definitely lost closet space. We had only one hanging 18" closet. Would never book that type of cabin again. Carol

Archived