packing flippers

louva

I have a rolling duffle (not carryon size) that accommodates the flippers. If you'll be doing something independent you might want to bring your stuff but you're contemplating a snorkeling excursion you might want to save of baggage space and use the excursion company's equipment.

If you really like to snorkel, you know that properly fitted flippers are a whole lot easier on you over time. When I am going scuba diving, I put all of my diving equipment in a separate duffel. With just flippers and perhaps your mask and snorkel, put the flippers in the bottom of your suitcase -- they are close enough to flat. You can always invert one against the other to minimize lost space. If you are taking your own mask, I would put it among the clothing, and put a T-shirt inside to fill up the mask, and some T-shirts, etc., around it.

I always prefer my own flippers, mask and snorkel. when i book a cruise that will involve snorkeling, I just factor in the price of a checked piece of luggage. I use the bag to pack my snorkel equipment, my wifes and our shoes and water shoes. That way i have more room in my carry-on suitcase and no worries about ill-fitting, blister inducing snorkel fins. :)

One other thing. Can you carry them on? Put them in the overhead? I want to bring my own. For many reasons. But I am such a bad packer. I take way to much. So there being room in my checked baggage may not happen :rolleyes:

Too much twitching and I forgot to answer the question...

OP...are you planning on diving or snorkeling often? Otherwise, I would not bother packing my own fins unless it was a SCUBA trip and I was diving everyday. They're just too big and take up too much room.

With that said, I have seen backpack type bags specifically designed for snorkel gear which may help you. Sport Chek or any large sporting store has them.

Personally, I'd pack my own snorkel...the thought of putting my mouth on a rental...yuck.

Enjoy your trip and dont forget the underwater camera!

I've packed them in the bottom of a suitcase and I've carried a separate duffel - either works.

However, since you only snorkel for a short time at each stop on a snorkel excursion...maybe an hour at each stop (not sure of the time)... I now pack only my snorkel and mask and use their fins. I've never had a problem and I dive down to 30 feet while snorkeling and have swam against a fairly strong current while snorkeling - with their fins.

When I snorkel on my own I want my fins because I'm out there longer.

My .02 we take our snorkels, masks, & fins. We'll book a guided tour (or 2) every cruise & in the rest of the ports we'll snorkel from shore on our own.

Being able to Snorkel where we want, when we want, & for as long as we want makes taking our own gear a priority

PS. Love the orange high heel fins!

I use the SHORT fins which I even cut a little shorter so they fit in my carry-on.

Yes we only take a carry-on and a small pack each to travel anywhere. I stuff the fins and mask full of small stuff sox etc. It is realy amazing that after the cameras, computer etc. that I can get any clothes in the case.

If it doesn't fit in I don't need it!

I use the SHORT fins which I even cut a little shorter so they fit in my carry-on.

Yes we only take a carry-on and a small pack each to travel anywhere. I stuff the fins and mask full of small stuff sox etc. It is realy amazing that after the cameras, computer etc. that I can get any clothes in the case.

If it doesn't fit in I don't need it!

Carry-on and a small pack each??? :eek:

I am sure this is only for one nighter and not for a cruise.

Archived