Just another coffee question

Crusing Nut

I have read on these threads that Celebrity coffee is pretty nasty. Is it too strong? Too weak? Brand?

I have finally talked hubby into a French Coffee Press but he thinks I am nuts... help!

If the coffee was stronger it might be better. The coffee at the buffet is bad, very bland. The room service and MDR was ok not great. This was on the Summit.

Coffee is very good on Celebrity. It does vary occasionally sometimes a little stronger than other times, but never had a bad cup.

The best coffee (free) on the ships seems to be at the Spa Cafe. And there are to go cups next to the urn.

:) It's pretty clear that "good coffee" is even more subjective than "good food!" When my parents come to visit me for a few days I have to bring out another coffeepot and go buy some Folger's because to them my usual Starbucks or Seattle's Best is awful. Likewise when I go to visit them they have to drag out an extra coffeepot for me and get a package of Starbucks because I think their weak Folger's is awful! Although as a frequent business traveler I've managed to disguise my poor night's sleep with all sorts of grades and varieties of coffees and lived to tell the tale, so I'm sure I'll survive Celebrity's coffee. :)

Yes, they have cups w/lids.

IMHO the coffee is (free) very bad. Last cruise, I bought the classic non-alcoholic drink package and drank only coffee from the Cafe Al Bacio (sp?). It was always excellent and so were the teas. To me, it was well worth it.;)

Coffee at buffet, do they have paper/foam containers with lids, like to bring coffee back to our room during the day?

Yes, they do have take-away cups and lids...though depending on the length of the cruise they might run out (at least they did on my last 2 cruises of 12 and 14 nights).

I personally don't like the coffee I find it weak with an undertone of stale.

Agree. The bigger and bolder the better. Hard to get sometimes without being bitter. DW and I loved the coffee in Istanbul but the locals could not believe we wanted it black with no sugar. Trouble there is about a third of the cup is sediment.

I have read on these threads that Celebrity coffee is pretty nasty. Is it too strong? Too weak? Brand?...

I'm one of those that really dislikes the no-extra-charge coffee. I'm not sure I can tell you exactly why as I'm not good at describing things but I know what I like and their coffee isn't it.

They did improve the coffee a couple years ago. I think they switched from a liquid concentrate to brewed coffee but I'm not sure of that. All I can say that on a scale of 1 to 10, with 5 being barely acceptable they improved from about a 1 to something between a 3 and a 5. Unfortunately we've found the coffee very inconsistent in all locations so you never know if you'll get something poor quality but drinkable or completely bad. Again this is my own opinion and taste.

I'd say that it is often bitter, perhaps too strong at times. Diluting it helps if it is too strong but then you just have weak terrible coffee instead of strong terrible coffee. Sometimes in the buffet it is drinkable if I add a lot of milk & sweetener but it still isn't all that great.

I doubt that they use a brand anyone has heard of. I'd guess they're buying institutional unbranded beans from a producer or importer.

We used to bring our own coffee pot for the cabin until they put those on the "do not bring" list along with irons, illegal drugs, guns and explosives.

Now we just bring a coffee press and our own coffee. We have a nice Bodum Coffee press we bought on Amazon - it is a 32 oz model with a shatterproof beaker. Those are very nice but a pain to clean out in the cabin.

Agree. The bigger and bolder the better. Hard to get sometimes without being bitter. DW and I loved the coffee in Istanbul but the locals could not believe we wanted it black with no sugar. Trouble there is about a third of the cup is sediment.

The bigger and bolder here too. Weak coffee is a "no-no" or should I say colored water is a 'no-no'? :D

I have found that the coffe is what I class as 'Conference coffee', just plain nasty. I am no connoissour but I know what I like. I bring along sachets of coffee (cappocinos/latte, etc.), and just add to boiled water.

We also get the premium package and get coffees from the Cafe' much better, (or Baileys as an alternative).

cheers Mic:D and Rosie

As was said, coffee taste is highly subjective. I find that if I am used to a particular coffee, anything else will not taste 'right', that is until I've gotten 'used' to it. It's the same thing with any foods or beverages that I consume. As for coffee, I can tolerate too weak or too strong somewhat, but what I strongly dislike is coffee that has been on the burner too long and has that 'burnt' flavor....

If I have the non alcohol deluxe pkg can I take my coffee mug and will they put my double espresso in it as well as other coffee drinks? I would like to load up and take them back to cabin?

I've never seen them filling up other people's mugs but they do have take away cups. I'd guess if you wanted it in your mug they'd probably prep the coffee in their mug and then pour it into yours on the counter. No harm in asking.

I have read on these threads that Celebrity coffee is pretty nasty. Is it too strong? Too weak? Brand?

I have finally talked hubby into a French Coffee Press but he thinks I am nuts... help!

if you think you need a French press then I think you will find the ships "no extra fee" coffee not to your liking so I suggest you bring it or perhaps bring as I intend to Starbucks Via. its pretty good actually and will take less space of course.

I am right there with you! No sugar and no cream. I'll take a bit of sediment anyday if the coffee tastes good.

if you think you need a French press then I think you will find the ships "no extra fee" coffee not to your liking so I suggest you bring it or perhaps bring as I intend to Starbucks Via. its pretty good actually and will take less space of course.

The problem with bringing a french press is getting water hot enough to actually make good coffee.

Although the Starbucks instant is a good attempt at getting a better cup of coffee quick it still lacks complexity of flavor. JMO of course.

I am right there with you! No sugar and no cream. I'll take a bit of sediment anyday if the coffee tastes good.

The problem with bringing a french press is getting water hot enough to actually make good coffee.

Although the Starbucks instant is a good attempt at getting a better cup of coffee quick it still lacks complexity of flavor. JMO of course.

True. However short of bring a French press and trying to bring in your own kettle to heat up water its the next best thing. and its expedient too. We leave on the Connnie in about 6 weeks so if I want really good coffee I can get it the port stops. i would imagine Athens, Rhodos and Kusadasi will have some good coffee as well as Haifa and Ashdod. :)

...The problem with bringing a french press is getting water hot enough to actually make good coffee. ...

We found the hot water from room service surprisingly hot. Although most of the time rather than wait for room service (unless we ordered the night before) I would take the french press up to the buffet and fill with hot water there from the tap at the self serve beverage stations - it was plenty hot.

We found the hot water from room service surprisingly hot. Although most of the time rather than wait for room service (unless we ordered the night before) I would take the french press up to the buffet and fill with hot water there from the tap at the self serve beverage stations - it was plenty hot.

Great idea.

Archived