OMG!!! MY mom had her IPAD stolen!!!

lovetexas

Sorry for her loss. Too all of you flaming her for putting it in her check luggage shame on YOU. For God's sake she is 78 years old. I would not expect her to carry anything on board. And yes it is Carnivals fault. I do not care if it is their empolyees or not. They ARE the ones with the contract with the Port not her. She paid Carnival for the curise not the port. If the port is not secure then Carnival should provide the security for THEIR passengers and belongings to get on THEIR ship.

I'm not flaming and I understand she is 78 years old, but if she is a frequent traveller, then she would know not to put anything of value in checked luggage, I don't have an IPAD but I do know they do not weigh that much so it would not have been heavy to carry on, just saying...

As has been said before, trip insurance may help in this situation (it may not too, it would depend on the policy). Also how about homeowners insurance. I know mine paid when my scanner got run over by a train.

Doc

Doc, you are supposed to put a penny on the tracks, not a scanner;):cool:.

OP, sorry to hear about your mom's problem. As others have said maybe travel or homeowner's insurance will help cover the loss.

If the bags were left with the Porter to be delivered to the room. There is every possibility that someone helped themselves while it was sitting out in the hall. That is why I always use self debarkation. Then my bags only out of my site on embarkation day. I always keep the valuables in my carry on. Unfortunate lesson learned. Sorry about this. I would be angry too. You can't trust anyone anymore.....so sad:(

The Ipad has a serial number...if you have the paper work, you should report it stolen. It also has a password, so it will be more difficult for someone else to use. Unless your Mom didn't set up a password.

I hope the OP reads this. This is very valuable info in recovery of lost items. Plus use of a credit card may assist in recovery of $ spent. Of course it's easy for any teenage hacker to work around the password protection but still, it's a hassle and many pawn shops won't take Windows and Mac laptops unless the original owner supplies the password or the machine is cleared. I would assume the same goes for iPads.

Too bad about OP's Mom's loss. My kids have iPads and I wouldn't let them bring them on our Magic cruise out of Barcelona because of fear of loss, theft, or damage. Also, without wifi, the value to them is much less. But I agree with others that iPads are no different than laptops and should ALWAYS be on your person. Expensive lesson learned. Does travel insurance cover this?

As it's been said over & over, always carry valuables with you.

Look at it this way: only check what you are willing to lose.

I'm willing to lose clothing that can be easily replaced, but not jewelry, medication or electronics.

So sorry this happened. Have your Mom check her Homeowners Insurance Policy to see if she may be covered.

Good luck.

I'm guessing since the OP never came back she too has had her Ipad stolen!:eek:

To the OP:, I am willing to help replace the missing Ipad, I cannot afford much, but anything helps!! I can send 25 cents, just mail me a self addressed envelope and I will get it out to you! I am sure alot of others will follow suit! :)

Locking luggage is actually pretty much useless if someone really wants to get inside. There are devices that will slide those plastic zippers open and close them as if they were never opened. Just sayin....

Zippers can be easy to open but not all of them. A locking strap takes care of the rest. For that matter, I still have some hardsided suitcases with aluminum frames and real latches.

Yes, they can just steal the whole suitcase, but that might be harder to conceal.

Was this an Ipad or an Ipad 2? It may not be so many months before an Ipad 3 is available.

I agree Kamari. I am really saddened by people's responses on this thread.

Part of the reason we have a decline in society today is because people are quick to point their fingers at the victim. Whether or not she should have carried the IPAD with her is irrelevant, a crime is a crime. Sure we live and learn in life, and there might be things we can do to better protect ourselves, but when did people become so quick to excuse thieft?

I suppose the same people would also chastise a victim of pick-pocketing for carrying their wallet in their side pocket? Or a victim of assault for walking down a dark alley on their own?

To the OP, I sincerely hope you find a resolution to this issue. Definitely complain to Carnival as they need to know that they are contracting the services of unreliable staff. Good luck

AMEN to that....well stated! I have noticed that not only has the demographics of CCL changed, so have the responses on this board. What has happened to people caring about people?

Sure we live and learn in life, and there might be things we can do to better protect ourselves, but when did people become so quick to excuse thieft?

I suppose the same people would also chastise a victim of pick-pocketing for carrying their wallet in their side pocket? Or a victim of assault for walking down a dark alley on their own?

No, but if they left it in their backpack sitting around the corner because it was just too heavy to take with them, I would expect them to have some responsibility. And honestly, in many areas, you know you are taking your life in your own hands by walking on your own down a dark alley at night. Nobody is saying that the thief isn't responsible - they're just saying that the person who left their belongings someplace or decided to walk down a dark alley at night on their own might bear some responsibility for the decisions they made. Some things just can't be avoided...but you couldn't pay me to walk down the alleys at night in some places.

No, but if they left it in their backpack sitting around the corner because it was just too heavy to take with them, I would expect them to have some responsibility. And honestly, in many areas, you know you are taking your life in your own hands by walking on your own down a dark alley at night. Nobody is saying that the thief isn't responsible - they're just saying that the person who left their belongings someplace or decided to walk down a dark alley at night on their own might bear some responsibility for the decisions they made. Some things just can't be avoided...but you couldn't pay me to walk down the alleys at night in some places.

Well said :)

As it's been said over & over, always carry valuables with you.

Look at it this way: only check what you are willing to lose.

I'm willing to lose clothing that can be easily replaced, but not jewelry, medication or electronics.

So sorry this happened. Have your Mom check her Homeowners Insurance Policy to see if she may be covered.

Good luck.

If we lost a suitcase with say my wife's clothes and my nice camera in it (would never do that), she would be upset about the camera but she would go through the roof over her cloths. The poor people at GS would quit and leave the ship at the next port after my wife was done with them.

While we NEVER put anything other than clothes, makeup, etc in our checked luggage. We both would be very pissed and we would hold Carnival or any other cruise line responsible if it was lost. The fact that the porters are not Carnival employees is BS, if they tell me I have to use them to get my luggage on the ship, then they are responsible for them and my luggage. I do understand that there is a difference between losing a whole suitcase and something missing from a suite case. My point is that regardless of what is in the suit case I hold the cruise line responsible for getting my suit case with ALL of it's contents to my stateroom safely.

To the OP (or anybody that has had something taken), please make an official complainant to Carnival and the port authority. Most likely nothing will be done to return your property but it will at least let people know that bad things are happening.

Oh my... we are frequent travelers.. my mom goes alot!!

She gave her bags over to security at the New Orleans port of Carnival. She got on the ship, got her luggage, and her brand new IPAD was gone!!!

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

I am soooooo mad I can barely type this!!

My mom ( and Aunt who is with her), are in their late 70's. What is wrong here!!

Carnival MUST step up and accept responsiblity. My sisters and I gave her this IPAD for her 78th birthday.... GEEZ.....

I will keep everyone informed!

I think this is very important to know when traveling on Carnival.

On RCI they step up to everything they are responsible for????

All I can say is..... where is our customer service here!@~!????

Oh yea... so mad forgot to say..

They are on the Triumph !!!!!!

Sorry that the Ipad is gone, but two things, first you never, ever under any circumstance pack electronics in your luggage, and second, unless you can prove who took it Carnival is not responsible. The Porters are longshoremen who work for the port, not Carnival. I would look to the port for compensation, not Carnival.

If we lost a suitcase with say my wife's clothes and my nice camera in it (would never do that), she would be upset about the camera but she would go through the roof over her cloths. The poor people at GS would quit and leave the ship at the next port after my wife was done with them.

While we NEVER put anything other than clothes, makeup, etc in our checked luggage. We both would be very pissed and we would hold Carnival or any other cruise line responsible if it was lost. The fact that the porters are not Carnival employees is BS, if they tell me I have to use them to get my luggage on the ship, then they are responsible for them and my luggage. I do understand that there is a difference between losing a whole suitcase and something missing from a suite case. My point is that regardless of what is in the suit case I hold the cruise line responsible for getting my suit case with ALL of it's contents to my stateroom safely.

To the OP (or anybody that has had something taken), please make an official complainant to Carnival and the port authority. Most likely nothing will be done to return your property but it will at least let people know that bad things are happening.

First they do not make you check luggage. You could pack light and carry on all your luggage.

Two they do cover luggage that can be proven stolen or damaged upto some small amount of money. Thats the only responsiblity that they have per the contract you have with them.

Three travel insurance may be your best bet for good luggage cost coverage. Nothing will get your belongings replaced in a timely manner so if you choose to carry lots of stuff you are attached to you probably are running a risk of being very upset at some point.

The fact that the porters are not Carnival employees is BS, if they tell me I have to use them to get my luggage on the ship, then they are responsible for them and my luggage.

No, you don't. As long as you can fit your luggage through the scanners, you can carry it. Mine will not be checked going through the airport or going onboard. I take mine with me.

Hell, I still can't get past a 78 year old lady that has an IPAD ! :eek:

*LOL*

My Mom is 84 and if you show here an IPAD , it's like the missionary lighting a match in front of the natives.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH Devil man with stick of fire !!!!!!!!! *LOL*

Anne Bancroft had an easier tiime teaching Patty Duke to use a fork in "The Miracle Worker" than I did teaching my mom to use a cell phone. :)

They "state" they are not responsible... WHATEVER!!!! they take your luggage, they ARE responsible!!!

On RCI they step up to everything they are responsible for????

All of the cruise lines have the same luggage policy. The porters are a third party contractor hired by the port, not the cruise line. You should never put anything of value into checked baggage. That applies to airline travel as well.

When you set up your email account on the iPad, it also asks you to set up the MobileMe! service...which is a locating / remote wipe service. I'm asssuming it's not set up?

In addition, if she had a gmail account set up on it, she can to to "mobile.google.com/sync" and disable email/calendars on that device (you must do this from a mobile device). This will erase contacts/calendars on the device.

Did she have the security code (4-digit PIN) to unlock the device? If the incorrect PIN is entered 10x the iPad is automatically wiped clean.

I sat in a board/bored room and was laughed at because I was the only one that set up these security features. If mine gets lost, I feel secure in that I will get it back, or at least my identity wouldn't be stolen from it.

Same crap, different day. "It's Carnival's fault, RCI would fix this". I don't think so, in either case.

Exactly. Why would they "step up" and take responsibility for a group of people who are unionized, overpaid, and don't work for them? They make it clear that the porters are not CCL employees.

Everything but clothes and shoes stays with me. Going home, there's nothing but makeup and dirty clothes in my luggage. All souvenirs and items of value walk off WITH ME towing them.

AMEN to that....well stated! I have noticed that not only has the demographics of CCL changed, so have the responses on this board. What has happened to people caring about people?

Not necessarily the OP but what has happened on this board is an infestation of RCCL and NCL lovers and trolls and CCL haters who make up stories just to have some fun.

Archived