Comparison Advice Please

Britboys

We are currently looking to book a cruise for November in the Mediterranean and have narrowed it down to one on Crystal Serenity and one on Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

I just wondered if there is anyone out there who has relatively recent experience with both lines who could say what the good and maybe not so good points are about each.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

I can't let this request go unanswered over here on the Regent board.

Roland has giving you a good description on the Crystal board but I do have one addition:

Regent is more laid back than Crystal I don't know the length of the cruise you're interest in but if it is less than 16 nights, all evenings will be "Elegant Casual" where as the Crystal trip there will be 2 or 3 formal nights.

I will also say that although I have not been up the Amazon on Crystal, I have been on Regent and the tours were very good . . . . .

The standard cabins on all the Regent ships are larger with walk-in closets. The standard cabins on Crystal are smaller and the closets have sliding doors.

If this trip is on the Mariner, I would chose a shower cabin, it it is on the Navigator, all the standard (called "deluxe") cabins have both tubs and separate showers.

I'm sure which ever line you decide to go with, you will enjoy the trip . . . .

My wife and I just returned from a cruise of the Mediterranean on the Mariner. This was our fourth Regent cruise and was probably the best yet! The shore excursions were well organized and hosted by experienced guides that knew how to get the most out of the time allowed. Our experience on board the Mariner was, as usual, excellent.

We have not cruised on Crystal but I can tell you from recent experience that our Regent cruise was exceptional.

Many thanks for your replies to this. I was beginning to wonder where all the Regent fans were :)

I think Crystal is ahead at the moment, mainly on the itinerary that includes overnight stops in both Istanbul & Venice.

It seems that they are both exceptional cruise lines.

Many thanks for your replies to this. I was beginning to wonder where all the Regent fans were :)

Well there's no shortage of fans here, just not many who have cruised Crystal as well. In my case this is because of the smaller cabins on Crystal, the less-flexible dining, requirement to sign for drinks, and a perceived formality (on my part.) Regent has an elegant, but very relaxed ambience that I find perfect for me.

Well there's no shortage of fans here, just not many who have cruised Crystal as well. In my case this is because of the smaller cabins on Crystal, the less-flexible dining, requirement to sign for drinks, and a perceived formality (on my part.) Regent has an elegant, but very relaxed ambience that I find perfect for me.

We tried Crystal once, that was more than enough, and therefore totally agree with your comparison assessment. We are Regent Gold and not going anywhere else.

We tried Crystal once, that was more than enough, and therefore totally agree with your comparison assessment. We are Regent Gold and not going anywhere else.

We are also Regent Gold, but with one cruise booked in the spring, not sure whether they've priced themselves out of our market. Newly-retired, watching the thousands, if not the pennies, we may well go down-market if we want to keep going to sea. Definitely will be looking for bargains in the future, and Crystal hardly qualifies.

Another perspective--if I was looking at two cruises, one R and one C, and they were the same ballpark price, I would look at what the extras would cost on Crystal, compare the size of the cabins, and yes, look at the ports (pay attention to the times in port as well.) Unless the Crystal cruise costed out a much better deal, I'd stick wtih Regent.

I am not sure I would consider a November cruise in the Mediterranean... can be wet and cool if not cold! That said I have cruised in the Med on both the mariner and the Voyager (the latter a start to a TA cruise and which was in November, but in Spain which is drier!!) I found the excursions to be mostly very good. The food, wine, service absolutely top rate on both ships. And I particularly like the "eat any time and with anyone" policy in the Compass Rose... table for two - no problem!!. As I understand it from a London friend, Crystal has sittings and sticks you at a fixed table for the duration... I would not like that.

I have cruised on both lines. Regent's cabins are more spacious. Having shore excursions included can be nice, but increases the initial price. It also ups the insurance premium. I do not always use Regent's excursions, so I prefer to pay as I go. Single supplements is where Crystal really wins. I enjoy traveling alone, but not dining alone. Regent has sharing tables. Crystal has set dining or as you wish. Both have advantages and have added to the fun. Crystal now includes alcohol and gratuities. Regent has a better smoking policy for non-smokers. Choosing a cruise comes down to itinerary and price.

As I understand it from a London friend, Crystal has sittings and sticks you at a fixed table for the duration... I would not like that.

Yes, they stick you alright. When we went last year to try Crystal, big mistake for us, they indeed stuck us at a table for two at the entrance to the main dining room...right next to the service station. A disaster, and no amount of pleading could get us moved. Of course, I'm sure a handshake with the captain, something in the hand would have maybe helped....since this was not a happy event and since, as I have mentioned before, there were subtle undertones of gentle persuasion for extra gratuities, we quickly got turned off.

I am generally accused of overtipping, but hopefully this trip cured me. Because the use it or lose it OBC didn't offer too many buying opportunities in the usuriously overpriced boutiques, we did take the remaining credits and distributed them to some of the staff. Certainly wasn't going to give it back to the ship...

We have been cruising for better than 45 years, so I would assume we've seen a lot from diffirent perspectives.

We are currently looking to book a cruise for November in the Mediterranean and have narrowed it down to one on Crystal Serenity and one on Regent Seven Seas Mariner.

I just wondered if there is anyone out there who has relatively recent experience with both lines who could say what the good and maybe not so good points are about each.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

......We have cruised on both this year. Crystal Symphony 14 days and Serenity 14 days...Regent Voyager this year 16 days and 22 days ahead on Mariner in November....The bigest difference for me is the passenger mix and the suites themselves....I will never sail on Crystal again....Period, end of report....We also have a good bit of time on Seabourn and Silversea and both of them are far better suited to my taste than Crystal....

Are you booking this cruise for November 2011 or 2012? Just re-read this thread and could not find the answer. If you are making a comparison for 2012, Crystal will be all-inclusive and a bit easier to compare to Regent. We love Regent (also Gold status) and would not consider Crystal because they have not been all-inclusive (and for other reasons mentioned in this thread). It does not make sense for us to pay the same amount (or higher) than we do on Regent and then add in tips, alcohol and excursions.

What ever decision you make, have a great cruise:-)

Sorry for the confusion TC2...I just reread my response and I believe it infers this November(2011)....In any case we are booked for November 10 through December 4 of 2011 in stateroom 917 aboard Regent Mariner. It is our favorite cruise ship afloat.....My wife, Teddy, is getting a bit anxious already....We have been home now for 8 weeks since our last cruise.!!!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies folks. We have in fact opted for Crystal Serenity from Istanbul to Venice in the end. The itinerary is the main reason. The mediterranean in November would not always be our first choice but we are currently restricted to Europe, which gives little option.

Hopefully we will be able to try Regent some other time but cabin size is not an issue for us and we quite enjoy the more formal aspects of cruising, so will be fine with that too.

Thanks again,

On Crystal, if you are not happy with your set dining tablemates or time, it can easily be changed.

Are you sure? I ask because friends of ours cruised Crystal once and were stuck with a dining time they didn't want (early) and at a table for 6 or 8 which they didn't want eitehr. And no matter how they pleaded or cajoled or whatever - they were stuck for the whole cruise... And swore "never again crystal"...

Are you sure? I ask because friends of ours cruised Crystal once and were stuck with a dining time they didn't want (early) and at a table for 6 or 8 which they didn't want eitehr. And no matter how they pleaded or cajoled or whatever - they were stuck for the whole cruise... And swore "never again crystal"...

We had the same experience...they gave a table for two right under the entrance service station...all the pleading did not help to get us changed. The only other alternative was to dine at 8:30, which was too late for us.

I have not had dining issues on Crystal (several cruises). Once I asked for another table and it was quickly done. The passengers are not less friendly than on Regent! I currently have reservations for both Crystal and Regent cruises.

On our one Crystal cruise, we did meet a few people we knew who were very frequent passengers on the line and they did tell us that those with lots of nautical miles got whatever reservations and perks they desired...no questions asked.

On our one Crystal cruise, we did meet a few people we knew who were very frequent passengers on the line and they did tell us that those with lots of nautical miles got whatever reservations and perks they desired...no questions asked.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've always had the feeling that this is the case on Regent as well, although it's unstated.

Archived