Best tables for 2: Blu or Murano

Dena

Hello,

DH and I are non smokers who have never sailed Celebrity. DH has celiac disease and needs gluten free food.

We prefer tables for 2. I have heard they are very close together in the MDR. But they also look very close together at Blu. So while the food may be better at Blu, it seems like there is even less privacy. Because if Blu is more quiet than the MDR, then how could we dine without hearing every word of the conversation of couples seated next to us and visa versa. We have had tables like this on Princess and it is very uncomfortable so we end up talking with our neighbors.

Now the tables for 2 appear to be much more reasonably spaced at Murano and Tuscan Grill. Would it be better for us to not book AQ and just plan to eat at Murano and Tuscan Grill if things don't work out in the MDR. I assume we will be able to get a table for 2 at the MDR for both breakfast and lunch like we do on Princess, is this correct. If not, I guess Bistro on 5 would work. Or we could try room service. Princess will not deliver a hot breakfast unless one is in a suite. Can we get a hot breakfast delivered on Celebrity? If yes, will they be able to bring something gluten free for DH like scrambled eggs. Neither of us really like buffets and Princess always tells us not to eat at their buffet because of the possibility of cross contamination.

The Main Dining Room is not open for lunch on Sea Days, and one day each cruise it is closed for breakfast so that they staff can get ready for that day's Gala brunch.

You can get a hot breakfast from room service. You should also look at the offerings of the Aqua Spa cafe, while it is a buffet, it is small and food there is different than the buffet -- lots of fruit offerings, they will make egg-white omelets, and there are "healthier" alternatives to the buffet.

I would recommend the MDR for the two of you. Once you get to know your waiter and Maitre'D they will work hard to find delicious dinner alternatives for you that are gluten free. There will be many on board who are avoiding gluten, and the ship is pretty used to this restriction and will offer special foods for you. The same may be true in Blu, but if you want to sit a bit further from your neighbors, then the MDR would be better for you. Often the tables for two are not close to the nearby tables, as they are in Blu.

I've never noticed the tables for two in the MDR, but I ate in Blu on Solstice last year and the tables for two were about six inches apart. I was alone and enjoyed the first night chatting with an elderly couple from New Orleans. The next night I was next to a younger couple whom never said a word in my direction (six inches away) and I was a bit uncomfortable.

The next night, I either ate at the buffer, in Bistro on 5, or room service....I can't recall.

Hello, I have family members who have this. Please contact Celebrity Special Services ASAP. Fill out their form but call them too and ask for the Gluten free list. They will send a package via e-mail (or mail if you prefer). Fill it out. Once on board see the Maitra'd and check with him that they know of your problem. Then go have lunch. Ask for fresh tray food for him (not put out yet so no contamination). They have done this for us but we had to find the head guy first. Only eat fruit and salad (nothing with sauce since most use a thickener that may not agree with you).

To eat in Blu you must be in AQ or suite. Suite is not gty and costs and extra $5.00 per day. No others can eat there so if you have a balcony you can not eat there. I assume that you are in a AQ or suite. If so you can order hot breakfast every morning, remind them it must be gluten free. If you eat in Specialty restaurants tell them the day before. You will order meals 24 hours before in most cases to ensure it is what you need.

Last cruise on Celebrity was 2006 but in Dec on RCCL. I find if you inform them before hand they will have breads/buns/cakes ect ect that you can have if not then you have a limited amount of things based on what is aboard.

The Main Dining Room is not open for lunch on Sea Days, and one day each cruise it is closed for breakfast so that they staff can get ready for that day's Gala brunch.

You can get a hot breakfast from room service. You should also look at the offerings of the Aqua Spa cafe, while it is a buffet, it is small and food there is different than the buffet -- lots of fruit offerings, they will make egg-white omelets, and there are "healthier" alternatives to the buffet.

I would recommend the MDR for the two of you. Once you get to know your waiter and Maitre'D they will work hard to find delicious dinner alternatives for you that are gluten free. There will be many on board who are avoiding gluten, and the ship is pretty used to this restriction and will offer special foods for you. The same may be true in Blu, but if you want to sit a bit further from your neighbors, then the MDR would be better for you. Often the tables for two are not close to the nearby tables, as they are in Blu.

We had two tables for two and one table for 4 in the MDR (we kept changing tables trying to fine a location we liked, never did) on the Equniox on a 13 night Mediterranean cruise. We were not happy with the MDR at all, it was too noisy, wait staff had difficulty walking between tables because the tables were too close to each other, plus the room was very noisy. If you go to the MDR, recommend you ask for a table for 4 for 2 only. We opted to skip the MDR 6 nights out of 13 on our Equinox cruise.

We have booked the Aqua class for our next cruise on the Eclipse, it may not be any better with tables near each other but hopefully it will be less noisy and crowded. We will see. We will opt for the buffet if we don't like BLU but that obviously is not an option for you.

Wish you the best.

Yes. You can have a cooked breakfast in any class of stateroom.

There will no doubt be others who will be eating gluten free on board. Even though you say that you wish to avoid the buffet, should you go there, you will find gluten free breads and pastas.

The "search" feature of Cruise Critic's website seems to be having problems again, but if you try to search the Celebrity board for "gluten free" you will find many others who can share their experiences on board, and also look for "room service menu" and you should be able to find that as well.

Thanks Cruisestich,

That is great news about the buffet. I too am having trouble with the search feature and it looks like only a few pages of posts are available, nothing except the last few months in 2011.

There are a few more isolated tables for 2 in Blu. They are next to the posts. We call them the "lover's tables". They are usually available if you arrive before 6:30. The tables toward the back are usually the last to go and would be isolated if you go early. Just tell the Maitre 'd what you need than he/she will do their best to meet your needs. A request for gluten free is normal. They have a special area in the galley where they prepare special request meals.

In my opinion the best tables for two are in the Tuscan Grill. They are right against the window, in the center, with the view out the back of the ship. You are low, close to the water and with the lights shining on the water, it is just so relaxing.

as for Celiac, the chefs will prepare a menu that will not only be good but it will be filled with variety. We have friends who have Celiac and loved the food.

Thanks everyone. Blu looks lovely in the videos I've found, so it is good to know that it may be possible to have a romantic dinner there.

I have found some YouTube videos of Tuscan Grill and those tables do look nice.

Remember that Blu is only available to Aqua Class and (sometimes) to Suites. Otherwise the MDR will be your evening venue.

Which ship and itinerary are you considering?

We would like to try a Solstice class leaving from Ft. Lauderdale. Any Caribbean itinerary will do since we will not leave the ship.

If you haven't already found it, have a look at this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1476397&highlight=gluten+free

The older threads (and there were many of them) are still unavailable with the Cruise critic search feature. However, some people are having luck finding older threads by using Google. Try searching for "Cruise Critic Celebrity gluten free" and you may be able to find some of the older threads.

If you haven't already found it, have a look at this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1476397&highlight=gluten+free

The older threads (and there were many of them) are still unavailable with the Cruise critic search feature. However, some people are having luck finding older threads by using Google. Try searching for "Cruise Critic Celebrity gluten free" and you may be able to find some of the older threads.

Thank you!

The Main Dining Room is not open for lunch on Sea Days, and one day each cruise it is closed for breakfast so that they staff can get ready for that day's Gala brunch

Did you mean to say "not open on port days"? I would be surprised if the MDR is not open on sea days. On everyother cruise we have ever been on the MDR is open then.

We have just returned from a cruise as a couple eating in Blu with one with a serious food allergy. In our opinion, Blu is a much better place to work with if you have o food allergy, the service is more personal and all the staff quickly understand your needs. As the galley is right by the restaurant, the Chef will often come out and discuss options for the next day - in the MDR you will be working second hand with the Maitre D - and will make special dishes for you

As regards tables being close, as others say, you can have some that have more space and if you arrive at a quieter time the Maitre D can also place you in the middle of 3 sets of 2 tables and not allocate the outer 2 to other guests. Let them know your preferences and they will do everything they can to accommodate you, it is so much more personal there and is lovely.

Be VERY careful ordering from room service - they have poor understanding of food allergies, if you are in a suite, this will unfortunately extend sometimes to the butler. I would recommend using Blu at breakfast - beautiful selection of egg dishes prepared directly for your order so again no risk of the egg appearing on toast etc. Service is very prompt so no waiting either

If you go to the buffet at lunchtime you may want to consider the Aquaspa buffet as it is staffed by the team from Blu so they will know your needs, otherwise get a hold of the on duty maitre d who will be able to look after you, most of the servers have a limited grasp of English, they are lovely people and mean you no harm but you would risk their misinterpretation of your needs

Good adviced from UKtog, the staff in Blu are exceptional, and always try their best to help.

There is a plan of Blu at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/5833891666/

If you look at the left hand side, there is a round table for 6 with tables for two either side of it, these tables are the most 'isolated' in Blu, although we had a noisy group on the table for 6 last time.

As we dine early, we often got one of the window tables for two, it soon becomes evident who wants to talk, and those who want to be left alone.

Richard

Good adviced from UKtog, the staff in Blu are exceptional, and always try their best to help.

There is a plan of Blu at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/5833891666/

If you look at the left hand side, there is a round table for 6 with tables for two either side of it, these tables are the most 'isolated' in Blu, although we had a noisy group on the table for 6 last time.

As we dine early, we often got one of the window tables for two, it soon becomes evident who wants to talk, and those who want to be left alone.

Richard

Thank you for this diagram

Archived