Has anyone else had this ridiculous situation?

SALAD MUNCHER

Just had to comment on this as I am still baffled by the logic of Cunard's Customer Service staff. The scenario is this: About 2 months agio my hb and I were looking around for a cruise to celebrate my birthday in October. We found the perfect one with QV sailing to Greece, Turkey etc. on a travel ops website that we had used in July for a previous trip on the QV. I contacted the TA and booked it..had our Cunard VP online within an hour....perfect! NO...! Having deliberately not pressed 'Go Green' on our VP I was patiently waiting for our pre cruise documents/luggage labels to arrive. Having not recevied them yesterday I phoned Cunard to ask what had happened. I was asked where I had booked the trip, and I told her through our TA. She said "well you booked under a special deal which did not include pre cruise documentation"! This apparently is to keep costs down! I was not aware of any 'special deal', as far as I am concerned I found a cruise I liked advertised on a TA website at a reasonable price and booked it. I asked her if I could be sent a copy as they must have spares, but she refused! I asked her what was the point of having the 'Go Green' button on my VP if I had no choice anyway - this she ignored and failed to answer. I contacted my TA who seemed to have no knowledge of this booking condition and who is 'investigating'. Has anyone else come across this as my TA is a very well known on site cruise agent. :mad::mad::confused:

I must admit I seem to have "gone green" by default - as I don't remember pressing any buttons myself. Maybe it was through my TA - also very well known!. But I can live with it - haven't got any choice now!

But I wuld question whether this is truly "green" anyway as I have printed off just about everything :o- and my printer only prints on one side....ergo - I have used more paper than they would have done!

We are on the QV 15th Oct, and also cannot remember defaulting to GO GREEN.

However, all one really needs are the luggage labels, and that will equate to 2 sheets of A4. So IMHO, if we are serious about wastage, recycling etc this does seem to make sense. I would prefer to have the more durable stateroom labels sent, if nothing else!

We are on the QV 15th Oct, and also cannot remember defaulting to GO GREEN.

However, all one really needs are the luggage labels, and that will equate to 2 sheets of A4. So IMHO, if we are serious about wastage, recycling etc this does seem to make sense. I would prefer to have the more durable stateroom labels sent, if nothing else!

In relation to the luggage tags I just printed them of but how are you supposed to attach them? The paper just fell apart does everyone else print on photo paper or something to make them more durable? I agree going green is fine but it would be good to have proper luggage labels even if handed out at the pier?

In relation to the luggage tags I just printed them of but how are you supposed to attach them? The paper just fell apart does everyone else print on photo paper or something to make them more durable? I agree going green is fine but it would be good to have proper luggage labels even if handed out at the pier?

I use adhesive/packaging tape on both sides--the 48mm/1.88IN wide variety--and then staple the label to the handle of the suitcase. Easily done at whatever hotel I may be using pre-travel, by borrowing the stapler from the receptionist.

If you have ever watched Blue Peter and you have a little dexterity, that will be useful!

1. Find some old luggage address labels
  2. Fold the printed labels to fit around the old luggage labels
  3. Use sticky tape and staples to secure them
  4. They are now ready for use!:rolleyes:

This is what we did when we opted for GO GREEN a few voyages ago, before being aware of the consequences. Getting quite good at it now!:D

I must admit I seem to have "gone green" by default - as I don't remember pressing any buttons myself. Maybe it was through my TA - also very well known!. But I can live with it - haven't got any choice now!

But I wuld question whether this is truly "green" anyway as I have printed off just about everything :o- and my printer only prints on one side....ergo - I have used more paper than they would have done!

I think the "green" they're interested in is money. You used your paper, your ink, and your electricity, all of which you pay for. And you also saved them the cost of postage.

I use adhesive/packaging tape on both sides--the 48mm/1.88IN wide variety--and then staple the label to the handle of the suitcase. Easily done at whatever hotel I may be using pre-travel, by borrowing the stapler from the receptionist.

That's what I do, too. HAL does not send out luggage tags. Everyone has to print their own, or have the TA do it if they don't have a computer. On my two recent HAL cruises, the heavy clear tape and staple method worked fine. In my experience, hotel receptionists find the whole thing amusing when you explain why you need their stapler.

Try searching the HAL board for "luggage tag." Some people have all sorts of ingenious ways of reinforcing the paper luggage tags.

Great Sticky tape and staples is the way to go then. Sounds very much like Blue Peter tape, staples and sticky back plastic but they always cheated with one they had made earlier:D. Thanks for the help I'm obviously not very creative but this could be fun.

Although I live in Florida, I purchased clear plastic luggge tags from a company in CA. I realise this is not possible for you, but perhaps you can find a similar product in a Town nearby.

Mine are about 4x3 plastictags with a hole for a tie. They are strong and can be used over and over, I place the Cunard label inside, and tie it on at the hotel.

You have to remember that staff at Cunard is like the little girl in the nursery rhyme, - "when she is good she is very very good, but when she is bad she is horrid".

Hve great trip

Coming back to the original point:

I agree, it is ridiculous how Cunard behaves. Or in other words: very customer unfriendly.

"a deal which does not include pre-cruise documentation"?

Not sending cruise documents (and failing to answer a customer's question) is worth of the most cheap cruise line not of a line advertising its luxury and tradition.

Regarding all the advices about luggage tags: Great you are so talented in cutting, printing, glueing, stapeling, laminating, sticking, folding and so on but is that what one expects from a prime company of the "service" or "hospitality" industry?

Sorry, Cunard, what about providing easy to use ready and durable luggage tags? Like you did just a few years ago without any probems for everyone?

Not wishing to extend the thread drift, isn't all of the information previously mailed to passengers available on line in your Voyage Personaliser? Regarding the bag tags I always fold the A4 sheet into three and then staple the ends together and have never experienced the paper coming apart. They do look cheap and nasty and I know that some passengers print them on yellow, pink or green paper in an effort to add some style to them.

Sorry, Cunard, what about providing easy to use ready and durable luggage tags? Like you did just a few years ago without any probems for everyone?

They still do. They're stuck in the back of your Pre-Voyage Documentation & Shore Excursions brochure.

They still do. They're stuck in the back of your Pre-Voyage Documentation & Shore Excursions brochure.

OMG! This was my original point! I have been told by Cunard I have forfieted the option of having the Pre-Voyage Documentation brochure because I booked with a TA other than Cunard! The Customer Service?? Rep actually told me that because my TA had been given good deals by Cunard they had to shave down the price and not sending out information to passengers (paying customers!!) was one way of doing this! This condition was never indicated either on my Cunard VP or on any invoice I have received. Even my TA is confused!

I did not press the Go Green button as I particularly wanted to receive these in the post so I could mull over the shore excursions, make notes etc. before deciding upon which to book. I also wanted decent luggage labels.

When will Cunard shoreside realise that this type of penny pinching will lose them customers in the long term. BTW I have booked a QG suite so I did actually pay a largish amount of wonga for my trip - not that this should make any difference - a paying customer is a paying customer! :eek:

Hi Salade Muncher - would you swap your lovely free upgrade to Q3 for proper paperwork?

Overall, you do not seem to have been badly treated by Cunard

D

OMG! This was my original point! I have been told by Cunard I have forfieted the option of having the Pre-Voyage Documentation brochure because I booked with a TA other than Cunard! The Customer Service?? Rep actually told me that because my TA had been given good deals by Cunard they had to shave down the price and not sending out information to passengers (paying customers!!) was one way of doing this! This condition was never indicated either on my Cunard VP or on any invoice I have received. Even my TA is confused!

I did not press the Go Green button as I particularly wanted to receive these in the post so I could mull over the shore excursions, make notes etc. before deciding upon which to book. I also wanted decent luggage labels.

When will Cunard shoreside realise that this type of penny pinching will lose them customers in the long term. BTW I have booked a QG suite so I did actually pay a largish amount of wonga for my trip - not that this should make any difference - a paying customer is a paying customer! :eek:

What we do is print off on standard A4 paper, slot into an A4 document holder the ones with the holes down the sides, fold as instructed staple together and thread string/elastic band through the now double layer of reinforced holes, secure to luggage!

We recently had five bags labelled in this way and labels were very secure

Not wishing to extend the thread drift, isn't all of the information previously mailed to passengers available on line in your Voyage Personaliser? Regarding the bag tags I always fold the A4 sheet into three and then staple the ends together and have never experienced the paper coming apart. They do look cheap and nasty and I know that some passengers print them on yellow, pink or green paper in an effort to add some style to them.

Nice to see you back Jim.

I may print mine on different colour paper for a special effect lol

Hi Salade Muncher - would you swap your lovely free upgrade to Q3 for proper paperwork?

Overall, you do not seem to have been badly treated by Cunard

D

Excuse me but I, like many other cruisers, booked a guarantee cabin and would have been more than happy with that grade. However, since Cunard only have 2 cabins in that grade I expect a great many people get upgraded to a higher grade IN THAT CATEGORY!! It was not free, I paid for a grills suite and that's what I have got. For your information I have every right to expect the same treatment as everyone else.

It seems to me you have boasted to everyone in several posts about your Q3 upgrafe. Of course you expected an upgrade - but you could have got a Q6, Q5 or Q4

So you seem to have done quite well suitewise from Cunard.

Your upgrade was free, no matter how much (or how little) you paid for your Q7.

I'm sure those who paid a lot more than you for their Q6-Q3 are not too sympathetic!

Notwithstanding, I agree with your initial gripe that paper docs should be provided for the needy

D

Excuse me but I, like many other cruisers, booked a guarantee cabin and would have been more than happy with that grade. However, since Cunard only have 2 cabins in that grade I expect a great many people get upgraded to a higher grade IN THAT CATEGORY!! It was not free, I paid for a grills suite and that's what I have got. For your information I have every right to expect the same treatment as everyone else.

Well done on your upgrade, However I dont see what it is your worried about with the luggage labels, you can just print them off like all the rest of us - or- you could ask your TA to send you some, most TA,s have them,

It seems to me you have boasted to everyone in several posts about your Q3 upgrafe. Of course you expected an upgrade - but you could have got a Q6, Q5 or Q4

So you seem to have done quite well suitewise from Cunard.

Your upgrade was free, no matter how much (or how little) you paid for your Q7.

I'm sure those who paid a lot more than you for their Q6-Q3 are not too sympathetic!

Notwithstanding, I agree with your initial gripe that paper docs should be provided for the needy

D

Actually I have mentioned my upgrade only once, and then it was directed solely to an individual whom I met on the QV in June, Glendale, who by the way had asked me where I had been allocated. As I said before I would have been very happy with a Q7, Q6, Q5, Q4, Q3 etc etc. I see no reason why you seem to be critisising me personally, particularly it seems because I am in a Q3 cabin rather than in a Q7.

I was discussing with fellow CC members about a particular problem I had with a Customer Service rep. Where my cabin is on board is irrelavent to the discussion. Is there a problem with your queen suite allocation (yes I know you are in QG on your next trip) that has made you come over all critical? :rolleyes: And why are you inferring I am 'needy'.

If one cannot have a relevant discussion on this board without becoming a target for personal critisism then I think CC has had it's day.

Well done on your upgrade, However I dont see what it is your worried about with the luggage labels, you can just print them off like all the rest of us - or- you could ask your TA to send you some, most TA,s have them,

Thanks Rob. I will print them off - in fact this afternoon I ordered some self-laminating luggage pouches to place them in. I am angry because I have difficulty reading the online versions of the trips and I really wanted to be able to have them in brochure format.

I have also contacted Cunard by email today as on their website it clearly states:

"Cunard Voyage Guide

Your Cunard Voyage Guide will be sent to you in your preliminary documentation around 56 days before departure of your voyage and contains detailed answers to any further questions you may have. "

so I feel my gripe is a genuine one!

Salad Muncher - I apologise if you feel I was being personal and over-critical. This was not my intention. My responses were in the vein of "swings and roundabouts" - things tend to balance out.

Sometimes I post from my smartphone, and it is not so easy to review/consider the text/tone before pressing the send button.

(e.g. "needy" - on the computer I would have said "needed it" instead.

I look forward to buying you a drink to apologise personally.

D

Actually I have mentioned my upgrade only once, and then it was directed solely to an individual whom I met on the QV in June, Glendale, who by the way had asked me where I had been allocated. As I said before I would have been very happy with a Q7, Q6, Q5, Q4, Q3 etc etc. I see no reason why you seem to be critisising me personally, particularly it seems because I am in a Q3 cabin rather than in a Q7.

I was discussing with fellow CC members about a particular problem I had with a Customer Service rep. Where my cabin is on board is irrelavent to the discussion. Is there a problem with your queen suite allocation (yes I know you are in QG on your next trip) that has made you come over all critical? :rolleyes: And why are you inferring I am 'needy'.

If one cannot have a relevant discussion on this board without becoming a target for personal critisism then I think CC has had it's day.

Salad Muncher - I apologise if you feel I was being personal and over-critical. This was not my intention. My responses were in the vein of "swings and roundabouts" - things tend to balance out.

Sometimes I post from my smartphone, and it is not so easy to review/consider the text/tone before pressing the send button.

(e.g. "needy" - on the computer I would have said "needed it" instead.

I look forward to buying you a drink to apologise personally.

D

Apology accepted. I realise that sometimes certain topics seem quite important for posters for reasons probably only known to themselves yet people reading them may feel they are not that much of a problem! :)

Just had to comment on this as I am still baffled by the logic of Cunard's Customer Service staff. The scenario is this: About 2 months agio my hb and I were looking around for a cruise to celebrate my birthday in October. We found the perfect one with QV sailing to Greece, Turkey etc. on a travel ops website that we had used in July for a previous trip on the QV. I contacted the TA and booked it..had our Cunard VP online within an hour....perfect! NO...! Having deliberately not pressed 'Go Green' on our VP I was patiently waiting for our pre cruise documents/luggage labels to arrive. Having not recevied them yesterday I phoned Cunard to ask what had happened. I was asked where I had booked the trip, and I told her through our TA. She said "well you booked under a special deal which did not include pre cruise documentation"! This apparently is to keep costs down! I was not aware of any 'special deal', as far as I am concerned I found a cruise I liked advertised on a TA website at a reasonable price and booked it. I asked her if I could be sent a copy as they must have spares, but she refused! I asked her what was the point of having the 'Go Green' button on my VP if I had no choice anyway - this she ignored and failed to answer. I contacted my TA who seemed to have no knowledge of this booking condition and who is 'investigating'. Has anyone else come across this as my TA is a very well known on site cruise agent. :mad::mad::confused:

Hello Salad Muncher,

To get back to your original question re pre cruise docs.

YES ! the same has happend to me for my QM trip on the 3rd Jan 2012.

I'm sorry to say but you must have 'overlooked' the fact that you took advantage of a 'Cunard promotion' that has been on offer on some UK websites during the months of July/Aug/ ... "GETAWAY" Promotion.

Last month I took advantage of this promotion because the particular category I opt for, offered me a balcony for the price of an inside and at a very good price for a solo passenger.

Unlike your TA the TA I used, made me aware of the terms and conditions that applied to the "Getaway promotion"...... one of these conditions was the 'pre voyage info'.

On the booking confirmation invoice it clearly states " This promotion is part of the automatic E-Documentation, therefore all pre voyage documentation (under this booking) will only be available on line".

Sorry to say but it's not Cunards fault, the person who took care of your booking did not clearly inform you of the terms ... is there nothing in writing on your confirmation invoice ?

I have one other Cunard voyage booked before my Jan 3rd trip and I've just received hard copies of the pre voyage info in the usual way.

Enjoy your cruise, don't let the above spoil it.

Bell Boy,

Archived