Tranzalpine Rail Excursion in Akaroa

• 3 months later...

We are thinking of this excursion as well. I watched several youtube videos with the parrots on Arthur's Pass. They are very entertaining

(as long as they are not ripping apart my car.)

My kiwi cousin wrote that her sister-in-law loved the train ride - she did the entire thing - but she is from a flat country. I would take the ride but the Princess excursion price is frightening. We have not yet made a decision.

Floridiana

Most cruise ship shore excursion prices are way over the top. We are doing a NZ cruise with Princess in March and have chosen the Taieri Gorge train trip at Dunedin BUT NOT WITH THE CRUISE COMPANY. The train fare is $83 booked direct with the Railways at the Dunedin Railway Station and $189 through the ship excursions. In addition to that any kids travelling with Adults are free with the Railway booking and $149 each if booked through the ship. I dont think there is any alternative to booking the tranz Alpine train trip other than through the Ship as the train is caught up with by the bus trip part of the tour as the train leaves Christchurch before the ship arrives and gets back too late to catch the ship. I am not certain of this point but other C C ers will know.

Have a good cruise anyway.

John

We have driven to Arthurs Pass from Christchurch. A beautiful trip.

Have a look at this thread, I posted some photos of the Arthurs Pass

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277770&highlight=arthurs+pass

The train trip is one of the worlds best train trips. Yes it is expensive. What you have to decide is, will you return to New Zealand.

Instead of paying the extortionary price demanded by the cruise line for the train trip, we have hired a driver with a 10-seat mercedes van to take 6 of us up to Arthur's Pass and back. He is picking us up at the pier, stopping whereever we want, and giving us a customized tour with private commentary. And the price? Just NZ$700 for all of us -- a fraction of what the cruise ship wanted. We originally started with 4 of us, and then posted the option for another couple to join us. The spot was taken within a few days. So if it may be an option you want to consider.

The Taiere train goes in a completely different route to the road. The railway was gouged out by the gold miners really early on and is an amazing work in that mountaineers country. It goes over hand made stone bridges and past views you can't see when you go by road. It really is one of the great train rides in the world and railway buffs come just to travel on it. The commentary of the train conductors is good too. We did it before riding on the Central otago Railtrail that starts from Middlemarch. A great adventure.

Just to help your decision as to choosing road over rail. Good luck with your trip.

Floridiana

Most cruise ship shore excursion prices are way over the top. We are doing a NZ cruise with Princess in March and have chosen the Taieri Gorge train trip at Dunedin BUT NOT WITH THE CRUISE COMPANY. The train fare is $83 booked direct with the Railways at the Dunedin Railway Station and $189 through the ship excursions. In addition to that any kids travelling with Adults are free with the Railway booking and $149 each if booked through the ship. I dont think there is any alternative to booking the tranz Alpine train trip other than through the Ship as the train is caught up with by the bus trip part of the tour as the train leaves Christchurch before the ship arrives and gets back too late to catch the ship. I am not certain of this point but other C C ers will know.

Have a good cruise anyway.

John

Have you arranged transport from Port Chalmers to the Dunedin Railway Station?

erewhon

We havent arranged transport from the Pier to Dunedin Railway Station as the Railways now provide a shuttle bus separate to the shuttles that service the ship. The ship train is on the actual pier next to the ship and the railway shuttle bus is a little further down the pier near the shed that is exit and entrance to the pier. The railway shuttle bus drops you off at the railway station and picks you up from there for return to the ship. I think the fare is $5 each way and for an extra $20 you get an hour's tour of Dunedin after returning from the Gorge rail trip and then they return you to the ship.

There are two separate trains that run, one from the ship for the ship paying passengers and the other from the Dunedin Railway Station which runs to Middlemarch which is a bit further up the gorge than the ship train goes to. I cannot remember the name of the station that the ship train goes to but the Dunedin train passes the ship train at this place and goes on to Middlemarch before returning. So for over $100 less for the Dunedin train you get a longer train trip.

You can book train tickets on line direct from the Train Station which you pay for and collect when you arrive at the station on the shuttle bus. No prior payment is required.

Hope this is of assistance.

John

I think this thread has gone in two directions! So, I will try to help with the first.(Tranzalpine Tour) I think it would be difficult to 'DIY' because of the length of the trip plus getting to Christchurch and back to the ship. On our last cruise, you could only go from Akaroa, which meant the earliest start possible, with a bus picking up passengers from the ship and taking them to Christchurch Station and vice versa on return. I wouldn't risk it.

Edited by Sandielle

I think this thread has gone in two directions! So, I will try to help with the first.(Tranzalpine Tour) I think it would be difficult to 'DIY' because of the length of the trip plus getting to Christchurch and back to the ship. On our last cruise, you could only go from Akaroa, which meant the earliest start possible, with a bus picking up passengers from the ship and taking them to Christchurch Station and vice versa on return. I wouldn't risk it.

I researched very much to do the train ourselves, we even looked at a tour guide, who would pick us up at Lyttelton and drop as at a station then do the rail to Arthurs Pass, and then he would have picked us up and dropped us back to the port. Even this option wasn't cheap, hence why we hired a car.

But now with the ships stopping at Akaroa this makes the whole trip even more difficult.

My advice if you want to do the train trip, book it through the ship, as at least you know that you won't miss the ship if the tour is running late. The train trip goes on another route to the road, sometimes you will see the train track when driving but not all the time.

The cost of chartering the train would be huge, as you go one way on this specially chartered train and then go back by bus.

erewhon

We havent arranged transport from the Pier to Dunedin Railway Station as the Railways now provide a shuttle bus separate to the shuttles that service the ship. The ship train is on the actual pier next to the ship and the railway shuttle bus is a little further down the pier near the shed that is exit and entrance to the pier. The railway shuttle bus drops you off at the railway station and picks you up from there for return to the ship. I think the fare is $5 each way and for an extra $20 you get an hour's tour of Dunedin after returning from the Gorge rail trip and then they return you to the ship.

There are two separate trains that run, one from the ship for the ship paying passengers and the other from the Dunedin Railway Station which runs to Middlemarch which is a bit further up the gorge than the ship train goes to. I cannot remember the name of the station that the ship train goes to but the Dunedin train passes the ship train at this place and goes on to Middlemarch before returning. So for over $100 less for the Dunedin train you get a longer train trip.

You can book train tickets on line direct from the Train Station which you pay for and collect when you arrive at the station on the shuttle bus. No prior payment is required.

Hope this is of assistance.

John

Thank you for this information.

Thanks for everyone's input. Wonderful photos Aus family!

I know that we can only go to Arthur's Pass with the ship's excursion. It's simply too far from Akaroa to do on our own. Let's just hope that we'll have sunny weather in the mountains.

We booked the Tranzalpine Ex. the day it came out on the web site for our cruise on Oceania Regatta this Feb. We where afraid we would get shut out if we waited till we got on the ship.

Also booked The Tairi Gorge Railwayin Dunedin.

The Taiere train goes in a completely different route to the road. The railway was gouged out by the gold miners really early on and is an amazing work in that mountaineers country. It goes over hand made stone bridges and past views you can't see when you go by road. It really is one of the great train rides in the world and railway buffs come just to travel on it. The commentary of the train conductors is good too. We did it before riding on the Central otago Railtrail that starts from Middlemarch. A great adventure.

Just to help your decision as to choosing road over rail. Good luck with your trip.

I am not passing up the opportunity for this train ride and I booked it when it became available for booking. I am really looking forward to the experience. It sounds like you have taken the trip. In your opinion does it make much difference whether you are on the right or left side of the train? Thanks.

I am not passing up the opportunity for this train ride and I booked it when it became available for booking. I am really looking forward to the experience. It sounds like you have taken the trip. In your opinion does it make much difference whether you are on the right or left side of the train? Thanks.

I would like to know that also.

I wouldn't think one side is better than the other but if my memory is correct we were on the right and that was good. But you can easily move around the train, it was a very social sort of trip and no one minded if you looked out of their window. The train stopped for photo opportunities and a chance to get out to look at the train cross the bridge if you wanted a good photo. This was the public train trip I took so I don't know about the ship one.

There is only one train running this route. Daily from Christchurch through to the West Coast and return. It does not matter which side you sit on as the train is not wide and has large windows. There is an outdoor carriage which allows for great photography.

I personally would only do this as a ship excursion due to the time constraints and the earthquakes which are still rocking Christchurch.

OHH I forgot. Whats the weather like and Tempature the end of Feb Begining of March.

Unpredictable! ;) but usually cold in the the south of the South Island, and quite nice further north than Christchurch. Two years running we have found it like that. First time Akaroa was warmish, following year it was freezing, wet and very windy. Fiords/Dunedin cold. Take layers clothing-wise. A good windproof/showerproof jacket is great. :)

I wouldn't think one side is better than the other but if my memory is correct we were on the right and that was good. But you can easily move around the train, it was a very social sort of trip and no one minded if you looked out of their window. The train stopped for photo opportunities and a chance to get out to look at the train cross the bridge if you wanted a good photo. This was the public train trip I took so I don't know about the ship one.

There is only one train running this route. Daily from Christchurch through to the West Coast and return. It does not matter which side you sit on as the train is not wide and has large windows. There is an outdoor carriage which allows for great photography.

I personally would only do this as a ship excursion due to the time constraints and the earthquakes which are still rocking Christchurch.

Thank you. I am even more excited now. Later this month I will be enjoying the ride.