Steward on balcony??

Suzque49

We are on the Coral at Skagway

Last night we were in our cabin abt 8 pm and had the privacy lock on. The steward had not done the evening turndown but we didn't care. Were tired from a long day in port. I went to bed. DH was watching tv and heard the door handle rattle. No knock on the door so he thought maybe someone had the wrong cabin

A little while later there was a knock on the BALCONY door!! Hubby opened it and the person in a princess uniform said he was just checking on our welfare. DH asked how he got on our balcony and he said he came through the neighbors room.

Has that ever happened to anyone before? We spoke to passenger services today and they had no explanation but would report it to security and the head steward.

I think the next step if they were concerned would have been to call (or knock on the door, duhhh)

Last night we were in our cabin abt 8 pm and had the privacy lock on. The steward had not done the evening turndown but we didn't care. Were tired from a long day in port. I went to bed. DH was watching tv and heard the door handle rattle. No knock on the door so he thought maybe someone had the wrong cabin

A little while later there was a knock on the BALCONY door!! Hubby opened it and the person in a princess uniform said he was just checking on our welfare. DH asked how he got on our balcony and he said he came through the neighbors room.

Has that ever happened to anyone before? We spoke to passenger services today and they had no explanation but would report it to security and the head steward.

I think the next step if they were concerned would have been to call (or knock on the door, duhhh)

No that has never happened to us. Does sound very odd. Did you get the name of this individual? I'm assuming by the way you described it, the person on your balcony wasn't your cabin attendant.

Two possibilities

1. You accidently pulled the emergency response cord or button and security was checking up on you and couldn't get in because you dead bolted the cabin door.

2. Someone with the key to open the balcony dividers decided to have a look at your cabin and did not want to use the card reader on the door since this is logged into the access system by key card.

Hope it wasn't the second possibility

Two possibilities

1. You accidently pulled the emergency response cord or button and security was checking up on you and couldn't get in because you dead bolted the cabin door.

2. Someone with the key to open the balcony dividers decided to have a look at your cabin and did not want to use the card reader on the door since this is logged into the access system by key card.

Hope it wasn't the second possibility

Both are definite possibilities.

A loud knock and verbal inquiries from the other side of the door or a telephone call would have been more appropriate...resorting to rapping on the balcony door as a last resort.... Which, by the way I would not have opened for anyone who was standing on my balcony.

The second scenario is disturbing, if found to be true.

Another question popped into my mind for the OP...I wonder why this individual thought it necessary to "check on your welfare". I would be curious to see what feedback you get from Security.

I too would have immediately gone downstairs and reported it. It does sound very suspicious and I would not be happy with the explanation that was given to your husband by the mysterious balcony intruder.

Are you sure the person even had on a name tag. One doesn't ever suspect that there could be someone on board with ulterior motives but of course there are so many people on a ship and one may just be the "rotten egg" and has thought up a new way of unloading people of their valuables.

I hope that this is not the case but being on your balcony in the first place is very, very suspicious.

Jennie

This sounds a little creepy. I would definitely follow-up on the report to passenger services.

Is it just me, but I've never noticed an emergency cord in the bathroom? Maybe it's just in the handicapped staterooms, or I'm just totally oblivious:rolleyes:!

This sounds a little creepy. I would definitely follow-up on the report to passenger services.

Is it just me, but I've never noticed an emergency cord in the bathroom? Maybe it's just in the handicapped staterooms, or I'm just totally oblivious:rolleyes:!

You are correct, there is an emergency cord in every bathroom by the tub. It is possible it was pulled by mistake, or there was a fault in the system that showed an emergency in that cabin by mistake and they had to go and check.

I would have them track down who that was.....that was WAY too strange.....there were others options to find you IF needed.....why would they be wonder what YOU are doing versus anybody else on the ship.

Unless that person parachuted in, he came through a cabin door somewhere. His card would have been entered into one of the neighbors doors. I assume you would know if you don't have a neighbor on one side or the other? And if you do have neighbors on each side, that's freakier yet how he got out on their balcony

This whole deals "stinks" something fishy here....let us know....this is way to strange

The chief of housekeeping came to us tonight. He said the steward said he didn't think we were in the room and thought the lock was broken. He said that the steward called him and he tried his master key but it didn't work. Said the steward called the room (which he didn't) so the chief said he told him to see if he could gain access to try to "fix" the lock before we retuned and weren't able to get in. Doesn't make much sense but that's what he said. We didn't have the privacy sign out but did have the privacy lock on.

I would definately insist upon a meeting with someone in a position of authority in the security department. This incident is disturbing to me. Someone mentioned that the emergency cord in the bathroom may have been pulled. When a passenger pulls the emergency cord in the bathroom someone calls the room immediately. I am positive about this because my dh accidentally pulled it on our last cruise. We received a phone call and were asked if we needed assistance. When I answered that my dh accidentally pulled it the individual insisted upon personally speaking to my him to check on his well being. Please let us know if this issue was resolved.

i also have never seen an emergency cord in the bathroom or anywhere. am i that unobservant?! apparently. i'm going to notice it next time now!

i would be very freaked out by a knock on my balcony door. i wonder what i'd do? that's scary.

You are correct, there is an emergency cord in every bathroom by the tub. It is possible it was pulled by mistake, or there was a fault in the system that showed an emergency in that cabin by mistake and they had to go and check.

Are these just in cabins with tubs? Have never seen one in any cabin we've been in but we've never had a category higher than an OV.

You would think if there had been any concern, your cabin would have been called. A couple of cruises ago, we were called when my hubby was taking a shower with the bathroom door open...which tripped an alarm someplace.

On our last cruise, the cabin steward asked us to make sure we use those "do not disturb" and whatever the other sign is, so he knows if we're in or not. But I can't see why the steward (maybe he was filling in for your regular one that night) didn't call your room just in case you fell into a deep sleep.

Please keep us informed as to any further updates.

Are these just in cabins with tubs? Have never seen one in any cabin we've been in but we've never had a category higher than an OV.

Oh, I should have said that there has always been an emergency cord in the mini and full suites we have had. So, you could be correct, they might just be in those that have a bath tub.

Oh, I should have said that there has always been an emergency cord in the mini and full suites we have had. So, you could be correct, they might just be in those that have a bath tub.

that would also be why i have never seen one! ;) it makes sense that you could slip and fall in the tub. if anyone slips in the shower, the worst thing is they move over an inch or 2 and bump the wall. :p

A little while later there was a knock on the BALCONY door!!

I have never had anyone on the balcony without prior notice.

Several times we've received a letter that the next day all the

balcony interconnect doors would be open, and the balconies

would be pressure washed. We've also been notified that

the railings would be varnished. ...and advised to keep

the curtains closed for privacy.

It's kind of cool to be able to look quite far along the side of

the ship, through the open balcony doors.

Also, security can always enter the room from the hallway,

regardless of the 'deadbolt'.

Archived