Princess vs Celebrity in light of 3 new policy changes

Dena

Are you sure about #3 Formal Nights dress code ?????

I doubt the op is entirely correct about the formal night matter. If you want to go to dinner in any of the MDR's the dress code counts, but there are alternative dining venues for those not observing the formal nights that are available. Perhaps that was the meaning of the statements in the e-mail. Princess has not made any announcement to the contrary that I have seen at this point.

Are you sure that Celebrity's dining rooms are open for lunch on port days? They were not on our last Celebrity cruise.

Celebrity also has a stricter enforcement of its one bottle of wine per person rule. Security actually took the two bottles of wine we were bringing on our last Celebrity cruise. I was promised we'd get them back that evening, but it took three visits to guest relations to finally get them the second night.

In the end, I still look to see what Princess, Celebrity, and HAL are offering for the dates we can sail. I go with the best itinerary and price that fit our schedule.

Sorry, but that just doesn't happen on formal nights. The least you'll see is someone with a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants.

Now on casual evenings then I'll have to agree that people do wear the jeans, (and even T shirts), which are allowed on all the ships we've been on lately.

We sat with a very nice couple from Texas on the Crown on the 2nd formal night and they were both in jeans, we felt very over dressed in evening wear.

Sorry, but that just doesn't happen on formal nights. The least you'll see is someone with a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants.

Now on casual evenings then I'll have to agree that people do wear the jeans, (and even T shirts), which are allowed on all the ships we've been on lately.

this does happen and getting a more regular site happend on our last cruise to the baltics on the emerald p in may , more than one person on formal night in mdr in jeans ,sweat bottoms ,t shirt.

it does seem the ones who bother are getting out numberd and made to feel out of place

The DW and I took our very first cruise in Sep 2010 and did a lot of research regarding formal nights. We did attend, dressed according to the dress code. We saw a number of passengers who were not interested in attending the formal event, passing through the area, some dress casual others very relaxed. It really doesn't matter to me whether or not there are formal nights but I do believe that if you are going to attend you should attempt to comply with the dress code, keeping in mind that there are people aboard that are from all walks of life and tolerance is the key. Those we saw who were not "dressed to code" had no affect on our enjoyment of the event. I think that if there is enough interest in having "formal nights" it will remain as will a dress code of some sort.

I don't believe Formal night "dress codes" are required at all. From the Princess website, the only thing not permitted in the dining rooms is inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) Also, shoes must be worn. Everything else is should or requested, such as:

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

So, if you want to go along with should or please, that is fine, but if you don't cross the line of not permitted, you most likely will still be allowed in the dining rooms, even on Formal nights.

I am trying to figure out as a first timer in Jan. on Princess (crown) what we should pack for formal nights. DH and I dress according to the guidelines on Celebrity which are basically the same on Princess.

You will see VERY FEW men in just shirt and tie. Less than 10 %. MOST wear dark suits. Maybe 20 % in tuxes. 30% in dark sportcoats and tie. (Numbers vary and the ships ARE a bit more casual on 7 dayers.)

From what I have been reading on this board, sounds like me in a cocktail dress and DH in dark suit will be over dressed??? Will we be in the minority? We actually like a more formal atmosphere ship wide a few nights.

this does happen and getting a more regular site happend on our last cruise to the baltics on the emerald p in may , more than one person on formal night in mdr in jeans ,sweat bottoms ,t shirt.

it does seem the ones who bother are getting out numberd and made to feel out of place

From my point of view, that's good to hear although I don't wear the T shirt on formal night but resort to a dress shirt. From the on going reports and what I've see on the last few years + the recent survey, it appears that Princess is about to announce a decision about the formal dress once & for all. I'm sure they will take a stance based on the $$ they'll either lose or gain by it.

My celebrity experience was very similar to Pam's . - completely overrated. It's the only time I've ever actually wanted to spit out a dessert. Interesting that you think the dining rooms have a better atmosphere on the S class. A lot of the reviews I've read say the opposite, very loud with tables far too close together

Yeah, and this IS the Princess board, after all, so I would anticipate comments more in favor of Princess. I'm stating my personal experience only and the desserts were fabulous, but I was referring more to the dining room desserts than the buffet. As for the noise factor, I've never noticed anymore noise than on other ships,

except for Royal Caribbean last year, with the triple-decker dining room, it was quite loud. Never noticed that on Celebrity.

DISCLAIMER: The above paragraph refers to Cruise Junky's post only. The remaining part of this post does not inculpate Cruise Junky. It is me merely generalizing

I wouldn't expect many on this board to choose Celebrity as their preferred cruise line. I have been on way more Princess cruises than

X cruises; however, that is because of convenience. We've always enjoyed Princess's product especially due to the 24/7 buffet

and the casually elegant atmosphere, but we don't claim dedication to any one cruise line. I know some on this board ONLY cruise with Princess, and I am not naming anybody, because we already know who they are, but believe it or not, Princess is not the last frontier.;)

It's interesting to me that so many of the Princess Elites seem disappointed by Celebrity, and I'm wondering if it's because they don't like it as much because they don't get special perks on Celebrity that they're used to getting on Princess? or perhaps they're not getting that extra-special recognition from staff members that they've grown accustomed to like the most-traveled luncheons, et cet? Just a thought.

I am trying to figure out as a first timer in Jan. on Princess (crown) what we should pack for formal nights. DH and I dress according to the guidelines on Celebrity which are basically the same on Princess.

You will see VERY FEW men in just shirt and tie. Less than 10 %. MOST wear dark suits. Maybe 20 % in tuxes. 30% in dark sportcoats and tie. (Numbers vary and the ships ARE a bit more casual on 7 dayers.)

From what I have been reading on this board, sounds like me in a cocktail dress and DH in dark suit will be over dressed??? Will we be in the minority? We actually like a more formal atmosphere ship wide a few nights.

On our last Caribbean cruise on X Eclipse I wore a tux and was very concerned that I would be overdressed. All that I can say is that I felt very comfortable in a tux and also have worn tuxs and dark suits on Princess and also did not feel out of place. Personally I would opt for a dark suit if most convenient and would consider a tux if one was so inclined. You really can't be overdressed and even with a tux you won't be dressed any better than the waiters.

An older gentlemen tailor commented on my statement that I was getting older, " we don't get older we just get more elegant". I like it.

Yeah, and this IS the Princess board, after all, so I would anticipate comments more in favor of Princess. I'm stating my personal experience only and the desserts were fabulous, that's the truth, and as for the loudness factor, I've never noticed anymore noise than on other ships,

except for Royal Caribbean last year, with the triple-decker dining room, it was quite loud. Never noticed that on Celebrity.

I wouldn't expect many on this board to choose Celebrity as their preferred cruise line. I have been on way more Princess cruises than

X cruises; however, that is because of convenience. We've always enjoyed Princess's product especially due to the 24/7 buffet

and the casually elegant atmosphere, but we don't claim dedication to any one cruise line. I know some on this board ONLY cruise with Princess, and I am not naming anybody, because we already know who they are, but believe it or not, Princess is not the last frontier.;)

You're obviously reading something that I didn't type. I don't believe I made any comparison to Princess. I've cruised 5 different lines. My comments were strictly aimed at my X cruise.

I truly do not understand this whole discussion about 'dress codes'. Why do you care what someone else hangs on their body? If you like a particular cut of cloth on yours, by all means wear that. Why not let them have the same choices?

I have never understood the prejudice that is 'clothing discrimination'. Not really anywhere, except in those circumstances where health and safety are concerned [hard hat on construction site, for example]. I would never require anyone to 'dress' as I do. I WANT them to be individuals, to make choices they are comfortable with. Why would anyone require me to conform? What does it serve?

'Clothing discrimination' is really an undertone for a deeper problem [the psychologist in me says]. That is the persistant human need to feel 'pride', that is, to prove themselve among the 'worthy'. It manifests as 'outrage' publically but hides as contempt inside. Sad to say, all versions of judgement based on surface features is hidden contempt, the need to feel superior.

So, all that said, why not just wear what you like, and get to know [or not] the depths of those around you without such judgements. I obviously hope Princess follows NCL and says 'dress to enjoy yourself, and let others do that also'.

BTW: Reading some of the upscale cruise line sites seems to make it clear many have less or no formal days. Isn't that interesting.

PS: My pschologist sometimes emerges and does these little rants. No offense intended. Take it for what it is worth to you. I will gladly enjoy meeting you in any costume you like, that I promise.

Doug

You're obviously reading something that I didn't type. I don't believe I made any comparison to Princess. I've cruised 5 different lines. My comments were strictly aimed at my X cruise.

Yes, I did read what you wrote about the noise in the X dining rooms and responded and I responded to your comment about the desserts.

I only highlighted your post and responded appropriately, and then expounded on some other issues.

I have written a disclaimer, Cruise Junky, exonerating you from all blame. Please re-read post.

Sorry but it does, table close to us on Emerald last December, two guys. Quite a few in short sleeve shirts too:rolleyes:

OP, what is the purpose of your posts? I've seen several very similar ones from you, and it's never quite clear.:confused:

If you're looking for affirmation that Celebrity is the better cruise line, you'll never know until you try it. I say Take the Leap and judge for yourself!:rolleyes:

I truly do not understand this whole discussion about 'dress codes'. Why do you care what someone else hangs on their body? If you like a particular cut of cloth on yours, by all means wear that. Why not let them have the same choices?

I have never understood the prejudice that is 'clothing discrimination'. Not really anywhere, except in those circumstances where health and safety are concerned [hard hat on construction site, for example]. I would never require anyone to 'dress' as I do. I WANT them to be individuals, to make choices they are comfortable with. Why would anyone require me to conform? What does it serve?

'Clothing discrimination' is really an undertone for a deeper problem [the psychologist in me says]. That is the persistant human need to feel 'pride', that is, to prove themselve among the 'worthy'. It manifests as 'outrage' publically but hides as contempt inside. Sad to say, all versions of judgement based on surface features is hidden contempt, the need to feel superior.

So, all that said, why not just wear what you like, and get to know [or not] the depths of those around you without such judgements. I obviously hope Princess follows NCL and says 'dress to enjoy yourself, and let others do that also'.

BTW: Reading some of the upscale cruise line sites seems to make it clear many have less or no formal days. Isn't that interesting.

PS: My pschologist sometimes emerges and does these little rants. No offense intended. Take it for what it is worth to you. I will gladly enjoy meeting you in any costume you like, that I promise.

Doug

For me, it's not what they are wearing on their backs. It's all about attitude. It's the fact that the cruiseline has requested a certain dress guideline for formal evenings and has provided other alternative dining for those who don't wish to participate.

Yet, there are those who don't give a .....and do what they feel like doing.

These people show an "attitude" that I am just not comfortable with. It isn't a problem of what they are wearing, but the way they handle the situation.

Dress however you want, but don't seek approval from others if it is your choice to be different.

I find it particularly annoying when posters try to convince newbies that it is ok to ignore the Princess guidelines. They do this because they don't want to be in the minority anymore.

So now Princess is doing a survey...Good! If they see that formal no longer is the way to go and adopt a do your own thing policy, then I will be all for it.

If they decide to keep formal nights, then I will dress for them if I choose to participate. I will eat elsewhere if I choose not to participate.

Thank you Mom33, I agree.

I have never eaten in the MDR. Only two cruises, but on both I have eaten in the buffet except once on each where I tried the Specialty. [Loved Bayou on Coral!]. I have followed the dress policy, even though I want it to change. I paid for what was offered, and I accept that. But I DO hope we can get past this 'formal' = 'special' attitude specifically designed to seperate based on an artificial criteria.

BTW: I think on the next trip I will eat in the MDR. I actually do have some slacks and a golf shirt, that should work on non-formal nights. I really avoid long sit downs because am ADHD and the buffet fits that. But on occasion I can stand it for something special. Someone has put the idea of escargot in my head here, and I think I must persue it in the MDR. :)

Doug

In trying to familiarize myself with Princess since I'm a 1st timer I must say there's so much in common.

I don't agree about the balcony cabins on Celebrity. We had (on Solstice & Eclipse) beautiful balcony low level cabins - one partially obstructed and one not at all obstructed. No smoke and partially obstructed was fine. lots of room inside - had bed by balcony and nice couch near closet & bathroom - yes, there was a refrig.

But MDR in port closed on Cel - now to be closed on Princess

Horizon court, as I understand no longer open 24 hrs.

Formal nights not as formal as years ago.

I don't remember anyone reaching for my plate in the Buffet on Celebrity

Desserts were delicious

Food is very good but not as much steak as years past. Think they are both trying to save $

Liked the music especially smaller jazz groups in lounges, late night comedy shows, classical at coffee cafe and pooldeck motown on Celebrity. I'm sure I'll find something to like on Princess too

I am trying Princess primarily because they have a nice itinerary for 7-night and Celebrity itineraries are a bit boring

The 2 lines seem more alike than different. I'm trying to be open-minded.

OP, what is the purpose of your posts? I've seen several very similar ones from you, and it's never quite clear.:confused:

If you're looking for affirmation that Celebrity is the better cruise line, you'll never know until you try it. I say Take the Leap and judge for yourself!:rolleyes:

I am sorry you are so easily confused.

It should be clear that my purpose is to gather information Isn't that why many of us are on these boards. I may indeed take the leap since everyone learns from experience. But only a fool learns everything from experience.

I am sorry you are so easily confused.

It should be clear that my purpose is to gather information Isn't that why many of us are on these boards. I may indeed take the leap since everyone learns from experience. But only a fool learns everything from experience.

Oh hunnie, there's no need to get defensive!

In light of the fact that you're not asking a question, your post reads as if you're debating with YOURSELF! I simply find that strange on an online message board. If you try asking an outright question, maybe you'll get the answer you're looking for!:rolleyes:

Oh hunnie, there's no need to get defensive!

In light of the fact that you're not asking a question, your post reads as if you're debating with YOURSELF! I simply find that strange on an online message board. If you try asking an outright question, maybe you'll get the answer you're looking for!:rolleyes:

I am getting what I'm looking for. Well, perhaps not from you.

Archived