Priincess Survey

Tiffany's mom

Having a background in statistics and being familiar with statistical sampling I understand why many of you have not been sent a survey.

If Princess follows a typical random sampling protocol, they will be able to get reliable results without the sample being large. I will not go into theory here (pay for your own MBA :D) but all they need is a big enough sample to have the level of reliability they desire (generally 95 or 99 percent).

The message here is don't be upset if you weren't surveyed, if Princess is using an honest sample from a true universe the opinion from your demographic has been taken.

so a honest sample of the survey is no brits ,oz,s ,new zealanders ,europeans. just american passengers who carnival and princess class as their home demographic customers and the rest just fill the empty spaces so dont matter.

no matter what we say or think princess will do what they want and we,ll just have to get on with it. their saying will come into the limelight again the line that gives you the choice . ( you have the choice cruise with us or not we dont care)

Hi All

I think Princess has the mix right just now, I do not want formal every night,

however I do not burger and pizza every night either,

just Princess is offering a good mix, you are free to do your own thing,

I was not aware that I was ment to behave differently just because I was wearing a tie, or prade for the enjoyment of others.

Now many will wear suites to work etc, I do not, infact I do not even own one, however I do like to go to the odd formal event from time to time,

and therefore enjoy the chance to attend formal nights while on holiday.

There are cruise lines that have no formal nights, why does Princess

have to follow them,

if the Royal comes out with zip lines, flow rider, etc I will not be booking a

cruise on her, not because I think these should not be on a cruise ship,

far from it, there is already a cruise line that does these things very well

what I want when picking my next cruise, is a number of cruise lines

offering different cruise experiences, not a few companies offering the

same product hell bent of offering it at the cheapest cost, cruises ships

are not low cost airlines.

yours Shogun

DH and other family were so pleased to hear that they might not have to take suits along. For me, it's a plus because of fewer and lighter suitcases. So much more relaxing, too! After all, I go on a cruise to relax. Wonder what that is going to do to all those formal night photos taken by Princess, though.

It seems, like most surveys for just about anything, the surveys are send out to random passengers (usually picked by the computer for reasons unknown) to a representative group. Just like the political polls. I have never looked at them as actual representatives of what every person wants, but only a random group.

To date, as an Elite passenger, I have never received one of Princess surveys.

We are Elite as well and, like you, have never received a survey request to fill out. We know that they are randomly sent, however, we have all filled out the questionnaire which provides them with the demographic information they need to structure a "random" search of all past passengers.

Call me cynical, but I tend to think that they want to move in a certain direction to make Princess more attractive to the "younger crowd" which might not have the same Love Boat feelings that we might have. Most of the older, experienced cruisers like the formal nights and the experience of dressing up and feeling special. Maybe the younger crowd they want to attract doesn't really care about the dress-up nights and think of the ship as just one big bus to take them from one island to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]Doug R.[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30644411#post30644411"][IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]Having a background in statistics and being familiar with statistical sampling I understand why many of you have not been sent a survey.[/I]

[I]If Princess follows a typical random sampling protocol, they will be able to get reliable results without the sample being large. I will not go into theory here (pay for your own MBA :D) but all they need is a big enough sample to have the level of reliability they desire (generally 95 or 99 percent).[/I]

[I]The message here is don't be upset if you weren't surveyed, if Princess is using an honest sample from a true universe the opinion from your demographic has been taken.[/I]

[quote name='cp160']so a honest sample of the survey is no brits ,oz,s ,new zealanders ,europeans. just american passengers who carnival and princess class as their home demographic customers and the rest just fill the empty spaces so dont matter.
no matter what we say or think princess will do what they want and we,ll just have to get on with it. their saying will come into the limelight again the line that gives you the choice . ( you have the choice cruise with us or not we dont care) [/quote]

How do you know that these nationalities have been excluded? As for the rest of the post why does everything need to be a conspiracy?

[quote name='loge23']We received one and replied. Clearly, Princess is at least discussing formal nights much as many on these pages do.
We're black card holders and, like many others, have noticed a significant drop-off in formal clad passengers over the last 10 years. For us, we still go formal - particularly on Holiday cruises and when the cruise leaves from our home port (a drive away). But even that is changing. We cruised over Spring Break last March and didn't dress for one formal night - even though we packed the tux/gown. It was a Caribbean cruise after all and we were on a much-needed rest. I don't wear a tie for work and I sure wasn't about to put one on for the cruise - twice!
This Oct. we are on the New England sailing. Formal wear will probably require one more bag checked, for a fee, on the dreaded flight to the port. It's not the fee - it's the hassle - so we're debating whether to skip it. The shoes, tux, and gowns will be worn twice - is it worth it?
Many things have changed in our 20+ years of cruising and we suspect that formal nights will eventually vanish. We suggested on our questionnaire that they segregate a section of a DR for people who prefer to dine formally dressed. As many others have noted, there's alternatives aboard also. Princess, after all, hangs their hat on "Personal Choice" and "Escaping Completely". This issue gives Princess a golden opportunity to reinforce those marketing goals.[/quote]
[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Well said! It's a hassle to bring 'fussy' clothing only to wear it once/twice, not to mention the airline fees should additional baggage be required. However, most people use common sense when dining in the evening so I hope the lack of formal wear does not go to the entire opposite end of the spectrum whereby people feel comfy cozy in their jeans at dinner.:([/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Grego']We are Elite as well and, like you, have never received a survey request to fill out. We know that they are randomly sent, however, we have all filled out the questionnaire which provides them with the demographic information they need to structure a "random" search of all past passengers.

Call me cynical, but I tend to think that they want to move in a certain direction to make Princess more attractive to the "younger crowd" which might not have the same Love Boat feelings that we might have. Most of the older, experienced cruisers like the formal nights and the experience of dressing up and feeling special. [COLOR=red]Maybe the younger crowd they want to attract doesn't really care about the dress-up nights[/COLOR] and think of the ship as just one big bus to take them from one island to the next.[/quote]

Then let them cruise NCL, RCCL or Carnival. If Alan Buckelew and his crew in Santa Clarita want to attract people, perhaps adapting to the norm of everyone, so be it.

Perhaps rethink a business plan whereby they should try to be a little unique with a focussed campaign on a return to a "stated elegance of yesteryear" cruising and not conforming to be a floating hote for the masses as the other lines, rather an example of high class service and a cruising experience to be emulated by others, which is truly representative of their famous acronym "C.R.U.I.S.E."

Alan, it is after all food for thought.

Ciao for now!!!

[quote name='Doug R.']Quote:
Originally Posted by [B]Doug R.[/B] [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30644411#post30644411"][IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG][/URL]
[I]Having a background in statistics and being familiar with statistical sampling I understand why many of you have not been sent a survey.[/I]

[I]If Princess follows a typical random sampling protocol, they will be able to get reliable results without the sample being large. I will not go into theory here (pay for your own MBA :D) but all they need is a big enough sample to have the level of reliability they desire (generally 95 or 99 percent).[/I]

[I]The message here is don't be upset if you weren't surveyed, if Princess is using an honest sample from a true universe the opinion from your demographic has been taken.[/I]

[COLOR="Red"]Thanks for a professional's input which is what I said very early in this thread. It's a representative survey to cover all levels of Princess passengers. Too bad it has to continue for so long by those who are upset & wonder 'why not me'. It's nothing to be taken as a personal insult but one done randomly based on the criteria to get a broad range of opinions. The option to send Princess opinions directly would be another way to express their opinions on any aspect of a Princess cruise.[/COLOR]

How do you know that these nationalities have been excluded? As for the rest of the post why does everything need to be a conspiracy?
__________________[/QUOTE]
Exactly!

[quote name='Doug R.']Quote:

__________________[/quote]
now where did i say its a conspiracy all i said is the princess will do what they want. regards to what you ,me or anyone else wants.
if they keep formal nights or remove it ,wont stop me from sailing with them.

I received a survey through Princess via Synovate market research on Cruising & Cabin selection. I answered a few questions about how many times I have been on each cruise line and the survey stopped and said I did not qualify. I have mostly cruised Princess but a few other lines 1 time each.
Wow, I guess they did not need my opinions.:D
Anyone else have this happen?

We are elite. We have also, like many people, sampled many lines. DH received the survey; I didn't, nor did DS. We dress up and enjoy doing it. We realize that it isn't for everyone, but it was better when almost everyone did dress up. (At least that's our opinion.) For what it's worth, DS (22) likes to wear his tux. It isn't just us old fogies.
Ohiodoglover

Archived