Priincess Survey

Tiffany's mom

I understand that Princess e-mailed a survey out about dress code for formal night.

I did not recent one and most cruisers I know did not get one. I hope I Princess what care what Elite cruisers would say about this subject. I hate to think that a standard of cruising will be not longer. Cruising is not the same as it was 20 years ago. It was so special to go on a cruise, now it is just a floating hotel.

Princess I am waiting for my survey.

We received one and replied. Clearly, Princess is at least discussing formal nights much as many on these pages do.

We're black card holders and, like many others, have noticed a significant drop-off in formal clad passengers over the last 10 years. For us, we still go formal - particularly on Holiday cruises and when the cruise leaves from our home port (a drive away). But even that is changing. We cruised over Spring Break last March and didn't dress for one formal night - even though we packed the tux/gown. It was a Caribbean cruise after all and we were on a much-needed rest. I don't wear a tie for work and I sure wasn't about to put one on for the cruise - twice!

This Oct. we are on the New England sailing. Formal wear will probably require one more bag checked, for a fee, on the dreaded flight to the port. It's not the fee - it's the hassle - so we're debating whether to skip it. The shoes, tux, and gowns will be worn twice - is it worth it?

Many things have changed in our 20+ years of cruising and we suspect that formal nights will eventually vanish. We suggested on our questionnaire that they segregate a section of a DR for people who prefer to dine formally dressed. As many others have noted, there's alternatives aboard also. Princess, after all, hangs their hat on "Personal Choice" and "Escaping Completely". This issue gives Princess a golden opportunity to reinforce those marketing goals.

It seems, like most surveys for just about anything, the surveys are send out to random passengers (usually picked by the computer for reasons unknown) to a representative group. Just like the political polls. I have never looked at them as actual representatives of what every person wants, but only a random group.

To date, as an Elite passenger, I have never received one of Princess surveys.

I feel like Toto that it's a representive sample survey like those done for other things. Those generally represent the feelings of the larger group quite well by selecting a scientific sampling group. It's probably set up to find out the opinions of all levels of passengers & not merely their most frequent passengers. I'm not a marketing expert but would think they want the feelings of a broad group of passengers before making any changes.

I received a survey once about the time I became elite & the only new question I recall was about combining repeat passenger benefits for all CCL companies.

After considering it in the past, next month will be my 1st cruise not going formal. Part of it is because it includes train travel with more restrictive luggage limits; part is to try a more relaxing cruise. Then I'll decided whether or not to go formal on future cruises...it's good to have options. :D

Anyone who got the survey able to let us see what it looks like? It would be interesting to see what Princess is looking into.

If it was like mine, it was the same format as the current post-cruise survey. I guess someone could copy/paste the questions into a Word document but don't know if anyone did it.

Without redirecting this to a formal/none formal posting of which we have had our full share, I find it disheartening that those who really approve of dressing for the formal evenings would succumb to the pressures of those who do not. Survey or no survey and we have not been part of one (perhaps Elite is considered a captive market and therefore numerically unrepresented) we strongly support the idea of formal dress even if we have to be the last two passengers to do so. It is not a comfort/weight/baggage thing, it's a concept.

Without redirecting this to a formal/none formal posting of which we have had our full share, I find it disheartening that those who really approve of dressing for the formal evenings would succumb to the pressures of those who do not. Survey or no survey and we have not been part of one (perhaps Elite is considered a captive market and therefore numerically unrepresented) we strongly support the idea of formal dress even if we have to be the last two passengers to do so. It is not a comfort/weight/baggage thing, it's a concept.

Well perhaps it's a concept that past it's time and that's what Princess wants to find out. I applaud them surveying a cross section of their passengers to see how they feel. Just surveying Elite doesn't work. They need to listen to ALL passengers.

It is not a comfort/weight/baggage thing, it's a concept.

Amen!

I agree with providing choice. At least one DR should be reserved for formal dining on those nights currently designated as such. Yes, we are all free to wear formal wear at any time at home or at sea, but who wears it to McDonalds? My point is we want to wear it as part of an atmosphere along with others who want that experience, and formal nights have given us that opportunity. It has nothing to do with income or any other social discriminator...it's simply something we like to do.

We won't stop cruising if formal nights disappear, but our overall experience will diminish.

Well perhaps it's a concept that past it's time and that's what Princess wants to find out. I applaud them surveying a cross section of their passengers to see how they feel. Just surveying Elite doesn't work. They need to listen to ALL passengers.

Our concern was for those who are in favour of the concept but who may succumb to the pressures of those against. Obviously this does not apply to you. And as far as the survey is concerned it is hoped that the Elite would be statically represented and not thought of as just a captive market group.

were another elite couple who have never recieved a survey from princess.

we enjoy formal night and dressing the part .

you,ll probably find princess idea of a cross selection is 70% first timers and 30 % return passengers. they no theyre going to get us elites / platinums on their ships and are after new returnees. its a case of loyalty doesn,t matter ,times are changing and on princess it could be for the worse:(

Amen!

....point is we want to wear it as part of an atmosphere along with others who want that experience

I guess Princess is trying to find out how many actually WANT this experience vs those who only comply out of a sense of obligation. Even if I enjoyed formal night, I would not attempt to force others to comply. In some ways this reminds me of those who tried to stop anytime dining...they actually wanted to force people to dine with them.

Each of the new Princess' policies seems to be designed to attract younger people. I don't agree with all the changes, but am happy to see smoking and (hopefully) formal night go. Clothing choice does not denote socioeconomic class as much as it used to. Most work places are casual now as are most fine dining establishments. I believe formal night is archaic and dropping it would not cheapen my evening. Some of the most up market lines have no formal nights.

I guess Princess is trying to find out how many actually WANT this experience vs those who only comply out of a sense of obligation. Even if I enjoyed formal night, I would not attempt to force others to comply. In some ways this reminds me of those who tried to stop anytime dining...they actually wanted to force people to dine with them.

Each of the new Princess' policies seems to be designed to attract younger people. I don't agree with all the changes, but am happy to see smoking and (hopefully) formal night go. Clothing choice does not denote socioeconomic class as much as it used to. Most work places are casual now as are most fine dining establishments. I believe formal night is archaic and dropping it would not cheapen my evening. Some of the most up market lines have no formal nights.

so we do away with formal nights ,whats next !!! why do we need cabin stewards but to make our beds ,wash our sink .were quite capable of doing this ourselfs. why do we need spas ,shops on board just another way of making money from pax

We are Elite and we also never have received a survey. What would these people do if they had to dress up for every meal like the "good old days"? Maybe Princess should just have a couple of cruises (Mexican or Caribbean) some winter or spring season that has no formal nights and see how many buy into that. I would bet that they sell a lot of buckets.

I am Platinum and recieved the survey on Friday. I did respond but then deleted it. It was about a 5 or 6 page survey with 2 areas to add comments. It refered to formal dress and formal nights. Asked if we participated in formal nights and what if any changes we would like to see.

I am Elite and did receive the survey. I said get rid of it but still have dress requirements like dress pants and shirts. I do not want to wear formal and have not in several cruises. On recent cruises I have seen very few in formal wear. We are in the 21st century and people do not dress up enough and most on cruise ships are there to relax after a hectic time at work.

I guess Princess is trying to find out how many actually WANT this experience vs those who only comply out of a sense of obligation... Some of the most up market lines have no formal nights.

With Carnival having several lines from which to choose, one would think that perhaps Holland American would be a more suitable line to redirect their "formal" customers. If they would allow transfer of our Elite status this would be a no brainer. Then Princess could get on with it's water slides, it canopy cable rides, it's all night buffet and disco happenings. And yes, the up market lines have no formal nights but they apply a standard of dress code that Princess has long forgotten.

Archived