Priincess Survey

Tiffany's mom

They removed the whole thread. Please post it again.

I can't. I copied and pasted it while going through the survey. I no longer have access to it.

It basically asked that out of a 7 night cruise, how many nights should be formal, if Cruise Line A has 0 formal nights and Cruise Line B has 2, which cruise line would you sail with, I think it asked what I wore on formal nights and what suggestions I could make for formal nights....

BTW - out of 2 elite people in my household, only one of us received it.

I can't. I copied and pasted it while going through the survey. I no longer have access to it.

It basically asked that out of a 7 night cruise, how many nights should be formal, if Cruise Line A has 0 formal nights and Cruise Line B has 2, which cruise line would you sail with, I think it asked what I wore on formal nights and what suggestions I could make for formal nights....

BTW - out of 2 elite people in my household, only one of us received it.

And for us, while we usually receive one of everything, neither one of us did. My answer though would be easy. I would choose zero.

And for us, while we usually receive one of everything, neither one of us did. My answer though would be easy. I would choose zero.

I choose zero also. There was a time I enjoyed it but with all the hassles with airline fees right now, I really no longer enjoy carrying around formal clothes.

I suggested that one dining room or a portion of a dining room (depending on the ship) be labeled formal for those who want to partake and eat with others who are dressed similarly.

Additionally, we never get any of the promotions my email, even though we have subscribed onlined numerous times. :(

It is because you always have a cruise booked. Once you no longer do (which will never happen in your case) - you will receive email specials.

I choose zero also. There was a time I enjoyed it but with all the hassles with airline fees right now, I really no longer enjoy carrying around formal clothes.

I suggested that one dining room or a portion of a dining room (depending on the ship) be labeled formal for those who want to partake and eat with others who are dressed similarly.

This afternoon while we were discussing our upcoming cruises, my husband asked if taking a suit was necessary. We will be on the Ocean for 28 days, followed by the Pacific for 31. The little ships are far more formal than the biggies and I recall not so long ago when men were barred from the diningroom w/o a jacket on formal nights.

I would also choose Zero but if they kept formal night I would just eat in the Buffet. I do not think the food on formal night is any big deal. Especially what they call lobster is a joke. Its just my opinion and Im sure the reply from princess shills will tell me its the best they ever had.

How would that suggestion be handled? :confused:

I don't see how they could make any restaurant just for formalwear on those couple of nights. Who would you suggest be booted out of their restaurant...those in TD or in an AT dining room? It sounds like a logistical nightmare that would have too many variables to manage on each cruise.

Making a suggestion for a change should also include a way for it to be implemented, right? :rolleyes:

I don't pretend to know enough to have THE solution, but there are posibilities requiring compromise by all.

Here is one:

First a key assumption--formal nights are generally on sea days or days with early departures from port, so there would be no issue with folks returning from excursions late.

--Advance the dining time for TD by 30 minutes each for formal nights only. TD folks who don't want to dress formally would go to their normal table albeit 30 minutes earlier. (Their compromise)

--Those who wish to be in formal environment will have an especially late dinner--start close to 9PM. Seating would be as currently in AD--tables and dinner companions as available. (Their compromise.)

--Perhaps schedule a special cocktail party (pay-as-you-go of course;)) for those formally dressed to be held in appropriate venue. This would provide even more formal ambience for those desiring it. (Requires CD to be sure there is no show conflict--his/her compromise.)

Here is another:

For formal nights only, segregate the TD dining room and guarantee no one a specific table.

--TD diners who don't want to dress up will be served in the "smart casual" section at the normally designated times (early or late) but possibly/probably not at their usual table. (Their compromise)

--All formal diners would go to the TD dirning room anytime during the serving hours and sit in the formal section of the room. Again, essentially turning that part of the room into AD for formal nights only. No guarantee time or table location. (Their compromise.)

--How many tables should be reserved for each diner type? Perhaps folks should be asked to "declare" their formal night preference on their personalizer before embarking or even at check-in. (After all, at that point they know whether they packed formal attire.) I'm sure after several weeks/months, patterns would emerge allowing the MD to get a pretty good feel for what he'd need even in the absence of a pre-cruise declaration.

I'm sure there are issues I haven't addressed. The point is there are ways to handle this as long everyone is willing to abandon "all or nothing" positions.

I don't pretend to know enough to have THE solution, but there are posibilities requiring compromise by all.

Here is one:

First a key assumption--formal nights are generally on sea days or days with early departures from port, so there would be no issue with folks returning from excursions late.

--Advance the dining time for TD by 30 minutes each for formal nights only. TD folks who don't want to dress formally would go to their normal table albeit 30 minutes earlier. (Their compromise)

--Those who wish to be in formal environment will have an especially late dinner--start close to 9PM. Seating would be as currently in AD--tables and dinner companions as available. (Their compromise.)

--Perhaps schedule a special cocktail party (pay-as-you-go of course;)) for those formally dressed to be held in appropriate venue. This would provide even more formal ambience for those desiring it. (Requires CD to be sure there is no show conflict--his/her compromise.)

Here is another:

For formal nights only, segregate the TD dining room and guarantee no one a specific table.

--TD diners who don't want to dress up will be served in the "smart casual" section at the normally designated times (early or late) but possibly/probably not at their usual table. (Their compromise)

--All formal diners would go to the TD dirning room anytime during the serving hours and sit in the formal section of the room. Again, essentially turning that part of the room into AD for formal nights only. No guarantee time or table location. (Their compromise.)

--How many tables should be reserved for each diner type? Perhaps folks should be asked to "declare" their formal night preference on their personalizer before embarking or even at check-in. (After all, at that point they know whether they packed formal attire.) I'm sure after several weeks/months, patterns would emerge allowing the MD to get a pretty good feel for what he'd need even in the absence of a pre-cruise declaration.

I'm sure there are issues I haven't addressed. The point is there are ways to handle this as long everyone is willing to abandon "all or nothing" positions.

You've obviously thought about this... good for you, and worth thinking about.

Here is one:

Here is another:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your suggestions...I truly appreciate it. :)

All interesting options that could be explored to see if that would be feasible to do. It could come down to how easy it will be to manage these changes but definitely something to consider for those who feel like you & others. I've seen Princess respond to a need & a suggestion on how to improve their cruises. Hopefully you'll share your feelings with them to see if it's possible. I know they appreciate suggestions on how to improve things but not for those who merely complain without offering a better way to do things.

Thanks again & good luck with this idea! :D

Its beginning to look like NCL has been ahead of the curve for years. You want to dress, have at it, but making some of us dress for others enjoyment or need to be in some kind of formal atmosphere has long passed. Its vacation and relaxation and being comfortable are paramount to most, in addition to having to carry extra clothing.

For those that believe the formal wear changes ones stature or the way they behave, I haven't noticed any difference in folks on casual nights as opposed to formal nights.

Honestly, as low as cruise prices are, I wouldn't mind if MDR's were eliminated. Put a bunch of reasonably priced decent restaurants on board with different venues and we could all have what we want without experiencing the decline of MDR's food and service as we are now. For those that don't want to pay a few extra dollars for a quality meal and service, buffets, and family style restaurants like Applebees could be substituted. If I currently pay around $100-125 a day pp, I'd gladly pony up another $25 for a quality meal on 5 or 6 nights of a 7 day cruise.

I know I'm gonna killed on the Applebees comment, however, sometimes many of us just want a decent hamburger, fries and a cold one for dinner.

I know I'm gonna killed on the Applebees comment, however, sometimes many of us just want a decent hamburger, fries and a cold one for dinner.

You'll get no disagreement from us. I'd say at least twice per cruise, we're on our deck for dinner with a great bottle of wine and either a burger or pizza.

No survey here, either. But I am only a lowly gold, having completed just two Princess Cruises. However, I don't get surveys for RCI, either - and I'm Diamond there!

We recently sailed on NCL & I am pleased to report that we enjoyed the option to dress up or not on what used to be their formal night. I was prepared to hate it, but did not. Actually DH loved not having to take a suit along and he said he would be willing to cruise on NCL again for that reason alone, that is how strongly he felt about it. Times ARE changing and we are a more casual society. If the cruiselines want to attract a younger generation (which we are not a part of) they have to keep abreast of changing tastes. If they do not continue to appeal to a more diverse & younger clientele they will become just a memory, as our generation will not be around and able to cruise forever.

It does not mean a dumbing down of overall services. As a matter of fact our Hawaii cruise on NCL had some of the best overall service we have experienced in several years on any cruise. And that was on the much criticized Pride of America with it's (almost) all American crew! I would say about 20% of the people on that ship did dress formally on that night, but 80% chose not to do so. I do think it took away a bit from the traditional elegance of formal night, but I can honestly say we did not miss it ourselves. We have enough formal portraits already.

Its beginning to look like NCL has been ahead of the curve for years. You want to dress, have at it, but making some of us dress for others enjoyment or need to be in some kind of formal atmosphere has long passed. Its vacation and relaxation and being comfortable are paramount to most, in addition to having to carry extra clothing.

For those that believe the formal wear changes ones stature or the way they behave, I haven't noticed any difference in folks on casual nights as opposed to formal nights.

Honestly, as low as cruise prices are, I wouldn't mind if MDR's were eliminated. Put a bunch of reasonably priced decent restaurants on board with different venues and we could all have what we want without experiencing the decline of MDR's food and service as we are now. For those that don't want to pay a few extra dollars for a quality meal and service, buffets, and family style restaurants like Applebees could be substituted. If I currently pay around $100-125 a day pp, I'd gladly pony up another $25 for a quality meal on 5 or 6 nights of a 7 day cruise.

Very well put Highlander....thanks:)

And no one has denied you the right to have that burger and brew have they?

You can have it your way and those that want more can have it their way. Princess has always given you the choice.

Bravo, highlander. Well said. I too don't want to dress up for the entertainment of others. I will dress nicely but no more.

its beginning to look like ncl has been ahead of the curve for years. You want to dress, have at it, but making some of us dress for others enjoyment or need to be in some kind of formal atmosphere has long passed. Its vacation and relaxation and being comfortable are paramount to most, in addition to having to carry extra clothing.

For those that believe the formal wear changes ones stature or the way they behave, i haven't noticed any difference in folks on casual nights as opposed to formal nights.

Honestly, as low as cruise prices are, i wouldn't mind if mdr's were eliminated. Put a bunch of reasonably priced decent restaurants on board with different venues and we could all have what we want without experiencing the decline of mdr's food and service as we are now. For those that don't want to pay a few extra dollars for a quality meal and service, buffets, and family style restaurants like applebees could be substituted. If i currently pay around $100-125 a day pp, i'd gladly pony up another $25 for a quality meal on 5 or 6 nights of a 7 day cruise.

I know i'm gonna killed on the applebees comment, however, sometimes many of us just want a decent hamburger, fries and a cold one for dinner.

...For those that believe the formal wear changes ones stature or the way they behave, I haven't noticed any difference in folks on casual nights as opposed to formal nights..

Exactly! We are the same people you meet on the tender but we choose to have some fun on one or two night on our cruise. We need a venue that will not upset those passengers that do not want to participate for whatever reason. But just as the MDR was once that venue, I am sure that whatever now could be allocated would eventually be taken over by those who's job it became to show us they are just as good as we. Well if their objective is to spoil fun then they certainly are not, are they?

Bravo, highlander. Well said. I too don't want to dress up for the entertainment of others. I will dress nicely but no more.

That part of the formal clothing statement always make me chuckle -"dressing for the enjoyment of others". I certainly don't anyone to not enjoy themselves but why put the burden of their enjoyment on me to provide it? :D

Having a background in statistics and being familiar with statistical sampling I understand why many of you have not been sent a survey.

If Princess follows a typical random sampling protocol, they will be able to get reliable results without the sample being large. I will not go into theory here (pay for your own MBA :D) but all they need is a big enough sample to have the level of reliability they desire (generally 95 or 99 percent).

The message here is don't be upset if you weren't surveyed, if Princess is using an honest sample from a true universe the opinion from your demographic has been taken.

We're Platinum and have not received the survey....Instead of a survey about dress codes, why didn't they address the issue about closing the DR on Port days and closing the HC by 11 or 12 o'clock at night...Yet 6 months in advance, they shout all about the "new smoking policy", which only concerns a small portion of the passengers, while eating concerns them all. Not all ships have an IC...and most people don't cruise for pizza and burgers daily...

Princess: get a grip and come back to what you are known for: "great choices".

So much for placing importance....They need to get their "heads" out of "wherever" they have buried them and start focusing on the more important issues concerning passengers, or soon, there will be "none".

Hear Hear !! Well said.

Don't really think that Princess will loose customers due to a change in dress code. In fact, they will probably gain a lot because a lot of cruisers, especially new cruisers, don't want the hassle of formal nights. Just my opinion;)

Hi: I wasn't referring to the dress code, but rather the closing of the DR on Port Days and closing the HC fairly early 11-12 at night, especially on ships with NO IC....:mad:

There are many that MUST have something to eat prior to bed to due medications and medical conditions...Bet they never thought of those issues...Room Service has a few options, but not everyone can choose from that menu...

Charging for Pizza delivery is ridiculous.....should be free on the room service menu.

These are my thoughts..

Don't really think that Princess will loose customers due to a change in dress code. In fact, they will probably gain a lot because a lot of cruisers, especially new cruisers, don't want the hassle of formal nights. Just my opinion;)

I, for one, congratulate Princess on doing the survey. If they truly use the results to make a determination of what to do re: formal nights, good on them -- unfortunately, it won't be universally popular.

I recall when the Anytime Dining concept was introduced. People were concerned about how it would be handled. Initially (and I guess even now), Princess seemed to overestimate how many people would choose Anytime Dining and how many would still want to have the Traditional Dining experience. To me, the number of pax who still choose traditional dining bodes well for a similar subset of folks wanting to maintain some sort of formal night experience.

I could foresee Princess opting to make ONE of the Traditional sittings in ONE of the MDRs the "formal observing" sitting (with the same mix of formal nights per cruise as now). You'd be asked to specify your preference when you make your reservation and spots would be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Others in different sittings would not be stopped from dressing formally, obviously, but may not be in the "formal dining room" group.

Princess may find they have more demand for this than anticipated......or perhaps not. But it seems like a possible solution.

Telling people who like formal night to go the HAL or Cunanrd is not really a solution if they are non smokers.

Keeping formal night mandatory if the majority don't want it and telling them to eat at the buffet or pay for specialty dining is also not a good option.

What about making Sabatini's formal. Then those who want this atmosphere can have it for as many nights as they like.

Keep in mind that there is a level of compromise in almost any decision to be made. If Princess were to make Sabatini's formal, then they'd hear from all the cruisers who enjoy dining there but do NOT want to dress formally (e.g., "Why should I not be able to enjoy the premium dining experience if I don't want to lug along formal clothing...?)

It's all about choice. If formal nights are more important to you than the smoking issue (and that is the case with me, a non-smoker), then HAL or Cunard are certainly viable choices. If the smoking issue is more important, then Princess is still one of your choices.

We can all dream of our "perfect" cruise line when we can afford to charter a cruise just for ourselves. Until then, the lines have to balance your desires with those of the other 3,000 passengers onboard.

Sometimes I think people have lost sight of reality. It's as if someone were going out to buy a car and wanted the performance of a Ferrari, the interior space and comfort of a Cadillac Escalade, the safety of a Volvo, and the gas mileage of a Toyota Prius all for the price of a Kia! You can't have all of those things, so you prioritize which ones are the most important to you.

O.K. I was one of the lucky ones that got a survey. It is short and to the point regarding formal nights. Having sailed many different lines from NCL to Oceania, my honest opinion is that formal formal nights should go away. Just take a look at Oceania to see you don't need formal nights to have excellence in service. I think the no shorts, no jeans, no jackets is a great policy. It is a compromise. we still get to "dress" for dinnerr but don't have to pay for that extra suitcase to pack all the fancy stuff!

Archived