Rick Steves article on tourist scams in Europe

CathyCruises

I was the victim in the National gallery in Washington, DC. Admission is free....easier for a pickpoct than the metro. Be careful in museums. My spouse got hit in Barcelona. We now use Pacsafe bags going to museums anywhere and also in any city where we might be in a crowd. Also, men put a decoy (old empty or $1) wallet in your back pocket. Given a choice the pickpocket will aim for that instead of the real wallet.

If you want a bit of fun, tether the billfold to the pocket with fishing line, then wait for the tell-tail tug and watch the pickpocket fleel. This worked for me on the Via Veneto in Rome. In two instances, the perps were elderly men in dark suits.

So much of travel security is just common sense. Here are some tips we have picked-up and learned during more then forty years of extensive travel. Most are simple and just make good sense. For men: If you carry a wallet put a couple of large rubber bands around the wallet and keep it in a deep front pocket. For women: Carry your purse "cross shoulder" and use a large safety pin (diaper pin) to secure the zipper.

And then there are a few general things you can do. Do not wear expensive jewelry! Clean out your wallet and purses and only carry the credit cards and cash you need at that time (leave the rest locked in a safe). If you have a lot of cash keep it in several different places. A good example would be to keep money in a money belt but a smaller amount in your pocket (then you do not have to reach for your money belt whenever you make a small purchase. When you get cash out an ATM try to only use bank ATMs (preferably in a secure location) and be aware of your surroundings (good at any time). Have a spouse or friend be "on the lookout" while you are concentrating on the ATM. And make sure the ATM has not been rigged with a "sniffer" which can read your ATM card (you can read about this on the internet). Oh, and for the ladies...never, ever put your purse under a table (we see this all the time and have watched purses being snatched).

As to "mising the ship" there are techniques that can minimize the problem. Try to travel to your furthest point early in the day and work your way back towards the port. Always have a "Plan B" transportation plan and the time to use it. For example, if you take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome you should know that if there happened to be a problem with the return train you could take a taxi. Its not cheap, but it will work! But you do need to have the cash or be prepared to use an ATM. Always have the name and phone number of your ship's port agent (they usually have this in the daily program given to you on the ship or you can ask at the guest relations desk). If you were to realize that you would miss the ship (or be late) you can immediately notify the agent. Assuming that your passport was locked in your room safe (or being held by the cruise line) you can then arrange to have your passport given to the local agent so you can later retrieve it!

We could write a book about this stuff and we used to think that most of it was just common sense. But having talked to many other travelers it is amazing how many simply do not have a clue! We were recently on a cruise in Norway and were sitting in a cafe in Oslo when a fellow passenger just happened to walk next to our table while taking to his friend. As he walked by his wallet was sticking out of his back pocket (I could have easily taken it) and this guy was a very well-traveled man.

Hank

We will often use a simple common sense strategy when in Europe. If we are going far from the port and know it will be difficult to catch the ship the following day (perhaps its a day at sea) we will always plan on being back near the port early. However, if we know we can easily catch the ship the following day (such as a ship going from Civitavecchia to Livorno) we might cut it a bit tight with the knowledge that if we did miss the ship we would simply spend the night in a hotel, have a very nice dinner, and catch the ship tomorrow (making the best out of a bad situation).

Hank

Men carrying things in front pockets, really is not safe either. When we were in Monaco, getting on the train, the thief was behind our friend as we were stepping on the train. He just reached into the front pocket and got his money clip. Quick as a wink.

I now carry all of our cash and also important docs in a zippered inside pocket in a travel vest. I got the vest at one of the on-line travel clothing companies. The vests are also made for men.

My DH wear a vest or a jacket with zipped inside pocket along with a copy of our credit card. And I carry only copies of ID and very little money. But we witnessed an attempt of pickpocketing in Barcelona about 10 years ago. Always need to be careful.

While traveling in Rome, at our hotel one morning, one of our fellow travelors told us that he had his "fanny pack" with everything important in it stolen while riding the subway. Our friends who were traveling with us, and had lived in Italy for several years, said to us "look at how that guy was dressed---just like an unsuspecting American tourist" I don't want to sterio-type anyone but, he was wearing shorts, white socks and sneakers, a baseball cap and the fannypack at the end of September. Unfortunately, he stood out, just ripe for the picking.

First, we must not have easy-to-reach valuables. Wallets do not belong in back pockets. Backpacks are easy targets.

Second, we should not have much to take. A couple of credit cards (in case one doesn't work!) and only enough cash for incidentals.

Third, we should have these items well hidden and preferably under clothes.

Last, if we are approached, a good loud voice will discourage the perpetrators.

It is very difficult for a tourist not to look like one. There is the ubiquitous camera and also, we are on vacation and do not dress like we are going to an office. (even without the shorts, white sneakers & baseball cap!)

Always carry any credit cards or money in your front pants pocket where it is easier for you to keep your hand on while in crowds.

Good advice.

I have some "trekking" pants that have zippered front pockets and an inside pocket for credit cards. The latter will hold the ship's key card, one credit card I'm going to carry on excusions (for emergencies) and my government-issued photo ID (the new German ID cards are credit card-sized, as are the newer European driver's licenses). Trying to pick that pocket would practically constitute indecent assault, and impossible to go unnoticed.

The front zippered pockets will hold cash - small change and maybe one or two small notes ($1 to $5 or 5 Euros) in the right hand pocket for petty cash expenses and panhandlers, a reasonable amount for the day in larger notes in the left hand pocket. I'm not much into shopping on vacation, so that suits me fine. If I need more, I often use the card for an ATM in a safe location as my Visa card does not charge a fee for cash withdrawals but 1.75% for using it to pay directly in non-Euro currencies.

Mobile phone goes into the zippered breast pocket of my shirt.

So the only thing I have to be careful about is my camera. No good way to keep a SLR camera in your pocket, the thing weighs three pounds or so! I put the bag in front of me when in doubt, and in really crowded areas I may pull the rain hood over the bag so that all the zippers and buckles are covered.

On my ;ast cruise I wore Cargo pants which i further shut the pockets with diaper pins. So far so good .Never carried a purse except when i had to have my passport and documents with me Then I locked my little purse with a combination lock and put it in front of me across my chest Had they gotten it They would have needed solid shears to cut it I once had one and we could no longer open it ..it was very difficult to cut WE neede very strong shears and it took quite a while to cut

In some places like GREECE I put big bills in my shoes Sad but true this bad economy has brought the worse in people

Michele

I'm with you about the cargo pants with zippered, snapped pockets on my thigh. I never have anything bulky in them, just a little cash and maybe a credit card.

With credit cards, we each carry a different card. Neither card has any automatic payments on it like the cell phone bill or the satellite TV bill so their cancellation in the event of a mishap won't get us home to no electricity because the light bill was paid via an automatic credit card payment.

I make copies of the credit cards, front and back and keep them with our other travel documents so that the numbers and the telephone number to call is available if the card is stolen.

For an ATM card, I have a separate checking account we only use for travel. I keep very little cash in it, just what I think we might need while traveling. (I can easily transfer more cash into it if necessary) If the card is stolen or co-opted, they won't get my entire bank account which includes automatic deposits from pensions, etc.

Though we have taken public transportation in many European cities, if we want to do some sightseeing in a place we are not secure about, we hire a private guide in advance.

Good advice.

I have some "trekking" pants that have zippered front pockets and an inside pocket for credit cards. The latter will hold the ship's key card, one credit card I'm going to carry on excusions (for emergencies) and my government-issued photo ID (the new German ID cards are credit card-sized, as are the newer European driver's licenses). Trying to pick that pocket would practically constitute indecent assault, and impossible to go unnoticed.

The front zippered pockets will hold cash - small change and maybe one or two small notes ($1 to $5 or 5 Euros) in the right hand pocket for petty cash expenses and panhandlers, a reasonable amount for the day in larger notes in the left hand pocket. I'm not much into shopping on vacation, so that suits me fine. If I need more, I often use the card for an ATM in a safe location as my Visa card does not charge a fee for cash withdrawals but 1.75% for using it to pay directly in non-Euro currencies.

Mobile phone goes into the zippered breast pocket of my shirt.

So the only thing I have to be careful about is my camera. No good way to keep a SLR camera in your pocket, the thing weighs three pounds or so! I put the bag in front of me when in doubt, and in really crowded areas I may pull the rain hood over the bag so that all the zippers and buckles are covered.

I swear by Tilley. Velcro and secret pocket equipped shorts, jackets and pants.

http://www.tilley.com/default.aspx

For an ATM card, I have a separate checking account we only use for travel. I keep very little cash in it, just what I think we might need while traveling. (I can easily transfer more cash into it if necessary) If the card is stolen or co-opted, they won't get my entire bank account which includes automatic deposits from pensions, etc.

This is a great idea..........why didn't I think of that. Thanks.

Men carrying things in front pockets, really is not safe either. When we were in Monaco, getting on the train, the thief was behind our friend as we were stepping on the train. He just reached into the front pocket and got his money clip. Quick as a wink.

I now carry all of our cash and also important docs in a zippered inside pocket in a travel vest. I got the vest at one of the on-line travel clothing companies. The vests are also made for men.

Agree on that one. We were with some people in Athens one year, and the man had pretty deep front pockets. He got picked........

On our recent cruise around the UK, a woman on our ship was paying for something in a tourist store and left her wallet on the counter. She remembered a few minutes later and went back. The clerk told her," another woman from your ship said she knew you and would take it back to the ship" Of course, she never got it back. She lost a lot of Euro and a credit card. I only get out the cash or credit card I need from my around the neck pouch while leaving the pouch around my neck. Hope this helps someone else.

On our last trip someone in our tour was pickpocketed while entering a Barcelona subway car and the perp then pushed him in and ran. Another lady had a purse or small suitcase stolen while she sat in the lobby of a hotel in Madrid (in a quiet business neighborhood).

This is exactly what the theives are looking for...they watch your hands so that they know where your wallet is! You will need to take your hand off your wallet at some point, and that is when they steal it, like when you grab the pole in the subway car.

Maybe I have just been lucky the last 45 years of traveling to more than 60 countries. Never lost a penny yet. But thanks for your concern.

I'm taking an old wallet on next trip..putting some paper cut to bill size and seeing if I can get pick pocketed.

We use caribeaners(sp.) to make getting into backpack pockets more difficult. Also can work on some types of zippered pants. They make some that screw closed, and have found them at lowe's..not sure what they are called, but come in small sizes that are travel friendly.

We were almost backpack pocketed in Barcelona two years ago..learned a big lesson with luckily no loss of property.

I think its alarming that a travel proponent like Steve's is ringing the bell on this. It must really be bad now with Euro going down the tubes.

Each time we travel we wear and hold less and less . The more improverished you look, the less likely you will be bothered. We were in Buenos Aires in 2010 and we wore plain t shirts, jeans and old worn shoes. The Gypsies just passed us by. I wore a $1 rubber watch and a baseball cap with no logo from Dollar Tree.

and we do wear those inside pants money pouches.

I am not a proponent of taunting those criminals. there are those deviants who might give you a thrashing.

Great article by Rick Steves - he does a great job IMHO

Hearing your stories almost makes me not want to go back to Europe. Was there in 2001 and had no problems at all.

If I have to safe-guard my stuff and watch myself that carefully, is it worth it?

Go, enjoy. My wife and I drove from Sicily to Boznia, without hotel reservations, just guide book. No stainless steel wallets, just the same common sence I would use in Chicago or New Orleans.

I was the victim in the National gallery in Washington, DC. Admission is free....easier for a pickpoct than the metro. Be careful in museums. My spouse got hit in Barcelona. We now use Pacsafe bags going to museums anywhere and also in any city where we might be in a crowd. Also, men put a decoy (old empty or $1) wallet in your back pocket. Given a choice the pickpocket will aim for that instead of the real wallet.

My late aunt who lived in New York City and traveled to work on the Subway called that "mugger money"

I haven't lost a penny either, but I did lose a brand new $1000 camera right out of our backpack!

Wow. That hurts. That cost sounds like an SLR which is large. Normally the rats don't fool with something they can't stick in their pockets but there is always the exception.

I think its alarming that a travel proponent like Steve's is ringing the bell on this. It must really be bad now with Euro going down the tubes.

Each time we travel we wear and hold less and less . The more improverished you look, the less likely you will be bothered. We were in Buenos Aires in 2010 and we wore plain t shirts, jeans and old worn shoes. The Gypsies just passed us by. I wore a $1 rubber watch and a baseball cap with no logo from Dollar Tree.

and we do wear those inside pants money pouches.

I am not a proponent of taunting those criminals. there are those deviants who might give you a thrashing.

Steves puts out these warnings periodically and has been doing it for years. I don't think things are getting worse in Europe -- in fact, in some cities it is getting better. (Barcelona and Naples being notable exceptions, in my experience).

The best thing to do is to be situationally aware AND to carry your valuables inside your clothing. Front pockets are not secure. Zippered outside pockets are not secure. (My son's friend had his wallet taken out of a zipped pocket in his cargo shorts without feeling a thing.) Put your things inside your clothing and you won't have to worry.

A lot of people put their faith into the PacSafe products. I have mixed feelings about them. For one thing, if someone decides to do a purse snatch from a scooter (as sometimes happens in Naples or Rome), you could be dragged along with them and suffer injuries.

I've traveled a lot as a solo woman on my own, and I still feel safer in most European cities than in many US cities of comparable size.

Archived