Carrying own luggage

shannonrt3

They do allow you to do this, as long as the luggage will fit through the xray machine.

I have a medium sized suitcase they will not allow me to carry on that easily fits thru the xray machine.

Some ports allowed it and some like New Orleans said no (so they are not consistent, no big surprise).

Dont assume if it fits thru the xray machine you can carry it on.

I have not seen size restrictions on the Carnival web site but of course one needs to be able to easily carry it on if it is "carryon". I have seen very large looking suitcases being carried on here in San Diego.

The ones on carnival.com show two dimensions only for restrictions .. and these are for carry ons.

Galveston at one time even had a basket to show carry on size, which mach says has been done away with.

This is from the carnival website:

"...In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage."

This is from the carnival website:

"...In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage."

Jinx~! ;):D

In 2009, we were on the Carnival Liberty. We rolled our own luggage on, so we didn't have to wait for it to arrive at our room. Do they still allow you to do this?

I have a more basic question. If you have a small carry one bag, why is it so important that the luggage be at your room immediately? It is a lot easier to let them handle the stuff and it always gets there eventually.

DON

Me too! What's the big deal? Just carry on your own luggage. I am waiting for them to charge us for "Checked luggage", I don't understand why anyone would want your weeks worth of clothes to go to a stranger at the port. We head straight to the lido deck, park our bags in a corner, sit fairly close so we can keep a eye on them, sit back and enjoy our vacation. No worries...

I don't understand why anyone would want your weeks worth of clothes to go to a stranger at the port. We head straight to the lido deck, park our bags in a corner, sit fairly close so we can keep a eye on them, sit back and enjoy our vacation. No worries...

I do. Because my stuff's heavy and I don't feel like dealing with it. I'd prefer that a port staffer who's been screened by Homeland Security deal with it so I'm not tethered to a bag.

I personally don't understand the big deal with leaving the luggage with a porter. They have plenty of chances to steal better stuff than mine.

We have done both. On shorter cruises we do carry on our bags.. Doesn't make since to have to pay someone to put a "small" bag on a carry. I'm able body. LOL So we carry our stuff on. But for longer trips or cruises with more baggage, I don't mind checking them.

I don't understand why anyone would want your weeks worth of clothes to go to a stranger at the port. We head straight to the lido deck, park our bags in a corner, sit fairly close so we can keep a eye on them, sit back and enjoy our vacation. No worries...

I don't understand why anyone would want to tote their own stuff around! I head straight to the Lido deck, park my butt in a chair, order a drink, sit back and enjoy my vacation. No worries... :D

Benefits of carrying on your own stuff:

- no extortionist "intimidation fee" payable to the porters

- immediate access upon boarding

- no risk of loss, delay or damage. This includes the fact you don't need to worry about keeping "must haves" and valuables in a true carry-on.

Benefits of leaving it with the porters:

- you don't have to carry it. This is more of an issue if you have mobility problems.

With a family of four and considering that we're flying across continent for our cruises (in which case we're probably spending a few days on either side to see the country), we each have our own full-size suitcase and invariably one of them is delayed well into the evening (basically, don't plan on having anything in your suitcase until the following day).

For passengers who board early and like to strictly abide by the "cabin available" time, then having your bags with you can be a hassle. For those who board later or who treat the cabin available time as a principles-based guideline, it is no big deal.

We tried to carry on all our luggage one time and were denied. I can't remember the reason they gave us, but it seemed logical at the time.

We have however carried on a single duffle bag each since then and were okay. We packed super-light and carried it on and off the ship that way. But I have to say, it was NOT express disembarkation... if there's anything I've learned, it's that you cannot count on getting off the ship early...

I have a medium sized suitcase they will not allow me to carry on that easily fits thru the xray machine.

Some ports allowed it and some like New Orleans said no (so they are not consistent, no big surprise).

Dont assume if it fits thru the xray machine you can carry it on.

My wife and I have been on 13 CCL cruises and she always carries on her suitcase. It is a full size suitcase packed tight and she has never been denied boarding. Tha xray machine is 16 inches high and 18 inches wide so it will accomodate pretty big totes. I say give it a try. If not then you can check it.

Archived