Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future (Continued)

CC Help Jenn

Patti--

I should have listened to you! After nine weeks, RCI has passed the buck on the staph infection I got from acupuncture onboard Radiance to Steiner Transocean, the spa concessionaire.

Several people on our current roll call have suggested writing directly to Adam Goldstein. I'm considering that but I'm also in touch with a cruise/maritime lawyer.

Do they really have so many complaints that it takes this long to get a response? Or is it a case of being badly understaffed? Both letters I've had from them in the nine weeks since they received my letter and documentation -- including the ship's doctor's diagnosis and my own doctor's evaluation and photographs of the infection as it progressed -- were clearly form letters.

This is one Diamond member who is not impressed.

Frank in sunny but cool SBA:cool:

Very sorry to hear this. I am not impressed with your status either.

I hope you are feeling better!

Happy New Year!

Linda

Hi Libby, would love to see you and Bob and Reyno but we will be winging our way to LA to spend a couple days before we fly to Sydney and start our 6 weeks on Radiance. I should pick your brain as we will be doing the reverse of what you guys did in the Fall.

I am SO envious! We love our time on the RD this fall. Would love to have you pick my brain. I can't find your email address - would love to connect. My email is

libbychild7@gmail Dot com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find any threads. We are on the Radiance in July, SB Alaska, and wondered what time they usually do shows in the evenings? We have flexible/My Time dining but might want to pre-reserve dining times some nights. Our 11 year old is excited about the shows so we don't want to plan dinner at a time a show is happening. Anyone know? Patti?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find any threads. We are on the Radiance in July, SB Alaska, and wondered what time they usually do shows in the evenings? We have flexible/My Time dining but might want to pre-reserve dining times some nights. Our 11 year old is excited about the shows so we don't want to plan dinner at a time a show is happening. Anyone know? Patti?

The Production Shows/Headliner Entertainment are usually scheduled at 7PM for those with Second Seating (8:30) and 9PM for those with First Seating (6:00). The shows usually last about 45 minutes to one hour.

There will be one Welcome Aboard as well as Farewell Show and they will both be at 9PM.

I am going to be on Radiance May 4, 11 and 18 so if you would like, I can check that out for you.

Edited by cruisenfever

On Sept 9, 2011 - the last southbound cruise on Radiance, the welcome aboard show was at 10:45 for all guests. This is because departure wasn't until 9pm and it allowed all guests to be done with dinner.

Day 2 Sept 10 - 9 and 10:45

Day 3 Sept 11 - 9 and 10:45

Day 4 Sept 12 - only late night comedy, nothing else 10:45

Day 5 Sept 13 - 7 and 9

Day 6 Sept 14 - 7 and 9

Day 7 Sept 15 - 7 and 9 - yes there are 2 farewell shows and there have been every time I've been on Radiance.

As you can see times can and will vary most likely. Doing MTD if you want to see the shows, it's best to make your reservations around the same times as regular dining. They don't require reservations on Radiance. Or maybe you can wait to get your cruise compass each night and make your reservations around the times listed for the next day. Since the entire upstairs of the dining room is now MTD it's not usually difficult to get a seat at any time. I suppose that can vary from cruise to cruise depending on popularity of MTD among that particular group of guests.

Gina

On Sept 9, 2011 - the last southbound cruise on Radiance, the welcome aboard show was at 10:45 for all guests. This is because departure wasn't until 9pm and it allowed all guests to be done with dinner.

Day 2 Sept 10 - 9 and 10:45

Day 3 Sept 11 - 9 and 10:45

Day 4 Sept 12 - only late night comedy, nothing else 10:45

Day 5 Sept 13 - 7 and 9

Day 6 Sept 14 - 7 and 9

Day 7 Sept 15 - 7 and 9 - yes there are 2 farewell shows and there have been every time I've been on Radiance.

As you can see times can and will vary most likely. Doing MTD if you want to see the shows, it's best to make your reservations around the same times as regular dining. They don't require reservations on Radiance. Or maybe you can wait to get your cruise compass each night and make your reservations around the times listed for the next day. Since the entire upstairs of the dining room is now MTD it's not usually difficult to get a seat at any time. I suppose that can vary from cruise to cruise depending on popularity of MTD among that particular group of guests.

Gina

Oops, forgot about the 2 Farewell Shows.:o Welcome Aboard showtime is determined by when departure is. Forgot about that.

Maybe the shows are later on certain days because of the itinerary. You'd think after 15 cruises on her I would remember the times.

Edited by cruisenfever

Oops, forgot about the 2 Farewell Shows.:o Welcome Aboard showtime is determined by when departure is. Forgot about that.

Maybe the shows are later on certain days because of the itinerary. You'd think after 15 cruises on her I would remember the times.

I've wondered if some of the entertainers get to call the shots when it comes to time. I do find it a bit annoying that they keep switching times since we do late dinner (MTD). Switching between 7 and 10:45 is a big change. Although they each have their disadvantages. 7 cuts into CL time. 10:45 cuts into my sleep. :o I'm always embarrassed to fall asleep in the front row. :eek:

Gina

Interesting, Thank you Gina. I guess I don't need to worry about trying to reserve on-line before we sail if MTD is that accessible. Your show times from Sept. give me a good idea how to plan, along with any news from Patti in May.

Dana

Hi all,

Love this thread. Am booked for my first ever cruise, and booked Radiance sailing on 30th December out of Sydney. (South Pacific cruise)

I have 3 kids with me and have booked cabins 1518 and 1520. Can anyone provide any information about these cabins?

I also could not help but laugh at all the posts about the spiders and flies. I have only lived in Australia for 4 years, but have been told that you not a real Aussie till you have mistakenly swallowed your first fly. :eek:

Stay safe folks.

Regards,

Daniel

Interestingly, the fly situation in Melbourne this Summer has not been as bad as in the past IMO.

I was told that this is as a result of the devastating bush fires, where millions of flies and their eggs were killed.

I have 3 kids with me and have booked cabins 1518 and 1520. Can anyone provide any information about these cabins?

Love the Radiance! You have an E1 category (Oceanview with balcony) and these are connecting staterooms. They are located forward on Deck 10, just down from the Bridge. Fyi- you can obtain info/reviews by googling your ship and stateroom number. And I'm sure someone here can chime in too, on the particular stateroom. Enjoy your first cruise on the beautiful Radiance! :)

:D I copied your deleted post from the notification over to our roll call. We were just discussing pier arrival times.

~Patti :)

Dang it, I keep forgetting about that notification.:o:p

Since the 9/27 cruise had Noro on it, the ship was cleaned twice more after we docked in Sydney by a private cleaning company. All consecutive cruisers had to be off and either take the complimentary shore excursion offered or just do Sydney on our own. We had to be off the ship, as we were told, until 1PM.

When we got back to the pier it was about 11:30AM and the line outside was loooonnnng and people were not happy. The terminal used at Circular Quay is different than what we are used to here in the states. The lines formed outside and check-in was inside.:eek:

We were able to board right away by showing our "in transit cards" and we boarded on Deck 2 through the "crew" entrance. I just wanted you all to be aware that you may have a long wait before boarding. Maybe they have ironed out all the hiccups as it was the first time Radiance had docked there.

Interestingly, the fly situation in Melbourne this Summer has not been as bad as in the past IMO.

I was told that this is as a result of the devastating bush fires, where millions of flies and their eggs were killed.

I heard Freemantle was the place for flies.:eek: From Patti, maybe?:confused:

I heard Freemantle was the place for flies.:eek: From Patti, maybe?:confused:

Yep, that's the place. There were other ports where we encountered the fly problem, but remember we were there in October which was spring to them. Maybe they aren't as bad in the summer.

Another problem we ran into in Fremantle were Lady Bugs..........millions of them all over the decks clinging to everything. Lucky for us, the did not accompany the ship when we left that evening but we did find one in our cabin on the sliding glass door.

Patti, You indicated on your roll call that you didn't now what CFP was in your currency comparison.

The French Pacific Franc (XPF) is also known as CFP franc. There are many tour operators and vendors among the islands in French Polynesia that will only accept this type of currency.

We got 8000 XPF (about $150USD, rates fluctuate daily) before we left and used it all up between the 3 islands that we visited. If you are going to use a taxi, you need that currency.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks Patti. So it's also called XPF? I will have to look that one up.....because I couldn't find CFP's on my currency converter.

Because of the surcharges on credit cards in Australia we are trying to decide on how to obtain currencies for the cab to the hotel in Sydney. If we are going to purchase funds in advance we might add CFP's on there too. Thanks. :)

Thanks Patti. So it's also called XPF? I will have to look that one up.....because I couldn't find CFP's on my currency converter.

Because of the surcharges on credit cards in Australia we are trying to decide on how to obtain currencies for the cab to the hotel in Sydney. If we are going to purchase funds in advance we might add CFP's on there too. Thanks. :)

You're welcome. And yes XPF is the same as CFP but when converting use XPF. We purchased all of our currency through Wells Fargo. Got the best rate at the time. We ordered it on a Monday afternoon and the FedEx lady was knocking at our door at 10AM on Tuesday.

Can't find it on my converter either, but we are planning on getting Australian currency from the bank before we go in March. When will you be there. We get in from our cruise on the Radiance on March 24 and plan on spending a few days.

I found it on the BofA website under French Polynesia (XPF).

Have a great time. We are on the April 5 repositioning cruise, with stops in Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all,

We are going be riding on Radiance in September from Vancouver to Hawaii. Can someone tell me which pier the ship docks at in Vancouver, sorry I am not familiar with the area when it comes to cruise ships. Is it Ballantyne Pier or Canada Place Pier?

Bill