Weird Issues Raised

navybankerteacher

Yes, but often what happens is someones asks a question, gets a good answer but others chime in with their own opinion on some other item which really was not what the OP was asking about.

For example, if someone says should I bring an umbrella to Alaska. The question is answered but then someone say I don't like umbrellas. Well, that was not the question. The question was should one take an umbrella to Alaska. The question was not does someone like umbrellas.

Many times it is not the question but the answers that get way off the mark.

Keith

Why don't you like umbrellas? :confused: :p

Sticking to the point is OK, but occasionally some reply sets the thread off on a whole new tangent -- "hijacking" it I suppose; but it can be interesting to see where threads go -- sort a stream of consciousness exercise that opens a whole range of (frequently inane) sub-topics.

In any event, this whole site is not to be taken too seriously --- it provides an amusing set of frequently absurd, sometimes helpful, answers to questions, the most serious of which should be put to cruise lines, Customs and Immigration officials or airlines --leaving only the answere to trivial questions to be taken seriously -- and, since they deal with trivial points, what is the problem with wandering off topic?

Sort of like the game we played in grade school - whisper a sentence to the person next to you, then on down the line and the what the last person heard is nothing like what was said originally.

If you want fireworks go to the family board - someone asks if the ship has baby food on board and the next 15 people tell the OP their child should be eating table food by now.

Of course -- if a child is old enough to cruise shouldn't he/she be expected to eat the same miserably small portions of slowly served, over-salty, badly cooked food as the rest of us?

Over the past couple years I have learned so much on cruise critic...........good tips, and sarcastic remarks.

I really appreciate the great tips, and now have learned to avoid the sarcasm.

I have made some stupid posts over the threads, and have learned from my mistakes........yes, have been criticized.

But, I learned to respect those with vast knowledge, and ones who provide "live" posts.

Only once did I post something so profoundly criticized by the members and I knew I was in deep trouble when someone asked for POPCORN on my thread.

Now, unless I really know a fact or really have something good to offer, I mostly just read.

Too bad you don't get credit for just reading (lol) my number count would exceed some of our super posters.

Ooops, now I did it hijcacked a thread.............

Ask away with the questions.............it provides great reading material.

Thanks

Safe travels

Sue and crew

OK back to topic ..

I am cruising in the fall. It is acceptable to wear white?

How come OV windows do not open but there are balconies. This answer was answered with a question to the OP of and just where do you think the water would go? .. OP .. light bulb goes on ... Oh yeah, I never thought of that.

:D

It these things that will keep me entertained until our next cruise, LOL

I have to agree with marco on this one. I'm fairly new to cruisecritc and I'm usually looking for info or the answer to a question based on what the original post is. I've found that most threads, once there are 50-ish or more posts, if you go to the last post, more often than not, it has nothing to do with the original post....very frustrating when you have the same question and are looking for answers.

OK, so the OP was about weird questions. You responded about not liking how threads get off topic. Do you understand now how thread drift happens?:rolleyes:

That question I believe is quite legit. It would seem to be OK.

Airlines regard ANY liquid with deep suspicion, I nearly lost a bottle of nose drops once.

Be honest. 'Could you tell the difference between, beer, whiskey, or gasoline, if all were in similar generic bottles?'

john

I totally get that. They made me feel like a criminal once because I had a Tide pen and a tube of mascara in my carry-on once.

:confused:

Another thing I find peculiar (albeit amusing) is the number of responses some people have on these boards. There is one in particular that has over 50K posts, and I don't think I've gone to any post, ever, where this member has not posted a reply. They've never started a thread, but post on just about EVERYTHING! I think sometimes just for the sake of posting, as if a question is well answered correctly, they still HAVE to post, with the exact same information, just to post. Or, if someone is new to the boards and asks a question, say pertaining to HAL, they post something like "Welcome to Cruise Critic...you'll probably get an answer quicker if you post on the HAL board". They've got to be on these boards pretty close to 24/7....maybe it's their job?!?!?!?!? Well.....I guess better to be on this site all of the time then some of the sites that litter the internet!

I've seen some of the questions the OP has referred to but didn't think they were strange at all. Sometimes it is a question I would never ask and don't care what the answer is so I just don't read that post. As one who asks A LOT of questions, I firmly believe there is no bad question - just an opportunity to learn (for me or for the poster).

Another thing I find peculiar (albeit amusing) is the number of responses some people have on these boards. There is one in particular that has over 50K posts, and I don't think I've gone to any post, ever, where this member has not posted a reply. They've never started a thread, but post on just about EVERYTHING! I think sometimes just for the sake of posting, as if a question is well answered correctly, they still HAVE to post, with the exact same information, just to post. Or, if someone is new to the boards and asks a question, say pertaining to HAL, they post something like "Welcome to Cruise Critic...you'll probably get an answer quicker if you post on the HAL board". They've got to be on these boards pretty close to 24/7....maybe it's their job?!?!?!?!? Well.....I guess better to be on this site all of the time then some of the sites that litter the internet!

The one that gets me is the posters who post only 4 or 5 words every post. Never anything informative just posting for the sake of posting. I don't mind people offering a duplicate opinion so much because in may reinforce what others are saying. But to just give some pithy little comment each and every post? Why bother? Their not offering anything worthwhile to the discussion. I was so happy when I discovered I could "ignore" a poster!

The one that gets me is the posters who post only 4 or 5 words every post. Never anything informative just posting for the sake of posting. I don't mind people offering a duplicate opinion so much because in may reinforce what others are saying. But to just give some pithy little comment each and every post? Why bother? Their not offering anything worthwhile to the discussion. I was so happy when I discovered I could "ignore" a poster!

What she said.

(Only three words.)

I will make a quick answer, IF that is all that is needed, IF it is a new thread, and IF the short point is relevant, and not mentioned by other posters.

IMO, this is way better than a long winded post that rehashes what has already been written.

In short, if a person has nothing good to add, leave it alone.

In the old days I was taught to write as if it was a telegram, being CHARGED 5c a word.

john

I will make a quick answer, IF that is all that is needed, IF it is a new thread, and IF the short point is relevant, and not mentioned by other posters.

IMO, this is way better than a long winded post that rehashes what has already been written.

In short, if a person has nothing good to add, leave it alone.

In the old days I was taught to write as if it was a telegram, being CHARGED 5c a word.

john

One of my favorites are the passport threads.

There will be at least a dozen:

"But if you don't have a passport and there is an emergency you won't be able to fly home".:eek:

Archived