Members writing poor HAL reviews

pictonite

Can anyone answer this for me?

I have read some negative reviews on the HAL reviews board, and when I look up the "members" on the members list here, I cannot find them listed - this is particularly to do with the recent reviews of the Oosterdam. Can people write reviews without registering as Cruise Critic members, and having their profiles listed? I really wanted to check to see if these reviewers had experienced any satisfactory cruises in the past, and what their history was with Cruise Critic.

Help, anyone?

These boards are a great resource, but I agree you have to use good judgement and weed out posts that might be serving some agenda - this goes for both positive and negative reviews.

This point extends to other issues as well - for example, a cursory examination of the frequent, vitriolic 'dress code' threads reveals that a very few but very vocal posters dominate the discussions, attempting to browbeat people into sartorial splendor. To the point that a novice cruiser on HAL would believe that standard attire in the MDR is tuxes, tails, and gowns - and that jeans or shorts are forbidden. :D

I have seen a few comments-not just about bad reviews, but about the dress codes, too-that would be considered trolling, from very "established" posters. Luckily, most of those posts get reported and yanked pretty quickly.

There is some great information-learned a lot of stuff before my most recent cruise that was a HUGE help for me. But you do have to read through a lot of stuff. It's worth it, though.

I have seen a few comments-not just about bad reviews, but about the dress codes, too-that would be considered trolling, from very "established" posters.

Yes - I've refrained from commenting about dress on the recent dress code threads precisely so as not to feed the trolls.

From one of the negative reviews:

One last comment on food. My wife wanted a vegetarian meal the first night, nothing on the menu. The waiter said that you have to order that 24 hours before you meal time. What?????

Any HAL ship I've been on in the last three years has had a vegetarian dinner entree available in the MDR. I cruised loooooooooooong before vegetarian was a mainstream choice, and always managed to find something to eat in the MDR. Even now, no longer vegetarian, I always check to see what the daily offering is.

From another negative review:

After watching so many different movies over the years, I had a vision of being treated like a queen in a large stateroom and wearing beautiful clothes and having great dinners.

I'm thinking this person may have boarded with some unrealistic expectations. Possibly her wardrobe met her expectations?

Another recent negative review was written by someone who HAS posted under the ID they used for their review -- most of the posts were about the chance of getting upgraded (pre-cabin-assignment) and the chance of getting upgraded at the pier (post-cabin-assignment). To me, I think that poster's disappointment in not getting an enormous upgrade influenced their entire cruise to some degree.

I do the same thing as you -- check for the reviewer's name in the member list for both good and bad reviews. If I can't find them as a member, I am somewhat less trusting of the review.

I'm boarding the O-dam on Oct 4. Do I have some concerns? Yes, primarily about the number of people onboard -- this will be the largest HAL ship I've been on. I'm also irrationally concerned that the O-dam is going to break down on its way to Vancouver after its drydock, and we will all be standing outside the terminal, waiting interminably to board. Or I will get the one cabin that didn't quite get finished on time :)

I've gotten a lot of helpful information here, but I'm most comfortable when I'm hearing it from several different posters.

I started CC on the X board, and the dress code comments at that time almost convinced me not to cruise at all. I've since learned to relax and spot the trolls.

We sailed the Westerdam last November and the MDR was understaffed. Most of those who came back commented on that. Then things improved. That's way of things. One can keep reading and see if problems are dealt with.

Though at the least the true grumps make me feel so well-adjusted!

My wife and I have been with HAL for over 25 years and would not even think about jumping ship but from time to time there are issues that require commenting. Even the best can have issues that require correcting. We are not being over critical only trying to be honest as we do with all surveys upon completion of a HAL cruise. On a scale of 1-10 we would rate HAL a very strong 9, thus the reason we keep coming back.

I'm thinking this person may have boarded with some unrealistic expectations. Possibly her wardrobe met her expectations?

I'm looking forward to great dinners. We had them on the Oosterdam in May. And we're also looking forward to a large stateroom, as it's a wraparound aft SC that we have in November. I doubt if it's living like a king, since they tend to have large private yachts and personal servants at a minimum, and my clothes are more functional formal than beautiful, but I know I have very realistic expectations to have a great Oosterdam cruise in November.

Prior dealings with other cruiselines can certainly affect one's judgment. I've done both extremes, Regent and Carnival, so it's easy to place HAL somewhere in the middle, and I found when I placed it there, HAL ended up exceeding my expectations. For that, I was gratified.

I really feel that the happy cruisers seem to post much less than the ones that are disatisfied. Shame on us.

We were on the "O" for the first time last November and I too was a tad bit concerned after reading so many bad reviews. No cruise is perfect but the "O" was pretty wonderful.

Can anyone answer this for me?

I have read some negative reviews on the HAL reviews board, and when I look up the "members" on the members list here, I cannot find them listed - this is particularly to do with the recent reviews of the Oosterdam. Can people write reviews without registering as Cruise Critic members, and having their profiles listed? I really wanted to check to see if these reviewers had experienced any satisfactory cruises in the past, and what their history was with Cruise Critic.

Help, anyone?

I'm pretty sure this is the scenario:

A person must be a member to post a review, but they don't show up on the member list and you can't see their profile until they post on one of the forums. There may be some legitimate members who don't post on the forums but do post reviews. If you click on their name you will see a list of the reviews that person has posted. IMHO, someone whose only participation on cruise critic has been to post a single review has a suspect agenda.

Roy

I tend to trust the reviews posted directly to the boards where the reviewer engages with the community much more than those posted to the review section. Those who post both places tend to be more credible in my mind. Also, if nothing positive is mentioned, then I tend to believe that the reviewer can't be pleased.

I raised my fair share of complaints regarding the Oo, but also found a number of positives. In my case, I do think my expectations may have been a problem given that I was led to believe that HAL was an enormous step up from the other major lines. Despite this, the cruise couldn't have been too bad as I'm going to be back on the Oo in December and on another HAL cruise in May. Thus, despite my criticisms, I'll have three HAL cruises under my belt in a Year's time.

Also keep in mind that the Oo will be freshly out of dry dock, so some of the complaints you may have read will be addressed before you get onboard. As for crowds, the only place I recall encountering them is in the lido, which I personally felt had too little seating for the size of the ship. However, this seems to be a common complaint/problem across all of the lines.

Enjoy your cruise and I'm looking forward to your report.

I amost never go to the review section.

I am (for the most part) only interested in HAL Reviews and if they are not written here on this forum, I rarely see them. I like it when people post it in both places.

They've gone to the work of writing it so it seems logical to me they'd post it here as well as in the review section.

That, of course, would end the business of a reviewer being registered but not being on the members list as they would be on the list by posting the review to any of the cruise line forums.

I like it when people post it in both places.
I like it when they post in the review section, but give a short summary and a link here, so you can easily go read the full account if interested.

DW and I have had "formal" reviews rejected because they weren't complete enough, failing to mention all aspects that you give rating stars to. When we post them here, we find ourselves defending any negative things we said ... so now I post neither place, and she ignores any replies to the ones she posts!

That's a shame, John.

You well know I have been torn apart because someone (s) didn't like my comments about my cruise the way we experienced it but that doesn't stop me. As long as I know I have honestly stated my views and opinions, I roll with it. When the comments get so harsh and hurtful we all lose. We have lost by your ceasing to post your comments about your cruisess here and I, for one, am very sorry about that. I value your opinion and would like to read what you have to say.

BUT, I get it. ;)

I'm pretty sure this is the scenario:

A person must be a member to post a review, but they don't show up on the member list and you can't see their profile until they post on one of the forums. There may be some legitimate members who don't post on the forums but do post reviews.

Roy

That is the answer I received from an administrator to a similar question back in May, 2010. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1193479

All user submitted reviews are suspect. It would be easy for any cruise line employee to post good reviews about his line and bad reviews for the competitor's line.

A cruise line would be foolish to let someone posting a popular "live from" thread have a less than perfect cruise. I would assume they give better attention to their cheerleaders when they are cruising, too.

When there's a very negative review, I try to ask some questions to clarify the issues. Even if something is contrary to my experience, I hesitate to say so for fear of being flamed for being a cheerleader.

I try to resist posting on a negative thread started by a new member whose one and only post is about complaints and who never comes back. What I want to say is "you could find this board to complain after the fact, but you couldn't find it to do some research before the cruise?" But I don't. (What is the typing version of holding one's tongue???)

Ranting posts that have nothing good to say about an entire cruise make me curious, especially when they are full of "absolute" words like always, never, all, every, none.

When a post says food was always bad, and they were never able to do something (like get into a show), I have to wonder if that's an accurate account, or an angry rant. Twenty-one meals in a week (not counting afternoon tea or late snack) and they're always unacceptable? Did they never get into the show because they had trouble one time and quit trying? Or was it because they tried every night and never got in?

That is the answer I received from an administrator to a similar question back in May, 2010. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1193479

All user submitted reviews are suspect. It would be easy for any cruise line employee to post good reviews about his line and bad reviews for the competitor's line.

A cruise line would be foolish to let someone posting a popular "live from" thread have a less than perfect cruise. I would assume they give better attention to their cheerleaders when they are cruising, too.

How would they know? Do people who post a "live from" thread identify themselves to crew or officers?

I have stopped writing 'live from threads' for the fear someone on the ship may see it and think I expect something in return for rave comments. That would embarrass me. My word and honesty mean more to me than a free dinner in Pinnacle or whatever.

;) However, if they wanted to give me free Internet minutes, I might reconsider. :D

I have stopped writing 'live from threads' for the fear someone on the ship may see it and think I expect something in return for rave comments. That would embarrass me. My word and honesty mean more to me than a free dinner in Pinnacle or whatever.

;) However, if they wanted to give me free Internet minutes, I might reconsider. :D

Maybe rave coments do pay off.

I once wrote a glowing comment about the cruise director on a Cunard cruise on the back of the comment card. The last morning, they did a drawing of comment cards to give out prizes. When the CD in question read my name as one of the winners, I thought, did I really get pulled randomly, or did saying he and his staff were "15 on a scale of 1 to 10" get me a prize. In any case, I still have my red Cunard umrella.

Archived