Subway from Penn to Red Hook

Milaandra

Hi. cabbies scare me silly, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Am I reading the subway map correctly in thinking that we should walk from Penn Station to Herald Square to take the 7 into Brooklyn?

We might take a cab from the Carroll Street station to our hotel, but at least it would be a shorter trip.

Any safety issues at evening rush hour? (arriving at Penn just before 5) Will anyone curse us out for having luggage with us?

You're reading the map wrong. The 7 doesn't stop at Herald Square and doesn't go into Brooklyn. You could take the #2 or 3 from Herald Square into downtown Brooklyn.

Regardless, you don't want to do this even if you knew the right subway to take. Luggage on a subway in rush hour is not a good idea...frankly luggage on the subway at any hour isn't that great an idea, and you won't be happy with the subway at rush hour even without luggage.

Hmmm...I'm sure a cab ride at rush hour isn't a good idea for me either. I wonder if we should pick a different train? I can take one that gets us in around 12:30.

Is a limo service better than a cab in terms of avoiding wild driving? I'm just a lousy passenger.

Hmmm...I'm sure a cab ride at rush hour isn't a good idea for me either. I wonder if we should pick a different train? I can take one that gets us in around 12:30.

Is a limo service better than a cab in terms of avoiding wild driving? I'm just a lousy passenger.

I would say limo drivers are usually a little more cautious than taxi drivers, but who knows how any individual will drive.

A car/limo service has one definite advantage over a taxi, particularly in rush hour...your fare is fixed in advance, so if you get stuck in traffic or have to take a longer route to avoid a jam, a meter isn't ticking away running up your fare.

I may have an alternative...The East River Ferry. A couple of blocks from Penn there is a free shuttle bus to the terminal, $4 for the ferry, off at Brooklyn Bridge Park, then a six minute cab ride to the hotel. Does that sound feasible?

I may have an alternative...The East River Ferry. A couple of blocks from Penn there is a free shuttle bus to the terminal, $4 for the ferry, off at Brooklyn Bridge Park, then a six minute cab ride to the hotel. Does that sound feasible?

I guess it works... I have no idea about how easy it will be to get a taxi at Brooklyn Bridge Park, or how easy it will be to wrangle your luggage onto a bus full of rush hour commuters.

IMO you're asking for a headache hauling luggage all over Manhattan at rush hour..especially if you're not sure where you are going..and if you're using mass transit. You'll be running people over, people will run into your luggage....it's really not fun...again, just my opinion...

Take a car service.....at least you'll know the fare...you just need to reserve it and find out WHERE they will meet you are there are a few exits from NY Penn Station.....

Personally I would just get a cab.......and get directions to your hotel or where ever you're headed so you'll have them...in case.

At 5 PM you are letting yourself in for massive rush hour traffic. I am serious, just calm yourself, close your eyes, take a cab, if you can get one and you will be fine. You are looking for trouble trying to take a ferry etc. with luggage, it will be a real mess. You are getting yourself all worked up over nothing. Calm yourself!:)

B.

IMO you're asking for a headache hauling luggage all over Manhattan at rush hour..especially if you're not sure where you are going..and if you're using mass transit. You'll be running people over, people will run into your luggage....it's really not fun...again, just my opinion...

Take a car service.....at least you'll know the fare...you just need to reserve it and find out WHERE they will meet you are there are a few exits from NY Penn Station.....

Personally I would just get a cab.......and get directions to your hotel or where ever you're headed so you'll have them...in case.

at rush hour your best option is car service. try dial 7's (212)777-7777 or www.dial7.com

Could the OP take the LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica and then back to Brooklyn?

Yes, but then they still have the problem of getting from Jamaica to Brooklyn. Since taxis are rare outside of Manhattan, they're probably still going to have to use a car service. It would be far, far simpler to use a car service directly from Penn Station. Trying to use public transportation with luggage at rush hour is a really, really bad idea.

Could the OP take the LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica and then back to Brooklyn? It sounds crazy, but... quite frankly the question is unusual to begin with.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION, outside Long Island Railroad station at Jamaica are Gypsy Cabs by the hundreds. DO NOT USE These cabs. People just stand outside the station and yell "Taxi, Hey You need a Taxi". They are unmetered, for the most part unlicensed and there are horror stories about what they will "take" tourists for in money and time, holding baggage hostage.

This is the same warning given at the airports about getting into taxi's that you did not call yourself or at a signed T&LC Taxi station.

As other's have stated your best bet is car service. Dial 7 or Carmelo.

wow. the train to Jamaica and back to Brooklyn to get to the Brooklyn Red hook cruise terminal. You guys are just too much. It cost about $30 to take a cab from Penn Station to the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. It takes about 20 minutes.(just have the directions with you..they are go west to west st(12th avenue-make a left and then take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel-toll cabs are required to have an EZPASS) then take the first exit in Brooklyn Hamilton Avenue make two quick lefts{yes you just made a Uturn careful not to get back into the tunnel-follow the Blue Cruise terminal Signs- a left on Van Brundt and then a right at the first light into the cruise terminal0)

Cars

2-axle passenger vehicles 7,000 lbs.

MGW (maximum gross weight) and under.

Cash

$6.50

E-ZPass

$4.80

The LIRR from Manhattan to Brooklyn Costs anywhere from $8 to 20 pp....and will take you at least an hour. plus the cost of the cab(but then again I would call Arecibo when I got there too)BTW this is only half the trip. The system wouldn't give me a fare from Penn station to Atlantic Terminal... Ticket & Fare

From Jamaica To Atlantic Terminal Type of Ticket Station/TVM On Board WebTicket Peak$8.75$15.00N/A

Off Peak$6.25$12.00N/A

The Ferry to Fulton Ferry costs $7-10 pp. and then about a $10 cab ride---I would frankly call Arecibo(a local car service) when I got off the Ferry and they will be there in 10 minutes to pick you up....7187836465 Time once on the ferry about 40-50 minutes.

As for the subway. I would take the 7th avenue express train to court street/boro hall- if you must do it. $2.25 to 2.50 per person. At Boro hall I would then also call Arecibo for the same $10.00 to take you to the cruise terminal. 25-30 minutes.

But Frankly unless I have only a back pack take a cab...if you are so afraid of a cab that you won't do this...call Arecibo to pick you up at Penn Station and for the same 30-35 you will be fine IMO....

I wasn't clear - I meant take the LIRR to Jamaica and take the LIRR back to Brooklyn. The cab would be from Atlantic Ave to the hotel.

Well, I thought it was a brilliant idea, but hubby is in favour of the limo service. I'm definitely going to push for the earlier train, though, so at least we're doing this in the middle of the day.

It's a control issue, by the way...I've been a passenger in accidents, knew it would happen but unable to do anything about it. I don't like flying for the same reason...I have a hard time releasing all control. (It's too hard to explain why trains are different) Driving with an aggressive driver or in crazy traffic is stress I like to avoid if at all possible and limit if I can't avoid it.

Archived