Westerdam & 30ft waves

midwest 852

9/17/11 Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam we spent the trip avoiding the bad weather. We missed Hubbard Glacier & Sitka! went to Tracy's Arm but not far enough to see the glacier. Five out of the six of us got seasick. I fell down the stairs & got a free tour of the medical center onboard. Green apples & sick bags were everywhere!

The ship didn't sink! And we had a amazing family vacation! :)

9/17/11 Alaskan cruise on the Westerdam we spent the trip avoiding the bad weather. We missed Hubbard Glacier & Sitka! went to Tracy's Arm but not far enough to see the glacier. Five out of the six of us got seasick. I fell down the stairs & got a free tour of the medical center onboard. Green apples & sick bags were everywhere!

Love, love, love your attitude! Nothing can be done about the weather that's for sure. Glad you made a good time out of rough weather. Certainly a holiday to remember and bet you have some awesome photos of big waves!

On our one cruise to Alaska in Sept., it was very rough, against those calm waters that we always had in May, and early June. Two 'Old Tars' were complaining on one of those spring cruises, that they hardly knew that they were on a ship.

john

We were on the ship with you! We had an amazing time despite the seas and change of itinerary.

We couldn't stay in the room (8th deck) on Sunday morning because of the movement so we took cover in the Ocean Bar. So few people walked by and the ones who did were walking from one railing to the other. Two ladies were sitting behind my husband and one kept telling the other to go outside to take pictures. She even said at one point "now, go to the bow of the ship and lean way over". I think they were sisters and the picture taker lady was getting her payback from their childhood!

My family was on the Westerdam the week before. We made it to both the Hubbard Glacier and Sitka, but we did have high winds and large swells between Hubbard and Sitka.

igraf

The video link below is of our cruise in May this year on the Bering Sea between Petropavlosk Russia & Kodiak on the Volendam.

The waves seen were up past our cabin window.

Now we understand what happens of the Crab boats!

NBW

Video highlights of the Volendam Northern Explorer cruise from Kobe,Japan to Vancouver,Canada via Busan, South Korea, Vladivostok & Petropavlosk,Russia, Kodiak Island & Sitka (via Inside Passage) Alaska May 2-17, 2011.

Sorry to hear about your rough voyage.Did you partly cruise the sheltered Inside Passage or out in the open water west of Vancouver Island?

Our local weatherman explained that the remnants of two Typhoons from Asia combined and rode the jet-stream west causing high winds

and torrential rain on Vancouver Island and the Mainland during last week!

We were on the same cruise as you and had a fantastic time too! I'm thankful the captain made the wise decision to avoid the even bigger waves. We both started feeling bad after breakfast and spent the afternoon in our cabin relaxing. We both felt well enough to make the first formal night dinner.

We were on the Veendam around Cape Horn last December and had 98 foot waves breaking over the Crow's Nest and 110 mph winds!! Captain Krombeck said it was the worst he'd seen in 27 years at sea. Wish I would have been on your cruise instead!! Glad all are safe now!

I love to hear a nice positive attitude even in the face of disappointments!

Karen, I see you were on the Island Princess (Love Boat's sister ship) in 1973 and we sailed her in 2010 as the MV Discovery (Hong Kong to Capetown) and will chose her again it again next year for another extended voyage (Singapore to Safaga). The stairwell still has her maiden port visitation plaques when she was the Island Princess. Any remembrances about her to share?

Video highlights of the Volendam Northern Explorer cruise from Kobe,Japan to Vancouver,Canada via Busan, South Korea, Vladivostok & Petropavlosk,Russia, Kodiak Island & Sitka (via Inside Passage) Alaska May 2-17, 2011.

Thanks for sharing. Nice video!

Which ship's bridge? The photo's tags looks like it may be the Statendam?

You are correct, the 2 photos from the bridge are from the Statendam. I am not sure what date last week they were taken. It would have to be either Sunday the 18th, Tuesday the 20th or Friday the 23nd of September.

They were sent to me via email yesterday from a Fellow CC member who was on board. They did not give me the date the photos were taken. I posted them to show what all of the ships went through last week:eek:

My 2 photos were taken on Friday 23 Sept 2011 after the seas had begun to calm down.

Joanie

The video link below is of our cruise in May this year on the Bering Sea between Petropavlosk Russia & Kodiak on the Volendam.

The waves seen were up past our cabin window.

Now we understand what happens of the Crab boats!

NBW

Such a stunning video ,thank you for sharing..sure hope the little octopus found its way back to the sea ;)

I was on the Westerdam September 25-29, from Vancouver to San Diego. Monday was not a good day, and we had some large waves, but I don't think the wave size was the problem. I've been in 30 foot waves that affected passengers much less. I think the problem was a combination of high waves high wind, and the ship's course, combining to produce an uncomfortable motion.

We skipped the stop in Astoria, as did the NCL Pearl.

I had spent the previous week on the Pearl, which skipped Victoria and arrived late in Ketchikan. Heavy rain and high winds there also. We had drawers sliding open and items falling off shelves, but the motion was not as bad as on the Westerdam. The cabin location was the same on both ships - aft side balcony.

Archived